Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
143 registered (Anita Potter, accordeur, Almaviva, anamnesis, 44 invisible), 1724 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1604712 - 01/24/11 03:36 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: John Frank
Originally Posted By: Gary Schenk
... When Ronald Reagan was running for re-election in 1984 they were playing Brice Springsteen's song Born in the USA at the rallies to get the crowd worked up. They must've never listened to the lyrics which were a searing indictment of Ronald Reagan and everything he stood for.

Well, old Bruce is an outstanding songwriter, guitarist, singer and entertainer - in fact, he is everyman's rock n' roller - but he was never widely acclaimed for the depth and breadth of his expertise in American History, the priciples of a Free Market Economy, or Political Philosophy. smile

Not that it matters, but I think the song was spot on. Still, you have to wonder what Reagan's advisers were thinking?

Edited by Gary Schenk (01/24/11 03:36 PM)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1604778 - 01/24/11 05:17 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine

Apparently, Mr. Lang knew very well what the song was all about and chose to play it precisely because of it's meaning.

While watching FOX news just a few minutes ago they came on with a report about Lang and his performance at the White House - it's seems he is admitting that the song is indeed an anti-American propoganda song, and that he knew it and deliberately played it to make a statement that "China is a country to be reconded with".

I agree with your assessment of Lang about this...

JF

That's what Fox is saying? That's really odd. I just heard Lang Lang interviewed on PBS about two hours ago and he swears he never knew what the song was about. He said he wanted nothing to do with politics, that he is just a pianist. He sounded very sincere.

Edited by Peyton (01/24/11 05:35 PM)

#1604781 - 01/24/11 05:29 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: Peyton]
Agilita Offline

Loc: Missouri
Posted on his Facebook page a little after 2 p.m. today:

I was deeply honored to have been invited to perform at the White House recently. The two pieces I played were, one, Maurice Ravel's "Ma mere l'Oye" (Mother Goose) for four hands, the other, a Chinese piece called "My Motherland". I selected this song because it has been a favorite of mine since I was a child. It was selected for no other reason but for the beauty of its melody.

I am, first and foremost, an artist. As such, I play music to bring people together.

America and China are my two homes. I am most grateful to the United States for providing me with such wonderful opportunities, both in my musical studies and for furthering my career. I couldn't be who I am today without those two countries.

My mission is to bridge cultures together through the beauty and inspiration of music.

Lang Lang

#1604789 - 01/24/11 05:56 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
alexb Offline

Loc: USA
If he said so on PBS and his site, then I believe him. If you read his book you will see that (as I said before) he's very genuine and a bit child-like naive in certain matters. All I saw from FOX was the below:

http://nation.foxnews.com/china-state-dinner/2011/01/23/did-pianist-lang-lang-dis-white-house

That's just stating what's been said about the song, and not that Lang Lang did it on purpose knowing or to provoke. Only FOX News provokes...

#1604792 - 01/24/11 05:59 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: Plowboy]
alexb Offline

... When Ronald Reagan was running for re-election in 1984 they were playing Brice Springsteen's song Born in the USA at the rallies to get the crowd worked up. They must've never listened to the lyrics which were a searing indictment of Ronald Reagan and everything he stood for.

Well, old Bruce is an outstanding songwriter, guitarist, singer and entertainer - in fact, he is everyman's rock n' roller - but he was never widely acclaimed for the depth and breadth of his expertise in American History, the priciples of a Free Market Economy, or Political Philosophy. smile

Not that it matters, but I think the song was spot on. Still, you have to wonder what Reagan's advisers were thinking?

I agree with you, but they were surely aware. What they were thinking (and they were of course correct) was that people wouldn't pay attention to the lyrics - just BORN IN THE USA - WOO HOO!

#1604846 - 01/24/11 07:17 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
thumb AlexB

#1604850 - 01/24/11 07:23 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
the media always try to fabricate news so it sells and they get better ratings. Sometimes you just never know what really is and what isnt. smile this might be one of those cases but either way, im sure lang lang loves the piano just the same.

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528

#1604885 - 01/24/11 08:07 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Peyton and Agilita - the report I saw was on Megan Kelly's show "America Live" around 2:30 pm and I'm fairly sure that he was reported to have made his statements that they reported while still in China before he came to the US to play at the White House - I think that's what they said - if so, he could be saying one thing there (to please the bureaucrats or under pressure from them) and just the opposite here for our public consumption - right now I can't find anything more on it.

On stand by about this...

JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1604896 - 01/24/11 08:18 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: alexb]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: alexb
... What they were thinking (and they were of course correct) was that people wouldn't pay attention to the lyrics - just BORN IN THE USA - WOO HOO!

You are definitely correct about this, but not in the way you would like to think - the song was basically about a man's bad experience in the Viet Nam War under Democrats Kennedy and our old buddy Johnson as Presidents - by Reagan's time the song was old hat and stale and irrelavent and so the lyrics weren't worth paying attention to much anymore - the only part that was still applicable and viable was the anthem like title - which could have been used by any party for any thing, but was wisely picked up by Reagan supporters and changed to mean something positive, much to the lasting chagrin of his opponents.

Most of us who were born in the USA are proud of it and will be more than glad to sing that anthem thumb

JF

Edited by John Frank (01/24/11 08:20 PM)

#1604902 - 01/24/11 08:23 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Peyton and Agilita - the report I saw was on Megan Kelly's show "America Live" around 2:30 pm and I'm fairly sure that he was reported to have made his statements that they reported while still in China before he came to the US to play at the White House - I think that's what they said - if so, he could be saying one thing there (to please the bureaucrats or under pressure from them) and just the opposite here for our public consumption - right now I can't find anything more on it.

JF

Or...gosh...they could be making it up! smile

#1604928 - 01/24/11 09:11 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
bluekeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
the song was basically about a man's bad experience in the Viet Nam War under Democrats Kennedy and our old buddy Johnson as Presidents

John,
We are all well aware of your partisan position. There is no point in reminding us of it every chance you can. The fact is Richard Nixon was also President during much of Vietnam, and there's nothing in the lyrics that indicates which part of the war Springstein was singing about. I really wish the mods would close this thread, and any others you use to push your politics. They are not appropriate on this forum.

#1604933 - 01/24/11 09:24 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: bluekeys]
hoffy Offline

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Originally Posted By: bluekeys
Quote:
the song was basically about a man's bad experience in the Viet Nam War under Democrats Kennedy and our old buddy Johnson as Presidents

John,
We are all well aware of your partisan position. There is no point in reminding us of it every chance you can. The fact is Richard Nixon was also President during much of Vietnam, and there's nothing in the lyrics that indicates which part of the war Springstein was singing about. I really wish the mods would close this thread, and any others you use to push your politics. They are not appropriate on this forum.
+1

#1605110 - 01/25/11 06:16 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: bluekeys]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

John,
We are all well aware of your partisan position. There is no point in reminding us of it every chance you can.

Not really every chance I can get - there have been a lot of "chances" in this thread that I've ignored - when I have responded it was only to clear up partisan misconceptions inserted into the thread by others...although they haven't expressed any gratitude for my doing so, I'm almost certain that they really appreciate my doing so smile

I really wish the mods would close this thread, and any others you use to push your politics. They are not appropriate on this forum.

bluekeys - I almost always enjoy your posts, but...

My intention here was to discuss the Lang interview - not "push my politics" - other posters here have turned this thread into an unjustified and irrelavent attack on FOX News and brought politics into it - I've tried my best to avoid all that (as any sensible mod could easily see) - but some of those attacks are just too rediculous to pass up and not shoot down - it was just too tempting and too easy! But even so, I've been very polite and considerate in all my responses (as any reading back through the thread will readily demostate).

You wish the mods would close this thread down? That's not nice or helpful or congenial - in fact, it's almost dictatorial. They probably will - eventually - but not because of anything I've posted here...

I am slightly curious why you object to my few so-called "political" responses when you express no objection to the many others posted here...it seems you have no problem if you agree with those views, but as soon as you disagree you call for a "close down" of the thread. Some - but not me - would call this almost being hypocritical, which would certainly be unfair and unkind since I'm sure you didn't intend to give that impression.

All I've tried to do was stick to talk about Lang...it's a tough job here, but someone has just got to do it.

JF

Edited by John Frank (01/25/11 07:04 AM)

#1605112 - 01/25/11 06:22 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: Peyton]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Peyton

JF

Or...gosh...they could be making it up! smile

Peyton, you rascal! Somehow I knew you were going to say that laugh Well, yes, they could - there's always that small chance, although it very doubtful - in this day and age News organization generally don't "make things up" - it's too easy to call them on it with all the various media available to check on things like this - that may just be wishful thinking on your part smile More likely is the possibility that Lang was just trying to do a CYA in his interview with PBS and on facebook. And there is also the possibilty that the remarks attributed to Lang when he was still in China might have been made on his behalf by others...

JF

Edited by John Frank (01/25/11 06:50 AM)

#1605139 - 01/25/11 08:06 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
bluekeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think you need to do some self examination, John. You are by far the most politically outspoken person on this forum. There are only one or two others whose partisan affiliation I can even guess. There are lots of places you can go to talk about politics, either in love-fests with the like-minded or shouting matches with your opponents. This isn't one of them.

Just because there is a tangential connection with piano doesn't make every topic appropriate. It's hard to believe you honestly thought a thread based on a Fox News story wasn't going to descend into partisan sniping.

In any case, I'll let you have the last word, and let the mods decide whether this kind of thread is appropriate. I for one come to PW to discuss playing the piano and have no further interest in pursuing this.

Edited by bluekeys (01/25/11 08:48 AM)

#1605144 - 01/25/11 08:10 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Frank,

My problem with your quote "While watching FOX news just a few minutes ago they came on with a report about Lang and his performance at the White House - it's seems he is admitting that the song is indeed an anti-American propoganda song, and that he knew it and deliberately played it to make a statement that "China is a country to be reconded with" is that it takes here-say and makes it fact...a done deal....the way it went down. That statement totally ignores the actual things he is saying and would lead one, that say only watches Fox news, to believe he is actually admitting to the terrible deed. (Note you say "he is admitting".) Quite frankly I owe no allegiance to Lang Lang (your statement to me "that may just be wishful thinking on your part" implies I do) and would be quite willing to accept the "fact" that he played the piece intentionaly to poke a stick into Americas eye, (I would be sorry to hear it as he seems to be a very sincere, heartfelt musician) but the facts thus far say the opposite.

Edited by Peyton (01/25/11 10:02 AM)

#1605196 - 01/25/11 10:00 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: bluekeys]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

...It's hard to believe you honestly thought a thread based on a Fox News story wasn't going to descend into partisan sniping.

I was - as they say - hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

I didn't praise FOX News - in any way or form. I simply reported that the interview took place on it. Others (as I listed in my post somewhere above) chose to inject media/political criticism here in this thread - for which I'm not responsible in any way.

But, thanks for your polite and reasonable reply. Looking forward to corresponding with you in other threads/other times.

JF

#1605203 - 01/25/11 10:13 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: Peyton]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Peyton
Frank,

... Quite frankly I owe no allegiance to Lang Lang (your statement to me "that may just be wishful thinking on your part" implies I do) and would be quite willing to accept the "fact" that he played the piece intentionaly to poke a stick into Americas eye... but the facts thus far say the opposite.

Peyton - I was only kidding about your "wishful thinking" - and I too would be more than willing and happy to admit that he didn't know about the song's theme and didn't play it to provoke...if and when all the facts are made available.

As I said I'm in a holding pattern waiting for more.

Apparently they haven't been able to arrive at any definite conclusion about all this in the Lang thread over in the PC forum either.

JF

#1605208 - 01/25/11 10:28 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
btcomm Offline

Loc: California
JF ---------

I think the natives are getting restless. It's interesting how you are able to calmly respond to some of the left leaning folks here. The negative atmosphere here I'm sure has to be George Bush's fault.

#1605220 - 01/25/11 10:49 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
What I like about Piano World is the lack of political BS in the forums. Shall we keep it that way?

If someone wishes to wrestle politically on the Web, it's not hard to find a place to do that. It's nice to have a refuge from all that. Much like playing piano gets us away from what divides and takes us to what unites.

#1605223 - 01/25/11 10:55 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
alexb Offline

After reading some of these last few posts, I now stand by what I originally said.

It seems the original post was made under the guise of "clever humor", but really it was an another anti-Lang post, anti-China, and posted to provoke some sort of anti-Lang Lang and/or political response. I don't for one second believe the OP is interested in learning about Lang Lang or China, he made many incorrect assumptions along the way (which is why I correctly used the word "ignorant" initially), and manged to insult with or w/o intent - I don't know, but it's besides the point.

I'm no longer interested in getting into further exchanges with clever word-play. I don't think anything said by the OP is sincere to be quite honest, and so it's a waste of time. If the OP wants to present facts and is sincere, fine. He can read Lang's book, etc. Google China and firewalls, etc. But I don't find that to be the case. As such, I think this thread should be closed. It's way off topic and disingenuous.

Alex

#1605224 - 01/25/11 10:57 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
I've received several reports on this thread. I'm trying hard to keep it open. As I said in the similar ongoing thread in PC, I do think an artists choice of repertoire to make a political statement is a relevant topic for discussion on this forum but rants about China, etc., are not nor is this a place to argue the merits of Fox news reporting.

Let's keep the discussion centered on piano related matters please.

#1605232 - 01/25/11 11:08 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
Ken Knapp Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
It's been shown time and time again that the discussion of politics on the forums leads to nothing but trouble. All it serves to do is cause hard feelings.

Conversation about a performer should be less about his/her political viewpoints and more about his/her skills, performances, etc.

Piano Organ Depot
http://www.pianoorgandepot.com
Hammond Organ Technician
http://www.tonewheeltech.com
Vice President - MITA, International
http://www.mitatechs.org
http://www.facebook.com/MITATechs

#1605240 - 01/25/11 11:16 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
alexb -

I agree.

Greg - you've got a hard job :\

Cathy

#1605269 - 01/25/11 11:59 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales
@alexb, @jotur - I also agree.

#1605305 - 01/25/11 01:01 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
moscheles001 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northeast Pennsylvania
I've stopped posting on PW because of the political baiting (in which, I'm ashamed to say, I have allowed myself become ensnared on a few occasions).

I'm afraid this place just isn't what it used to be, at least for me.

#1605373 - 01/25/11 02:34 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: btcomm
JF ---------
I think the natives are getting restless. It's interesting how you are able to calmly respond to some of the left leaning folks here...

Thanks for the moral support btcomm - I've been trying my best, but it hasn't been easy - but, there are left leaning folks here? confused

What I like about Piano World is the lack of political BS in the forums. Shall we keep it that way?

I'm trying my best Gary..but cooperation is a little hard to come by...

Originally Posted By: alexb
....I don't think anything said by the OP is sincere to be quite honest, and so it's a waste of time. Alex

Most people give other people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to being sincere - apparently you have some special power that allows you to see otherwise...this is uncomfortably close to character assasination - but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that.

Originally Posted By: BB Player
...Let's keep the discussion centered on piano related matters please.

Hey Greg! Nice of you to come in.

I've been trying to do just that here - please reread the thread if you need or want a refresher - but the distractions are increasing in number (if not necessarily in reasonableness).

If some of the otherwise nice, but emotionally charged posters here can't find a way to be a little less personal and a little more constructive I may just ask you to close down this thread myself! But maybe not - that would be unjustified (not to mention making them too happy!) laugh

I keep thinking of what Lang said himself about his biggest fans, which is that they're great, but some of them don't have much of a sense of humor.

Well, I think he said that, but if he didn't he should have! smile

JF

#1605382 - 01/25/11 02:44 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
bluekeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes John, it's everyone else's fault. You've been a perfect gentleman.

#1605432 - 01/25/11 03:52 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
It seems to be my day for closing threads that are ostensibly about Lang Lang's performance at the White House.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
country style piano
by seniormoment
12/21/14 12:42 PM
Forum Stats
77383 Members
42 Forums
160041 Topics
2350202 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission