2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Siriosys
**FOR SALE**

1 x Roland RD700SX - Only 1 careful owner. Inlcudes 2 Abyssinian Cats and a Wife. grin grin grin

Are the cats friendly?

M
OP Offline
M
Has anyone heard any pricing information on the new Nord Stage 2?

Kawai MP8II, Logic Studio 9, Alicia's Keys, AKG 240.
New Stage has:

500MB for piano section
380MB for other samples (like mellotron, chamberlin)
and will be available in February!

It gives you sum of 880MB. Still, Korg's 4GB is much more smile

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/main.asp?tm=Home

Roland FP-4
Seems like it's got the same pedaling functions as the Nord Piano aswell.
Can anyone confirm this?

And now I've gotta sell my brand new Rd-700NX frown

And Stage 2 can play any sample you previously prepared on the computer. Nice.

Other new thing, interesting:

(...) new Selectable Release feature. When Release is activated pianos use a slightly longer release, which is more suitable for legato playing. This important feature reflects adjusting the damper tension in an acoustic or an electromechanical instrument.

Roland FP-4
Originally Posted by kiedysktos.
...Still, Korg's 4GB is much more smile

Its actually a 30gb SSD with 12GB of content... !

According to a source on the Korg forums .

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by brojd
Can anyone confirm this?

And now I've gotta sell my brand new Rd-700NX frown

Yeah I kinda sorta feel your pain. I've got my RD700GXF up for sale on Craigslist and ebay for the Nord Piano 88.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
The new Stage looks great...they are expensive but this one could be a one box solution for lots of players. Just a note about the action...as I understand it the Stage and Nord Piano have the same basic Fatar action (TP 40 do they call it?). The Nord Piano action is modified by Fatar according to Nord's specification but the only thing they change is the trigger point at the bottom of the key stroke...I believe you have to push the key down further on the NP compared to the Stage to make the note sound. This is a very minor mod and in every other respect they the same...or so I believe! Those with experience of both do seem to prefer the NP action for piano and piano related sounds but the Stage 2 is starting to look like a compelling product for some people.

Cheers,

Steve

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EssBrace
The new Stage looks great...they are expensive Those with experience of both do seem to prefer the NP action for piano and piano related sounds but the Stage 2 is starting to look like a compelling product for some people.

Cheers,

Steve

I agree it looks really nice. But probably too expensive for me, plus I'm literally sold on the NP88. smile I'm trying as hard as I can to sell my RD700GXF...hurry up already!

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Richard Stark
Originally Posted by kiedysktos.
...Still, Korg's 4GB is much more smile

Its actually a 30gb SSD with 12GB of content... !

The Korg's main piano sample is what's 4 GB. The Nord's biggest piano sample is 200 mb. But as they say, size isn't everything...

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by brojd
Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, you can hook up the triple pedal unit.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wonder what has prevented Yamaha, Roland, Kawai, Korg, and Kurzweil to not pursue a similar product. They certainly have teh resources to do it. Can you imagine if you could buy a Yamaha with great piano action and access to a free sample library of their various pianos? Same for the others too...that would be very cool.

If everyone really sells their DP's and buys the Stage 2 I'm sure the other manufacturers will be close behind!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by drexel
If everyone really sells their DP's and buys the Stage 2 I'm sure the other manufacturers will be close behind!

Haha! I mentioned this to Essbrace. He and I are both former RD700GXF (I'm soon to be) and Nord (again, hopefully soon to be) users. If a lot of us started to jump ship, you can bet the major DP makers would not be far behind.

Originally Posted by PianoZac
I wonder what has prevented Yamaha, Roland, Kawai, Korg, and Kurzweil to not pursue a similar product. They certainly have teh resources to do it. Can you imagine if you could buy a Yamaha with great piano action and access to a free sample library of their various pianos? Same for the others too...that would be very cool.

It's totally different approach smile people from Clavia work on new sample sets and OS updates all the time. Other brands have more comfortable system to announce new boards and don't make any minor upgrades between. And they sample piano once and release it in different models in years. Clavia makes new samples all the time - it's more focused on clients and working on brand opinion all the time.

Roland FP-4
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
The "systems", "formulas" or whatever used by the different manufacturers are interesting but the most important question is, is the product right?...and Nord have just hit the spot with the Nord Piano. I have had most stage type DPs and I find I enjoy the Nord the most...this is certainly not due to any technical superiority but there is just something about their piano voices that makes them rewarding and enjoyable to play. I had/have huge respect for what Roland have achieved with the SN engine but I wouldn't go back to the Roland. For what it's worth at the moment I think the FP-7F is the most rounded product in Roland's current line up...another example of the product being just right.

Cheers,

Steve

P
P
From my understanding the 4gig must be 'halved' to contain both the 'Steinway'D and 'Yamaha'C types or maybe theres even more variations which would cut down the memory for each further...no?

Sorry for this nonsence - a screen disapeared an I posted this in the wrong thread.

Last edited by puff; 01/13/11 11:06 PM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Two great recordings there...Dave, yours sounds wonderful. I take your point about it not sounding so good near to the speakers but something that sounds that good through decent headphones like I'm wearing now must be intrinsically OK. I accept you don't think you have issues with your speakers and your CP5 performs better but even so, your recording sounds great to me (you got the stereo the wrong way round by the way).

What I particularly like about the Nord Yamaha sound (Studio Grand 2) is that it has the cleanliness and evenness of a Yamaha but none of the sterility/coldness that in my opinion blights Yamaha DPs...ironic that Nord do a better Yamaha than Yamaha do. The only Yamaha DP sound I like is the "soft CF" on the CP1 (don't know whether it is on the CP5 or 50), but even that can sound a bit soulless. It might just be that to my ears all Yamaha's reverbs are so clinical.

The classical piece is not my cup of tea and it is such a flurry of notes it's not easy to pin down the tonality of the piano (not easy for me anyway) and I'm struggling to decide which Nord voice (if any) he used there...it's not the Bosendorfer because it was uploaded before that voice became available and I don't think it's the Grand Lady D...I might be wrong but maybe he used a VST controlled from the Nord.

Cheers,

Steve

M
OP Offline
M

Kawai MP8II, Logic Studio 9, Alicia's Keys, AKG 240.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission