Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1593930 - 01/09/11 12:27 PM KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log.
puff Offline

Loc: oxford UK

STARDATE 09 02 6011...

Got the MP6 a few days ago when I powered it on the LEDs were blinking at me - like in a mains hum cycle... then a few of the momentory butons were sticking down when pressed and then would pop up with a loud click!
So I rang the supplier who said he'd get in another unit from the distributor and swap them over...all that day I was thinking about if I should ring him back and say I wanted to cancel and get the MP10 sent instesd. The only gigging I do is on a Blues harp so weight is not that crucial.Though there is a local Jazz jam started so who knows...I started to think semi hard case with a dolly + bungies... (I use to work for an art transport company and I know about moving heavy gear you know, its all about center of gravity and balance) ... wouldnt want to move that beast on a regular basis though... anyway I came within a hair's breadth of getting the MP10.

Well Ive now decided Im gonna keep with the MP6 and Ive got no remorse cause this is one hell of a Roland RD700GX killer if not the NX and especially considering the cost.
I got this for £1099 inc. and just noticed a RD700NX for sale on Sound On Sound for £1800 so new he must have paid two grand.
The simulated escapement is a minor detail I know, but when I had the RD700GX I used to bug be when playing softly that I could feel this as an impediment . On the MP6 its there but dose not interfere with soft playing.
Right now I ve got the KOrg SV-1 88 perched above the Kawai MIDIed up and I can tell you the actual keys are (to quote a popular song)night and day and though the SVs Rhodes are warm and rounded theEPs on the Kawai are just as playable and sonicly not faraway from the Korg.

Ill post in more detail later about this smoking instument!

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1594259 - 01/09/11 09:16 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: puff]
puff Offline

Hey Frank Dad, You into clavs?
I never liked rompler clavs but just found the Setup Clavi=PedWah (2 3 D)What a blast! Just composed my first solo
funky shit clav song - you gotta realy RIDE that expression pedal though.Yeas I know the Clavs on the Electro is best to real but this it a great tool.

I hope peeps dont think Im only going to big up the MP6 cause Ive got a few nit-pick up my sleeve I can tell you (James)

It may be common knowledge that its got 256 user memory locations for your custom setups but, BIG plus - you can also extensively edit the individual sounds and save them in thier existing locations - cant re-name them here though.
This feature was added to the MP5 and MP8 in a past OS update.

And then did I mention the Acoustic Pianos? Still tweeking and formulating my opinion on them but so far its looking up.

#1594291 - 01/09/11 10:07 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: puff]
FrankDaddy Offline

Loc: Louisiana, US
Hey Puff

Enjoyed the post. I do like the Clavs. I bought a Yamaha FP7 expression pedal and did change the setup so I can control the Wah Wah effect. It is pretty cool. I did notice that you can tweak the sounds and save most of the settings. I have not been sucessfull wiring the Switch on the sounds for the leslie. I can do it on the Setups though. What is cool is you can save everything and then reset it back to stock and reload your settings. By the way I did add two tube preamps to my amp setup. It really added another dimension to the Rhodes. I ended up buying the Yamaha Stage Pas 300 and relegating my Peavey KB4 to my Rhodes Piano. But I am still in for much less than just a Yamaha CP5 or CP1. lets keep talking about what we are doing with the MP6. It really is a bargain for what it comes with.

#1594331 - 01/09/11 11:02 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: FrankDaddy]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Sounds like you are digging the MP6 Puff.

Haven't played it yet, just the MP10 which is out of the question weight wise for me. Will probably get my first listen next Friday at Namm.

It's one of a few I'm considering, wish it was a tad closer to 40 lbs instead of 50, but if I dig it it won't be a deal breaker.

I had the SV-1 88 in the summer for a month but sold it after being unhappy with the lack of sustain on the APs. So in Sept. Korg releases the soundpack 2 which imo makes a night and day difference on the APs, rhodes and wurli. But I monitor the Korg forums and I'm constantly reading about faulty keybed, key noise, startup issues not to mention various other software related bugs. So this has me a bit tentative in getting another SV-1. Love the sound but can't afford to have it screwing up on me.

How do the APs of the MP6 compare with the Korg ? How about the build quality and general feeling of the action ? Solid ? Have you downloaded the new sounds from SP2 on the SV-1 ?

#1594646 - 01/10/11 12:14 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: puff]
FrankDaddy Offline

I know this was directed at Puff but I did a lot of playing on the SV1. The APs are really nice on the SV1. I personally like the ones on the Kawai better. Also unless you load the soundpack 2 you could not split the keyboard. I did not try it with Sound Pak 2. Also there are some settings on the SV1 that cannot be changed unless you are connected to a computer. The Kawai pianos are more ture to what a Kawai Grand piano sounds like than the SV1 APs. But I lke Kawai APs. The MP6 piano samples are samples of Kawai pianos. so they are a little brighter out of the box. So that was a personal preference. The KORG pianos are a little warmer. Again I myself are still Tweaking the MP6 and I am getting them where I feel they are on parity with the KORG. The build quality is better on the Kawai compared to the KORG I used. I did not like the feel of the keyboard. It seemed to move side to side. Also the Kawai can cut through when playing with a band without having to go mono. To address the warmth, I added a tube preamp to my MP6. It really warmed the keyboard up. The DPs I think out of the box were a little better on the KORG. I loved the look of the KORG. Don't try to stack anything on it. The KORG SV1 and the Yamaha CP5 were the three I had decided on. The final factor for me was I could get the Kawai with a Yamaha Stage Pas 300 stereo PA for less than I could get a KORG SV1 and had a bigger sound pallete. The MP6 is a lot of piano for the money.

Sorry could not resist getting my 2 cents in.

#1594702 - 01/10/11 01:35 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: FrankDaddy]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1594914 - 01/10/11 06:39 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: puff]
puff Offline

Hi there Dave,

I was hoping you'd look in here as Ive been following your tortured search for a Steinway substitute!
I have got the sound pack V2 loaded in the SV and do like the new APs more
but not more than the MP.
On the MP there are more velocity adjustments and also choices of different pianos. For me the best two types are Concert Grand 1 and 2 and Pop Piano 1 and 3 ( hope youre taking notes here)The Pop variety sounds like my Yamaha U3 and also has a different dynamic to the fuller sounding Concert Grands.
So far I dont rate the Studio and Jazz grand types.Good that Frank says the piano cuts live in sterio. There are also four Mono versions and you can set the outputs to either sterio or two mono of the same signal.

I recently heard quite a good Jazzer in a trio playing the SV73 and it did sound like a piano - dont know what version..Mind you if you have a lot of technique you can play great Jazz on a 61 note Casio with a few broken keys as I have seen Jonathan Gee (great player)do on occasion.Now that was a trade off playability against portability!

Didnt like the SV keybed and that feeling grew.The MP has a solid AND smooth action - like there is some real action in there.I like it more than the Roland RDGX.I guess its like Butter and the Korg is Margarine.
The Korg aint worth it just for the piano sound alone.

The Korg SPack2 improves the Rhodes specialy the bass response alot but the Wurlies still have the anoying velosity jump and are better on the MP with a nice sounding thwack whet you hit those fifths in the bass and which incidently comes over as too much on the video demos but not when youre playing live.
The other korg bug-bears for me are the over the top levels of distortion on the amp sim and reverb settings even on the lowest settings.I wonder if they're running out of hidden secret memory for the next sound up-date!

BTW on the MP when you check it out - of the APs and EPs I think only the first twelve or so sounds are updated from the previous MP5/8 the rest are abit meh. Might not be your bag but the new Tone Wheel emulation sound prety neat too for a freebie.

Look forward to hearing what you think.

Hi Frank, Catch you later.

Edited for fidelity!

Edited by puff (01/12/11 03:29 PM)

#1594969 - 01/10/11 08:15 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: puff]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1594979 - 01/10/11 08:39 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: puff]
puff Offline

Yeah, shes the kinda player that could blow on a table top!

Seen that vid - isnt that Orangefunk's board? and isnt that third comment by Rich from Korg US? ;-)

No-I was talking about a casio PRS thing with 61 synth keys!

#1595603 - 01/11/11 08:07 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: Dave Ferris]
FrankDaddy Offline

I used 2 Tube MP pre-amp from the project series by ART. They cost me about $69US each. I use them on vocal mikes when I record my daughter. makes a difference when using cheap Shure Mikes. But I run them Hi Z and play with the gain until it gets the piano warmed up. I am sure there are better ones but for the money they do work. This helps because I run through a Yamaha Stage Pass 300 and it sounds very accurate but kinda sterile.

see the link below

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pro...eamp?sku=180643

#1595608 - 01/11/11 08:19 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: puff]
puff Offline

Something to bear in mind when checkingout the MP6 (Thinking of you Dave Ferris) is to play with the sweepable mid adjustment on the EQ section.

I was a bit dumb in forgeting that you need to alter the MID frequency from flat (0) before the SWEEPABLE MID knob has any effect at all.

So I changed the MID to +4 and the sweep from 1000 to say 1400 and it made quite a difference to the Studio Grand sound which before I found a bit honkey in the mids.Nice! and the adjustments for the live player are so simple and immediate with this interface.
So Dave forget what I said before about my fave APs. BTW the main grand sound is named Concert not 'Classical'.

#1595622 - 01/11/11 08:56 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: puff]
puff Offline

Frank,

Im pretty dam stoked about the playability of this 'ere board mate.heart Just had a bit of a jam with a mate on his Strat.

Sound wise Im putting it through a pair of Behringer Truth B2031 monitors.
I guess the two ART preamps youre using are mono units(?) and need these cause the Yammy PA has horns not tweeters?
I have some Opera 415 15ins powered speakers in my workshop
as my 'sterio'!These I rent out to a friends Soul band so theyre allready half payed for(mostly get second hand gear anyway)Also got a Behringer Ultragain tube preamp so if a gigging is in my future im all set.

What did you mean about wiring up the leslie? Is that to change polarit on a switch pedal?

#1595657 - 01/11/11 10:18 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: puff]
puff Offline

Dave, Actually reducing the MIDs on some piano sounds makes them more to my taste as well - depends on the original qualities of the sound So take my pronouncements with a pinch of sodium carbonate!

One other thing though - on the Rolands some of the piano designer features I regarded as a bit of a gimmic but the KEYOFF noise on the MPis sonicly groovy. Whilst playing accented fiths in the bass a la Tyner - push it up to taste!

#1595737 - 01/12/11 01:01 AM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: puff]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1595867 - 01/12/11 08:02 AM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: puff]
FrankDaddy Offline

Sorry

I am a programmer by trade. So I tend to use "wired up" in different ways. I mean I set the the organ setups so that the slow fast effect is controlled by the floorswitch. It does not by default. I used two preamps since I wanted to keep the stereo sound. One for the left and one for the right. You are right about the PA. It does have horns for tweeters and can sound harsh. That is the advantage of studio monitors. the sound is not as sharp. But they are designed for near field as opposed to a pa. I just don't have the space (or money) for both storing a PA and studio monitors. Since i needed the preamps for recording my daughter's vocals, buying two made sense. I hope this helps.

#1596140 - 01/12/11 03:25 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: puff]
puff Offline

Frank,

Why do you do that? Im a picture framer but I dont confuse brass picture wire with softwae routing. ;-)

Hey,do you know if thr Amp Sim on/off can be controlled by footswitch too?

KAWAI James,
Howdie! - if you look in here...

The Panel lock switch can be set to any of about seven functions but defaults back to Pannel Lock when you change setups.

Do you think it would be possible to have it as chosen per setup when there is next a new opperating systen upgrade???

Just a minor niggle...

#1596146 - 01/12/11 03:47 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: puff]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
You people seem to really know what you're doing. I need to ask if the MP6 will cut it with this song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6KYjytwr1w
Or would I need to step up to an MP10 to do it the way it deserves to be played?

#1596185 - 01/12/11 04:34 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: puff]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Quote:
KAWAI James,
Howdie! - if you look in here...

Good morning!

Quote:
The Panel lock switch can be set to any of about seven functions but defaults back to Pannel Lock when you change setups.

Do you think it would be possible to have it as chosen per setup when there is next a new opperating systen upgrade???

Well, I can't promise anything, but I'll certainly mention it to the engineers as something to consider for a future software update.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1596197 - 01/12/11 04:42 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: rnaple]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
rnaple, while the MP6 will certainly allow you to play 'River Flows In You' very nicely, the MP10 with it's wooden-key action and superior UPHI sampling technology will offer greater control over the pianissimo passages of the piece.

Of course, Edward's RX grand piano would be even better yet!

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1596238 - 01/12/11 05:35 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: Kawai James]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: Kawai James
... very nicely,...

Gee....very nicely just doesn't cut it. This is the kind of piano to obsess over. Must be about ten different levels of softness in it. It displays the naked beauty of the sound of a piano.
Thank you.
My pocket book doesn't. sick

#1596364 - 01/12/11 09:46 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: Kawai James]
puff Offline

James,

Just tell those engineers theyve done a damm fine job on the MP6 - the function I was asking for allready exists grin

Im a jerk! You CAN sve the Pannel Button setting per setup!

Ive got more OS requests up my sleve though.

As well as a request to stop putting links to SLUSHY piano music in my thread!

Cheers.

#1598600 - 01/16/11 12:36 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: puff]
FrankDaddy Offline

According to page 93 in the manual I could not find a way to turn the prepamp off and on with the foot controller switch. Being a prgrammer by trade that does not mean it can be done. I am playing with it now to see if can figure out how to do it. I will keep you informed.

#1598912 - 01/16/11 09:05 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: FrankDaddy]
puff Offline

You need to FIRST press and hold the 'pannel' lock button - chose Amp Simmulator then (in the Common settings)set foot controller to SW (Its the last CC number in the list - before 0) Then save this to the chosen EP sound.

You dont even have to save it to a setup. Brilliant! (The MP6 I mean -not me!)

Editted as ever for typogadic illiteriavy

Edited by puff (01/16/11 09:08 PM)

#1599229 - 01/17/11 10:19 AM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: puff]
Qbert Offline

Loc: Italy
Hope I can park my question here!

I read the MP6 user guide deeply but I couldn't find any reference to half-pedal feature. Both foot controls (DAMPER and FOOT SW) look to be simple foot switches. Is it so?

Thx in advance

EDIT: I found half-damper note on Kaway MP6 web page. Strange it's not referenced on the user manual....

Edited by Qbert (01/17/11 03:01 PM)

#1599304 - 01/17/11 12:47 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: Qbert]
Scooby Hoo Offline

I, too, have a question about the pedaling on the MP6.

Is it possible to implement a three pedal (or double pedal) on the MP6? Can the Roland RPU-3 or Kawai F-20 be made to work as a soft and sustaining pedal?

#1599374 - 01/17/11 03:02 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: puff]
FrankDaddy Offline

You are simply brilliant. I do not know what I was thinking. That is how I setup the rotary speaker and it is an effect. My problem I had was once you power it down it went away. Since I use the rotary only for organ, I saved it for those setups.

Typical software developer. I made it harder than it should be

Peace

#1599375 - 01/17/11 03:03 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: Scooby Hoo]
Qbert Offline

Loc: Italy
Yes, F-20 is supported. Don't know about Roland one.

#1599380 - 01/17/11 03:09 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: Scooby Hoo]
FrankDaddy Offline

I just emailed my contacts at Kawai about that question. I know you can use the Kawai Double pedal. There is always a polarity issue going from on brand to another. I will respond when they do.

#1599469 - 01/17/11 05:33 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: FrankDaddy]
Scooby Hoo Offline

Originally Posted By: FrankDaddy
I just emailed my contacts at Kawai about that question. I know you can use the Kawai Double pedal. There is always a polarity issue going from on brand to another. I will respond when they do.

Thanks, FD. You're efforts to untangle the pedaling options are appreciated.

#1599569 - 01/17/11 07:35 PM Re: KAWAI MP6 Stage Piano/Controller Log. [Re: puff]
puff Offline

The MP6 has three jacks for ; Foot Switch , Damper , and Expression Pedal.
(Foot and Expression can can be programed to diferent CC functions too.With the F-20 double unit plugged in the damper jack you can change the left pedal of this unit to either Soft or Sost)

So if f you want three pedals to work as a soft/sost/sustain setup with the MP6 get the Kawai double pedal and another momentory pedal in the Foot switch jack some gaffer tape or velcro and youre ready to rock 'n'roll.

The roland unit has three jacks attatched to it-I recon it would only work with a Roland board.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
87 registered (Abby Pianoman, AndrewAJC, ando, 36251, Adro, 26 invisible), 1413 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75385 Members
42 Forums
155846 Topics
2288475 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Single: Every Moment With You (Orchestra Version)
by Darkreach
9 minutes 23 seconds ago
Heal The World - Michael Jackson Piano
by Phuc Pham
Today at 05:00 AM
Lorin Maazel, R.I.P.
by bennevis
Today at 05:00 AM
Yamaha P105 or Yamaha S80 ???
by musicmad
Today at 04:53 AM
Video of A220-A440 (for the skeptical)
by Hakki
Today at 04:28 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission