Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1605435 - 01/25/11 04:00 PM My War on Homework
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
I'm getting this printed out to display at school:

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1605498 - 01/25/11 05:47 PM Re: My War on Homework [Re: keyboardklutz]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
I've seen that poster before, and it most certainly wasn't about practicing!

#1605501 - 01/25/11 06:00 PM Re: My War on Homework [Re: keyboardklutz]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I think schools should teach time management skills before they pile on the homework. Kids are really busy nowadays, and most of them don't know how to juggle their schedules very well. Heck, their parents don't know how to juggle schedules, either.

I've been seeing what my students are doing for homework. It's really not that much different than what I experienced 20 years ago. In fact, I'd say they're doing slightly less work, with time-savers like the Internet. They're just challenged with more distractions like computer games and texting...

#1605505 - 01/25/11 06:03 PM Re: My War on Homework [Re: keyboardklutz]
keyboardklutz Offline

Here's another:

#1605513 - 01/25/11 06:21 PM Re: My War on Homework [Re: keyboardklutz]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz
I'm getting this printed out to display at school:

I am sure the school will be abashed/flabbergasted yet in agreement.

#1605534 - 01/25/11 06:59 PM Re: My War on Homework [Re: keyboardklutz]
Elissa Milne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
There's substantial evidence that homework is of little value, particularly because most homework is busy-work rather than creative. Practice, on the other hand......
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com

#1605564 - 01/25/11 07:51 PM Re: My War on Homework [Re: Elissa Milne]
bitWrangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Central TX
Originally Posted By: Elissa Milne
There's substantial evidence that homework is of little value, particularly because most homework is busy-work rather than creative. Practice, on the other hand......

Careful now, you are effectively saying well executed practice is better than poorly executed homework. Point is both are important and useful if done properly just as both can be abused and used to waste time and result in little advancement. AAMOF, it wouldn't surprise me at all, given the amount of kvetching that occurs on this forum about poor (piano) student habits, that the percentage of "useful" practice is roughly equiv to the amount of "useful" homework in the general population smile

#1605599 - 01/25/11 08:54 PM Re: My War on Homework [Re: keyboardklutz]
keystring Offline

Loc: Canada
Properly designed and planned homework and practice assignment, following proper teaching, preceded by proper planning without compromise to outside agendas. Only then can you talk about proper homework habits, and proper practicing habits. Otherwise a student is most successful by ignoring what he's been told to do, and finding something that works. (which is a somewhat hit and miss affair)

#1605628 - 01/25/11 09:57 PM Re: My War on Homework [Re: Elissa Milne]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Homework is only of little value because most kids don't do it.

#1605633 - 01/25/11 10:02 PM Re: My War on Homework [Re: keyboardklutz]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Here's another:

Assuming you live in The Land Of The Free (as long as you can afford it), are your customers going to be relaxed about their children being compared to Young Pioneers in front of a map of Russia? It's a long time since I visited the US, but remember being surprised by the phobia against Communism, rather than the reasoned opinion I was used to home in the UK :-)

#1605638 - 01/25/11 10:13 PM Re: My War on Homework [Re: Exalted Wombat]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Exalted Wombat
Here's another:

Assuming you live in The Land Of The Free (as long as you can afford it), are your customers going to be relaxed about their children being compared to Young Pioneers in front of a map of Russia? It's a long time since I visited the US, but remember being surprised by the phobia against Communism, rather than the reasoned opinion I was used to home in the UK :-)

Offensive yet genius?

#1605708 - 01/26/11 12:26 AM Re: My War on Homework [Re: keyboardklutz]
keyboardklutz Offline

I could probably reshape the map to the US.

#1605712 - 01/26/11 12:37 AM Re: My War on Homework [Re: Exalted Wombat]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City

I doubt that the majority of US citizens could identify either a map of Russia or one of the Soviet Unior and even fewer could articulate the difference between the two.

Edited by malkin (01/26/11 12:40 AM)
Edit Reason: Fix my messed up HTML

#1605717 - 01/26/11 12:52 AM Re: My War on Homework [Re: keyboardklutz]
Elissa Milne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

keyboardklutz, it's all HILARIOUS!

Regarding homework there is a range of research supporting a finding of homework being useless.

The first element is the quality of the homework being assigned. Mostly homework is assigned for the sake of assigning homework, not for genuine educational outcomes. So that's a big fail.

The second element is the uniform learning experience represented by most homework assignments, usually not utilising creative thinking or lateral thinking. This singular kind of learning experience, irrespective of discipline, creates a limited learning framework for the student.

Then there is the aspect of parents ending up completely assignments (or even doing them in toto) to remove the pressure from the children.

Related to this is evidence that teenagers need more sleep, and extensive homework assignments can only be completed at the cost of much needed sleep which will aid emotional balance as well as physical health.

And so forth. The evidence is clear that hours of homework done do not have a causal correlation with achievement in the classroom, or in real life subsequent to the school years.

Don't underestimate the impact the school curriculum (rarely skill-based, instead mostly focussed on various kinds of enculturation) has in these studies: if the lessons being taught in schools were skill-based then home 'practice' would see a direct and positive result.

#1605718 - 01/26/11 12:54 AM Re: My War on Homework [Re: malkin]
Elissa Milne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: malkin

I doubt that the majority of US citizens could identify either a map of Russia or one of the Soviet Unior and even fewer could articulate the difference between the two.

I have heard about the geographical disinterest of many US citizens, but still, this is a very funny thought.

#1605720 - 01/26/11 12:57 AM Re: My War on Homework [Re: malkin]
keyboardklutz Offline

Originally Posted By: malkin

Too true! Yes, you're right there Elissa - a pupil told me last week that research found homework next to useless.

I've changed the second one so it's not quite so white:

What cha think?

#1605736 - 01/26/11 01:37 AM Re: My War on Homework [Re: keyboardklutz]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Send the kids to Amy Chua's school. They will learn how to practice in a short time.

#1605789 - 01/26/11 06:08 AM Re: My War on Homework [Re: keyboardklutz]
keyboardklutz Offline

The interesting thing is the posters just may work. The little darlings will know nothing of the provenance and they should do the job on their little subconsciousness's! If I could just think up a new name for Uncle Joe...

#1605804 - 01/26/11 06:57 AM Re: My War on Homework [Re: keyboardklutz]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
The interesting thing is the posters just may work. The little darlings will know nothing of the provenance and they should do the job on their little subconsciousness's! If I could just think up a new name for Uncle Joe...

"Sam" is a nice name :-)

#1605811 - 01/26/11 07:13 AM Re: My War on Homework [Re: keyboardklutz]
keyboardklutz Offline

What about Uncle Dave? It's a shame - shave the moustache off and you'd have Gordon Brown!

#1605821 - 01/26/11 07:52 AM Re: My War on Homework [Re: keyboardklutz]
LaRate Offline

Loc: Germany
I was a young pioneer in East Germany (GDR). It was about the lamest thing you could be... well apart from the fact that everybody in my class (except for one kid with religious parents) was a young pioneer.

We used to wear that scarf thingy as a mask to play pretend cowboy bandits - for doing this one earned detention with a stern teacher that was the school's head of the pioneers.

Those were the days...
I'm glad they're gone.

#1605831 - 01/26/11 08:30 AM Re: My War on Homework [Re: keyboardklutz]
keyboardklutz Offline

Hey, I love the cowboy thing! Aren't kids refreshing - the best laid schemes of mice and men!

#1605833 - 01/26/11 08:36 AM Re: My War on Homework [Re: Elissa Milne]
keystring Offline

Loc: Canada
Especially in higher grades, we cannot master a subject simply by having somebody tell us about it in the classroom. You master algebra by doing algebra. You understand music theory by working with it, not by being told about it. You need a time where someone is explaining, showing, correcting, answering - that's classes or lessons. And time for the doing - that's work in the classroom and homework at home. This assumes intelligently designed work which is done intelligently.

If that research concludes homework is useless, then it hasn't been thought through. What is given, how, how much, and why, are factors, as well as how it is done. There is a lot of nonsense in "the System" as well as in society's mindset which interferes. Both practicing and homework are powerful things that should be prepared carefully, yet it is often almost ignored. All the focus is on teaching, as though the learning activity came from that.

Learning is impeded everywhere. Because of the educational system, teaching is toward tests, which are used to measure schools, a lot of it set up by administrators who are far removed from any learning mind. Hours of homework are assigned to keep kids off the street and give the illusion of education. Music doesn't escape this. Teachers must teach toward exams, competitions, impressing parents and peers in recitals, rather than teaching what is needed for musicianship. When we are part of the system, we must compromise our teaching - the danger comes when we are no longer aware of it and think that getting kids to pass tests or have x hours of homework *is* the purpose of education. It isn't.

In another thread, about sight reading, part of Akira's quote from research involves the same thing. In this quote, we see some music teachers whose students do exams also compromising what they teach for the sake of the exam. They were quoted as giving tricks to give the impression of sight reading ability, rather than teaching the skill as such. True teaching cannot be measured and put on handy graphs, and the results are not as obvious or linear.

Since we are all caught in a "system", and that system is necessary because we need some source of mass education, we can at least recognize it for it is, and try to teach and learn despite that system. What I'm trying to say is that homework is part of something bigger. I don't think that music lessons are always exempt from it.

Edited by keystring (01/26/11 08:39 AM)
Edit Reason: silly spelling and grammar stuff

#1605837 - 01/26/11 08:48 AM Re: My War on Homework [Re: keyboardklutz]
keyboardklutz Offline

Simple issue it's not.

#1605842 - 01/26/11 09:02 AM Re: My War on Homework [Re: Elissa Milne]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
keyboardklutz, it's all HILARIOUS!

Regarding homework there is a range of research supporting a finding of homework being useless.

The first element is the quality of the homework being assigned. Mostly homework is assigned for the sake of assigning homework, not for genuine educational outcomes. So that's a big fail.

The second element is the uniform learning experience represented by most homework assignments, usually not utilising creative thinking or lateral thinking. This singular kind of learning experience, irrespective of discipline, creates a limited learning framework for the student.

Then there is the aspect of parents ending up completely assignments (or even doing them in toto) to remove the pressure from the children.

Related to this is evidence that teenagers need more sleep, and extensive homework assignments can only be completed at the cost of much needed sleep which will aid emotional balance as well as physical health.

And so forth. The evidence is clear that hours of homework done do not have a causal correlation with achievement in the classroom, or in real life subsequent to the school years.

Don't underestimate the impact the school curriculum (rarely skill-based, instead mostly focussed on various kinds of enculturation) has in these studies: if the lessons being taught in schools were skill-based then home 'practice' would see a direct and positive result.

Just catching up on this thread...I really like this post Elissa! And it confirms what I always suspected.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1605849 - 01/26/11 09:12 AM Re: My War on Homework [Re: Elissa Milne]
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA

Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm interested in this issue and I'm thinking out loud ...

"Busy work" homework and much of instrument practice seems at first blush to me to be about much the same thing .... drilling a habit deep into the medulla so that an idea or a technique (in the case of the music) becomes habitual. You can reproduce it without much conscious effort.

I am no fan of busywork in the schools and I have battle scars to prove it. For me, the 'busywork' of piano practice is much more valuable than the kind of busywork often encountered in the schools, but that's more about my judgment of the content.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1605850 - 01/26/11 09:12 AM Re: My War on Homework [Re: keyboardklutz]
ROMagister Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bucuresti, Romania
1) I also was a Pionier in the Socialist Republic of Romania. The scarf was similar to the Soviet one, red but with Romanian flag colors (blue-yellow-red) on the border. It was quasi-universal and pretty harmless, more a sort of being generally a good guy/gal at school. One could get expelled for serious things, like organized theft in petty gangs. Right after 1989, the fall of Communism, some played pirate-scarf with the scarf; after some 10 years, some did wear it at alumni reunions as a sign of nostalgia (for our childhood/adolescence, not anything communist).
Compare with a less serious and pervasive Scouting (don't know how seriously that is taken now in the US, or the West generally, by kids, parents, general teachers and specific Scouting instructors).

2) The title of this thread... at first I thought how can music teachers eliminate imposing *their* homework to that kids already have from regular school ;-)
Seriously, have music teachers thought how to organize teaching with the best effectiveness possible around little or no home-practice ?

#1605851 - 01/26/11 09:15 AM Re: My War on Homework [Re: keyboardklutz]
LaRate Offline

Loc: Germany
As a kid, I never did any homework after school. I just couldn't bring myself to focus in the afternoon, even less in the evening.

It was much easier for me, to get up an hour early in the morning to do my homework before school (our school started at 7). Then again, we didn't use to get "hours of homework". Most of it could be done quite quickly, some of it could be skipped altogether. This was something, an american exchange student noticed as particular about school in Germany - there was very little redundance in homework assignments.

#1605853 - 01/26/11 09:17 AM Re: My War on Homework [Re: RonaldSteinway]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: RonaldSteinway
Send the kids to Amy Chua's school. They will learn how to practice in a short time.

Read the book. Ms Chua is nothing but a common variety stage mom using cultural differences as a cover.

#1605866 - 01/26/11 09:44 AM Re: My War on Homework [Re: John v.d.Brook]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: RonaldSteinway

I imagine that her kids get their homework done too.

Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook
Read the book. Ms Chua is nothing but a common variety stage mom using cultural differences as a cover.

Please, I'd rather read forums or mail order catalogs! Mama Chua is tedious.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
88 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, aesop, Anticlock, 31 invisible), 893 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157154 Topics
2308083 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New start - wish me good luck:)
by FarmGirl
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Automatic Piano Players...
by tksler
Yesterday at 10:33 PM
No one home?
by ScottM
Yesterday at 08:05 PM
Prokofiev's 5 piano concertos, live: Marinskij/Gergiev etc
by fnork
Yesterday at 07:36 PM
Has anyone here studied with S. Babayan
by Serge Marinkovic
Yesterday at 07:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission