Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1602070 - 01/21/11 08:48 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: hoffy]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: hoffy
...Anyhow, things (thanks?) for bringing this man to my attention (I have to admit I have never heard of him. Unfortunately, I have heard of Lady Gaga).

Anyhow, I have a date with google and the phrase "Lang Lang Piano"

hoffy - thanks for your thanks - glad I could perform a valuable public service ... for awhile there I was beginning to believe it's true what Einstein said (or was it Donald Trump) about a "genius not being appreciated in his own time..." laugh

JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1602265 - 01/21/11 02:09 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
Agilita Offline

Loc: Missouri
John Frank, if you read "Journey of a Thousand Miles", you will understand why he struggled and couldn't answer the question regarding a career other than concert pianist. His father would never have allowed it. He had no other option.

This was an interesting read regarding the "one child" policy in China and the high expectations of the parents. Most American parents would consider it abusive.

#1602281 - 01/21/11 02:28 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: Agilita]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Agilita
John Frank, if you read "Journey of a Thousand Miles", you will understand why he struggled and couldn't answer the question regarding a career other than concert pianist. His father would never have allowed it. He had no other option.

Agilita - somehow I assumed that something like that might have been the case, although I wasn't sure - I was guessing that he probably started lessons almost before he could walk and was compelled and driven to pursue his pianistic studies under intense pressure.

And thanks for the book recommendation - I may eventually get to it - right now I'm reading a fascinating book called "Shakespeare by Another Name", a detailed investigation into why Shakespeare (the author) was not William Shakespeare (the actor), but was instead Edward de Vere, the Count of Oxford, who for various reasons had to write under an assumed name. An incredible revelaton - if true!

JF

#1602532 - 01/21/11 09:32 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: John Frank
Originally Posted By: 4evr88
There are more than 20 million young aspiring classical pianists in China.

Could that number be anywhere remotely close to correct? That seems inconcievable. 20 million!

What an incredible shot in the arm that must be for the piano manufacturers there - not to mention the teaching "industry".

But where will they all find recording contracts and concert halls in which to perform?

JF

It's a staggering number, representing 1.5% of the population. Lang Lang mentioned it in one of his interviews, and you can read some other sources like the one below. The piano makers don't benefit as much as you'd think because most families do not have the means to purchase a piano, so their youth practice in school, stores, wherever they can. My kids do not have any idea how easy they have it.

The Land of 20 Million Pianists
"... most provincial cities are building new concert halls, part of China's current construction mania fueled by economic growth. Someone will have to perform in them, and Liu hopes this will lead to a new generation of orchestras. The other key development is the mass production of musicians in China: a staggering 20 million youngsters are said to be learning the piano, 10 million the violin, and the conservatories are bulging. The new multi-story Central Conservatory building in Beijing will house no fewer than five recital halls."

#1602585 - 01/21/11 11:30 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
I've heard the number is closer to 30 million, but what's a few million among friends? With 1.3 *billion* people, any small percentage of the Chinese population is still a whole lot o' people.

#1602644 - 01/22/11 01:58 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: 4evrBeginR]
fallapart Offline

Originally Posted By: 4evr88
There are more than 20 million young aspiring classical pianists in China. Lang Lang probably is the single most important driving force behind this thirst for western classical piano in the post Chinese cultural revolution era. I dare say you would not find 20 million young aspiring guitarists, or cellists, or anything else.

The 20 million kids practicing piano not because of Lang Lang, but because if you pass certain grade level in piano exam, you get extra credit when applying schools (elementary, middle, every level). And if you win a prize in a competition, you get more credits. And, actually there are a lot of these "anything else," because there's a graded exam for almost all the extracurriculum ever existed.

#1602647 - 01/22/11 02:02 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
fallapart Offline

So much for high-level, penetrating, classy interviews pandering to "inquiring minds that want to know" and so much for respect for rare, superhuman talent. But Lang (to repectfully refer to him by his last name) is a great role model for all of us Adult Beginners who gyrate and emote as much as him and who have hopes and aspirations of some day playing on and being interviewed by somebody's morning show - even if it's only the morning announments program at the local elementary school.

A real penetrating interviewer should ask Lang Lang about his choice of program at the White House dinner. The Chinese song he played is from an old movie about how Chinese army defeated the Americans in the Korean war.

#1602651 - 01/22/11 02:12 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
fallapart Offline

And thanks for the book recommendation - I may eventually get to it - right now I'm reading a fascinating book called "Shakespeare by Another Name", a detailed investigation into why Shakespeare (the author) was not William Shakespeare (the actor), but was instead Edward de Vere, the Count of Oxford, who for various reasons had to write under an assumed name. An incredible revelaton - if true!

JF

I just finished a book called "Shakespeare's Lost Kingdom" and it seems that it talkes about exactly the same thing. The author, Charles Beauclerk, Earl of Burford, is a descendent of this Edward de Vere.

#1602681 - 01/22/11 03:02 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: fallapart]
jfd Offline

Originally Posted By: fallapart
A real penetrating interviewer should ask Lang Lang about his choice of program at the White House dinner. The Chinese song he played is from an old movie about how Chinese army defeated the Americans in the Korean war.

I am a Chinese. I have to point out that the song is very popular among Chinese people not because of the old movie. I didn't even know it is from the old movie until you mentioned in your post. The song is often used for Chinese people (especially those who don't live in China anymore) to express their love to their motherland. You can also read the Wiki for more information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Motherland

#1602689 - 01/22/11 03:09 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: fallapart]
jfd Offline

Originally Posted By: fallapart

The 20 million kids practicing piano not because of Lang Lang, but because if you pass certain grade level in piano exam, you get extra credit when applying schools (elementary, middle, every level). And if you win a prize in a competition, you get more credits. And, actually there are a lot of these "anything else," because there's a graded exam for almost all the extracurriculum ever existed.

Where did you hear that???? It is so not true!!!! I believe most chinese parents encouraging their children to learn piano or violin is mainly because piano and violin are classic.

#1602746 - 01/22/11 07:13 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: jfd]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jfd
...I am a Chinese.

jfd - do you know how many of those 20 million Chinese pianists have access to the internet in general, and to Piano World in particular? And if so, how free are they to post without censorship or fear of repraisal?

JF

#1602999 - 01/22/11 02:53 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
jfd Offline

...I am a Chinese.

jfd - do you know how many of those 20 million Chinese pianists have access to the internet in general, and to Piano World in particular? And if so, how free are they to post without censorship or fear of repraisal?

JF

I don't know. But what you were saying has to do with my posts? Just because I am a Chinese??!!??

Edited by jfd (01/22/11 02:54 PM)

#1603117 - 01/22/11 05:25 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: jfd]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

...I am a Chinese.

JF

I don't know. But what you were saying has to do with my posts? Just because I am a Chinese??!!??

Well, yes - precisely because you said you were Chinese.

I was thinking that maybe you were originally from there (and perhaps living somewhere else now) and so might have some intimate and detailed and factual knowledge concerning the things I asked about.

Or if you were not born and raised there you might still have some relatives living there now who were keeping you updated periodically on events and situations in China.

Or I was merely trying to make a sly and devious racist statement under the pretext of asking you a seemingly innocent question.

Two of the three possibilities I listed above are true and correct. You'll have to decide which is which smile

JF

#1604030 - 01/23/11 06:10 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: jfd]
EastRock Offline

Loc: Southern New England

I am a Chinese. I have to point out that the song is very popular among Chinese people not because of the old movie. I didn't even know it is from the old movie until you mentioned in your post. The song is often used for Chinese people (especially those who don't live in China anymore) to express their love to their motherland. You can also read the Wiki for more information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Motherland

I am also from China. The song's anti-American overtone is well known in China. Is it possible that Mr. Lang did not know that? Yes. But is that likely? I would say not.

If Mr. Lang knew what the song is about and chose to play it in White House (given what we know about him that would not be surprising) it is truly childish and deplorable.

Mr. Lang is a very talented pianist. His showy and pretentious tendencies are also evident. It is great that he is proud of being Chinese, but there is no need to insult "foreign devils" this way. If he did not know the origin of the song he obviously can use some study.

I do admire Mr. Lang's achievements and wish him great future. After all I would like to see a Chinese pianist to attain greatness comparable to Horowitz and Rubinstein. There is a hope that he will be there.

Edited by EastRock (01/23/11 06:25 PM)

#1604057 - 01/23/11 06:58 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: EastRock]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: EastRock

If Mr. Lang knew what the song is about and chose to play it in White House (given what we know about him that would not be surprising) it is truly childish and deplorable.

I doubt he knew. After all, He's a fantastic pianist and yet he chose to go onto Fox news. How smart is that? grin

#1604083 - 01/23/11 08:00 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
alexb Offline

Loc: USA
I don't know if he knew. Or maybe he DID know and thought it was appropriate for FOX smile

The thing is that Lang Lang spent his entire childhood and teenage years practicing piano an insane number of hours, living in poverty with an abusive father, etc. His life was very traumatic (the suicide "suggestion" from his father, the preventing of Lang's mother from visiting, etc.), and these things show up later in life. He knew not much but piano and the word "practice". Many see his over-the-top mannerisms and gestures as fake and showy, but IMHO they are very real. They are the gestures of a man who is using them and his imagination while playing to escape. Still. He talks about this in his book - how he did this when he was a kid, etc. So the guy is very sincere IMHO. I don't see anything fake. Many laugh and point and whatever, but few know or care to understand. He is an incredible piano player who's also had to battle through some incredibly tough moments. And what he's doing is a good thing - promoting classical music to teens. It's actually incredible that he hasn't rebelled even more or given up the piano. It's quite remarkable how he's managed to carry on. If people would take the time to see behind the man, they would see how incredible he really is.

#1604089 - 01/23/11 08:08 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Hi AlexB,
That is an extremely eloquent description of Lang Lang. I have not read his book, but can only imagine what his childhood was like. I don't find the descriptions you offer as "far fetched" and quite honestly, if true, don't begrudge Lang Lang a moment of his fame and fortune. I am a life-long lover of classical music. I know my ear isn't as sophisticated as the life-long player of classical music, and while Lang Lang's versions of some of my favorite pieces aren't my favorite renditions, I certainly wouldn't find it appropriate to thus conclude that he doesn't have talent. Gould's interpretations of certain Bach pieces aren't my favorites either. Seems illogical, however, to say therefore that he doesn't have talent.
Thanks for your senstivity and your beautiful interpretation of Lang Lang's somewhat "odd" behavior. It opened my eyes to a new interpretation.

#1604139 - 01/23/11 09:02 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: Peyton]
EastRock Offline

Loc: Southern New England
Originally Posted By: Peyton

I doubt he knew. After all, He's a fantastic pianist and yet he chose to go onto Fox news. How smart is that? grin

In that regard, he was no less smart than anyone advertising on Fox News. grin

And he did not need to pay.

Edited by EastRock (01/23/11 09:05 PM)

#1604259 - 01/23/11 11:52 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
What is the link between Lang Lang and Fox News???

#1604324 - 01/24/11 02:11 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: alexb]
fallapart Offline

Originally Posted By: alexb
I don't know if he knew. Or maybe he DID know and thought it was appropriate for FOX smile

The thing is that Lang Lang spent his entire childhood and teenage years practicing piano an insane number of hours, living in poverty with an abusive father, etc. His life was very traumatic (the suicide "suggestion" from his father, the preventing of Lang's mother from visiting, etc.), and these things show up later in life. He knew not much but piano and the word "practice". Many see his over-the-top mannerisms and gestures as fake and showy, but IMHO they are very real. They are the gestures of a man who is using them and his imagination while playing to escape. Still. He talks about this in his book - how he did this when he was a kid, etc. So the guy is very sincere IMHO. I don't see anything fake. Many laugh and point and whatever, but few know or care to understand. He is an incredible piano player who's also had to battle through some incredibly tough moments. And what he's doing is a good thing - promoting classical music to teens. It's actually incredible that he hasn't rebelled even more or given up the piano. It's quite remarkable how he's managed to carry on. If people would take the time to see behind the man, they would see how incredible he really is.

I share the same opinion about his mannerism with you after reading his book. He mentioned that as a kid, when he practiced piano, he saw Tom and Jerry running around, and that's how he made all those long hours fun. There's a photo in the book showing a very young Lang Lang playing on stage, and he already had that signature facial expression. It couldn't be fake.

#1604428 - 01/24/11 08:53 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales
@alexb - very interesting - I will have to get his book smile

#1604429 - 01/24/11 08:56 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AlphaTerminus
First of all, Fox and Friends is the single most unintellectual, biased, mind-numbingly obnoxious show ever to exist on television.

I don't expect much though from FOX "News" viewers however.

Originally Posted By: hoffy
I gotta admit, you lost me when you said "Fox

Originally Posted By: Peyton
[I doubt he knew. After all, He's a fantastic pianist and yet he chose to go onto Fox news. How smart is that? grin

In that regard, he was no less smart than anyone advertising on Fox News. grin
And he did not need to pay.

Hey! What's up here? How dare all of you people turn my sad and pathetic, but vicious and racist rant about Lang Lang into a sad and pathetic, but vicious and racist (I'll figure this out later) rant about FOX News? mad Is this the epitome of presumptuousness, or what?

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
What is the link between Lang Lang and Fox News???

That's an easy one - they are both the best in their respective fields - and they can both be equally criticised and condemned without rational justification.

JF

#1604440 - 01/24/11 09:20 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: LaValse]
alexb Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: LaValse
@alexb - very interesting - I will have to get his book smile

Yeah, it's definitely a very interesting read. And I think many of the things that Lang Lang went through, many other Chinese kids went (and are going) through. So it's interesting to see things from that point of view. Then one can understand a whole lot more. Regarding Lang Langs playing, he's not my favorite pianist, but clearly he's extremely talented (we ARE talking about the very top here so things are very subjective, but for one to say he lacks talent is silly) to say the least. And most of all, I think he's very genuine.

Edited by alexb (01/24/11 09:21 AM)

#1604464 - 01/24/11 09:57 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

...do you know how many of those 20 million Chinese pianists have access to the internet in general, and to Piano World in particular? And if so, how free are they to post without censorship or fear of repraisal?

JF

East Rock - since you also say that you are from China can you answer the above question that I had previously posted here?

JF

#1604502 - 01/24/11 11:09 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
nipo Offline

...do you know how many of those 20 million Chinese pianists have access to the internet in general, and to Piano World in particular? And if so, how free are they to post without censorship or fear of repraisal?

JF

East Rock - since you also say that you are from China can you answer the above question that I had previously posted here?

JF

I only lived in China for a few years but the number of internet users there outnumbers the population of the United States. People who are paying for their child to take piano lessons certainly have internet connections in their home and likely on their cellphones too.
Pianoworld wasn't blocked when I was in Beijing and I doubt it is now either. None of the topics or discussion here touch upon areas Chinese posters would worry about censorship or reprisals.

#1604503 - 01/24/11 11:12 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: EastRock]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal

I am also from China. The song's anti-American overtone is well known in China. Is it possible that Mr. Lang did not know that? Yes. But is that likely? I would say not.

I would not be surprised one way or the other. When Ronald Reagan was running for re-election in 1984 they were playing Brice Springsteen's song Born in the USA at the rallies to get the crowd worked up. They must've never listened to the lyrics which were a searing indictment of Ronald Reagan and everything he stood for.

#1604600 - 01/24/11 01:10 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: Plowboy]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Gary Schenk
... When Ronald Reagan was running for re-election in 1984 they were playing Brice Springsteen's song Born in the USA at the rallies to get the crowd worked up. They must've never listened to the lyrics which were a searing indictment of Ronald Reagan and everything he stood for.

Well, old Bruce is an outstanding songwriter, guitarist, singer and entertainer - in fact, he is everyman's rock n' roller - but he was never widely acclaimed for the depth and breadth of his expertise in American History, the priciples of a Free Market Economy, or Political Philosophy. smile

JF

#1604637 - 01/24/11 01:46 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
interesting thread. I'm studying overseas in China this summer. If I don't post on piano world for the entire summer then we'll know it's censored or blocked.. smile I hope not though!

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528

#1604675 - 01/24/11 02:39 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: EastRock]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Mr. Lang is a very talented pianist. His showy and pretentious tendencies are also evident. It is great that he is proud of being Chinese, but there is no need to insult "foreign devils" this way. If he did not know the origin of the song he obviously can use some study.

Apparently, Mr. Lang knew very well what the song was all about and chose to play it precisely because of it's meaning.

While watching FOX news just a few minutes ago they came on with a report about Lang and his performance at the White House - it's seems he is admitting that the song is indeed an anti-American propoganda song, and that he knew it and deliberately played it to make a statement that "China is a country to be reconded with".

I agree with your assessment of Lang about this...

JF

#1604708 - 01/24/11 03:30 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
I think he just helped the relationship and public opinion of China get a little worse. Not that it needed any help lol..

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai MP7: Damper controller - bug or feature?
by Banshee
10/20/14 05:37 PM
MX100A Disklavier Field Service Manual-Wanted
by Shacky
10/20/14 05:12 PM
To bid.....or not to bid
by Bob
10/20/14 04:10 PM
Kawai ES100 splitting point
by tower120
10/20/14 03:54 PM
Is it really necessary to practice scales?
by rov
10/20/14 02:42 PM
Who's Online
152 registered (accordeur, anamnesis, alfredo capurso, ajames, 36 invisible), 1849 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158386 Topics
2325772 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission