Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1601335 - 01/20/11 08:18 AM Lang Lang on Fox and Friends
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
The famous (I know he's famous because he said so) Chinese concert pianist Lang Lang (pronounced something like Lwong Lwong by the interviewer) was interviewed on The Fox News Channel's morning program "Fox and Friends" this morning - usually a very watchable program, but not always.

He was interviewed because (1) he usually plays without too many obvious mistakes, most of which are hidden by his physical gymnastics at the keyboard and by his facial distortions driven by deep-seated mysterious emotions; (2) he's world famous (or at least fairly well known by visitors to the Pianist's Corner Forum at Piano World;) and (3) he was performing during the State Dinner honoring the visit of Chinese Dictator President Hu Jintao (sp.?) at the White House this week.

During the interview he was described as a prodigy (he's currently 28 years old laugh ), asked if he considers himself the "Justin Beiber of Beethoven" (who the hell is this Beiber dude I keep hearing about?), whether or not he was going to put a tip jar on his piano during his State Dinner performance (he said he never tried that before, but that it could be lucrative smile ), and what he thought he might be doing if he wasn't a (self-described) world-famous concert pianist, which drew a blank stare and a few mumbled, incoherent words from Lang (to use his first name, if I may) as if he had never, ever thought about it and had no idea there was anything else to do in life. He did play a little during the interview - I think it was something by a hot pop star - maybe this Lady Gaga person, or that Beiber guy, if that's what he is/does.

So much for high-level, penetrating, classy interviews pandering to "inquiring minds that want to know" and so much for respect for rare, superhuman talent. But Lang (to repectfully refer to him by his last name) is a great role model for all of us Adult Beginners who gyrate and emote as much as him and who have hopes and aspirations of some day playing on and being interviewed by somebody's morning show - even if it's only the morning announments program at the local elementary school. thumb

Hope you had your DVR programmed if you couldn't be there.

JF

BTW - the Chinese President's first name Hu is pronounced "who", but please, no jokes about "Who (Hu) is President of China?"

Edited by John Frank (01/20/11 08:25 AM)

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1601350 - 01/20/11 09:03 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
I'll be Bach Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I find it so odd that this person is such a source of negativity here. It is as if this place has a Lang Lang talisman hanging around its neck and refuses to take it off because they like the way it chafes their skin.

#1601366 - 01/20/11 10:02 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: I'll be Bach]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: I'll be Bach
I find it so odd that this person is such a source of negativity here.

Not so - Mr. Lang is more like a positve source of inspiration for pianistic endeavors (and creative media analysis). Or did you mean John Frank? smirk

It is as if this place has a Lang Lang talisman hanging around its neck and refuses to take it off because they like the way it chafes their skin.

Any idea where one can acquire one of those? laugh

Honestly, the only objection to Lang that I have is that he's allowed himself to become just a tad "plus-sized" (I'm guily of this too - the only thing we have in common when we sit down at the piano) and his hair always seems to be unruly, if not in an actual dishevelled state - but then yours would be too if you often played standing on your head smile

JF

#1601383 - 01/20/11 10:52 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: I'll be Bach]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
I find it so odd that this person is such a source of negativity here. It is as if this place has a Lang Lang talisman hanging around its neck and refuses to take it off because they like the way it chafes their skin.

He upsets the serious pianists here with his overboard theatrics. They wish he could be more dignified like their hero Glenn Gould.

#1601449 - 01/20/11 12:35 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
Dr. Zoidberg Offline

Loc: United States
Hi,

Been reading the adult beginner forum for awhile, first time I've felt compelled to reply to something.

This is a pretty sad pathetic post, full of bitterness and jealousy and tinged with racism and political opinion. Spending the time to write this degrades you, John Frank.

Lang Lang IS world-famous; that isn't a self-description, it is simply a fact. He might not be the single best pianist in the world but he's definitely in the top .0001%.

He might not be everyone's cup of tea but check out his recording of the 3rd Mvt. for Mendellsohn's first Piano Concerto; he instills it with a fun sense of playfulness many other recordings of it lack. Or the Rondo from Beethoven's 1st Piano Concerto; Lang brings a certain sense of whimsy to a lot of his repertoire and I enjoy the energy.

This forum is about love for piano. No one wants to hear about political opinions and no one wants to read bitter, jealous rants on famous pianists.

#1601456 - 01/20/11 12:46 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
AlphaTerminus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Iowa, USA
First of all, Fox and Friends is the single most unintellectual, biased, mind-numbingly obnoxious show ever to exist on television.

Second. Lang Lang and Liberace weren't the most skilled pianists of their time, but they were showmen who the audience loved. Good for them and may there be more of them.

#1601462 - 01/20/11 01:05 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: Dr. Zoidberg]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dr. Zoidberg
Hi,

Been reading the adult beginner forum for awhile, first time I've felt compelled to reply to something.

This is a pretty sad pathetic post, full of bitterness and jealousy and tinged with racism and political opinion. Spending the time to write this degrades you, John Frank.

Sad and pathetic post? I thought it was enlightening, informative and amusing - if not necessarily delightfully entertaning - now, one of us is way off, and since I wrote it I'm the authority on it's proper interpretation - so there!

Full of bitterness and jealousy? No way! However, it is loaded with lots of satire and humor of a nonsensical sort - or at least that was my intention. I understand that one of Lang's chief complaints about some of his more ardent fans is that they just don't have a sense of humor... laugh

Racism? What racism? There's no freakin' racism. Damn, I never thought of that. But, I'll try to include some in my next post about Lang - just to give you some actual real evidence smirk

Poliical opinion? What political opinion. You mean about Hu? Who cares about Hu? I was primarily trying to point out how simple-minded the interview was - and threw in a few jabs at Lang just for the fun of it (and to shamelessly curry favor with all of his many detractors over at the Pianist's Corner).

JF

#1601467 - 01/20/11 01:12 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: AlphaTerminus]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AlphaTerminus
Second. Lang Lang and Liberace weren't the most skilled pianists of their time, but they were showmen who the audience loved. Good for them and may there be more of them.

I fully agree - but Liberace was and still is the king when it comes to showmanship (he was classically trained as a pianist also) - Lang is a mere piker by comparison and still has much to learn about showmanship.

JF

#1601472 - 01/20/11 01:16 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
nipo Offline

Originally Posted By: John Frank
The famous (I know he's famous because he said so) Chinese concert pianist Lang Lang (pronounced something like Lwong Lwong by the interviewer)

incoherent words from Lang (to use his first name, if I may)

But Lang (to repectfully refer to him by his last name)

It's unfortunate that most people who say Láng Lǎng's name mispronounce it. Spelled or said correctly his surname and given name don't sound or look the same. I guess that is the problem expecting people who speak non-tonal languages to how important tones are: piano players surely won't make that mistake knowing how important a wrong tone can be.

#1601484 - 01/20/11 01:39 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: Dr. Zoidberg]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
There are more than 20 million young aspiring classical pianists in China. Lang Lang probably is the single most important driving force behind this thirst for western classical piano in the post Chinese cultural revolution era. I dare say you would not find 20 million young aspiring guitarists, or cellists, or anything else. It seem to me that not only is he famous but he is an ambassador of western classical music for the Chinese people. In China, they have Lang Lang as their superstar. In the USA, we have Lady Ga-ga for our youth. I even heard my niece say Lady Ga-ga is such a super pianist! Unless Lang Lang decides to perform in a meat suit, I'd say his eccentricities are fine by me.

#1601491 - 01/20/11 01:49 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
alexb Offline

Loc: USA
What an ignorant, silly, and insulting rant under the guise of "humor". I don't expect much though from FOX "News" viewers however. As ignorant and insulting as the channel itself. I know who Lang Lang is in the piano world. John Frank is a nobody...This post should be removed by moderators..

#1601498 - 01/20/11 02:03 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

(3) he was performing during the State Dinner honoring the visit of Chinese Dictator President Hu Jintao (sp.?) at the White House this week.

I think this counts as political opinion. Since you claim you are not mean spirited, I'd take you at your word. I would caution that while there is a tradition of making fun of political leaders in the US, there is no such tradition in much of the rest of the world, and as this is an Internet forum, it is read by the whole world and others may misunderstand your comments. Remember in the Internet era, what you post, you post to the world internationally.

#1601524 - 01/20/11 02:47 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: 4evrBeginR]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Originally Posted By: 4evr88
(3) he was performing during the State Dinner honoring the visit of Chinese Dictator President Hu Jintao (sp.?) at the White House this week.

I think this counts as political opinion. Since you claim you are not mean spirited, I'd take you at your word. I would caution that while there is a tradition of making fun of political leaders in the US, there is no such tradition in much of the rest of the world, and as this is an Internet forum, it is read by the whole world and others may misunderstand your comments. Remember in the Internet era, what you post, you post to the world internationally.

You make a good point. While, I had no problem deciphering the tongue in cheek humor of JF's post, there are others that may/would take this more personal. We should always be aware that this is a global forum.

#1601574 - 01/20/11 04:03 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: 4evrBeginR]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

There are more than 20 million young aspiring classical pianists in China. Lang Lang probably is the single most important driving force behind this thirst for western classical piano in the post Chinese cultural revolution era. I dare say you would not find 20 million young aspiring guitarists, or cellists, or anything else. It seem to me that not only is he famous but he is an ambassador of western classical music for the Chinese people. In China, they have Lang Lang as their superstar. In the USA, we have Lady Ga-ga for our youth. I even heard my niece say Lady Ga-ga is such a super pianist! Unless Lang Lang decides to perform in a meat suit, I'd say his eccentricities are fine by me.

All very nicely and wisely said - I agree totally.

JF

#1601582 - 01/20/11 04:12 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: alexb]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: alexb
What an ignorant, silly, and insulting rant under the guise of "humor".

Ignorant? Not really. Actually, it was fairly well-informed. Silly? Sure - that was the intent. Glad you got that part. Insulting? Hardly - I think even Lang himself would be mildly amused smile

I know who Lang Lang is in the piano world. John Frank is a nobody...This post should be removed by moderators..

Compared to Lang - or more than likely alexb - you're correct.
But why do you want the moderator to remove your post?
Did you mean to have him remove the thread?

JF

#1601586 - 01/20/11 04:18 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
noahandgabrielsdad Offline

Loc: Sandbach, Cheshire, England
And I thought playing the piano was meant to be fun.
Chill pill every body and just play.
There will always be someone better and someone not as good as you.
Remember................
Half the world is starving!!!!!!!!!
I am still waiting for Simon Cowell to discover me.
WHO???????????

#1601589 - 01/20/11 04:23 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: Strings & Wood]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Strings & Wood
... While, I had no problem deciphering the tongue in cheek humor of JF's post, there are others that may/would take this more personal...

That's what I said above in one of my posts when I mentioned Lang complaining about some of his more ardent fans who have no sense of humor... laugh

JF

#1601602 - 01/20/11 04:51 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
Tubbie0075 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Lang Lang is not on my favorite pianists list, but I have a lot of respect for his achievements. I haven't earn it to criticise him as a pianist in any way until I reach his level of pianistic skills, which is never.

#1601634 - 01/20/11 05:37 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: 4evrBeginR]
EmptySpace Online   content

Loc: Ohio
4evr88: Thank you for your intelligible, well reasoned and concise post.

JF: I'm not even smart enough to figure out who you are disparaging in your post. Is it Lang Lang? Fox and Friends? Communists? Dictators? Lydon Johnson? I just can't tell!

I find many of your posts informative and interesting; this one seems like flame bait.

#1601636 - 01/20/11 05:41 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
alexb Offline

What an ignorant, silly, and insulting rant under the guise of "humor".

Ignorant? Not really. Actually, it was fairly well-informed. Silly? Sure - that was the intent. Glad you got that part. Insulting? Hardly - I think even Lang himself would be mildly amused smile

Yeah, really. One can know some things but still come across as ignorant (and insulting). I doubt anyone is amused. I have a pretty good sense of humor, but that was about as funny as FOX is "fair and balanced"..The whole thing was just in poor taste. Seems like most who replied agree..What does this post have to do with this forum? Wrong place mate! Hence the replies.

#1601658 - 01/20/11 06:12 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: EmptySpace]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: EmptySpace
JF: I'm not even smart enough to figure out who you are disparaging in your post. Is it Lang Lang? Fox and Friends? Communists? Dictators? Lydon Johnson? I just can't tell!

It was Johnson, of course - see, you are smart enough to figure it out, especially since I never mentioned him by name laugh

Either him or the interviewer of Lang on the program, who tried so hard to be clever and urbane, but simply ended up being simple-minded and assinine when he had a chance to probe into the thoughts of such an incredible talent. I gave a clue when I said the following in my OP:

...So much for high-level, penetrating, classy interviews pandering to "inquiring minds that want to know" and so much for respect for rare, superhuman talent.

The rest was just an exercise in creative whimsy. But, flame bait? Sometimes it only takes a tiny spark...

Where is the civility in our public discourse anyway?

JF

#1601715 - 01/20/11 08:00 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
EmptySpace Online   content

Loc: Ohio
JF:

You're right; 'flame bait' is a little strong. How about 'provocative'?

In any case, I stand by my statement that your posts are generally interesting and informative. And I hope that we can agree to disagree without being disagreeable. (I'll try harder in the future!)

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go google 'Lydon' Johnson. Never heard of him before.

#1601959 - 01/21/11 04:01 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: alexb]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

One can know some things but still come across as ignorant (and insulting)...

I don't mind too much "coming across" as insulting (although I'd mostly rather not) - but I try very hard not to be ignorant. Ignorant is just so off the hook and out of bounds.

What does this post have to do with this forum? Wrong place mate! Hence the replies.

Again, I think the word you're looking for is thread or topic and not post. But I do like the way you phrased that last line: " Wrong place mate. Hence the replies." That was pithy and succinct even if egregiously erroneous. While topics such as this are often classified as OT (Off Topic) I understand that this is a piano forum and I further understand that Lang sometimes does play the piano...

JF

#1601964 - 01/21/11 04:11 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: EmptySpace]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: EmptySpace
JF:

In any case, I stand by my statement that your posts are generally interesting and informative. And I hope that we can agree to disagree without being disagreeable.

Oh, but I do agree - my posts are "generally interesting and informative"! laugh Which is much to the chagrin of some here who inexplicabally find them the posts they love to hate...or is it hate to love...

But I knew who you meant: that good old boy LBJ - the puller of dog ears. crazy

JF

#1601969 - 01/21/11 04:21 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: 4evrBeginR]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

There are more than 20 million young aspiring classical pianists in China.

Could that number be anywhere remotely close to correct? That seems inconcievable. 20 million!

What an incredible shot in the arm that must be for the piano manufacturers there - not to mention the teaching "industry".

But where will they all find recording contracts and concert halls in which to perform?

JF

#1601979 - 01/21/11 04:36 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
hoffy Offline

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
I gotta admit, you lost me when you said "Fox...". Anyhow, things for bringing this man to my attention (I have to admit I have never heard of him. Unfortunately, I have heard of Lady Gaga).

Anyhow, I have a date with google and the phrase "Lang Lang Piano"

#1602044 - 01/21/11 07:46 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
I'll be Bach Offline

Originally Posted By: Dr. Zoidberg
Hi,

Sad and pathetic post? I thought it was enlightening, informative and amusing - if not necessarily delightfully entertaning - now, one of us is way off, and since I wrote it I'm the authority on it's proper interpretation - so there!

Full of bitterness and jealousy? No way! However, it is loaded with lots of satire and humor of a nonsensical sort - or at least that was my intention.

JF

I can only object to the following words...amusing, informative, enlightening and satirical.

I know those words, those words are friends of mine and your post in no way embodied those words.

Only if by amusing, you meant it to amuse yourself, and informative only to let us know that such a show existed on Fox, and only enlightening if we didn't already know such a show existed on Fox and only satirical if we had never heard of Jonathon Swift.

Now I understand that critics are like ........ and everyone has one. But in this case I think that your post was less clever by more than half of what you might have meant it to be.

This reminds of of a quote about Aaron Sorkin's sportsnight..."I finally get Aaron Sorkin's sportsnight, its too good to be funny."

Edited by I'll be Bach (01/21/11 07:48 AM)

#1602051 - 01/21/11 08:02 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
alexb Offline

One can know some things but still come across as ignorant (and insulting)...

I don't mind too much "coming across" as insulting (although I'd mostly rather not) - but I try very hard not to be ignorant. Ignorant is just so off the hook and out of bounds.

Look, I get you were trying to be funny. Obviously it didn't work. Others have pointed this out as well. But no matter what you choose to believe, I still find your post ignorant. You can interpret that any way you want. If you think about the context and the larger picture, perhaps you'll understand what I meant (and mean).

Quote:

What does this post have to do with this forum? Wrong place mate! Hence the replies.

Again, I think the word you're looking for is thread or topic and not post. But I do like the way you phrased that last line: " Wrong place mate. Hence the replies." That was pithy and succinct even if egregiously erroneous. While topics such as this are often classified as OT (Off Topic) I understand that this is a piano forum and I further understand that Lang sometimes does play the piano...

No, no need to be patronizing or pick on words. I understand thread and post, and in this case they are the same since you started the thread - but thanks for the education...In case YOU missed it, this is the "Adult Beginners Forum". Your attempt at humor would have been better served (though I doubt it) in one of the other forums - perhaps the "Pianist Corner". This is what I meant. Is it clear now? Surely there is a reason why there are different forums on pianoworld.com, no? Pick the right one or use OT if you really feel this post belongs here.

And enough with the damage control. Just admit it was silly, and move on.

#1602057 - 01/21/11 08:24 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: I'll be Bach]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Now I understand that critics are like ........ and everyone has one. But in this case I think that your post was less clever by more than half of what you might have meant it to be.

You're wrong, but on the right track. Actually, now that I've reread it, I think the OP was less clever by three-fourths...maybe I'll go back and try to re-cleverize it...and include some badly needed racism, which it was accused of having, but which it didn't...I was remiss...one should always include some racism in satire...it makes it ok smile

This reminds of of a quote about Aaron Sorkin's sportsnight..."I finally get Aaron Sorkin's sportsnight, its too good to be funny."

I'm not certain if that's a compliment or not - maybe it was both, good and funny laugh ,

But I am impressed (and somewhat surprised) that this thread in some strange way reminds one of a quote about Aaron Sorkin's Sportsnight...and speaking of ignorance I'm not even sure who Aaron Sorkin is shocked

JF

#1602064 - 01/21/11 08:37 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: alexb]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

No, no need to be patronizing or pick on words. I understand thread and post, and in this case they are the same since you started the thread...

A post (an individual entry in a thread) is the same as a thread (the entirity of all posts) since I entered the original post in the thread? This is sort of like saying that the initial entry in a diary is the diary...or that the first deposit of money in a bank is the bank...

...And enough with the damage control. Just admit it was silly, and move on.

To control damage there must first be some damage ... haven't come across any yet - but I've already admitted a couple of times that the OP was silly, and I have moved on...onward and upward...want to join me?

JF

#1602070 - 01/21/11 08:48 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: hoffy]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: hoffy
...Anyhow, things (thanks?) for bringing this man to my attention (I have to admit I have never heard of him. Unfortunately, I have heard of Lady Gaga).

Anyhow, I have a date with google and the phrase "Lang Lang Piano"

hoffy - thanks for your thanks - glad I could perform a valuable public service ... for awhile there I was beginning to believe it's true what Einstein said (or was it Donald Trump) about a "genius not being appreciated in his own time..." laugh

JF

#1602265 - 01/21/11 02:09 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
Agilita Offline

Loc: Missouri
John Frank, if you read "Journey of a Thousand Miles", you will understand why he struggled and couldn't answer the question regarding a career other than concert pianist. His father would never have allowed it. He had no other option.

This was an interesting read regarding the "one child" policy in China and the high expectations of the parents. Most American parents would consider it abusive.

#1602281 - 01/21/11 02:28 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: Agilita]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Agilita
John Frank, if you read "Journey of a Thousand Miles", you will understand why he struggled and couldn't answer the question regarding a career other than concert pianist. His father would never have allowed it. He had no other option.

Agilita - somehow I assumed that something like that might have been the case, although I wasn't sure - I was guessing that he probably started lessons almost before he could walk and was compelled and driven to pursue his pianistic studies under intense pressure.

And thanks for the book recommendation - I may eventually get to it - right now I'm reading a fascinating book called "Shakespeare by Another Name", a detailed investigation into why Shakespeare (the author) was not William Shakespeare (the actor), but was instead Edward de Vere, the Count of Oxford, who for various reasons had to write under an assumed name. An incredible revelaton - if true!

JF

#1602532 - 01/21/11 09:32 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

There are more than 20 million young aspiring classical pianists in China.

Could that number be anywhere remotely close to correct? That seems inconcievable. 20 million!

What an incredible shot in the arm that must be for the piano manufacturers there - not to mention the teaching "industry".

But where will they all find recording contracts and concert halls in which to perform?

JF

It's a staggering number, representing 1.5% of the population. Lang Lang mentioned it in one of his interviews, and you can read some other sources like the one below. The piano makers don't benefit as much as you'd think because most families do not have the means to purchase a piano, so their youth practice in school, stores, wherever they can. My kids do not have any idea how easy they have it.

The Land of 20 Million Pianists
"... most provincial cities are building new concert halls, part of China's current construction mania fueled by economic growth. Someone will have to perform in them, and Liu hopes this will lead to a new generation of orchestras. The other key development is the mass production of musicians in China: a staggering 20 million youngsters are said to be learning the piano, 10 million the violin, and the conservatories are bulging. The new multi-story Central Conservatory building in Beijing will house no fewer than five recital halls."

#1602585 - 01/21/11 11:30 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
I've heard the number is closer to 30 million, but what's a few million among friends? With 1.3 *billion* people, any small percentage of the Chinese population is still a whole lot o' people.

#1602644 - 01/22/11 01:58 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: 4evrBeginR]
fallapart Offline

There are more than 20 million young aspiring classical pianists in China. Lang Lang probably is the single most important driving force behind this thirst for western classical piano in the post Chinese cultural revolution era. I dare say you would not find 20 million young aspiring guitarists, or cellists, or anything else.

The 20 million kids practicing piano not because of Lang Lang, but because if you pass certain grade level in piano exam, you get extra credit when applying schools (elementary, middle, every level). And if you win a prize in a competition, you get more credits. And, actually there are a lot of these "anything else," because there's a graded exam for almost all the extracurriculum ever existed.

#1602647 - 01/22/11 02:02 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
fallapart Offline

So much for high-level, penetrating, classy interviews pandering to "inquiring minds that want to know" and so much for respect for rare, superhuman talent. But Lang (to repectfully refer to him by his last name) is a great role model for all of us Adult Beginners who gyrate and emote as much as him and who have hopes and aspirations of some day playing on and being interviewed by somebody's morning show - even if it's only the morning announments program at the local elementary school.

A real penetrating interviewer should ask Lang Lang about his choice of program at the White House dinner. The Chinese song he played is from an old movie about how Chinese army defeated the Americans in the Korean war.

#1602651 - 01/22/11 02:12 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
fallapart Offline

And thanks for the book recommendation - I may eventually get to it - right now I'm reading a fascinating book called "Shakespeare by Another Name", a detailed investigation into why Shakespeare (the author) was not William Shakespeare (the actor), but was instead Edward de Vere, the Count of Oxford, who for various reasons had to write under an assumed name. An incredible revelaton - if true!

JF

I just finished a book called "Shakespeare's Lost Kingdom" and it seems that it talkes about exactly the same thing. The author, Charles Beauclerk, Earl of Burford, is a descendent of this Edward de Vere.

#1602681 - 01/22/11 03:02 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: fallapart]
jfd Offline

Originally Posted By: fallapart
A real penetrating interviewer should ask Lang Lang about his choice of program at the White House dinner. The Chinese song he played is from an old movie about how Chinese army defeated the Americans in the Korean war.

I am a Chinese. I have to point out that the song is very popular among Chinese people not because of the old movie. I didn't even know it is from the old movie until you mentioned in your post. The song is often used for Chinese people (especially those who don't live in China anymore) to express their love to their motherland. You can also read the Wiki for more information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Motherland

#1602689 - 01/22/11 03:09 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: fallapart]
jfd Offline

Originally Posted By: fallapart

The 20 million kids practicing piano not because of Lang Lang, but because if you pass certain grade level in piano exam, you get extra credit when applying schools (elementary, middle, every level). And if you win a prize in a competition, you get more credits. And, actually there are a lot of these "anything else," because there's a graded exam for almost all the extracurriculum ever existed.

Where did you hear that???? It is so not true!!!! I believe most chinese parents encouraging their children to learn piano or violin is mainly because piano and violin are classic.

#1602746 - 01/22/11 07:13 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: jfd]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jfd
...I am a Chinese.

jfd - do you know how many of those 20 million Chinese pianists have access to the internet in general, and to Piano World in particular? And if so, how free are they to post without censorship or fear of repraisal?

JF

#1602999 - 01/22/11 02:53 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
jfd Offline

...I am a Chinese.

jfd - do you know how many of those 20 million Chinese pianists have access to the internet in general, and to Piano World in particular? And if so, how free are they to post without censorship or fear of repraisal?

JF

I don't know. But what you were saying has to do with my posts? Just because I am a Chinese??!!??

Edited by jfd (01/22/11 02:54 PM)

#1603117 - 01/22/11 05:25 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: jfd]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

...I am a Chinese.

JF

I don't know. But what you were saying has to do with my posts? Just because I am a Chinese??!!??

Well, yes - precisely because you said you were Chinese.

I was thinking that maybe you were originally from there (and perhaps living somewhere else now) and so might have some intimate and detailed and factual knowledge concerning the things I asked about.

Or if you were not born and raised there you might still have some relatives living there now who were keeping you updated periodically on events and situations in China.

Or I was merely trying to make a sly and devious racist statement under the pretext of asking you a seemingly innocent question.

Two of the three possibilities I listed above are true and correct. You'll have to decide which is which smile

JF

#1604030 - 01/23/11 06:10 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: jfd]
EastRock Offline

Loc: Southern New England

I am a Chinese. I have to point out that the song is very popular among Chinese people not because of the old movie. I didn't even know it is from the old movie until you mentioned in your post. The song is often used for Chinese people (especially those who don't live in China anymore) to express their love to their motherland. You can also read the Wiki for more information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Motherland

I am also from China. The song's anti-American overtone is well known in China. Is it possible that Mr. Lang did not know that? Yes. But is that likely? I would say not.

If Mr. Lang knew what the song is about and chose to play it in White House (given what we know about him that would not be surprising) it is truly childish and deplorable.

Mr. Lang is a very talented pianist. His showy and pretentious tendencies are also evident. It is great that he is proud of being Chinese, but there is no need to insult "foreign devils" this way. If he did not know the origin of the song he obviously can use some study.

I do admire Mr. Lang's achievements and wish him great future. After all I would like to see a Chinese pianist to attain greatness comparable to Horowitz and Rubinstein. There is a hope that he will be there.

Edited by EastRock (01/23/11 06:25 PM)

#1604057 - 01/23/11 06:58 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: EastRock]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: EastRock

If Mr. Lang knew what the song is about and chose to play it in White House (given what we know about him that would not be surprising) it is truly childish and deplorable.

I doubt he knew. After all, He's a fantastic pianist and yet he chose to go onto Fox news. How smart is that? grin

#1604083 - 01/23/11 08:00 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
alexb Offline

I don't know if he knew. Or maybe he DID know and thought it was appropriate for FOX smile

The thing is that Lang Lang spent his entire childhood and teenage years practicing piano an insane number of hours, living in poverty with an abusive father, etc. His life was very traumatic (the suicide "suggestion" from his father, the preventing of Lang's mother from visiting, etc.), and these things show up later in life. He knew not much but piano and the word "practice". Many see his over-the-top mannerisms and gestures as fake and showy, but IMHO they are very real. They are the gestures of a man who is using them and his imagination while playing to escape. Still. He talks about this in his book - how he did this when he was a kid, etc. So the guy is very sincere IMHO. I don't see anything fake. Many laugh and point and whatever, but few know or care to understand. He is an incredible piano player who's also had to battle through some incredibly tough moments. And what he's doing is a good thing - promoting classical music to teens. It's actually incredible that he hasn't rebelled even more or given up the piano. It's quite remarkable how he's managed to carry on. If people would take the time to see behind the man, they would see how incredible he really is.

#1604089 - 01/23/11 08:08 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Hi AlexB,
That is an extremely eloquent description of Lang Lang. I have not read his book, but can only imagine what his childhood was like. I don't find the descriptions you offer as "far fetched" and quite honestly, if true, don't begrudge Lang Lang a moment of his fame and fortune. I am a life-long lover of classical music. I know my ear isn't as sophisticated as the life-long player of classical music, and while Lang Lang's versions of some of my favorite pieces aren't my favorite renditions, I certainly wouldn't find it appropriate to thus conclude that he doesn't have talent. Gould's interpretations of certain Bach pieces aren't my favorites either. Seems illogical, however, to say therefore that he doesn't have talent.
Thanks for your senstivity and your beautiful interpretation of Lang Lang's somewhat "odd" behavior. It opened my eyes to a new interpretation.

#1604139 - 01/23/11 09:02 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: Peyton]
EastRock Offline

Loc: Southern New England
Originally Posted By: Peyton

I doubt he knew. After all, He's a fantastic pianist and yet he chose to go onto Fox news. How smart is that? grin

In that regard, he was no less smart than anyone advertising on Fox News. grin

And he did not need to pay.

Edited by EastRock (01/23/11 09:05 PM)

#1604259 - 01/23/11 11:52 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

What is the link between Lang Lang and Fox News???

#1604324 - 01/24/11 02:11 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: alexb]
fallapart Offline

I don't know if he knew. Or maybe he DID know and thought it was appropriate for FOX smile

The thing is that Lang Lang spent his entire childhood and teenage years practicing piano an insane number of hours, living in poverty with an abusive father, etc. His life was very traumatic (the suicide "suggestion" from his father, the preventing of Lang's mother from visiting, etc.), and these things show up later in life. He knew not much but piano and the word "practice". Many see his over-the-top mannerisms and gestures as fake and showy, but IMHO they are very real. They are the gestures of a man who is using them and his imagination while playing to escape. Still. He talks about this in his book - how he did this when he was a kid, etc. So the guy is very sincere IMHO. I don't see anything fake. Many laugh and point and whatever, but few know or care to understand. He is an incredible piano player who's also had to battle through some incredibly tough moments. And what he's doing is a good thing - promoting classical music to teens. It's actually incredible that he hasn't rebelled even more or given up the piano. It's quite remarkable how he's managed to carry on. If people would take the time to see behind the man, they would see how incredible he really is.

I share the same opinion about his mannerism with you after reading his book. He mentioned that as a kid, when he practiced piano, he saw Tom and Jerry running around, and that's how he made all those long hours fun. There's a photo in the book showing a very young Lang Lang playing on stage, and he already had that signature facial expression. It couldn't be fake.

#1604428 - 01/24/11 08:53 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales
@alexb - very interesting - I will have to get his book smile

#1604429 - 01/24/11 08:56 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AlphaTerminus
First of all, Fox and Friends is the single most unintellectual, biased, mind-numbingly obnoxious show ever to exist on television.

I don't expect much though from FOX "News" viewers however.

Originally Posted By: hoffy
I gotta admit, you lost me when you said "Fox

[I doubt he knew. After all, He's a fantastic pianist and yet he chose to go onto Fox news. How smart is that? grin

In that regard, he was no less smart than anyone advertising on Fox News. grin
And he did not need to pay.

Hey! What's up here? How dare all of you people turn my sad and pathetic, but vicious and racist rant about Lang Lang into a sad and pathetic, but vicious and racist (I'll figure this out later) rant about FOX News? mad Is this the epitome of presumptuousness, or what?

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
What is the link between Lang Lang and Fox News???

That's an easy one - they are both the best in their respective fields - and they can both be equally criticised and condemned without rational justification.

JF

#1604440 - 01/24/11 09:20 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: LaValse]
alexb Offline

Originally Posted By: LaValse
@alexb - very interesting - I will have to get his book smile

Yeah, it's definitely a very interesting read. And I think many of the things that Lang Lang went through, many other Chinese kids went (and are going) through. So it's interesting to see things from that point of view. Then one can understand a whole lot more. Regarding Lang Langs playing, he's not my favorite pianist, but clearly he's extremely talented (we ARE talking about the very top here so things are very subjective, but for one to say he lacks talent is silly) to say the least. And most of all, I think he's very genuine.

Edited by alexb (01/24/11 09:21 AM)

#1604464 - 01/24/11 09:57 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

...do you know how many of those 20 million Chinese pianists have access to the internet in general, and to Piano World in particular? And if so, how free are they to post without censorship or fear of repraisal?

JF

East Rock - since you also say that you are from China can you answer the above question that I had previously posted here?

JF

#1604502 - 01/24/11 11:09 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
nipo Offline

...do you know how many of those 20 million Chinese pianists have access to the internet in general, and to Piano World in particular? And if so, how free are they to post without censorship or fear of repraisal?

JF

East Rock - since you also say that you are from China can you answer the above question that I had previously posted here?

JF

I only lived in China for a few years but the number of internet users there outnumbers the population of the United States. People who are paying for their child to take piano lessons certainly have internet connections in their home and likely on their cellphones too.
Pianoworld wasn't blocked when I was in Beijing and I doubt it is now either. None of the topics or discussion here touch upon areas Chinese posters would worry about censorship or reprisals.

#1604503 - 01/24/11 11:12 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: EastRock]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I am also from China. The song's anti-American overtone is well known in China. Is it possible that Mr. Lang did not know that? Yes. But is that likely? I would say not.

I would not be surprised one way or the other. When Ronald Reagan was running for re-election in 1984 they were playing Brice Springsteen's song Born in the USA at the rallies to get the crowd worked up. They must've never listened to the lyrics which were a searing indictment of Ronald Reagan and everything he stood for.

#1604600 - 01/24/11 01:10 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: Plowboy]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Gary Schenk
... When Ronald Reagan was running for re-election in 1984 they were playing Brice Springsteen's song Born in the USA at the rallies to get the crowd worked up. They must've never listened to the lyrics which were a searing indictment of Ronald Reagan and everything he stood for.

Well, old Bruce is an outstanding songwriter, guitarist, singer and entertainer - in fact, he is everyman's rock n' roller - but he was never widely acclaimed for the depth and breadth of his expertise in American History, the priciples of a Free Market Economy, or Political Philosophy. smile

JF

#1604637 - 01/24/11 01:46 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
interesting thread. I'm studying overseas in China this summer. If I don't post on piano world for the entire summer then we'll know it's censored or blocked.. smile I hope not though!

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528

#1604675 - 01/24/11 02:39 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: EastRock]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Mr. Lang is a very talented pianist. His showy and pretentious tendencies are also evident. It is great that he is proud of being Chinese, but there is no need to insult "foreign devils" this way. If he did not know the origin of the song he obviously can use some study.

Apparently, Mr. Lang knew very well what the song was all about and chose to play it precisely because of it's meaning.

While watching FOX news just a few minutes ago they came on with a report about Lang and his performance at the White House - it's seems he is admitting that the song is indeed an anti-American propoganda song, and that he knew it and deliberately played it to make a statement that "China is a country to be reconded with".

I agree with your assessment of Lang about this...

JF

#1604708 - 01/24/11 03:30 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
ladypayne Offline

I think he just helped the relationship and public opinion of China get a little worse. Not that it needed any help lol..

#1604712 - 01/24/11 03:36 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

... When Ronald Reagan was running for re-election in 1984 they were playing Brice Springsteen's song Born in the USA at the rallies to get the crowd worked up. They must've never listened to the lyrics which were a searing indictment of Ronald Reagan and everything he stood for.

Well, old Bruce is an outstanding songwriter, guitarist, singer and entertainer - in fact, he is everyman's rock n' roller - but he was never widely acclaimed for the depth and breadth of his expertise in American History, the priciples of a Free Market Economy, or Political Philosophy. smile

Not that it matters, but I think the song was spot on. Still, you have to wonder what Reagan's advisers were thinking?

Edited by Gary Schenk (01/24/11 03:36 PM)

#1604778 - 01/24/11 05:17 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Apparently, Mr. Lang knew very well what the song was all about and chose to play it precisely because of it's meaning.

While watching FOX news just a few minutes ago they came on with a report about Lang and his performance at the White House - it's seems he is admitting that the song is indeed an anti-American propoganda song, and that he knew it and deliberately played it to make a statement that "China is a country to be reconded with".

I agree with your assessment of Lang about this...

JF

That's what Fox is saying? That's really odd. I just heard Lang Lang interviewed on PBS about two hours ago and he swears he never knew what the song was about. He said he wanted nothing to do with politics, that he is just a pianist. He sounded very sincere.

Edited by Peyton (01/24/11 05:35 PM)

#1604781 - 01/24/11 05:29 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: Peyton]
Agilita Offline

Loc: Missouri
Posted on his Facebook page a little after 2 p.m. today:

I was deeply honored to have been invited to perform at the White House recently. The two pieces I played were, one, Maurice Ravel's "Ma mere l'Oye" (Mother Goose) for four hands, the other, a Chinese piece called "My Motherland". I selected this song because it has been a favorite of mine since I was a child. It was selected for no other reason but for the beauty of its melody.

I am, first and foremost, an artist. As such, I play music to bring people together.

America and China are my two homes. I am most grateful to the United States for providing me with such wonderful opportunities, both in my musical studies and for furthering my career. I couldn't be who I am today without those two countries.

My mission is to bridge cultures together through the beauty and inspiration of music.

Lang Lang

#1604789 - 01/24/11 05:56 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
alexb Offline

If he said so on PBS and his site, then I believe him. If you read his book you will see that (as I said before) he's very genuine and a bit child-like naive in certain matters. All I saw from FOX was the below:

http://nation.foxnews.com/china-state-dinner/2011/01/23/did-pianist-lang-lang-dis-white-house

That's just stating what's been said about the song, and not that Lang Lang did it on purpose knowing or to provoke. Only FOX News provokes...

#1604792 - 01/24/11 05:59 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: Plowboy]
alexb Offline

Not that it matters, but I think the song was spot on. Still, you have to wonder what Reagan's advisers were thinking?

I agree with you, but they were surely aware. What they were thinking (and they were of course correct) was that people wouldn't pay attention to the lyrics - just BORN IN THE USA - WOO HOO!

#1604846 - 01/24/11 07:17 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
thumb AlexB

#1604850 - 01/24/11 07:23 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
ladypayne Offline

the media always try to fabricate news so it sells and they get better ratings. Sometimes you just never know what really is and what isnt. smile this might be one of those cases but either way, im sure lang lang loves the piano just the same.

#1604885 - 01/24/11 08:07 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Peyton and Agilita - the report I saw was on Megan Kelly's show "America Live" around 2:30 pm and I'm fairly sure that he was reported to have made his statements that they reported while still in China before he came to the US to play at the White House - I think that's what they said - if so, he could be saying one thing there (to please the bureaucrats or under pressure from them) and just the opposite here for our public consumption - right now I can't find anything more on it.

On stand by about this...

JF

#1604896 - 01/24/11 08:18 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: alexb]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

... What they were thinking (and they were of course correct) was that people wouldn't pay attention to the lyrics - just BORN IN THE USA - WOO HOO!

You are definitely correct about this, but not in the way you would like to think - the song was basically about a man's bad experience in the Viet Nam War under Democrats Kennedy and our old buddy Johnson as Presidents - by Reagan's time the song was old hat and stale and irrelavent and so the lyrics weren't worth paying attention to much anymore - the only part that was still applicable and viable was the anthem like title - which could have been used by any party for any thing, but was wisely picked up by Reagan supporters and changed to mean something positive, much to the lasting chagrin of his opponents.

Most of us who were born in the USA are proud of it and will be more than glad to sing that anthem thumb

JF

Edited by John Frank (01/24/11 08:20 PM)

#1604902 - 01/24/11 08:23 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Peyton and Agilita - the report I saw was on Megan Kelly's show "America Live" around 2:30 pm and I'm fairly sure that he was reported to have made his statements that they reported while still in China before he came to the US to play at the White House - I think that's what they said - if so, he could be saying one thing there (to please the bureaucrats or under pressure from them) and just the opposite here for our public consumption - right now I can't find anything more on it.

JF

Or...gosh...they could be making it up! smile

#1604928 - 01/24/11 09:11 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
bluekeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
the song was basically about a man's bad experience in the Viet Nam War under Democrats Kennedy and our old buddy Johnson as Presidents

John,
We are all well aware of your partisan position. There is no point in reminding us of it every chance you can. The fact is Richard Nixon was also President during much of Vietnam, and there's nothing in the lyrics that indicates which part of the war Springstein was singing about. I really wish the mods would close this thread, and any others you use to push your politics. They are not appropriate on this forum.

#1604933 - 01/24/11 09:24 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: bluekeys]
hoffy Offline

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Originally Posted By: bluekeys
Quote:
the song was basically about a man's bad experience in the Viet Nam War under Democrats Kennedy and our old buddy Johnson as Presidents

John,
We are all well aware of your partisan position. There is no point in reminding us of it every chance you can. The fact is Richard Nixon was also President during much of Vietnam, and there's nothing in the lyrics that indicates which part of the war Springstein was singing about. I really wish the mods would close this thread, and any others you use to push your politics. They are not appropriate on this forum.
+1

#1605110 - 01/25/11 06:16 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: bluekeys]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

John,
We are all well aware of your partisan position. There is no point in reminding us of it every chance you can.

Not really every chance I can get - there have been a lot of "chances" in this thread that I've ignored - when I have responded it was only to clear up partisan misconceptions inserted into the thread by others...although they haven't expressed any gratitude for my doing so, I'm almost certain that they really appreciate my doing so smile

I really wish the mods would close this thread, and any others you use to push your politics. They are not appropriate on this forum.

bluekeys - I almost always enjoy your posts, but...

My intention here was to discuss the Lang interview - not "push my politics" - other posters here have turned this thread into an unjustified and irrelavent attack on FOX News and brought politics into it - I've tried my best to avoid all that (as any sensible mod could easily see) - but some of those attacks are just too rediculous to pass up and not shoot down - it was just too tempting and too easy! But even so, I've been very polite and considerate in all my responses (as any reading back through the thread will readily demostate).

You wish the mods would close this thread down? That's not nice or helpful or congenial - in fact, it's almost dictatorial. They probably will - eventually - but not because of anything I've posted here...

I am slightly curious why you object to my few so-called "political" responses when you express no objection to the many others posted here...it seems you have no problem if you agree with those views, but as soon as you disagree you call for a "close down" of the thread. Some - but not me - would call this almost being hypocritical, which would certainly be unfair and unkind since I'm sure you didn't intend to give that impression.

All I've tried to do was stick to talk about Lang...it's a tough job here, but someone has just got to do it.

JF

Edited by John Frank (01/25/11 07:04 AM)

#1605112 - 01/25/11 06:22 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: Peyton]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

JF

Or...gosh...they could be making it up! smile

Peyton, you rascal! Somehow I knew you were going to say that laugh Well, yes, they could - there's always that small chance, although it very doubtful - in this day and age News organization generally don't "make things up" - it's too easy to call them on it with all the various media available to check on things like this - that may just be wishful thinking on your part smile More likely is the possibility that Lang was just trying to do a CYA in his interview with PBS and on facebook. And there is also the possibilty that the remarks attributed to Lang when he was still in China might have been made on his behalf by others...

JF

Edited by John Frank (01/25/11 06:50 AM)

#1605139 - 01/25/11 08:06 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
bluekeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think you need to do some self examination, John. You are by far the most politically outspoken person on this forum. There are only one or two others whose partisan affiliation I can even guess. There are lots of places you can go to talk about politics, either in love-fests with the like-minded or shouting matches with your opponents. This isn't one of them.

Just because there is a tangential connection with piano doesn't make every topic appropriate. It's hard to believe you honestly thought a thread based on a Fox News story wasn't going to descend into partisan sniping.

In any case, I'll let you have the last word, and let the mods decide whether this kind of thread is appropriate. I for one come to PW to discuss playing the piano and have no further interest in pursuing this.

Edited by bluekeys (01/25/11 08:48 AM)

#1605144 - 01/25/11 08:10 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Frank,

My problem with your quote "While watching FOX news just a few minutes ago they came on with a report about Lang and his performance at the White House - it's seems he is admitting that the song is indeed an anti-American propoganda song, and that he knew it and deliberately played it to make a statement that "China is a country to be reconded with" is that it takes here-say and makes it fact...a done deal....the way it went down. That statement totally ignores the actual things he is saying and would lead one, that say only watches Fox news, to believe he is actually admitting to the terrible deed. (Note you say "he is admitting".) Quite frankly I owe no allegiance to Lang Lang (your statement to me "that may just be wishful thinking on your part" implies I do) and would be quite willing to accept the "fact" that he played the piece intentionaly to poke a stick into Americas eye, (I would be sorry to hear it as he seems to be a very sincere, heartfelt musician) but the facts thus far say the opposite.

Edited by Peyton (01/25/11 10:02 AM)

#1605196 - 01/25/11 10:00 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: bluekeys]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

...It's hard to believe you honestly thought a thread based on a Fox News story wasn't going to descend into partisan sniping.

I was - as they say - hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

I didn't praise FOX News - in any way or form. I simply reported that the interview took place on it. Others (as I listed in my post somewhere above) chose to inject media/political criticism here in this thread - for which I'm not responsible in any way.

But, thanks for your polite and reasonable reply. Looking forward to corresponding with you in other threads/other times.

JF

#1605203 - 01/25/11 10:13 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: Peyton]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Frank,

... Quite frankly I owe no allegiance to Lang Lang (your statement to me "that may just be wishful thinking on your part" implies I do) and would be quite willing to accept the "fact" that he played the piece intentionaly to poke a stick into Americas eye... but the facts thus far say the opposite.

Peyton - I was only kidding about your "wishful thinking" - and I too would be more than willing and happy to admit that he didn't know about the song's theme and didn't play it to provoke...if and when all the facts are made available.

As I said I'm in a holding pattern waiting for more.

Apparently they haven't been able to arrive at any definite conclusion about all this in the Lang thread over in the PC forum either.

JF

#1605208 - 01/25/11 10:28 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
btcomm Offline

JF ---------

I think the natives are getting restless. It's interesting how you are able to calmly respond to some of the left leaning folks here. The negative atmosphere here I'm sure has to be George Bush's fault.

#1605220 - 01/25/11 10:49 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

What I like about Piano World is the lack of political BS in the forums. Shall we keep it that way?

If someone wishes to wrestle politically on the Web, it's not hard to find a place to do that. It's nice to have a refuge from all that. Much like playing piano gets us away from what divides and takes us to what unites.

#1605223 - 01/25/11 10:55 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
alexb Offline

After reading some of these last few posts, I now stand by what I originally said.

It seems the original post was made under the guise of "clever humor", but really it was an another anti-Lang post, anti-China, and posted to provoke some sort of anti-Lang Lang and/or political response. I don't for one second believe the OP is interested in learning about Lang Lang or China, he made many incorrect assumptions along the way (which is why I correctly used the word "ignorant" initially), and manged to insult with or w/o intent - I don't know, but it's besides the point.

I'm no longer interested in getting into further exchanges with clever word-play. I don't think anything said by the OP is sincere to be quite honest, and so it's a waste of time. If the OP wants to present facts and is sincere, fine. He can read Lang's book, etc. Google China and firewalls, etc. But I don't find that to be the case. As such, I think this thread should be closed. It's way off topic and disingenuous.

Alex

#1605224 - 01/25/11 10:57 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
I've received several reports on this thread. I'm trying hard to keep it open. As I said in the similar ongoing thread in PC, I do think an artists choice of repertoire to make a political statement is a relevant topic for discussion on this forum but rants about China, etc., are not nor is this a place to argue the merits of Fox news reporting.

Let's keep the discussion centered on piano related matters please.

#1605232 - 01/25/11 11:08 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
Ken Knapp Online   content

Loc: Pennsylvania
It's been shown time and time again that the discussion of politics on the forums leads to nothing but trouble. All it serves to do is cause hard feelings.

Conversation about a performer should be less about his/her political viewpoints and more about his/her skills, performances, etc.

Piano Organ Depot
http://www.pianoorgandepot.com
Hammond Organ Technician
http://www.tonewheeltech.com
Vice President - MITA, International
http://www.mitatechs.org
http://www.facebook.com/MITATechs

#1605240 - 01/25/11 11:16 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
alexb -

I agree.

Greg - you've got a hard job :\

Cathy

#1605269 - 01/25/11 11:59 AM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales
@alexb, @jotur - I also agree.

#1605305 - 01/25/11 01:01 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
moscheles001 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northeast Pennsylvania
I've stopped posting on PW because of the political baiting (in which, I'm ashamed to say, I have allowed myself become ensnared on a few occasions).

I'm afraid this place just isn't what it used to be, at least for me.

#1605373 - 01/25/11 02:34 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: btcomm
JF ---------
I think the natives are getting restless. It's interesting how you are able to calmly respond to some of the left leaning folks here...

Thanks for the moral support btcomm - I've been trying my best, but it hasn't been easy - but, there are left leaning folks here? confused

What I like about Piano World is the lack of political BS in the forums. Shall we keep it that way?

I'm trying my best Gary..but cooperation is a little hard to come by...

....I don't think anything said by the OP is sincere to be quite honest, and so it's a waste of time. Alex

Most people give other people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to being sincere - apparently you have some special power that allows you to see otherwise...this is uncomfortably close to character assasination - but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that.

Originally Posted By: BB Player
...Let's keep the discussion centered on piano related matters please.

Hey Greg! Nice of you to come in.

I've been trying to do just that here - please reread the thread if you need or want a refresher - but the distractions are increasing in number (if not necessarily in reasonableness).

If some of the otherwise nice, but emotionally charged posters here can't find a way to be a little less personal and a little more constructive I may just ask you to close down this thread myself! But maybe not - that would be unjustified (not to mention making them too happy!) laugh

I keep thinking of what Lang said himself about his biggest fans, which is that they're great, but some of them don't have much of a sense of humor.

Well, I think he said that, but if he didn't he should have! smile

JF

#1605382 - 01/25/11 02:44 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
bluekeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes John, it's everyone else's fault. You've been a perfect gentleman.

#1605432 - 01/25/11 03:52 PM Re: Lang Lang on Fox and Friends [Re: TrapperJohn]
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
It seems to be my day for closing threads that are ostensibly about Lang Lang's performance at the White House.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (*windowlicker*, accordeur, ajames, 36251, 37 invisible), 1349 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157139 Topics
2307788 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chopin experts: this is driving me nuts
by riley80
08/29/14 09:40 AM
At Last - My VPC1 is Ordered!
by EmptySpace
08/29/14 09:32 AM
Pin block not contacting plate flange
by Bob
08/29/14 08:33 AM
? 4 CA95/CS10 owners - soundboard vs external speakers
by markmarz
08/29/14 05:55 AM
Might play in hotel lounges/bars!!
by Pover
08/29/14 04:18 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission