2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, benkeys, 17 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
N
I don't know the piece, but I'm guessing that it alternates back and forth between hands? Oh hang, on, actually I have heard it. Yeah, I think I can picture it now- that's the kind of thing. There's a similar sort of thing in the Rachmaninoff 1st. When I first heard Katsaris do that, I assumed he must have been doing using one of those typical tricks to achieve such speed.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Oh, so if you took away one of his hands, he's still be doing a very fast trill in octaves?

(O_____O)

Well, that is indeed impressive.

N
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
N
Yep- effectively four trills at once (assuming there isn't some kind of ingenious cheat). If I hadn't heard it, I wouldn't have believed such a thing to be possible. Anyone who thinks that a lot of concert pianists could do that in a way that even approaches the sound of a true trill (never mind at such a speed) has a very optimistic view.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi
Yep- effectively four trills at once (assuming there isn't some kind of ingenious cheat). If I hadn't heard it, I wouldn't have believed such a thing to be possible. Anyone who thinks that a lot of concert pianists could do that in a way that even approaches the sound of a true trill (never mind at such a speed) has a very optimistic view.

It is indeed very impressive, but I wonder how often it is used, besides a piano's own supervirtuoso transcriptions... I'm not downing those, they're often times entertaining to hear of course. smile

I'm sure some of the most renowned "technicians" could do it.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
"Also just to be clear, the speed of that trill is NOT one that requires most pianists to alternate hands."

Well, if anyone else has ever done it, I've never heard it. Care to name an example? Perhaps it would surprise you to learn that I was referring to the octave trills we were discussing and which I had mentioned within the sentence- not the single note trills that we have never been discussing and which I had not mentioned in the sentence (if for some mysterious reason you leapt to such an perplexing assumption).

The guy from that film is one of the few I could imagine doing it. A truly awful musician though. His Liszt sonata is really very poor.

I did make that assumption, sorry. I guess I was primed by the appearance of "real trill" right before that quote.

In any case, the point still remains: this is indeed a stupendous feat but by no means impossible for the tens of pianists out there who possess the highest levels of virtuosity and technique that the world's best conservatories have taught them. I just refuse to believe it. That's my only point. Katsaris is indeed special, nobody disputes that but there must be at least 40-50 special pianists out there, special at the same level that Katsaris is at.

If you still want to argue that he's one out of maybe two pianists who can do this, maybe you should go to the piano forum where somebody has started a thread called "The best pianist" and post his name in bold letters. We have a winner here.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

After OSK's last post following your clarification, I guess that makes two very optimistic people here. I hope other people chime in as well.. I'd love to take a count of the optimistic people.

N
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
N
Sure- I use "one or two" in the colloquial sense, not in the literal numerical sense. But I wouldn't believe anyone else could necessarily do it at such an insane speed unless I saw it with my own eyes- not necessarily even a Volodos or Hamelin.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Sure- I use "one or two" in the colloquial sense, not in the literal numerical sense. But I wouldn't believe anyone else could necessarily do it at such an insane speed unless I saw it with my own eyes- not necessarily even a Volodos or Hamelin.

That would make you one pessimistic person. laugh This somehow reminded me of Thomas the Apostle.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

I think that if several pianists could do this, they are more likely of the unknown variety, like the one OSK posted. I remain in the 'pessimistic' camp also.

J
J
It looks difficult, but if you put 4-5 on the top notes (or bottom, for the l.h) and have a piano with a good action that allows you to push/pull your thumb quickly... it's certainly not inconceivable. Also, the pedal certainly helps add to the effect. I'm certain any number of professional pianists could pull the same trick. For technical wizardry I can never figure out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKCZZf6ixj4

(After a program of Rach etudes and the chopin preudes, no less)

Last edited by jonnyboy126; 01/19/11 12:59 AM.
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Seems like we have 3 optimistic and crazy guys here, so far.

Btw, Jonnyboy, I was looking for that video just before you posted it! Thanks. smile

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by jonnyboy126
It looks difficult, but if you put 4-5 on the top notes (or bottom, for the l.h) and have a piano with a good action that allows you to push/push your thumb quickly... it's certainly not inconceivable. Also, the pedal certainly helps add to the effect. I'm certain any number of professional pianists could pull the same trick. For technical wizardry I can never figure out:

I'd have an easier time believing that a lot of top pianists could do that.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It looks difficult, but if you put 4-5 on the top notes (or bottom, for the l.h) and have a piano with a good action that allows you to push/push your thumb quickly... it's certainly not inconceivable.
Sadly, it's inconceivable if you have small hands. Place 4 and 5 on top? impossible unless I use my toes.

Best regards,

Deborah
N
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
N
It looks difficult, but if you put 4-5 on the top notes (or bottom, for the l.h) and have a piano with a good action that allows you to push/push your thumb quickly... it's certainly not inconceivable. Also, the pedal certainly helps add to the effect. I'm certain any number of professional pianists could pull the same trick. For technical wizardry I can never figure out:

(After a program of Rach etudes and the chopin preudes, no less)

It's not as hard as you might think. While nowhere near as fast, I've played it myself and I couldn't dream of playing a trills at an octave.

http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/7564028#pm_cmp=vid_OEV_P_P

The octaves sound twice as fast as they really are, because they alternate.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Damon

I'd have an easier time believing that a lot of top pianists could do that.

I agree this time. :P Maybe 500 pianists can do that and only 40-50 that can do what Katsaris does in this video. It is somewhat difficult to believe though that this can be done by 500 pianists but what Katsaris does can be done only by 5-6 others. Can somebody justify this huge jump? What factor makes this so very different from the other videos presented here? The speeds of the octaves on either hand (separate) have been shown to match or exceed that displayed by Katsaris in that video. So is it solely due to the fact that now the two hands need to play these together than makes you guys estimate that only 3-4% of these pianists (like the ones in the videos presented) can do these double octave trills?

J
J
Ive read through it a couple times... Luckily I have fairly large hands which are flexible so personally I could find an octave trill more conceivable than playing Le Vol up to speed. while it doesn't contain anything individually as tricky as those octaves, Moto Perpetuo pieces for me are much harder than short bursts of "really hard hand crap" as my teacher might say. The idea of maintaining such a consant velocity... makes me queasy haha.
Same reason Chopin Etudes can be so tricky; the notes just keep coming!

Nyiregyhazi, you definitely have my respect for programing that! and very well done too!

Last edited by jonnyboy126; 01/19/11 01:01 AM.
L
L
Originally Posted by Damon
He's pretty astounding. I thought Horowitz had amazing octaves but you can hear him drop a thumb here and there. Not so with Katsaris.

Are you talking about when Horowitz intentionally drops a note from octave passages? I remember him mentioning that sometimes he plays single notes here and there during an octave passage, but he does so in such a away that the ear wouldn't be able to perceive the difference. Perhaps your ears are especially astute if you noticed the difference.

Recent Repertoire:
Liszt: Concerto #1 in Eb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dY9Qw8Z7ao
Bach: Partita #2 in c minor
Beethoven: Sonata #23 in f minor, Opus 57 ("Appassionata")
Chopin: Etudes Opus 25 #6,9,10,11,12
Prokofiev: Sonata #3 in a minor
Suggestion diabolique
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Can anyone with good ears tell what Katsaris actually does about 40s seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qKIXQ-1zEw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOOfXjMEmBE

It seems absolutely impossible, but I'd swear to God that he's actually trilling with both hands in full double octaves (not alternating to a single notes as in the Brahms concerto- which really isn't actually that hard with a big hand). Is there some kind of trick going on here, is that seriously possible?

At that speed, much easier than you would think. There's a very similar passage near the beginning of Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 7 and I've never had any problem executing the double-octave trill, even when I was playing it in my early teens.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Whatever it is he is doing, it ain't pretty. I heard him do this arrangement live a few years back - his virtuosity was freakishly impressive, all right, but it wasn't an experience I'd like to repeat, at least not in a concert hall. Maybe it would work at a circus, where there wouldn't be any expectations of any musical interest.

This is probably overly generalized, but in my listening experience, there really seems to be some kind of correlation between extremes of virtuosity and musical lapses.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones

At that speed, much easier than you would think. There's a very similar passage near the beginning of Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 7 and I've never had any problem executing the double-octave trill, even when I was playing it in my early teens.

I was hoping somebody here might have actually done it, thanks for chiming in!

Btw, Nyiregyhazi, do you have a better recording of the bumblebee that you played in that video? Your hands did impressive stuff indeed but I couldn't make out what was being played at all. If you can play that well, you should try practicing the double octave trill.. I'm not advanced enough (but I wouldn't mind giving it a shot either!) and I actually think some of you might be able to do it. And if you some you can do it (even a sloppy job of it), top concert pianists can do it (at a level similar to Katsaris').

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission