Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1601140 - 01/19/11 09:58 PM Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube
davefrank Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hello friends, I chord-ially invite you to enjoy my *new* free Walking Bassline Clinic, located at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyRdNAMfYH4

Included are detailed discussions/demonstrations of:

Beginning bassline techniques
Advanced Bassline Tehcniques
How to learn to improvise a walking bassline and a RH line
Two new performances by Dave.

I PROMISE a very good time for nuttin'!

Blessings and keep swingin:)

Dave Frank
NYC

Piano & Music Accessories
#1601221 - 01/20/11 01:13 AM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: davefrank]
Othello Offline

Wonderful gift to all musicians!! Thank you Mr Dave Frank for your generous sharing of your teaching with us. Dave, is part 2 and 4 on youtube as well?

#1601231 - 01/20/11 01:34 AM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: Othello]
charleslang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Othello
Wonderful gift to all musicians!! Thank you Mr Dave Frank for your generous sharing of your teaching with us.

+1

Othello, you can click the down 'chevron-arrow' to the above left of the video on youtube and the other parts become visible.

Baldwin Model R (1974), Hardman 5'9" grand (1915), Rieger-Kloss 42.5" vertical

#1601232 - 01/20/11 01:34 AM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: davefrank]
davefrank Offline
500 Post Club Member

yes, there are 6 parts that should be there, please let me know if you're having any difficulty seeing them..

#1601235 - 01/20/11 01:46 AM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: davefrank]
charleslang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Congrats Dave BTW on the good review in Downbeat Magazine on your latest album.

I actually had a similar thought as Doerschuk about the two directions in the album, with the originals on the one hand and the more cerebral covers on the other. I'm sure others are, like me, looking forward to seeing where your originals go in the next one.

(Also I was delighted that he singled out Times Square, which was an instant favorite of mine on this album.)

Edited by charleslang (01/20/11 01:58 AM)

Baldwin Model R (1974), Hardman 5'9" grand (1915), Rieger-Kloss 42.5" vertical

#1601411 - 01/20/11 11:38 AM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: davefrank]
Happy Birthday knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
this is awesome!

#1601732 - 01/20/11 08:33 PM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: davefrank]
2000 Post Club Member

Dave,

I just finished watching all 6 videos. I've never seen anything like it on Youtube. The whole package is just unbelievable. Especially pt 5 and 6 where you break it down for guys like me. 6 months to do this? Sign me up right now!

One thing you did not talk about is the relation between the 2 melodies. Should one attempt to create counter melodies and such?

Also, are the LH lines always to be played right on the beat, or can you play with that?

#1601740 - 01/20/11 08:57 PM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: davefrank]
davefrank Offline
500 Post Club Member

I really enjoyed hangin with you this weekend, that was quite the night with Keith, huh? Glad you were able to make it to the Apple..very good ?'s. The connection between the LH improvised bassline and the RH improvised line is, in my view, optional. We're trying, in basic terms, to improvise two separate lines at the same time over the same changes. If you want to try to connect them two lines somehow, that would be interesting, it would work and add a bit of a different dimension to the overall sound, but it's not necessary, and it would be even harder:)In terms of playing off the beat with with the bassline..you can do anything if it sounds good. Adding the swing 18th and trips as in section 6 (?) helps to break the constant 1/4 bassline feel. Boy, playing the bassline actually on the offbeats would be weird, see how it works..

DF

#1601741 - 01/20/11 09:00 PM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: davefrank]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
Hi Dave,

Nice stuff here. But I'm not sure you can 'advertise' your wares here. If I did what you just did, they'd rip me a new one.

Nothing personal of course. smile

#1601747 - 01/20/11 09:10 PM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: davefrank]
2000 Post Club Member

>> I really enjoyed hangin with you this weekend, that was quite the night with Keith, huh? Glad you were able to make it to the Apple..

yeah, I was a good boy. I ate my Chinese food and didn't even cough once. Keith was amazing, I'm really glad I made it.

#1601753 - 01/20/11 09:14 PM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: knotty]
davefrank Offline
500 Post Club Member

Please enlighten me as to which wares are not to be advertised. 100% giving, not asking for anything.

Thanks for helping me

Dave Frank

#1601754 - 01/20/11 09:19 PM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: davefrank]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: davefrank
Please enlighten me as to which wares are not to be advertised. 100% giving, not asking for anything.

Thanks for helping me

Dave Frank

OK. You're asking people to visit your website in the videos. As I said before, I could care less. You could advertise all you want for all I care but... that means it opens the door for others to do so as well - myself included.

I've got a ton of 'freebies' I could post here, but if I did, I'd most likely be 'reported' to the mods.

For example, suppose I started a thread that read: "New Age Piano Clinic with Edward Weiss now on YouTube." Don't think for a second that a thread like that wouldn't get flamed.

And I will start one if yours is allowed to stand.

Fair is fair. As I said before, nothing personal. smile

#1601756 - 01/20/11 09:23 PM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: eweiss]
davefrank Offline
500 Post Club Member

Put something useful for all to enjoy and all will enjoy it. You sang this song to me once before. It smells real bad.

DF

#1601758 - 01/20/11 09:25 PM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: davefrank]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: davefrank
Put something useful for all to enjoy and all will enjoy it. You sang this song to me once before. It smells real bad.DF

Well Dave, it may smell bad to you, but them's the rules. Here's an idea. Why don't you actually participate more here and post a sig file like the rest of us. It would give you more 'cred' then simply popping in and posting your 'clinics.'

#1601936 - 01/21/11 02:03 AM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: davefrank]
dissyfingers Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi Dave...Watched the 6 video's walking bassline class..Fantastic..thanks for the 110% input..looking forward to the Erroll Garner master class..I'm on the other side of the world and it didn't cost me a cent to attend your class...Some people must live miserable lives tell tailing..Dave, thank you for your generous contribution ..worth 100's of dollars to a student learning Jazz from a teacher...yet alone the time that would be required to attend lessons...Thanks again....Doug

#1601976 - 01/21/11 04:30 AM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: eweiss]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted By: eweiss
Well Dave, it may smell bad to you, but them's the rules. Here's an idea. Why don't you actually participate more here and post a sig file like the rest of us. It would give you more 'cred' then simply popping in and posting your 'clinics.'

Why so stingy Ed?

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#1601988 - 01/21/11 04:59 AM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: chrisbell]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
I have enjoyed several of Dave's clinics by finding them here, and never thought a second thing about it! 100% giving is totally the feeling I got from them!

#1602000 - 01/21/11 05:21 AM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: davefrank]
davefrank Offline
500 Post Club Member

All you cats owe me eight dollars!

Dave

I'm looking forward to sharing with you some impressions of a night with Mr. Jarrett. Will do so tmrrww. Gotta love the internet. What we're doing here is off-the-charts high high human potential stuff:)

Edited by davefrank (01/21/11 05:22 AM)

#1602001 - 01/21/11 05:24 AM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: davefrank]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Wait a minute! I thought you owed me eight dollars! laugh

#1602020 - 01/21/11 06:31 AM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: davefrank]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
What better person to explain this kool complex technique than someone who has learnt directly from the magnificent Lennie Tristano, can sound like Dave McKenna, and who can explain jazz concepts so clearly ?

Thank you Dave for your continuing generosity. You don't know how many times I have referred back to your masterclasses on Charlie Parker, Frank Zappa and Bill Evans.

#1602065 - 01/21/11 08:38 AM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: davefrank]
Mar_red Offline

Loc: Poland
Dave, you should know that you are also listened to, studied and greatly admired in the middle of Europe.

Please, keep it your generous way!!! smile

#1602079 - 01/21/11 09:33 AM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: davefrank]
Ken Knapp Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Ed does have a point. I think we need guidelines so people will KNOW what is considered advertising and what is not.

First of all, if someone posts something COMPLETELY FREE, such as free lessons, it can't be a thinly veiled ad to lead people into making a purchase. For instance, if it's a video lesson, it should not have references in it about "going to my website and signing up for more". It really should something that is given to the people on the forums to help them in one way or the other. Sure, if everyone knows you did the video and you have your website in your tagline, they can find your business. I think that's ok. EVERYTHING about the video should smell like a helpful gift, not an ad.

Secondly, posting videos should not be your only participation on the forum. If you only show up to post videos or whatever, then it is going to be considered that you're using the forum to promote your business. Yep, the moderators are going to have a bit of a tough time making judgment calls on this point, but we'll just have to do our best.

Third, whatever videos are posted should have SUBSTANCE to them. If videos are obviously thrown together just to get someone's name thrown around on the forum then I'm going to call it advertising.

Maybe a good way to look at it would be this. You participate on the forum and you develop friendships. You might do a video to illustrate a point in the conversation taking place. You might do a video to help a friend who states he/she is having a problem. Or you might do a video to generally instruct and help forum members because you have an area of expertise and you are doing so to help. In the piano forum dealers are not allowed to try to sell pianos. They are not allowed to constantly make self-serving posts. But it is allowed for them to share their knowledge to help others or answer questions.

I am seeing a lot of positive comments on Dave's videos. So if Ed were to give a gift to everyone of some instructional videos following the guidelines above, I'm going to assume they will be received in the same spirit. However, if we see a bunch of moderator reports I'm going to assume there is something personal going on.

As always, the moderators are the final judge if anything is questionable.

Piano Organ Depot
http://www.pianoorgandepot.com
Hammond Organ Technician
http://www.tonewheeltech.com
Vice President - MITA, International
http://www.mitatechs.org

#1602126 - 01/21/11 11:06 AM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: davefrank]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
As I see it, if someone posts a free lesson, and in that lesson, is a link to sign up for paid lessons, then it is up to the viewer, whether or not, they wish to follow that link.
The free lesson is still free, nevertheless.

Ed has a link to his paid lessons, in his signature, as do some others here (myself included).
If such a link is deemed unacceptable, then a policy decision should be made clear to all members

#1602202 - 01/21/11 12:56 PM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: davefrank]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Dave Frank has been putting up some really important information from the kindness of his heart on love of jazz.

First of all, let's define the level. Dave's expertise is at such high a level that the mere posting of the information is "news". It's beyond what is normally available anywhere. Anyone who knows any jazz understands this.

And Dave interacts with us (even in the ABF jazz threads).

So let's not mess with this. And I have questions for you too Dave.

#1602205 - 01/21/11 01:03 PM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: davefrank]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Dave, awesome stuff.

My specific question is that you didn't define any specific choices for the middle notes (3 remaining notes) in stepwise movement.

Some people who teach walking bass often suggest to make the last note a chromatic approach to the next root.

Or that note choices outline the chord quality at least in part.

It seems pretty clear that depending on direction, chromatic (non-scale) movement will be needed on at least one note.

Are you assuming here that what your "ear" tells you is correct without a further explanation?

#1602215 - 01/21/11 01:15 PM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: jazzwee]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jazzwee
Dave Frank has been putting up some really important information from the kindness of his heart on love of jazz.

First of all, let's define the level. Dave's expertise is at such high a level that the mere posting of the information is "news".

Please. From the kindness of his heart? He wants you to go to his website and purchase stuff. Again ... no problem here. But if he can do it, so can others selling stuff here.

As far as 'level of expertise' goes, it's irrelevant.

#1602222 - 01/21/11 01:24 PM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: R0B]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted By: R0B
Ed has a link to his paid lessons, in his signature, as do some others here (myself included).
If such a link is deemed unacceptable, then a policy decision should be made clear to all members

My impression is that the link in the sig *is* the policy - and is not only ok, but encouraged, and is asked of professionals in the industry. So I think it's fine.

Cathy

#1602227 - 01/21/11 01:29 PM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: eweiss]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted By: eweiss
Please. From the kindness of his heart? He wants you to go to his website and purchase stuff. Again ... no problem here. But if he can do it, so can others selling stuff here.

As far as 'level of expertise' goes, it's irrelevant.

I agree that the level of expertise is irrelevant.

But I don't see a link to Dave's website. I've only watched one of his videos, a while back, and I don't remember a reference to his website. One post somewhere said something about his wife's website, maybe? At any rate, for me, who is a Luddite extroardinaire, he's hiding the link to his website from which he may or may not want me to buy something. But if I can't find a reference to it, I can't buy anything smile

Cathy

#1602228 - 01/21/11 01:31 PM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: davefrank]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

What have I purchased? I haven't looked at anything to purchase. The links go to youtube! I didn't need to go to any website.

The 'level of expertise' is not irrelevant Ed. It's about value.

Common knowledge doesn't impart value. It goes to the heart of why all of us participate in a forum.

Dave Frank learned from Jazz great Lennie Tristano. Lennie has left us. Now here being codified on the internet is Lennie's teachings being shared. I don't have a nearby or common source of this information. Dave didn't give a "teaser" here so you can pay for more lessons. He's explaining the whole COMPLETE concept!

It seems on the other hand that you're using this event to justify your ability to sell your wares. Ok. To be fair, do exactly what Dave does. If it draws an audience, then good. It proves the value.

If there's no audience, then the VALUE must be missing. Then people percieve it as spam.

The community is judging here.

#1602243 - 01/21/11 01:47 PM Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now on Youtube [Re: jazzwee]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jazzwee
The community is judging here.

I get it. And once again, no problem here. But let Dave participate and add a sig file like the rest of us. His 'specialness' is of no consequence here.

I'd expect the same if Lang Lang himself started posting here. Although I doubt he would. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
123 registered (accordeur, aesop, 36251, aDino, 40 invisible), 1615 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156334 Topics
2296016 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
High school student questions..
by lavienrose16
31 minutes 18 seconds ago
August Piano Bar, drinks on the house
by Peyton
Today at 09:40 AM
I just read this at the Yamaha FAQ website
by BrianDX
Today at 09:21 AM
Schimmel DUO piano
by wimpiano
Today at 08:56 AM
Feurich 190 cm grand from 1920 - Is it any good?
by pinkfloydhomer
Today at 08:16 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission