Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1603895 - 01/23/11 03:21 PM How to remove scratch from steinway piano key cover (ebony)
aldrew Offline

Hi, I am writing to get your suggestions on how to fixed the light scratches on my Steinway S piano (satin ebony) color. We had our friend (who is a professional pianist) over last night. He played about 6 songs. Then this morning we realized this morning that there were a lot of scratches on the cover. We tried to finger rob them off, with no success. The we applied cory's polish liquid, still no success. Should we call a professional technician? Any advises will be greatly appreciate.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1603946 - 01/23/11 04:24 PM Re: How to remove scratch from steinway piano key cover (ebony) [Re: aldrew]
KB7 Offline

Loc: Banned Permanently
Hello aldrew,and welcome to the form! If they are only surface scratches,I would suggest a cleaner wax (such as turtle wax used for cars), or mild polishing compound buffed into the surface. You may also try 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. It's used for bringing out the shine in automobiles but you could try it on your piano. It's to gentle for it to harm the finish. You said that the scratches were on the piano key cover (the fallboard).If you do decide to lightly sand it,use 1,600 or 2,000 grit sand paper. This is the absolute finest and they use it to buff fine jewelry,so I'm sure it won't damage the pianos finish! You can find 1,600-2,000 grit sandpaper at Ace hardware,Pep Boys or any automotive parts center in the paint aisle

Edited by KB7 (01/23/11 04:28 PM)

#1603947 - 01/23/11 04:27 PM Re: How to remove scratch from steinway piano key cover (ebony) [Re: aldrew]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I suggest that you learn to live with it. Fallboards get scratches. That is the nature of the instrument.

#1603958 - 01/23/11 04:39 PM Re: How to remove scratch from steinway piano key cover (ebony) [Re: aldrew]
aldrew Offline

Thank you all for your suggestions and recommendations. I understand the scratches on the fallboard is nature. However, it is just not visually pleasing, especially with the Steinway and Sons insignia. Can we purchase fallboard cover any where? Thank you again for your help!

#1603968 - 01/23/11 04:47 PM Re: How to remove scratch from steinway piano key cover (ebony) [Re: aldrew]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Unless you're very fussy(not necessarily a bad thing), I would wait for the piano to collect more scratches on the fallboard or elsewhere and then hire a touch up person. Removing the fallboard scratches probably takes less than 1/2 hour or even 15 minutes, but you'll probably have to pay a minimum fee for around an hour's worth of their services. It's possible your tech can do this adequately during a tuning visit and not charge so much, but I would not recommend a regular tech if the entire piano was being gone over for scratch removal. Having watched touch up people work, I think there is great skill and experience involved as in other apsects of piano work.

If cost is not a problem, then I would call the store where you purchased the piano and ask them for the name of their touch up artist. No need to replace the fallboard.

It is very hard to keep all scratches off the fallboard, but I think that, unless they are very superficial, they can only be buffed out a few times before the fallboard would have to be refinished. I would make sure your fingernails are always cut closely or you will soon find more scratches on the fallboard...some are really inevitable no matter what you do.

Edited by pianoloverus (01/23/11 04:57 PM)

#1604274 - 01/24/11 12:13 AM Re: How to remove scratch from steinway piano key cover (ebony) [Re: aldrew]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

If it really bothers you, I'd call a technician who specializes in this stuff. You don't want to screw up the Steinway & Sons logo. It's fragile. Yes, there are name board protectors... just google for it.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1605118 - 01/25/11 06:43 AM Re: How to remove scratch from steinway piano key cover (ebony) [Re: aldrew]
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
The piano is a hand rubbed SATIN finish therefore 0000 steel wool with water in the direction of the stridations. DO NOT use 3M Imperial hand glaze on a hand rubbed ebony satin lacquer finish. When the glaze dries it turns white which CAN NOT be easily removed from a black piano.HEED MY WARNING.

When you rub the fallboard out...be aware of the amount of material of the finish. A stock Steinway ebony satin finish does not have a clear coat. We always shoot clear over black and rub out the clear on a newly refinished piano. It is the way it should be done. wink
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#1605641 - 01/25/11 10:16 PM Re: How to remove scratch from steinway piano key cover (ebony) [Re: aldrew]
FrankJoseph Offline

Loc: Redding, CA
I'd recommend a professional to do the job. I had a man work on my fallboard for 90 minutes from Sacramento, CA area and he used fine sandpaper and a specialized liquid. He knew exactly what he was doing. I didn't want to take any chances. I then placed a plastic fallboard shield which allows the logo to show through, but does not (in my opinion) detract from the beauty of the piano. I got a box of 6 for around $25.00 from a piano supply house. It almost makes the satin finish look glossy. It attaches with a band and string and does not damage the piano or leave a mark. I think there have been other discussion threads featuring "fallboard shields". I have very short nails but I caught myself hitting the fallboard, so now I only hit the plastic shield. Frank

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (ajames, accordeur, A Guy, AmateurBob, 44 invisible), 1664 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75349 Members
42 Forums
155789 Topics
2287534 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beethoven's ten greatest sonatas?
by JoelW
07/11/14 02:33 PM
Still looking
by capncaption
07/11/14 01:58 PM
Church&organ Willibrordus-church Kloosterburen(Nether
lands)

by Johan B
07/11/14 01:02 PM
Church & organ Willibrordus-church Kloosterburen-Nether
lands

by Johan B
07/11/14 01:00 PM
New recording by PW's Joseph Kubera gets sensational...
by pianoloverus
07/11/14 10:50 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission