2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (Animisha, admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,175 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 31 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 30 31
R
R
I've updated the Preset List. You can find the URL in the first posting.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Well done, ripe_md thumb

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TADutchman
Originally Posted by vabejas
Question for you TAD: when defining Layer Dynamics settings, how do you proceed? I've tried it, but I don't hear much difference between, let's say a 7 and 10 value. Do you have an example where the difference is really audible?

Sure, there are plenty of examples I'll show you later.

The maximum difference in harmonics with active layer dynamics can be heard when playing Fortissimo and especially in all those cases where the layered voice has a volume balance of (near) equal or greater loudness than the original (single) voice. cool

Just select a few velocity sensitive dual voice mode patches (i.e. no organ voices) from the presets list that meet the above criteria and I'm sure you'll be able to hear a significant difference when you change the layer dynamics parameter from 1 -> 10. Happy hunting! grin

Something else: I just noticed that you posted another performance using the Steinway Grand Devotion preset. Excellent Schumann playing style! http://www.youtube.com/user/jasvabe#p/a/u/0/tYg6d7CUHRA

Originally Posted by ripe_md
I've updated the Preset List. You can find the URL in the first posting.

Yep! Great work RipeMD! thumb

Kawai CA-93

'Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable' (Leonard Bernstein)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jasvabe
http://www.youtube.com/user/Vabejas

The maximum difference in harmonics with active layer dynamics can be heard when playing Fortissimo and especially in all those cases where the layered voice has a volume balance of (near) equal or greater loudness than the original (single) voice. cool

Ok TAD thanks for this, I'll try it out! thumb

Something else: I just noticed that you posted another performance using the Steinway Grand Devotion preset. Excellent Schumann playing style! http://www.youtube.com/user/jasvabe#p/a/u/0/tYg6d7CUHRA

Thanks for the publicity, glad you enjoy it! cool
I've deleted my first YT post, didn't enjoy the recording quality with the Zoom H2 close to the piano.
So far I get best results with the direct USB WAV recording method. I don't change anything afterwards, except for Audacity normalizing. Let's say the audio outcome satisfies me for 80%: there is still a lack of transparency and room as compared to the sound I get through my headphones.
The quest for the perfect piano sound is still on! wink

Kawai CA-93

'Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable' (Leonard Bernstein)

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Let's say the audio outcome satisfies me for 80%: there is still a lack of transparency and room as compared to the sound I get through my headphones.
That's right (also a lack of attack transient definition and bass). The better the headphones, the bigger the sound quality differences with direct USB recording (in its current state). I personally would estimate USB recording at only about half of the original sound quality compared to playing through my Sennheiser HD595 headphones.

Here's a reference page:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1618071/5.html

Just scroll down that page to find more posts discussing the perceived lower sound quality with USB recording.

Last edited by TADutchman; 02/12/11 02:55 PM. Reason: reference added

D
D
Hi All - a newbie here who has been lurking for a while...such a great forum!

I hate to shortchange all the hard work the Dutchman has put into this patch list, but I would very much like opinions on which you think are the TOP 3 'MUST-HAVE' PIANO PATCHES.

I ask this because I've just bought a CA63 for my mother as an upgrade to an older Yamaha CLP-130. I want to add a few of these to her piano for her that will wow her (she's a technically challenged senior) and I'll only have a limited amount of time to pop them in for her.

Some variety in you recommendations would be nice (i.e. 3 tasteful differing sounds rather than 3 Steinway variations). Also, she will never be using headphones, so sounds that will work well through the stock speakers are preferred.

Thanks in advance!

Kawai RX-2; Kurzweil PC2x
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dogbert
I hate to shortchange all the hard work the Dutchman has put into this patch list, but I would very much like opinions on which you think are the TOP 3 'MUST-HAVE' PIANO PATCHES.
Hi Dogbert, don't worry about it, here's a versatile Top 3 example for classical, jazz/pop and ragtime (quite curious about other Top 3 entries):

1. STEINWAY GRAND DEVOTION R2.1 - normal touch edition
2. THE WAY IT IS R1.0 - half open lid
3. PUB PIANO SING-A-LONG R1.0 (Scott Joplin)

By the way, does your mother happen to like harp music too? (there are 8+1 memory slots available in total). This harp preset is supposed to sound like a CD recording from the Sint-Baafs Cathedral in Ghent (Belgium) whistle

HARDCORE HARP MEDITATION R1.0

Dual Voice: Harp, volume 8 + Pick Nylon Gt., volume 2

1 Basic Settings
1 - 3 Tone control: low +6, mid -2, high +1

2 Virtual Technician
2 - 1 Voicing: dynamic
2 - 5 Touch: light

3 Key Settings
3 - 4 Layer dynamics: 9

Reverb: Hall 2

Effects: Delay 3, time 3, depth 4

D
D
Thanks for the suggestions Mr. Dutchman! I don't think she'd be all that interested in a Harp patch but I appreciate the thought (more likely some organ patches, since she occasional plays church music, but the built in organ presets are probably already adequate).

I have a question for you: In reviewing past threads on the CA63/93, there was some discussion about the default 'normal' touch setting as being on the sensitive side and that 'heavy' provided a more realistic response. One poster even suggested Kawai change the default setting to heavy. The thread just sort of ended without resolution but I notice that most of your piano patches use normal or even light touch settings. Could you share your thoughts on the touch levels?

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
...more likely some organ patches, since she occasional plays church music, but the built in organ presets are probably already adequate).
Well, i.m.h.o. they are not adequate when just selected from the soundlist (no real presets). You'd better check out the optimised church organs in the Organ section of the CA93/C63 presets list. cool

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I have a question for you: In reviewing past threads on the CA63/93, there was some discussion about the default 'normal' touch setting as being on the sensitive side and that 'heavy' provided a more realistic response. One poster even suggested Kawai change the default setting to heavy. The thread just sort of ended without resolution but I notice that most of your piano patches use normal or even light touch settings. Could you share your thoughts on the touch levels?

Sure, the CA93/CA63 implementation of touch sensitivity is a little more complex than stated in the user manual. Why? Because also the brilliance of the sound is affected at the same time. For example, when you select heavy touch, not only the touch curve changes but also the overall sound gets darker.
Knowing this, you could select normal or light touch to get more brilliance and adjust other parameters like voicing to (at least partly) compensate for the lighter touch. (The MP10 has a separate brilliance parameter, which would come in quite handy so I've requested that towards Kawai for the CA93/CA63 firmware some time ago already).

D
D

Sure, the CA93/CA63 implementation of touch sensitivity is a little more complex than stated in the user manual. Why? Because also the brilliance of the sound is affected at the same time. For example, when you select heavy touch, not only the touch curve changes but also the overall sound gets darker.
Knowing this, you could select normal or light touch to get more brilliance and adjust other parameters like voicing to (at least partly) compensate for the lighter touch. (The MP10 has a separate brilliance parameter, which would come in quite handy so I've requested that towards Kawai for the CA93/CA63 firmware some time ago already).

Very informative response and after reviewing your patches I see that you're working the touch, voicing and tone control to achieve the appropriate brilliance. Thanks!

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Let's just not spend 150 grand on a fairly bright grand! shocked grin

YAMMIE YAMAHA CFIIIS R1.0

Dual Voice: Mellow Grand, volume 5 + Mellow Grand 2, volume 5

1 Basic Settings
1 - 3 Tone control: low +2, mid +1, high -3

2 Virtual Technician
2 - 1 Voicing: dynamic
2 - 2 Damper resonance: 6
2 - 3 String resonance: 10
2 - 4 Key off effect: 6
2 - 5 Touch: normal
2 - 8 Stretch tuning: Wide

3 Key Settings
3 - 4 Layer dynamics: 10

Reverb: Hall 2

Effect: Delay 3, time 2, depth 2

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Let's shake the tree! wink

Do you recall this one-liner? It may still take a while, but hold on, following 'the sequence of events', my not so wild guess is that a CA93/CA63 firmware update with new/improved feature(s) is upcoming...

Let's just not spend 150 grand on a fairly bright grand! shocked grin

YAMMIE YAMAHA CFIIIS R1.0

A preset at this price deserves a review! wink

I've put it in my 2nd slot for a while, it's a very funny experience, like having two completely different piano's at once. Playing at p or pp level, its extremely dark and mellow, when reaching mf and beyond it turns out bright, wide and resonant. Very difficult to master the transition between these two spectrums, for everyday use,mmm...not sure. It's 'another' sound, I'll keep testing it for a while, promising patch! thumb

Kawai CA-93

Let's shake the tree! wink

Do you recall this one-liner? It may still take a while, but hold on, following 'the sequence of events', my not so wild guess is that a CA93/CA63 firmware update with new/improved feature(s) is upcoming...

Is that so? I wonder what the improvements might be...I'm very curious. More preset space?? wink

Kawai CA-93

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I'll keep testing it for a while, promising patch! thumb
Thanks, I'll keep updating it for a while... cool

In other words, it's like trying to manage a Chinese colleague of mine:

Me: "Please confirm that you will do this as agreed."
She: "I will see what I can do." grin

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Very difficult to master the transition between these two spectrums
What happens when you switch from normal touch to light touch? I know it will yield very bright fortissimos (could work on that later), but just focussing on the transition I mean...

Very difficult to master the transition between these two spectrums
What happens when you switch from normal touch to light touch? I know it will yield very bright fortissimos (could work on that later), but just focussing on the transition I mean...

I've tried it, better transition, but personally I'm not too keen on any classical piano with 'light touch' settings. It's a completely different story when playing modern stuff, where it's perfectly acceptable or even desired.
My favorite classical piano sounds mellow and woody, like the Steinway or Fazioli when playing pp>p and from mf> resonant,wide, full and bright. The action should be heavy enough to take full advantage of the sophisticated key weighting system of the CA-93/63.
That's why Brutal Bösie and me are still not friends, I can't play with nuances, despite the impressive basses in that patch.
Too loud.
My best friend so far is still the Steinway GD, sometimes it sounds 'off' on some notes (maybe because the guitar layer has some funny slides. Have you tried some solo finger/pick nylon notes, boingg!!?) and it sounds slightly 'phasy' as well. I consider it part of it's personality. The Fazioli is nice, woody but with less personality in the upper register.
The Ambient Steinway is nice as well, but a bit heavy-handed for my taste.
I liked the ExMax in the beginning, but there is a certain hollowness about it when playing live. The Shigeru is too shallow and clangy in the discant, very much sounding like a DP, I'm not too crazy about it anymore.
It's like tasting wines on different days, depends on your mood how you appreciate it.
I'm sure that one day you will come out with the perfect piano, you're almost there, keep searching TAD!! thumb

Kawai CA-93

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Interesting comments, thanks. smile

As you told me, your experience is that the timbre of the Steinway Grand Devotion mellow1 based piano preset is warm and maybe therefore seemingly just so very slightly 'off' sometimes. This is actually considered a big asset, as it delivers a very non-DP like living organic, acoustic grand piano sound! This in strong contrast with the basic concert grand sound, which you personally find "just plain ugly, sterile, without body, like the average Yamaha DP." grin wink

Page 19 of 31 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 30 31

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission