2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 10 invisible), 1,828 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 45 of 45 1 2 43 44 45
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Vinitious
Hi,

After a very long time of looking around for a piano with a good action which can simulate an acoustic piano in a agreeable way I decided to go for a Kawai MP10.
I received the MP10 this day, but there is a huge problem, namely, the piano doesn't produce any sound.
I don't have any monitors yet so I tested it with two different type of headphones. I've read the manual extensively, still no clue.
Now this is my first stage piano, so maybe there is something which I am not aware of?
I plugged in the headphones, set the most left volume slider to 50%, turned on the piano section, set that volume slider to 50%, choosen a piano type and variation, played the keys, but no sound.

If anyone owns a MP10 and has a clue, please let me know.

Now, if I will be able to get sound out of this piano I could tell some more about the action and sounds.
The action is quite heavy, but I can't say much about it without sound, can say one thing though, that is that without sound the action makes a lot of noise (it is more noticable ofcourse) when the keys hit the bottom. This will be less obvious when there is sound, but I am certainly wondering whether this could be irritating in the long run.
Never noticed how much noise the keys of an acoustic makes, usually these sounds work.

Think this will be my first and last Kawai, first there are few dealers, so the availability sucks, and then, it seems, they manage to let this thing pass to the customer.

edit:
It could be the case that the headphone output, is broken, so I also tried the mono output (not the fixed output) and plugged it into my hi-fi installation. I used a stereo jack (I haven't got these large mono jacks),guess this should work on one chan??
Still no sound.

Have you done a factory reset? Try toggling the local button. Maybe also the panic button.

A
A
Based on what you described, you should have sound. Like SpanishBudda said, the only thing I can think of is toggling the LOCAL OFF button in the MIDI section. If it's illuminated, there will be no sound.

That's a longshot. I believe it defaults to off with the factory settings.

If that doesn't do it, then probably time to call the dealer.

If you haven't already, it may be worth reading KawaiDon's post on this forum: Link

R
R
Sounds like another DOA to me... whistle

J
J
Originally Posted by AldoEsplay
Based on what you described, you should have sound. Like SpanishBudda said, the only thing I can think of is toggling the LOCAL OFF button in the MIDI section. If it's illuminated, there will be no sound.

That's a longshot. I believe it defaults to off with the factory settings.

If that doesn't do it, then probably time to call the dealer.

If you haven't already, it may be worth reading KawaiDon's post on this forum: Link

The local off button was off indeed by default. Also tried the panic button, still no sound.
The strange thing is that if only for instance the piano section is on, still some buttons on the e.piano and sub section are on. I don't know whether when you turn off or on a whole section the buttons that belong to that sections should all be/go off?

Did try the factory reset, still no sound.

Thanks for the advise.

Anyway, the MIDI does work, so at least something works.
Will be contacting the dealer.

Last edited by Vinitious; 01/22/11 12:47 PM.
A
A
The other e. Piano and sub section lights will stay illuminated as they were when the section was last active. The main button for the section just toggle the section on/off. You can still change parameters within an inactive section, which is probably why the lights stay on.

Sorry to hear about the broken board. The noisy action you mentioned earlier might also be a defect. Mine has a quiet thump when you play with the sound off. If you're getting a click or clack, then there may be a problem with the action.

J
J
Originally Posted by AldoEsplay
Sorry to hear about the broken board. The noisy action you mentioned earlier might also be a defect. Mine has a quiet thump when you play with the sound off. If you're getting a click or clack, then there may be a problem with the action.

The noisy action is exactly like wat you hear in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr-ezfk9FCw

Now that I have sound the noise is less obvious, but it comes more to the foreground on the higher notes, ofcourse the noise get's harder when the key is struck harder.
Since the MP8 on the video has the same noisy action I wonder whether this is something one has to get used of.
I take it you have an MP10 and the keys don't make these noises, or in a lesser extend compared to what you hear on the video?

Last edited by Vinitious; 01/22/11 05:42 PM.
A
A
The sound quality isn't fantastic in the video, and it sounds like he had the volume turned down pretty far.

But even with the volume turned way down on the MP10, I don't hear the key noise anywhere near that loud over the audio. At normal piano volume, I don't hear the keys noise at all.

Also, mine's a lower pitch thump. The best way I can describe it is if I rest my fist across my chest and thump it by just bending at the wrist (and a bit more muffled still). I only approach a Tarzan style chest thumping sound if I bang some two-handed chords at fff.

Another way of describing it is to place a thumb on the casing in front of the keys. And then with a finger on the other hand tap on the thumbnail and then a key. Should be about the same volume.

Page 45 of 45 1 2 43 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission