Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1599578 - 01/17/11 07:54 PM Some questions Kawai MP5 and MP6.
cubop Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012

Loc: Norway
I have gone through all info on the net on those DPs, including the very useful info on this forum. The problem is that I cannot try before I buy, so there are a few things I would like to know. I love good sounds, and I hate bad noise, especially keyboard noise. I play a Korg triton LE88, and the noise on the key up in fast repeats can be annoying. According to my info the hammer action on these MPs are not the hardest Kawai action, and that would suit me fine, since I have never played an acoustic piano.
Then there is the question of saving a bit of money. I will get the MP5 30% cheaper than the MP6, and the upgrade will probably not be worth the extra money. I will use Pianoteq for the pianos anyway. All feedback appreciated.
cubop

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1599600 - 01/17/11 08:27 PM Re: Some questions Kawai MP5 and MP6. [Re: cubop]
kurtie Offline

Yes, MP5 action is on the light side, which is very good or not depending on your style of playing. I find the action to be quiet.

About if it is the MP6 worth the extra money? If I had to buy right now the keyboard, I would go for the MP6. But having already an MP5, I am not going to upgrade.

I've not tried MP6, but it has better sounds (PHI vs HI) and better action (RH3 vs AHA4). However, if you are going to use mainly Pianoteq, the sounds don't matter to you. Then the main difference between the two is the action... I wouldn't expect a lot of difference between the two actions... There are other extras in the MP6 (recording, USB devices, tonewheel simulator, rythm patterns...) that you would like to take into account before making your decision.

#1599637 - 01/17/11 09:10 PM Re: Some questions Kawai MP5 and MP6. [Re: cubop]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
cubop, assuming you have not seen it already, this thread may be of interest to you.

I would always recommend play-testing a variety of different instruments before making your decision, however I understand that this is not always possible. If you wish to send a PM informing me of your location I may be able to put you in touch with a dealer that stocks Kawai DPs, allowing you to at least compare the different keyboard actions - if not the products themselves.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1599668 - 01/17/11 09:46 PM Re: Some questions Kawai MP5 and MP6. [Re: cubop]
puff Offline

Loc: oxford UK

...Everything kurtie says plus for me the increase would be worth it for the action alone.I find it neutral - which is a good thing - its smooth and dosn't get in the way.

Had the ES4 - same action as MP4 it - clicked and was too light for pianistic expression.

#1599676 - 01/17/11 09:52 PM Re: Some questions Kawai MP5 and MP6. [Re: cubop]
puff Offline

...Everything kurtie says - plus for me the increase would be worth it for the action alone.I find it neutral - which is a good thing - its smooth and dosn't get in the way.

Had the ES4 - same action as MP4 it - clicked and was too light for pianistic expression.

Sorry about that, but its worth repeating. smirk

Edited by puff (01/17/11 09:54 PM)

#1600140 - 01/18/11 02:59 PM Re: Some questions Kawai MP5 and MP6. [Re: cubop]
cubop Offline

Thanks for good info all of you.
To kurtie: Seems there is no reason to worry about the action on any of the models. For me the extra USB functions is a good argument for the MP6. The rhythms are important to me, since i cannot play jazz and latin without backing. There are 100 rhythms on both keyboards, and I hope the rhythms on the MP6 are the same as on the MP5. I found a MP5 video with the best jazz rhythm I have heard on a keyboard, so I hope they have not changed the rhythms on the MP6.
To Kawai James: I live in Norway, and the only dealer here that stocks the MP6 is a days drive away. Thomann still have a few MP5s. But the best argument for bying a MP6, is that there is a Kawai dealer half an hours drive away where I can probably order it. Fine if one needs servicing. Presently he has only a Kawai baby grand, and that does not help much. So it will probably be a MP6. I have the money, so no problem there.
cubop

#1600328 - 01/18/11 08:12 PM Re: Some questions Kawai MP5 and MP6. [Re: cubop]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: cubop
n on any of the models. For me the extra USB functions is a good argument for the MP6. The rhythms are important to me, since i cannot play jazz and latin without backing. There are 100 rhythms on both keyboards, and I hope the rhythms on the MP6 are the same as on the MP5. I found a MP5 video with the best jazz rhythm I have heard on a keyboard, so I hope they have not changed the rhythms on the MP6.

I do not believe the MP5 featured drum rhythms, just a basic metronome function. Do you recall where you saw the MP5 video? It's possible that the rhythm you heard was spooled from a drum backing track.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1600360 - 01/18/11 08:54 PM Re: Some questions Kawai MP5 and MP6. [Re: Kawai James]
cubop Offline

Kawai James: The video is on Youtube, Nr. 3 from top. Demo with Ingo Wolfgarten. Three rhythms. Samba, jazzrock and jazz. All of them so good one could suspect they are from an external source. But this is a MP5 demo, and I think it is an official Kawai demo, or from one of the major German dealers. So using external sources for anything should not be permitted. The 100 rhythms are not in the specs for the MP5, so you are probably right. Now the big question is: where do those rhythms come from, and are they on MP6. I have been on the German Kawai forum, and the info there is that the 100 rhythms are only on the MP6.
cubop

#1600415 - 01/18/11 10:33 PM Re: Some questions Kawai MP5 and MP6. [Re: cubop]
puff Offline

I owned Kawai Es4 a while back and that had I think, the same rhythm tracks that are now in the MP6 Maybe you should compare the lists in those two manuals to check.

#1600534 - 01/19/11 03:26 AM Re: Some questions Kawai MP5 and MP6. [Re: cubop]
kurtie Offline

Originally Posted By: cubop
The rhythms are important to me, since i cannot play jazz and latin without backing. There are 100 rhythms on both keyboards, and I hope the rhythms on the MP6 are the same as on the MP5. I found a MP5 video with the best jazz rhythm I have heard on a keyboard, so I hope they have not changed the rhythms on the MP6.

There are no rhytms on MP5, only a boring (but very useful) metronome. I've read MP5 documentation from end to end and I've tested thoroughly all MP5 features that I could and I would have not missed something as rhythms.

What MP5 has is 4 instruments that are drum sets, but you have to use a MIDI sequencer if you want MP5 to play rhythms (maybe that is what was demoed in those videos). MP6 can play rhythms out of the box as it has some sequences in memory.

If rhythms is an important feature for you and you don't want to get an external beat box or MIDI player, seems to me that MP6 is the way to go.

#1601072 - 01/19/11 07:31 PM Re: Some questions Kawai MP5 and MP6. [Re: kurtie]
cubop Offline

Thanks kurtie. That was the info I needed. No rhythms. But from the video I saw I now know that it is possible somehow to get them and use them on the MP5. I have listened to a MP6 rhythm soundtrack, and thats definitely not what I want. I have tons of useless stuff on two arrangers and one workstation, so I think it will be a MP5, saving a lot of money that can be used on more gear.
cubop

#1601338 - 01/20/11 08:33 AM Re: Some questions Kawai MP5 and MP6. [Re: cubop]
puff Offline

I think Kawai have transformd a workable piano/controller(MP5) into a much more usefull and inspiring tool.

I would check out all the issues people had (including me) with the action on the earlier Kawai boards. Just search for 'Clicking keys'

Not possible to 'get' rhythms into the MP5 - they must have been using the MP5 drumsounds in a mutitimbral way with a sequenser.

#1602028 - 01/21/11 07:00 AM Re: Some questions Kawai MP5 and MP6. [Re: puff]
cubop Offline

Hi Puff, and everybody else. I just ordered the Kawai MP6 from the local dealer at a very good price. Should have it by the end of next week. No more searching, and no more stupid questions. Thanks again to everybody for your interest and very good info.
cubop

#1602055 - 01/21/11 08:10 AM Re: Some questions Kawai MP5 and MP6. [Re: cubop]
Qbert Offline

Loc: Italy
Well done cubop! And don't forget to report your comments when you try it!

Edited by Qbert (01/21/11 08:11 AM)

#1602099 - 01/21/11 10:17 AM Re: Some questions Kawai MP5 and MP6. [Re: cubop]
cubop Offline

Report it will be, and I suspect it will be a very positive one.
cubop.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
75 registered (anotherscott, AZNpiano, arX, briansaddleback, Beemer, 12 invisible), 1164 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153691 Topics
2253031 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Spelling chords and using correct accidentals
by JoelW
04/24/14 03:11 AM
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 11:26 PM
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 10:49 PM
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
04/23/14 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
04/23/14 10:00 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission