Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#159869 - 08/09/06 10:46 PM Nordiska
tx360 Offline

I'm hoping to buy a grand piano soon and am currently researching pianos and have been considering a Nordiska 5'5" or the 6'1" grand. I've have heard good things about the Nordiska pianos from this forum and really like to hear from people who own them or techs that have worked on them. I am a total beginner at piano and would like a piano that could last a while and one that I would not outgrow. I really like the prices of the Nordiska's and the new Piano book has said good things about them. Please let me know if the Nordiska is worth the effort. Again, the price point is where I want to stay and I haven't been able to find any Yamaha's or Kawai's in that price point that aren't 20 or 30 years old. Please advise.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#159870 - 08/09/06 10:51 PM Re: Nordiska
jollyroger Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Houston, TX
Nordiska's are a great value for their price point and sound lovely. If you can swing the 6'1", then go for it. But be sure to play as many pianos as you can before purchasing. Also, many dealers offer trade ups - generally in the first 3 to 5 years. So if you plan to upgrade during that time, then you may want to check this out too.
Best regards and keep us posted.
Regards,
Roger

#159871 - 08/09/06 11:39 PM Re: Nordiska
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Welcome to the forum, tx360! I think the Nordiska is a fine choice and should last you a long time. I second jollyroger's advice to go with the 6'1" if you can swing it in terms of price and space. Keep in mind that negotiation is standard with pianos and you will not be paying the asking or list price.

When you get your piano, please come join us in the Adult Beginners forum. We're a friendly and enthusiastic lot. \:\)

#159872 - 08/10/06 09:53 AM Re: Nordiska
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Depends on what you want, and how much you want to pay.

The 5 footer is too short, musicality and value start at the 5'5", just as you've noticed.

I think the biggest competition for the Nordiska grands are the Indonesian built Samicks...do try the 5'9" K&C if you get a chance.

But as far as problems with mine...none, nada, zippola.

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

#159873 - 08/10/06 09:55 AM Re: Nordiska
Jolly Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tx360:
I'm hoping to buy a grand piano soon and am currently researching pianos and have been considering a Nordiska 5'5" or the 6'1" grand. I've have heard good things about the Nordiska pianos from this forum and really like to hear from people who own them or techs that have worked on them. I am a total beginner at piano and would like a piano that could last a while and one that I would not outgrow. I really like the prices of the Nordiska's and the new Piano book has said good things about them. Please let me know if the Nordiska is worth the effort. Again, the price point is where I want to stay and I haven't been able to find any Yamaha's or Kawai's in that price point that aren't 20 or 30 years old. Please advise. [/b]
And if my opinion wasn't biased enough \:D , you'll find Geneva's NAMM tech and their retired national sales manager on this site:

http://www.armleg.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2&mforum=pianosinc

#159874 - 08/10/06 10:31 AM Re: Nordiska
tx360 Offline

I really thank you guys for your replies. I am so nervous about buying a grand piano. Just learning to play the piano in my late 30's is big enough, but the piano shopping process is not easy. I'm so afraid that I will get the wrong piano or get ripped off in some way. The dealers are showing me pianos in the high $17-$19K and the mid $20's, but if the Nordiska is a fine piano in the $10K range why should I pay more. The other pianos may be better, but I doubt if I will turn in a concert pianist any time soon.

Anyone else out there that can give advise, please feel free.

#159875 - 08/10/06 11:51 AM Re: Nordiska
Jolly Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tx360:
I really thank you guys for your replies. I am so nervous about buying a grand piano. Just learning to play the piano in my late 30's is big enough, but the piano shopping process is not easy. I'm so afraid that I will get the wrong piano or get ripped off in some way. The dealers are showing me pianos in the high $17-$19K and the mid $20's, but if the Nordiska is a fine piano in the $10K range why should I pay more. The other pianos may be better, but I doubt if I will turn in a concert pianist any time soon.

Anyone else out there that can give advise, please feel free. [/b]
I don't think I would go so far as "fine"...kinda depends on what your yardstick is...at 10k and under, I think the standard Nordiska line is a worthy competitor to whatever is out there. When comparing them to a 20K piano...well, most of the time gimmee the $20K piano! \:D

#159876 - 08/10/06 02:53 PM Re: Nordiska
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
First off, I'm sincerely happy for the folks who love their Nordiskas.

But I feel I have to put in my proverbial 2 cents - perhaps I'm the lone dissenting voice?

The 7' Nordiska I play continues to have problems. \:\(

I just played through a gargantuan choral work last night, and there are significant touch issues. For lack of a better word, the action has sort of a crunchy/spongy feel and I find it very challenging to play expressively (uneven voicing). The treble does not sing, and I over play - it is very tiring. Believe it or not, I'm actually taking today off to recuperate!

I dunno...maybe this specific piano is just a lemon?

But I like this piano a bit [/b] more than most of the under-maintained old pianos typically found at churches and schools.

PS: Another pet peeve - one more rubber button has disappeared! Another button that fell off months ago has been replaced by an ugly brown doorstop-looking thing.

#159877 - 08/10/06 03:36 PM Re: Nordiska
Jolly Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by whippen boy:
First off, I'm sincerely happy for the folks who love their Nordiskas.

But I feel I have to put in my proverbial 2 cents - perhaps I'm the lone dissenting voice?

The 7' Nordiska I play continues to have problems. \:\(

I just played through a gargantuan choral work last night, and there are significant touch issues. For lack of a better word, the action has sort of a crunchy/spongy feel and I find it very challenging to play expressively (uneven voicing). The treble does not sing, and I over play - it is very tiring. Believe it or not, I'm actually taking today off to recuperate!

I dunno...maybe this specific piano is just a lemon?

But I like this piano a bit [/b] more than most of the under-maintained old pianos typically found at churches and schools.

PS: Another pet peeve - one more rubber button has disappeared! Another button that fell off months ago has been replaced by an ugly brown doorstop-looking thing. [/b]
1. You need a tech like Rick Clark, who knows this design well, and how to get the best out of it. I've heard it said that this size of Nordiska could really benefit from having a bit larger shanks with a bit different hammer - something to lend it some more power without having to lean into it as hard.

2. I like the pianos, but I don't think of them as workhorses in places like colleges or churches. Not yet.

#159878 - 08/10/06 03:40 PM Re: Nordiska
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
I suppose I'll be perpetually frustrated with this situation.

I have no connection to the venue, and I am pretty sure they don't want to spend $$ on prep work. After all, they chose to get a very inexpensive piano!

They DID have a little bit of work done, at my urging.

I just don't want to push it...

#159879 - 08/10/06 04:21 PM Re: Nordiska
cassman Offline

Loc: Florida
I can add on to what Jolly stated.

I had looked extensively for a piano in the 10 - 12K range. The Nordiska and Indonesian K&C grands came out on top for the price. In the end I purchased a KCG 650 6'1" grand. Myself and my 3 children love it and we have had no problems with it. I would highly recommend that you at least take a look at one.

The Nordiska was also good for the price range, but the action did not have as nice a touch. In addition, some of the fit an finish was not as well done.

Happy Hunting !!

#159880 - 08/10/06 07:18 PM Re: Nordiska
mamma2my3sons Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest of the great USA
I have to second what Jolly and Cassman said. I too own an Indonesian Kohler and Campbell-- the KCG 600. However make sure if you look at Kohler that it is the prefix KCG (or even better KFM). Recently someone bought what he thought was a Kohler but actually was a Hazelton Brothers (it had the prefix HBK but said Kohler Campbell on the fallboard!) That is supposed to be a less expensive model. ....

Best wishes.

#159881 - 08/10/06 07:46 PM Re: Nordiska
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
I have only played one Nordiska. It was 5'5". This piano was sold and already prepped for delivery, but the dealer was gracious enough to let me try it out anyway. I have to say it had one of the most beautiful treble registers of any piano I have played. The bass, though, was somewhat weak. I think that is probably characteristic of small pianos in general, but I found the Nordisaka to be weaker in the bass than many other similar sized instruments.

Honestly the piano is one that could make many people happy for years to come. The action on this one, contrary to WB's experience, felt quite nice. If I hadn't been offered a crazy low price on my Kawai I might very well be awaiting delivery of a new Nordiska now.

flickr

#159882 - 08/11/06 07:21 PM Re: Nordiska
DeepElem Offline

Loc: USA
TX-Dennis, I second your observation about the bass on the 5'5" Nordiska. That is why I would strongly suggest getting the 6'1" Nordiska rather than the 5'5". I'm not that experienced, and I've heard that bigger pianos will tend to have a better lower register (by no means a rule, just a tendency), but the difference in the bass between the 5'5" and th 6'1" seems to be much greater than you would expect just from the size difference.

tx360, that being said, I think the Nordiska 6'1" is an excellent playing and sounding piano that you will be happy with, as will the K&C's mentioned here also. Definitely go play the K&C too if you can.
- Fresco's Law

#159883 - 08/11/06 10:55 PM Re: Nordiska
George K Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Midwest
Jolly made an interesting point a few posts back.

Quote:
like the pianos, but I don't think of them as workhorses in places like colleges or churches. Not yet.
What constitutes the type of load that you'd need a "workhorse" piano for? An hour a day? Two?

What kind of music? Bach? Rachmaninoff? AC/DC?

#159884 - 08/12/06 12:27 AM Re: Nordiska
RonTuner Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicagoland
"For lack of a better word, the action has sort of a crunchy/spongy feel and I find it very challenging to play expressively (uneven voicing). "

A common problem seen in many newer lower-priced instruments is mis-bored, or too tight balance rail holes in the keys. This sounds a lot like the symptoms you describe. BUT, if there's no cash for a fix...

my piano videos:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=drwoodwind

#159885 - 08/12/06 01:16 AM Re: Nordiska
Cy Shuster, RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
 Quote:
Originally posted by George K:
What constitutes the type of load that you'd need a "workhorse" piano for? An hour a day? Two?

What kind of music? Bach? Rachmaninoff? AC/DC? [/b]
University pianos often get as much as ten hours a day of use, from piano performance majors at the college level.

I'd guess that church pianos typically get a few hours use for choir rehearsal, and then two to six hours of intermittent use on Sunday (with much more possible use, and possibly with multiple pianos). But the environmental conditions are challenging (heat cycles on/off twice a week, vs. twice a year in a home), and every service is a performance, so the requirements are demanding.

Certainly the type of music and the pianist are factors. Kids playing one hand at a time don't put the same wear on as more advanced students.

You know who puts the most wear on a piano? Piano tuning schools. We hit every single key, hard, many times, every day.

--Cy--
www.facebook.com/shusterpiano
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Registered Piano Technician
Dampp-Chaser Certified Installer
PianoDisc Certified Service Technician

#159886 - 08/12/06 01:04 PM Re: Nordiska
Jolly Offline

Hadn't thought about the tuning schools...otherwise Cy gave a better answer to my statement than I could have...

#159887 - 08/12/06 02:08 PM Re: Nordiska
Steve Cohen Offline

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
The Indonesean-built Samicks are not only some of the Kohler & Campbells, but the Samicks, J. Prambergers, Conover Cables and Remingtons as well.

Most are different scale designs so you should play as many as possible before deciding.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#159888 - 08/12/06 08:42 PM Re: Nordiska
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ron - A quick fix for tight balance rail holes is to put a flange spacer tool on a T-handle. Insert the wide end all the way down on both sides of each key at the balance hole. Gently twist the T-handle. This eases the sides of all the balance rail holes in a couple of minutes. Works great on all the low priced pianos. It will take a couple grams of touch weight off the keys, and free up sticking.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
107 registered (36251, Allard, andy0140, Abby Pianoman, anotherscott, ando, 34 invisible), 1259 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156326 Topics
2295932 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Who's gigging with MP11
by 36251
08/01/14 07:45 AM
piano technician cost list
by ascc
08/01/14 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
08/01/14 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
08/01/14 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
08/01/14 12:17 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission