Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1601141 - 01/19/11 09:59 PM Concerned about Teachers approach???
hoffy Offline

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
OK, I have had two lessons with my new teacher. When I saw him for the first time, the brief was simple. As a returning learning, I said that my goal is to move away from classical leanings and more into Jazz, contemporary music, including and ultimately improv. I also said that I would go back steps if needed and would do method learning if required. The first lesson was talking, a bit of playing and a bit of listening, including different styles on his iPod and him showing me what he could do. For me, it was a perfect intro and pretty much what I expected. He said that I really needed to nail down the styles that I liked. He also said that doing something like Alfred's may be a bit boring and maybe not required.

For the second lesson, we jumped into the deep end. He showed me a few basic cords and we leapt straight into the Hancock tune "Watermelon Man". The idea was for me to play basic shell Cords and start to feel the tempo, which will lead into improv. We also covered a piece that I had been playing and also talked about what I could do next. Apart from the Hancock piece, he had nothing else planned.

Now, I have to admit, that I am only two lessons in, but I feel a little uneasy about it. I am not sure whether this is a case of learning EXACTLY what I asked for (cords/ improv/ playing from lead sheets) and I just don't know it yet, but is this something I could expect (based on my initial spec)? How long would you give it before deciding Whether I need a different tutor? Should I be trialling someone different NOW (there is another tutor in my area who does Jazz).

Cheers

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1601155 - 01/19/11 10:12 PM Re: Concerned about Teachers approach??? [Re: hoffy]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
While it's a little more vague than I'm used to, I would still suggest giving it a couple more lessons. Two is kind of difficult to base any decision on I would say.

Kawai K3

#1601168 - 01/19/11 10:29 PM Re: Concerned about Teachers approach??? [Re: hoffy]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: hoffy

Now, I have to admit, that I am only two lessons in, but I feel a little uneasy about it. I am not sure whether this is a case of learning EXACTLY what I asked for (cords/ improv/ playing from lead sheets) and I just don't know it yet, but is this something I could expect (based on my initial spec)? How long would you give it before deciding Whether I need a different tutor? Should I be trialling someone different NOW (there is another tutor in my area who does Jazz).

Cheers

I think you are premature in your feelings.

First, it takes a while for a teacher to understand a student, which includes what they know, what they don't know, how fast they learn, what style of learning is best, will they practice, will they practice correctly, etc, etc.

Two weeks is early in the process.

Second, students such as yourself present a somewhat difficult task for a teacher, for at least two reasons.

The first is you are not a brand-new student, so the teacher does not have the luxury of starting off at the beginning. Instead, he/she must play the part of a detective, and discover what you know, and what you don't, and try to fix bad habits all the while keeping you interested long enough to have fruitful progress so you don't quit before the cake is ready to come out of the oven.

Second, you are wanting to:

Quote:
move away from classical leanings and more into Jazz, contemporary music, including and ultimately improv.

This means that the teacher does not have the method books to teach you the "traditional" classical way.

Thus, for music other than classical, and especially for improv, it is a "lets explore this together" journey rather than teach step by step from a standardized method book.

I have been down this path with numerous students, and it has taken as much as several months before we settle in, and I learn the person's weakness, try to fill in the gaps, and then finally move on to forward motion in the relatively uncharted waters (compared to classical) of pop, blues (I don't teach modern Jazz,) lead sheets, and improv.

What he did with Watermelon Man with you is exactly what I would do to see where you are, and how you respond. Plus, that choice of music fits in exactly with what you asked for. I don't get your problem.

I suggest that you work real hard, and see where you are in three months, if you are making decent progress.

#1601175 - 01/19/11 10:48 PM Re: Concerned about Teachers approach??? [Re: hoffy]
Chris G Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I think you should give it some more time. If you are used to a teacher who has a very structured approach, uses a method book and gives set assignments every week it probably feels strange to take lessons from someone who is less structured. I've had both kinds of teacher and I prefer a teacher who is flexible, I'm sure there are other students who need more structure. I would not give up so early on this teacher because two weeks is not a lot of time to learn much about jazz chords and improvisation.

Edited by Chris G (01/19/11 10:50 PM)

#1601182 - 01/19/11 10:58 PM Re: Concerned about Teachers approach??? [Re: hoffy]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
I agree with the above posts especially rocket's suggestion to give the teacher 3 months. That's what I did with my former jazz teacher.

The good thing is that he is already giving you tunes, so that you're learning the chords in context.

#1601212 - 01/20/11 12:48 AM Re: Concerned about Teachers approach??? [Re: hoffy]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
It sounds to me like exactly what you wanted, but what do I know? rocket88 is the experienced one here, and I'd take what he has to say to heart. But "shell voicings" and feeling the tempo sounds like the jazz thread here in the ABF. And it's a tune you like, no? So, as I say, it sounds exactly right to me.

JMO, and it's worth about 2 cents, but there you go laugh

Cathy

#1601217 - 01/20/11 01:01 AM Re: Concerned about Teachers approach??? [Re: hoffy]
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Like jotur, I'm confused...

Your complaint is that... you're doing exactly what you want to do?

Huh. Wish I had that problem! wink

Stick with it a bit longer, like everyone suggested. You'll get a better feel after a few more weeks.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.

#1601320 - 01/20/11 07:25 AM Re: Concerned about Teachers approach??? [Re: hoffy]
hoffy Offline

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Thanks everyone. Yes, I have to admit that this teaching method is not what I would normally expect. I suppose I have been conditioned into a more stricter regimented way of learning, that I was concerned that I could be being led up the garden path.

I just wanted to check that this didn't seem abnormal in general. I already feel a bit more at ease.

Cheers

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
79 registered (alfredo capurso, ASLevelMusicTheory, Atrys, accordeur, BB Player, 16 invisible), 1103 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251533 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Yesterday at 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Yesterday at 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission