2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
A2mom Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi, my Clavinova CVP207 is in the same room as 6 ft grand. Is a noise cancelling headphone going to be adequate to enable both digital piano and grand pianos to be played at the same time and having the players hear only their respective pianos? Anybody with experience using say an Audio Technica ANC7B noise cancelling headphone? Thanks.

A2mom
Northern California
Shigeru Kawai SK3, Clavinova CVP207
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by A2mom
Hi, my Clavinova CVP207 is in the same room as 6 ft grand. Is a noise cancelling headphone going to be adequate to enable both digital piano and grand pianos to be played at the same time and having the players hear only their respective pianos? Anybody with experience using say an Audio Technica ANC7B noise cancelling headphone? Thanks.

Those noise cancelling headphones work best with constant pitched noise like the constant air noise in a plane or the constant noise from a lawn mower. I don't think you'd be happy with a set (or two) in this situation, but I'm certainly no expert when it comes to headphones.

I have a set of Sennheiser noise cancelling headphones that I use on long car trips (I have a diesel) or plane flights. They work great for what they do.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
This is purely conjecture, but that's never stopped me before wink

Noise canceling headphones work by "listening" to outside sound and then sending a signal (in the headphone) that is the opposite of what it "hears" thereby canceling out the outside sound. So given that, here are some problems for their use in this situation:

- Noise canceling headphones by their very design can only react to external sounds and there is always some delta between the time the external sound is "heard" by the headphones and when they are able to produce the countering sound. This is why they work best for sounds that are constant. If you wanted them to cancel out someone playing the piano, they'd always be a bit "behind" since the sound is constantly changing.

- Since they attempt to cancel out the sound by basically sending the same sound out just out of phase, any time the acoustics notes and the digitals notes overlapped, the noise canceling soundwaves are likely to also interfere with the DP's.

Given that, I would think that it would not be effective to use active noise canceling headphones. You could always try to find a pair of closed headphones that have very good isolation. Or maybe even go with a set of IEM's while also wearing some hearing protectors (like those who shoot guns wear).

Also note that even though the acoustic player might not be able to hear the notes that the digital player is playing, they will likely hear the "thump thump thump" of the digitals keys hitting their stops. Depending on the level of player, what they're practicing and what piece their practicing, this could be quite distracting.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I'd like to point out that the person wearing the headphones might have to work a bit harder focusing, but that is not a bad thing. A pianist should be able to cancel out anything as they play to be in the zone, or cancel out selective things that are not a part of music-making. So even if they are using headphones that aren't specifically made to cancel outside noise, it would be a good way to test their focus.

I suggest if you cannot possibly put the digital in another room, do whatever you can to help dampen the grand (i.e., piano cover, acoustic tiles on the walls/ceiling, carpet/rug underneath, etc.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
A2mom Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks to all for helping to explain workings and limitations of "noise cancelling" in this context. bitWrangler's explanation of phase addition to cancel "noise" is crystal clear. This seems to be a negative in terms of potential unwanted or unintended alteration of the sound wave. So, I'll go with "nature" and headphones which are not noise cancelling. Now, if I can only find a set which won't mash Dumbo's ears!

A2mom
Northern California
Shigeru Kawai SK3, Clavinova CVP207

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission