2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, Dfrankjazz, danno858, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by daniokeeper
This piano appears to be around 30 or so years old. I remember reading "somewhere" that cast iron becomes more brittle with the passage of time. (Maybe someone here can confirm this?)

I’ve heard this one before and I’m not sure just where it comes from. No truth to it as far as I know. There are some old frames that break rather easily but that is the result of the weak alloy from which the frame was cast, not because of any deterioration in the metal over time.

As to how to approach this... I suppose it depends on whether the plate is merely bowing, or if the plate is now warped after years of bowing.

The frame is not bowing on its own. The piano was either built that way because that is the shape of the frame as it came from the foundry and they didn’t bother to pull it down or tensile stress from the strings is pulling the frame forward. Probably the former.

If it's only bowing, it would probably be best to return it to its original shape. But how to tell for sure? I don't think there is a way to tell with the plate under tension and screwed in.

If it has indeed warped, then you don't want to just snug the screws up. Maybe a very slow, incremental approach over years? Or. maybe best no tightening at all as has been suggested.

If it is making you nervous why not just check to make sure the screws are not stripped and leave it alone?

ddf

Last edited by Del; 01/10/11 02:33 AM.

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
General question...is there any danger in tightening plate bolts when the piano is fully strung and pretty much up to pitch?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yup! It can crack the plate, or stress it enough that it'll crack after you are safely out of the door-yard. The latter is preferable.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted By: daniokeeper
This piano appears to be around 30 or so years old. I remember reading "somewhere" that cast iron becomes more brittle with the passage of time. (Maybe someone here can confirm this?)

I’ve heard this one before and I’m not sure just where it comes from. No truth to it as far as I know. There are some old frames that break rather easily but that is the result of the weak alloy from which the frame was cast, not because of any deterioration in the metal over time.

Thanks Del smile

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Grandpianoman
General question...is there any danger in tightening plate bolts when the piano is fully strung and pretty much up to pitch?

Yes, there are circumstances under which this can happen although the pitch of the piano will have nothing to do with why the frame might break.

Picture the following scenario:
As the piano is being built the frame is warped from the foundry. It fits flush against the pinblock (part of the skeleton, or back assembly) but stands proud along the top edge. Tuning pin bushings are inserted and the piano is strung. During stringing the tuning pin bushings are driven solidly against the pinblock surface and are captured firmly between the tuning pin and the holes in the frame. From here on the tuning pin bushings are holding the frame away from the pinblock surface.

Now picture the technician coming along and spotting this gap and trying to “fix” it by tightening the screws along the top edge of the frame. This will start to draw the frame tight against the pinblock surface but down where the tuning pin bushings are located the frame cannot move. There will be an abnormal bending stress created between the tuning pin field and the top edge of the frame. If this bending stress becomes great enough I can see where a crack might develop between the tuning pin field and the top edge of the frame.

This is why I made my earlier comment:
Originally Posted by Del
I think, were I to encounter this piano I’d probably try to draw it in some. Using a large screwdriver or wrench—whichever is appropriate—I’d try turning each screw just a little. Start at one end and work across then start over. Don’t do anything very fast. If the screws/bolts seem tight and nothing seems to want to draw in I’d not force the issue. If there is evidence of stripped screws/bolts I’d want to fix them. That’s a whole other topic.

I don’t like seeing those gaps and, like Ryan, I try to draw them in when I can. If it doesn’t draw in readily I’m not going to force the issue. I’ve not yet tried filling the gap with epoxy but, done neatly, this would resolve the aesthetic issue. If the frame is drawing away from the pinblock due to tensile stress it should draw in fairly easily.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
Originally Posted by David Jenson
Yup! It can crack the plate, or stress it enough that it'll crack after you are safely out of the door-yard. The latter is preferable.

Having been around alot of old uprights that havn't heard a tuners footsteps much less been tuned in thirty odd years I always check the plate bolts and screws before I tune the first note. I agree in part that tightening a plate thats up to pitch could crack it but not tightening the screws at least some could result in the same. For whatever reason I often find the top bolts are at least a quarter turn loose and even one that is stripped or nearly so. I don't try to tighten it if the plate is obviously moved out from the pinblock area or if I do relieve the tension as Del has implied.

Theres my 2 cents now I feel better!

-Daniel

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
That's what I thought Del.....thanks for the explanation.....I tightened the plate bolts once on a 1920's player grand...less than an 1/4 inch turn all around..as soon as I did that, the sound improved immensely, so much so, I almost did not sell it!!!..but...I said if a little is good, more is better...wrong!.....as soon as I tightened them a bit more...that great sound was GONE.....the people that bought it were happy with the sound....for my ears, it had lost the beauty of the sound. I was lucky I did not crack the plate!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission