2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1957, Barly, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,909 guests, and 349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by ClassicalMastery
What is the expected street price of the N1?
Somebody guessed around $6700 out of the $10K list, which is probably using a 2/3 rule of thumb? The N1 for sure will bring down the N2 street price.

C
C
Im not so sure the N1 will reduce the price of the N2 in the UK....my nearest AG stockist has just raised the quoted RRP of the N2 by about 7% to £9741 (which is $15300 at current exchange rate) and the same for the N3 to £13506 ($21300)...they typically only knock about 15-20% off the RRP so even if they gave the full 20% the N2 would still be around £7800 ( $12300 )...im just wandering if this is a sales tactic to artificially inflate the street price of the cheaper N1 (when it arrives)and sell more of them...I would be delighted if the N1 sold here for $6700 which would be about £4300 but I doubt it....im thinking the RRP will be around £7000 and it will sell at about £5500 still far too much for what you get..if anyone knows any dealers in the UK who give bigger discounts let me know...

Craig
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Here's a link comparing the N1, N2 and N3.

comparison

The N1 looks extremely attractive especially when compared to the other models. While I'm glad I bought the N3, I would have been just as happy (and saved considerably more money) if I were to have bought the N1. I can well imagine music schools stocking up on the N1's.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Here's a link comparing the N1, N2 and N3.

comparison

The N1 looks extremely attractive especially when compared to the other models. While I'm glad I bought the N3, I would have been just as happy (and saved considerably more money) if I were to have bought the N1. I can well imagine music schools stocking up on the N1's.
According to this comparison list, both the N3 and N2 are supposed to have the soundboard resonator. However, according to the www.avant-grand.com website, the soundboard resonator is only available on the N3. I believe the new comparison list with the N1 is wrong to say that the N2 has a soundboard resonator.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I like it. It seems like it has the core features that make it perfect as practice instrument for classical and jazz pianists, at a much more reasonable price. I could see piano students at places like Juliiard using them in their rooms, especially if they have access to special pricing.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Played it yesterday for a few minutes. Nothing groundbreaking, but that was expected. In the cacophony of the ballroom at the Marriott, you can't make any sonic judgements except very general. It seemed to play similar to the N2 & 3. I guess I'd say it was ok but nothing spectacular.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
The attraction is obviously the action rather than the specific sound of it. An equally good action would be available in a second hand GranTouch GT1 or GT2...at a fraction of the price. A GT or AG controlling a decent software piano is a tempting proposition.

Steve

Originally Posted by EssBrace

A used GranTouch is a much better option than the N1...same action and probably a better sound system, much better looking and about a third of the price.
Steve

The action in a GranTouch is a lot less sophisticated than the Avant Grand action.

Adrian Thomas
Adrian Thomas Music Services
Service Engineer - Hybrid Pianos & Strings
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by athomik

A used GranTouch is a much better option than the N1...same action and probably a better sound system, much better looking and about a third of the price.
Steve

The action in a GranTouch is a lot less sophisticated than the Avant Grand action.

... not for the N1. As far as I can tell, the white key tops are different, but the action's the same.

The N3 (and N2?) have the TRS - tactile response system, but that has nothing to do with the action per se, it just simulates the 'string' vibration through the keys and pedals.

Originally Posted by athomik

Steve

... not for the N1. As far as I can tell, the white key tops are different, but the action's the same.

The N3 (and N2?) have the TRS - tactile response system, but that has nothing to do with the action per se, it just simulates the 'string' vibration through the keys and pedals.

One significant difference is in the hammer weights. As the hammers on an acoustic piano change from one key to the next, the GranTouch had 4 different weights as you go from the bass to the treble. To get a more realistic transition, the Avant Grand uses 11 different weights, giving a more gradual progression.

Adrian Thomas
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Adrian, you learn something new every day. Thanks! (I have to honestly say I never would have known that from playing.)

Since you're a service engineer and I assume you've removed the action on the N3, could you share with us how to go about that? I had no problems removing the action of my GT, but I'd like a heads up on the easiest way to go about this on the N3.

Since you're a service engineer and I assume you've removed the action on the N3, could you share with us how to go about that? I had no problems removing the action of my GT, but I'd like a heads up on the easiest way to go about this on the N3.

On the Avant Grand (N1/N2/N3)the action is not removable (no idea why this was decided on). On the N2 & N3, you have to remove quite a bit of casework and electronics to get at the action. The N1 action is a lot easier to service, even if it is not removable.

Adrian Thomas
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
On the Avant Grand (N1/N2/N3)the action is not removable (no idea why this was decided on).

They had to get it in the case, right? I'm planning on having the action worked in in several years.

B
B
So if I get it right, the N1 seems to be the successor of the old GT2 right? At least the main idee is the same. Create an instrument with a real grand action and digital sound to get as close as possible to the real thing.

Well, at least the choice should not be difficult if your looking for a realistic action. The GT2 is far too old and still more expensive than the N1.

I personally think these type of instruments are a really good idea. Often enough you have to take care of not disturbing your neighbors or other people that seem to be bothered by almost anything...Just put on your phones and take the night to play some music.

I am really looking forward to playing this instrument and maybe, just maybe will I purchase one smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Belger, I don't know if I'd call the N1 the follow up of the GT2. The GranTouch series gave the appearance of a small grand piano.

If money and space were a consideration I would have gladly bought the N1. I'm still looking forward to seeing one in person.

B
B
You´re right. The looks are a bit different. But I think its aiming at the same market as the old GT2 but with newer specs of the digital part of the instrument.
About 10 years ago I was wanting to buy one but finally decided to go with an upright. If I remember correctly the price at that time was 6.500,- Euro. Don´t know why older instruments with poor electronics compared to nowadays get more expensive. The cheapest I found was around 8.000 Euro.
Stupid pricing. Will anybody still buys the GT2???
I think not.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Stupid pricing. Will anybody still buys the GT2???

I can imagine that restaurants, cruise ships, churches, TV studios and folks who don't want to shell out twice as much for an N3 would find the GT2 attractive.

I owned a GT1 for 12 years or so and while its amplification system was lacking when compared to the N2, though an external system (which all the venues I mentioned would use), it sounds just great.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm wondering how effective the N1 would be a as controller for software pianos. Anyone having success with this?

Lawrence

H
H
i using a N1 to control Galaxy Vintage D, it does sound much better but i found it very hard to set the velocity curve.... seems like the midi output of the N1 only goes up to around 100...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have that problem with my Clavinova. If I hammer the keys I can reach 108 velocity, never more.

The velocity tool in Vintage D allows me to shift the velocity curve to compensate:
[Linked Image]

Drawing this curve is tedious with Vintage D's velocity tool. I wish it had a tool like Pianoteq's for creating the velocity curve. Just click to create a dot, and slide it into position. Easy.
[Linked Image]

But either way I can "expand" the Clavinovas velocity range to suit.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission