Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1603857 - 01/23/11 02:47 PM "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread
ajstan99 Offline

Hi All - new to the forum and have enjoyed reading everyone's posts as a guest for the past few months.

As I have recently purchased a Casio Privia PX-330, I was hoping we could have a thread where Privia owners could connect and collect hints, tips, and tricks. It seems like there are a number of threads referencing the Privia line, but no central repository.

I'll be happy to try and answer anyone's questions the best I can, and I'm sure that I'll have a few questions myself.  Anyone considering acquiring a Privia should feel free to ask questions as well.  

Here are some quick links to get things started:

The Casio Privia Website:
http://www.priviapiano.com

You can find links to Owner's Manuals and other support info on this page:
http://www.priviapiano.com/support

Looking forward to participating and helping others out as this forum has helped me.

Mods - please feel free to move, merge, and/or rename as appropriate to fit the rules of this forum.

ajstan99

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1603952 - 01/23/11 04:34 PM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: ajstan99]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
ajstan99, welcome to the forum.

You may also be interested in the following thread:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1265894

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1604037 - 01/23/11 06:18 PM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: ajstan99]
ajstan99 Offline

Hi James - thanks for the welcome and the link.

#1604749 - 01/24/11 04:21 PM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: ajstan99]
DinoDesi Offline

ajstan99,

Nice Idea. I just purchased a PX-330 last weekend. I'm really happy with it. But I do have a complaint. I hooked it up to my home stereo amplifier and the sound was very poor. Nothing like what I hear with the headphones on.

Also the on-board speakers continue to produce sound. I have read that this is an oversight on the design part by Casio.

My question is, what is the best way of hooking up the PX-330 to a stereo amplifier?

Thanks

#1604820 - 01/24/11 06:44 PM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: ajstan99]
ajstan99 Offline

Hi Dino. I've found the output from the line out jacks to be low compared to typical AV devices. Just guessing here, but I suppose it's due to the fact that they have to account for a larger dynamic range with a musical instrument and have to keep the average volume lower to accommodate peak output level potential.

I have an Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver and I got what I thought was very good quality sound by connecting as follows with some Radio Shack adapters I had lying around (there are other adapter combos that will work, just take the mono out of the PX-330 and connect to stereo inputs on your receiver/amp):

1. Connect a 1/4" patch cable to the L/Mono output on the back of the PX-330

2. Attach a 1/4" Female to two 1/4" Male adapter to the other end of the patch cable and add a 1/4" Female to RCA Male adapter to each of the 1/4" tips.

3. Plug into the RCA inputs of the receiver/amp

4. Plug a pair of headphones or any 1/8" adapter into a headphone jack to kill the sound from the built-in speakers.

You will need to crank the volume control on the PX-330 as high as it can go to send the best signal possible to the receiver. I used the "Full Mono" setting to send the same combined signal from the L/R inputs to each of the speakers.

As I understand it, when headphones are connected, some type of stereo spatial processing is applied that also gets send to the line-out signal, so that is why I only used the mono output and didn't seem to notice any unwanted effects.

Hope this helps, but if anyone has any better suggestions (or corrections) please feel free to chime in.

#1604832 - 01/24/11 06:58 PM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: ajstan99]
DinoDesi Offline

ajstan99,

Thanks.... More questions:

1. What is the "Full Mono" setting? I don't see it in the manual.
2. How does going mono affect the sound since the PX-330 has "stereo samples"

Thanks again

Dino

#1604840 - 01/24/11 07:08 PM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: DinoDesi]
ajstan99 Offline

The "Full Mono" setting is on the amp, not the keyboard. As for stereo vs mono output, give it a try both ways and see what you like better. Just get a second patch cord and run from both Left and Right outputs of the keyboard to the L/R inputs on the receiver - no splitter needed. In fact, I may give this a try myself.

#1604843 - 01/24/11 07:14 PM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: ajstan99]
DinoDesi Offline

Got it... Good luck with the "second patch cord" method. That is what I originally tried and wasn't too impressed. I think the "stereo spatial processing" stuff got in the way.

I will try the mono strategy and let you know how it goes.

Thanks

#1605053 - 01/25/11 02:21 AM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: DinoDesi]
hpeterh Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
I have read somewhere that the PX330 switches the frequency response automatically when a headphone is plugged in.
I dont know if this is true, however if it is true then a (dummy) plug in the headphone outlet could be important.
It can also be of advantage to connect the amp to the headphone outlet instead to line out. Test it by trial and error.

Best,

Peter

#1607712 - 01/28/11 07:08 PM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: ajstan99]
ajstan99 Offline

Thanks, Peter. I gave the headphone jack a try this evening and didn't see very much difference vs. using the output jack in the back of the unit. That being said, I didn't notice any distracting ambient effects although the keyboard is positioned against the left wall and not in a great place to hear stereo/spatial effects.

I also tried running the PX-330 into a Harbinger APS-15 amp I got last year from Guitar Center for under $200 on sale. Strangely enough, I actually preferrd the sound through the Harbinger - not that it was better quality - probably because I expected a "DP through a PA" type sound, and for that, it was pretty good, all things considered. Changing the Brilliance to +1 made it sound better to me.

At this point, my preferred method is using the built in speakers at moderate volume. If I want to amp to play along with someone (or just to be loud) I'll use the Harbinger amp. Here's a link to the amp if anyone's interested:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinger-APS15-15--Powered-PA-Speaker-105122774-i1430143.gc

#1633780 - 03/04/11 10:45 PM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: ajstan99]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
I have an issue with the output jacks on my PX330 - there is no signal! The piano is under warranty, but it is odd that the output jacks just quit working. Luckily, I was fooling around with my rig and discovered the fault instead of just taking the thing to the gig tomorrow night. Anyone else have this problem?

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

#1634194 - 03/05/11 02:18 PM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: ajstan99]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
They were working and just died, right? There have been reports on this and other threads of very low signal output on the line out of the Casio. Also I think the volume slider affects line out.

#1634275 - 03/05/11 04:04 PM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: ajstan99]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
There must be a broken connection inside, I'm thinking.

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

#2056123 - 03/29/13 09:54 AM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: ajstan99]
mstivers Offline

Loc: Sacramento
Regarding the "dead" line outs, plugging a jack into the headphone out seems to be the solution. In fact, I discovered that the manual actually says to do this. I have never had any other keyboard that behaved this way.

#2056429 - 03/29/13 06:57 PM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: ajstan99]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
I think it was designed this way so the on-board speakers continue to function as some players prefer this so they can hear and feel the vibration of the piano as they play. Putting in a headphone jack mutes the onboard speakers.

#2056502 - 03/29/13 09:01 PM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: ajstan99]
o0Ampy0o Offline

Mike Martin of Casio has spoken of it as an intentional behavior. They could have used a button, switch or buried the control in the interface menu (THANK YOU CASIO!) but this is fine the way it is to me. I have accumulated several 1/8" to 1/4" adapters over the years and keep one there all of the time. I just pull it out enough to engage the built-in speakers when I want them sounding then push it all the way in when I don't.

#2056557 - 03/29/13 10:41 PM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: ajstan99]
JLWilson27 Offline

I am looking for an answer to a question I can't find. My daughter was given a Casio Privia PX-400R. She wants to record her songs & I see the slot for a SmartMedia 3.3V card. Since she is 10, she doesn't need studio quality recording but I want to make sure I get a card that will record. Every smart card I am findig online talks about being for digital cameras. Does anyone know if that will work for recording or if it is just for pictures. Does anyone know? Or know where I could find the right card if that won't work? The prices I've seen are pretty high, especially if it doesn't work. Thanks in advance.

#2056575 - 03/29/13 11:13 PM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: ajstan99]
fizikisto Online   content

Loc: Hernando, MS
JLWilson27
Here is a link to the owner's manual for that keyboard. The smartmedia card is just a form of computer storage like a USB flash drive or an old floppy drive disk. They are commonly used in cameras, but have also been used in computers and some digital keyboards. You should check the manual to see how to use the card.

Warm Regards

#2056577 - 03/29/13 11:17 PM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: ajstan99]
fizikisto Online   content

Loc: Hernando, MS
JLWilson27
P.S. A very cursory google search found that current prices on smart media cards is indeed pretty high, but on ebay I found several of them which were more reasonably priced. You may have better luck finding something appropriate there.

#2056836 - 03/30/13 12:18 PM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: JLWilson27]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

JL Wilson27
I believe there is a size limit on the type of SD card your piano will recognize. I have an older Casio thats around the generation of your 400R. It can only utilize 1gb SD card and under. Take a look through the owners manual to see if yours has this same restriction.

#2061623 - 04/09/13 12:35 AM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: ajstan99]
JLWilson27 Offline

Thanks!

#2062386 - 04/10/13 01:00 PM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: ajstan99]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Please excuse my laziness. Don't want to go checking. Then not even sure if it's been left out of the literature. I had heard this. Not sure which one.

What is the lowest Privia that can operate on batteries?

#2062479 - 04/10/13 05:31 PM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: rnaple]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

I believe the PX-5S is the only Privia that can run on batteries. The XW-P1,G1, WK 7500,7000 can also run on batteries. I'm not sure about other Casio keyboards.

#2062544 - 04/10/13 07:51 PM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: ajstan99]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
If you're into DIY stuff, you could certainly make any model that takes VDC input into a "battery operated model" if you really required that.

#2062579 - 04/10/13 08:57 PM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: galaxy4t]
Mike_Martin Offline

Originally Posted By: galaxy4t
I believe the PX-5S is the only Privia that can run on batteries. The XW-P1,G1, WK 7500,7000 can also run on batteries. I'm not sure about other Casio keyboards.

Correct. The PX-5S is the only Privia that can run on batteries.

Casio Music Forums
Privia Pro PX-5S Audio Demos

#2064885 - 04/15/13 09:40 AM Re: "Official" Casio Privia Owners Thread [Re: ajstan99]
Lelax Offline

Approaching one year experience with my PX-130. It is my regular practice piano used typically 2 hours per day. How durable is the PX-130? Have any problems emerged after one year of steady use? What are the lessons of one full year of experience with the PX-130? All excellent questions. I will share some of my observations and experiences in later posts.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
149 registered (aesop, 36251, ajames, accordeur, *windowlicker*, 46 invisible), 1489 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75897 Members
42 Forums
156843 Topics
2304609 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Some tuning clients are just so...
by Eric Gloo
08/21/14 07:54 PM
Brands of soundboard
by PhilipInChina
08/21/14 06:23 PM
Ear training - what is it?
by Scordatura
08/21/14 05:05 PM
Speaker/monitor quieries
by Enthusiast
08/21/14 04:06 PM
Rubinstein or horowitz couldn't play op 10 no 1?
by rov
08/21/14 04:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission