2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Please, if anybody has any thumb exercises, help me!!! Or direct me to something (please, no Hanon)

My thumb has always been retarded, but this time I feel like it's actually getting worse. I'm playing op. 90 and the few scales going down are a complete nightmare. They're not even and it's definitely my thumb. Even my teacher was like, "You can play Rachmaninoff second sonata impressively, but a scale...? Come on now". But I can't I can't!

Help?

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Haha, I actually have the same problem, and it has caused me more trouble than I'd like to have in the Mozart sonata I'm currently playing. Which opus 90 by the way? I assume Schubert Impromptus, Schumann Lieder, or Beethoven Sonata...

Maybe move your thumb during the cross-under a little sooner? (Once again, I assume it's your left hand, because descending scale in the left hand has a thumb cross-under.)

Last edited by Orange Soda King; 01/13/11 11:38 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Oh sorry!! Beethoven, hahahahah.. I always call it just "op. 90"

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
And nope, right hand!!!! that's how crippled I am!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Take a break and watch The Piano. Thumbs up!

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
The Piano? Like, sit there and watch the instrument? Hahaha

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
The Piano? Like, sit there and watch the instrument? Hahaha

No, like, sit there and watch the film The Piano. smile

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Maybe I should do that. I was planning to see "The American" next..

But, I need to perform op. 90 next week! I HAVE to get the scales right!

Maybe I'm just playing it too fast. I'll have to just sit down and figure it out today, away from the piano.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I know this sounds stupid and you've probably done it already. Try dotted rhythms and displaced accents. It usually works for me. BTW, my thumbs are retarded also.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
"The Piano" is quite depressing. Instead you could watch "The Legend of 1900", about a great pop pianist who lives his entire life aboard a cruise ship. It's available online here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUaBEpItb5Q

Here's the trailor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA8v9MamhJE&feature=related

I think your teacher should do more than express her "shock" about some technical difficulty.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Oh trust me she did. We spent at least 20 minutes on that scale. I'm just incapable. I also keep forgetting to ask her to give me thumb exercizes, which is what my initial question was here. I won't see her until I have to perform!

M
M
have you considered chopping it off?

[Linked Image]

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Please, if anybody has any thumb exercises, help me!!! Or direct me to something (please, no Hanon)

My thumb has always been retarded, but this time I feel like it's actually getting worse. I'm playing op. 90 and the few scales going down are a complete nightmare. They're not even and it's definitely my thumb. Even my teacher was like, "You can play Rachmaninoff second sonata impressively, but a scale...? Come on now". But I can't I can't!

Help?

I have a suggestion, Angelina, believe it or not! At first, I thought you were talking LH, but now I see you mean RH. Either way, this worked for me:

When you get to the passage in question, open up slightly the space between your elbow and torso. It might give you just enough of whatever you need at that point to pass smoothly. You will have to experiment to find how slight or not slight to do this, but I think it helps with the angle of the wrist or something, right at the point of passing. It worked for me on Op. 79 on a downward LH scale. I discovered it by accident. My teacher never let me move my elbows when doing scales, and when I discovered this little maneuver a few months ago, it really freed things up!

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M

During undergrad my teacher found my thumb crossings during scales deficient, and she prescribed me a set of exercises that are helpful.

C major scales up and down (in one hand only) with:

Exclusively a 1-2-1-2 fingering (do as many octaves as you like). The emphasis is not on speed of course, but on very carefully analyzing your movements and making your thumb cross under as efficiently and in as relaxed a manner as possible.

Exclusively a 1-2-3-1-2-3 fingering (do enough octaves to end with 3RH or 1LH on C and come back down). Same emphasis on thumb analysis and relaxation.

Exclusively a 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 fingering (again, do enough octaves to end with 4RH or 1LH on C and come back down).

When you're doing normal scales, you are alternating the fingers involved in the crossing over/under. These exercises allow a repetition of the same crossover/under many times for more careful observation and more concentrated practice.

M
M
Could you possibly post a video of the you playing the passage in question? Then I could give specific information on how to fix it.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
This may be due to an overdevelopment of thumb strength in the gripping, grasping direction. This is the main motion of the hand in everyday activities, grasping, and thus the muscles of the hand are typically overdeveloped in that direction. And piano playing seems to also be a grasping type of motion; but, in a seeming paradox, it is actually the opposite motion that is important in piano, that is, the motion where you open your fingers from a closed fist. Try putting your hands in a bucket of sand or underwater and exercise the fingers--the rt. thumb especially--in the open-the-hand motion.

Originally Posted by Morodiene
Could you possibly post a video of the you playing the passage in question? Then I could give specific information on how to fix it.

no no no don't watch 'The Piano'.. ick. I would watch your movie tho.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Gyro
This may be due to an overdevelopment of thumb strength in the gripping, grasping direction. This is the main motion of the hand in everyday activities, grasping, and thus the muscles of the hand are typically overdeveloped in that direction. And piano playing seems to also be a grasping type of motion; but, in a seeming paradox, it is actually the opposite motion that is important in piano, that is, the motion where you open your fingers from a closed fist. Try putting your hands in a bucket of sand or underwater and exercise the fingers--the rt. thumb especially--in the open-the-hand motion.

Funnily enough, I'd actually agree. Only with regard to the thumb- although I believe that is what Gyro means too. Have you tried Alan Fraser's thumb push ups? They are extremely useful and made a colossal difference to my ease of thumb movement. I know it sounds odd to "strengthen" something as strong as the thumb, but it really loosens everything up and gets it supporting with no effort.

Personally I use the action for each thumb in slow practise of scales (as well as on a table, as suggested). If you want to save time, only play the thumb notes of those scales going down plus the 3/4 that follows each one. With every thumb, use the power of the thumb to slowly lift every finger in the air and open the whole hand. Lift them right over the top of the thumb and then make a very good legato connection to the next. I wouldn't do too much of this in one go, but I can't overstate how much this improved my ease of movement. I used to have truly awful scales. My thumb didn't used to offer any proper support.

EDIT actually, I don't agree that grasping tends to be overdeveloped at all. However, the act of opposing the thumb certainly tends to be underdeveloped.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Without seeing the OP's thumb in action, I can only offer the following common sense advice - the thumb is a thumb and not a finger. You play with the side of your thumb and don't treat it as a finger.

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Without seeing the OP's thumb in action, I can only offer the following common sense advice - the thumb is a thumb and not a finger. You play with the side of your thumb and don't treat it as a finger.

Well, no offence Dave, but unless Angelina's thumb problems are truly spectacular, I can't immediately see that little insight as being likely to provide much in the way of assistance. Personally, I'm guessing that she did not use the pretend-the-thumb-is-a-finger technique of playing on the pad for Rachmaninoff's 2nd sonata.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission