2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 31 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 30 31
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
TADutchman, sorry for the offtopic but I would like to ask what headphones people are using with their CA63/93 and whether they are happy and would recommend them. Mine even vibrate and resonate for some frequencies and I am determined to taking better ones.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I would like to ask what headphones people are using with their CA63/93 and whether they are happy and would recommend them. Mine even vibrate and resonate for some frequencies and I am determined to taking better ones.
Sure, no problem, be my guest (after I selected the HD595s, my Kawai dealer told me that he uses the same cans at home for his pleasure).

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Today is Sunday, so it's not too difficult to find a big church choir in the neighbourhood that sings along with the Big Choir Organ R1.0 and can fully saturate your ears. shocked grin

EAR SATURATING CHURCH CHOIR R1.0

Dual Voice: Choir, volume 7 + Pop Aah, volume 3

1 Basic Settings
1 - 3 Tone control: low +4, mid +6, high +2

2 Virtual Technician
2 - 1 Voicing: dynamic
2 - 5 Touch: normal

3 Key Settings
3 - 4 Layer dynamics: 10

Reverb: Hall 2

Effects: Delay 3, time 6, depth 10

Originally Posted by TADutchman
Today is Sunday, so it's not too difficult to find a big church choir in the neighbourhood that sings along with the Big Choir Organ R1.0 and can fully saturate your ears. shocked grin

EAR SATURATING CHURCH CHOIR R1.0...

Halleluja! Good one TAD!

Kawai CA-93

'Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable' (Leonard Bernstein)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jasvabe
http://www.youtube.com/user/Vabejas
R
R
Coincidentally I own the same headphones as TADutchman: Sennheiser HD595.
I own them since two years and I'm quite happy with them. So far I haven't recognized anything unusual while using them with my CA93. Most probably my ears are too dirty. wink

By the way, I've just updated and uploaded the latest version of the preset list!

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ripe_md
Coincidentally I own the same headphones as TADutchman: Sennheiser HD595.
I own them since two years and I'm quite happy with them. So far I haven't recognized anything unusual while using them with my CA93. Most probably my ears are too dirty. wink
If someone claims to have 'cleaner' ears than ripe_md and me (and a higher budget) then why not go for the HD650, which has been used during the CA93 review, referred to in the first post of this thread. Don't know if it would improve audio quality even further though, as high-impedance settings are needed (i.e. resulting in less internal CA93/CA63 headphone amp overhead).

Originally Posted by ripe_md
By the way, I've just updated and uploaded the latest version of the preset list!
Thanks! In case one of you missed it last time: a direct link to the preset list is to be found in the first post of this thread too.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Well, well, look what the cat (or should I say guinea-pig) dragged in this time, an in-depth Kawai MP10 review in Dutch/French! shocked
http://www.meetmusic.com/NL/archivedetail.asp?id=1300&subrubriek=3
http://www.meetmusic.com/FR/archivedetail.asp?id=1300&subrubriek=3

Why? For fun of course, sharing the same advanced RM3 action and UPHI sampling technology with the CA93 / CA63 (no let-off). Nevertheless, also have a look at the role of Michael Kunz, not mentioned as product manager (reference: http://www.tastenwelt.de/interview_michael_kunz.0.html) in this review, but as 'principal designer' of the MP10! Does this perhaps explain why Kawai Europe has not been overly enthusiastic so far with the focus here on CA93/CA63 dual voice layering of piano voices (the MP10 cannot do this) and any serious firmware requests from customers for the CA93/CA63 in general (of which many I saw being implemented in the MP10 instead)? confused cry
Let's shake the tree! wink

Anyway, here's a funny, bad English Google translation of the MP10 review:

Kawai MP10

[Author: Hans Ijzerman] [Edition: Nr.265 - January 2011]
(The article can be found in Meet Music Magazine edition, you can get for free at over 650 distribution outlets in the Benelux. Click here to know them.)

In a quiet Thursday morning, I went to the headquarters of Kawai in Krefeld, Germany, which threw invited to discover the new Kawai MP10. It is with great pleasure that jai met the new workhorse of the mark. The principal designer of Kawai MP10, Michael Kunz, together with my enthusiasm in the grip of this digital piano internship as sil sagissait his own baby.

General

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
Kawai has always been, unfortunately, a position doutsider in the world of professional brands. Yamaha and Roland are still considered the reference marks when he sagit piano internship. Yet it is clear that Kawai has done his best to convince the new MP10 demmener pianists on stage with them for their upcoming concerts. This is especially evident in how they propose solutions to the problems most often encountered on stage, and too often forgotten in the design dun instrument. Kawai took steps to ensure their digital pianos offer the quality quila with their acoustic pianos with an experience of over 80 years.

Construction

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
The MP10 is a piano internship robust, reliable and aesthetically, we even tried to simulate the reflection of your hands on the cover of the keyboard in open position (a detail which could be found on many acoustic pianos). After the keys, there is a raised area on which we find the control panel of the piano. It is what allows you to see your fingers playing on a black lacquered space, just as you can see them playing on an acoustic piano. You can call me crazy, but this looks really part of the fun way.The dimensions of MP10 are 1380mm x 427.5 mm x 184.5 mm, with a weight of 31.8 kg. And yes, you read that right: 31.8 kg, rather beefy type, then. And that obviously the keyboard sexplique board, which is very high. It's so sagit downside when we want to create a simulation as realistic as possible the game dun acoustic piano. This is reflected in the choice of materials, and thus in the total weight of linstrument.Le MP10 is equipped with a keyboard RM3 Grand simulation with improper exhaust. Lon and particularly appreciates that this keyboard is made of the finest materials: the game is really fun. The 88 keys are made of quality wood covered with plastic dune Ivory Touch. This new plastic absorbs perspiration, which provides traction and grip with perfect touches.Tout else like many digital pianos, the MP10 is equipped with wooden side panels pretty red dun brown, which seems to be an important aspect to address. Sagit it was the part most exposed and most sensitive to shocks of any piano, especially when playing with on stage ... and yet marks didn t yet found a solution for this. Cest shame! But the MP10 has also for a black metal case that is very attractive, but which results quil particularly attracts dust and lon must always have a rag handy for nettoyer.Le panel is very well thought out and invites directly to get to work, and even without the operating instructions supplied with lengin. There are also pdf versions of the manual in many languages www.kawai.de. The manual has 88 pages and reads very easily, even sil has a lot of typos. The screen center, pretty basic, can follow the menus so fluid and very intuitive.Kawai series provides a module F-20 twin pedal that reacts very well with solid colors that you bring to your game, in addition to an t-score. This music stand offers enough despace top for 4 sheets next to each other, giving also a nice solid feel.

Opportunities

The MP10 offers a beautiful polyphony of 192 notes, thus guaranteeing you never see the problem. Loffre standard sound is not huge in comparison with other brands that will overwhelm the more different sounds. You can choose from 27 sounds, split into sections piano, e. piano and sub, which is actually more than enough. In addition to numerous changes you can make to their standard, such as 7 types of reverb, 25 types effects processor, a 3-band eq (CC adaptation that allows the media) and 6 damplis simulations for section e. piano, there are still dun setting called Virtual Technician for the piano section. The Virtual Technician feature allows you to CC adaptation everything possible in an original acoustic piano. This will slowdown hammers up to the resonance of the strings, and ... linton same hammer heads can resolve. You really have to adapt these elements to realize quaucun piano nest exactly the same quune other. It is even possible to modify certain parameters that lon can not accommodate a piano acoustique.A rear of the piano can find all the necessary connections, and lon quickly realizes that the designers have thought of everything that could facilitate pianist's life or the person responsible for PA. Very often it happens that lon must connect the cables so that lon has already taken place at the piano, so that no longer sees lon lon sure where to insert a cable in particular. Kawai helps you mentioning on the top of the piano which he entered or left sagit. Possible to make mistakes, you can even see in full concert you've placed the jack on the pedal in the wrong entry and editing. Clearly seen from Kawai! From left to right are: input L / Mono & R jacks, output L / Mono & R jacks, a ground lift switch for XLR-outputs L & R that are responsible for lenvoi dun and balanced audio signal without interference, USB MIDI connection to host and MIDI through three connections, in & out, a connection for a pedal exp dexpression, a connection fsw for a pedal footswitch connection damper / soft for the F-20 pedal module provided a power switch and power connection. A washing, you can still find a connection and a headset to plug USB device. Kawai offers the possibility of (for connections jack) DISPATCH both two channels (L & R) mono. To report this detail? Suppose you give a concert in a place where you do not have much material and you must provide your own return, and although you can send your signal to the mono sound and send another single line to your monitor, so you do not davoir signal split in two. And if you use the XLR outputs, master volume slider didn't dinfluence on the volume, allowing the facade to make it independently mix audio signals based reçus.Autre positive: the ability to connect a USB key that lets you direct your registrar, duly piano performances to mp3 (192kbit / s) or uncompressed WAV format! This allows you to process, send your game to hear .. In short, the possibilities are enormous. It is even possible to play audio nimporte what you put on your USB drive. In the field, Kawai is a pioneering field thus values and plug n play technology soared. Of course, you can simply save the MIDI format, to be precise and up to 90 000 notes, so what you see coming!

Answer + sound

As I reported lai can find on the keyboard RM3 MP10, which creates a very nice gaming experience The keyboard itself gives a greater sense of lightness that a genuine grand piano, which is actually pretty normal if dun digital piano. Yet field thus values Ivory Touch brings a very realistic feeling, especially because you dont ever limpression that your fingers could slide keys. Note that the MP10 has a very small gap in the field of play extremely quiet. It is not possible that lon datteindre called null, which means in fact that he is not extremely low DPress buttons without quune sound is produced. Problem? Well, those who are accustomed to go to extremes on a grand piano and acoustic, for example, want to play certain parts of the classical composer Ligeti risk dêtre a bit confused. But the vast majority of pianists will never be faced with the problem and it will not pose a problem for them. Beyond that, keyboard provides incredible benefits fair in all the nuances that lon wishes to apply to music. The touch is impeccable, both in serious Laigue, as the slight resistance that lon feels during the game: it neither has any technical deficiency that could affect you in your interpretation. Legato, staccato, martellato, pianissimo, fortissimo, everything is perfectly reflected in a perfectly consistent. A keyboard like this is rarely found in a digital piano, which is quite a shame when you see the same amount of fun and virtuosity that can offer musicien.Le MP10 is equipped with an advanced stage of a function: the ability to analyzing your playing style digital piano by himself. You can, just like on digital pianos else, set the keys on standard parameters such as light and heavy, but you can also let the MP10 evolve what is the best setting for you. You play a series of loud and soft passages, and some time later, the piano offers the best setting for you. Another impressive innovation ... Another problem often encountered and managed to solve Kawai: The absence of sound signal loccasion changing of sound. With the MP10, the new sound starts when you play our first after the change. Similarly, Kawai has a lock button on the panel to dêtre sure you will not change her accidentally during your performance.Dans the field sounds, Kawai uses its Progressive Ultra Harmonic Imaging (Uphie) for provide an incredibly realistic soundstage. In fact, it is unthinkable that lon may lead to something more realistic dencore it. The design of pure tone becomes not a problem since long, but with this very advanced intentional sampling technique, sounds like resonance schedules, cracking, heat, mechanical noises have been added, which completes filing of how an acoustic grand piano sounds really. The MP10 enchanted by his performance at all sound levels, giving genuine freedom artistique.Le MP10 nembarque no internal speakers, which requires having to work with an external sound system or headphones. In both cases, the sound is pure and we note that the audio quality really is. I can not stress enough the fact that the use dun helmet must be made with utmost caution. Never leave the master volume fully open, it could cause damage to your abilities auditives.En regards sound, we find, by section nine different sounds that are divided into three categories. The piano sounds in the piano sections and e. piano styles show clearly what they are intended. The section contains sub sounds ranging from strings to Hybrid Vibraphone. In the operating instructions, there is a beautiful description of each sound. It is also possible to create layers of different sounds to quickly assemble a piano with strings, for example. You can find here the highly efficient: that lon-called field thus values dynamics. This compresses the dynamics of sub section, so that during the superposition dun dun piano or electric piano with his sub, sub sound always sounds so smooth at the back-ground. Still a very good idea of Kawai! At the extreme left is still a pitch wheel and modulation, which makes it possible to change the tone of the notes played for a short time up or down, or of application deffet a kind of vibrato with the modulation. Here too, Kawai thought to bring something Dutil. Imagine this: you must give a solo recital for an attentive audience, and by accident, you get to touch the modulation wheel, it will limpression you play on a piano in a brothel that has not been granted for a very long time. To avoid this, you can always check that the modulation is still active, with a little red light. Dil in a sudden, you know exactly if you can start your recital on heart léger.Permettez me introduce you to yet one last peculiarity quite useful: you can adjust all the sliders on the PM10 standard or wrestling. Quest does this mean? When you change your sound, your cursor is still at its high of the other. And if you adjust the sliders to catch, the volume will change only when the cursor comes to the position of the value stored in the sound. This setting is very interesting for use with the live, because it breaks the ability to avoid unwanted volume ... and undesirable.

Budget

The amount you must pay to acquire the Kawai MP10 amounts to 2390 euro (gross price including VAT recommended) and is very correct. You certainly have a lot for your money!

Conclusion

It seems clear that during the design of the MP10, the team Kawai spent much time learning about the needs and problems the pianists who operate regularly on stage and who are to perform in public. There are a whole series of new highly relevant in this MP10: elements that are likely to become standard for all piano internship in the future. In addition to these innovations, the fantastic keyboard RM3 is part of the absolute top in this segment. Unfortunately, this has an influence on the weight of lengin, that goal has proved quite heavy to carry. But I think most potential customers do sen worry, given the quality of lensemble. In short, leMP10 is a gem of its kind and may well leave its competitors far behind in the case of a partial direct comparison. www.kawai.de (translation: Philip Lepinois)

PRO CONTRA
• RM3 incredible keyboard with Ivory Touch
• useful innovations in the concept
• possible time registration audio in real time via USB!
• wooden side panels
• 31kg!!

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Do you feel like jazz comping or improvising like Bruce Hornsby and the Range? cool whistle

THE WAY IT IS R1.0

Dual Voice: Jazz Grand, volume 7 + Jazz Grand 2, volume 3

1 Basic Settings
1 - 3 Tone control: low +5, mid +5, high +2

2 Virtual Technician
2 - 1 Voicing: mellow2
2 - 2 Damper resonance: 9
2 - 3 String resonance: 9
2 - 4 Key off effect: 5
2 - 5 Touch: light (open lid), normal (half open lid), heavy (closed lid)

3 Key Settings
3 - 4 Layer dynamics: 7

Reverb: Stage

Effect: Delay 3, time 1, depth 1

Last edited by TADutchman; 01/27/11 02:15 AM. Reason: lid simulation added

I think TAD has inspired our V-piano friends on the forum.

Check this out:
V-Piano presets exchange! How many piano sounds can you get?

Would be kinda nice to compare the patches!

Kawai CA-93

'Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable' (Leonard Bernstein)

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by vabejas
I think TAD has inspired our V-piano friends on the forum.
Glad to help those guys out of their writer's block. grin

Would be kinda nice to compare the patches!
Yeah, and also the V-piano's E-pianos and Organs. (not serious) wink
Okay, let's get back to business:

LYRICAL ROUND BLÃœTHNER 1878 R1.0 (CA93 only)

Dual Voice: Concert Grand 2, volume 8 + New Age Piano, volume 2

1 Basic Settings
1 - 3 Tone control: low +4, mid +6, high -4
1 - 7 Tuning: 435 Hz

2 Virtual Technician
2 - 1 Voicing: mellow2
2 - 2 Damper resonance: 7
2 - 3 String resonance: 10
2 - 4 Key off effect: 6
2 - 5 Touch: heavy
2 - 8 Stretch tuning: Wide

3 Key Settings
3 - 4 Layer dynamics: 8

Reverb: Hall 1

Effect: Delay 3, time 2, depth 2

Last edited by TADutchman; 01/28/11 11:39 AM. Reason: changed EQ

W
W
I'd love to have a preset for playing a string quartet on the CA-63. Could this be possible ? I have searched the thread but have found nothing yet.

Have you done something on this yet, TAD ?

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by worov
I'd love to have a preset for playing a string quartet on the CA-63.

A special request? Okay then, for those cases where the HOLLYWOOD STRINGS R1.0 are too much. wink

DUAL VOICE STRING QUARTET R1.0

Dual Voice: Chamber Strings (CA93 only) / String Ensemble (CA63/CA93), volume 8 + Finger Bass, volume 2

1 Basic Settings
1 - 3 Tone control: low +3, mid +6, high -2

2 Virtual Technician

3 Key Settings

Reverb: Stage

Effect: Delay 3, time 1, depth 2

W
W
Thank you, TADutchman ! This is really good.

Another request for you.

The preset you created simulates a string orchestra. Good for several string instruments playing together.

Is it possible to have only one string instrument playing ? For instance, for Bach's Cello Suites or Violin Partitas and Sonatas.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thank you, TADutchman ! This is really good.
You're welcome, worov. smile

Is it possible to have only one string instrument playing ? For instance, for Bach's Cello Suites or Violin Partitas and Sonatas.
Do you mean one type of string instrument, where several of them are playing in unison? If so, then the answer is yes. As you know solo instruments like violin or cello are not available in the voice list...

By the way, I've visited Giorgio Tommasini in Genova back in 2006 and played his Stradivari Solo Violin virtual instrument live on a keyboard at his home. cool Great stuff, but you need like 3 - 5 realtime controllers to get a fairly realistic amount of expression for soloing. Not really suited for a(ny) console type DP.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug06/articles/garritanstrad.htm

W
W
I meant a solo instrument like violin or cello. Maybe these sounds could be found in this Garritan software, from there I could with a flash USB put them in the CA-63. I'll have to look for this.

Thank you for your help.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Given the name, this must be the worst dual voice preset I have ever made, right? grin

DRAMATIC STRING ORCHESTRA R1.0

Dual Voice: Soft Orchestra, volume 8 + Wood Bass, volume 2

1 Basic Settings
1 - 3 Tone control: low +3, mid +6, high -3

2 Virtual Technician

3 Key Settings

Reverb: Hall 1

Effect: Delay 3, time 2, depth 3

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A small update to accomodate the sense of hearing the sound indirectly when playing in church. whistle

8' PIPE ORGAN R1.1 (CA93 only)

Dual Voice: Diapason, volume 6 + 4' Drawbar , volume 4

1 Basic Settings
1 - 3 Tone control: low +5, mid -4, high -2

2 Virtual Technician
2 - 1 Voicing: mellow 2
2 - 5 Touch: off
2 - 6 Temperament: werckmeister

3 Key Settings
3 - 3 Layer octave: -1
3 - 4 Layer dynamics: 6

Reverb: Hall 2

Effects: Delay 3, time 5, depth 5

Given the name, this must be the worst dual voice preset I have ever made, right? grin

DRAMATIC STRING ORCHESTRA R1.0...

No, it's actually one of your better ones! wink
Warm string sound, different than the Hollywood, and very loooong and gradual,thanks to delay3!
Good job TAD! thumb

Kawai CA-93

A small update to accomodate the sense of hearing the sound indirectly when playing in church. whistle

8' PIPE ORGAN R1.1 (CA93 only)

Nice update, thanks, although for my ears the old one was already very classy.

Question for you TAD: when defining Layer Dynamics settings, how do you proceed? I've tried it, but I don't hear much difference between, let's say a 7 and 10 value. Do you have an example where the difference is really audible?
Thanks and regards,
Jasper

Kawai CA-93

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Question for you TAD: when defining Layer Dynamics settings, how do you proceed? I've tried it, but I don't hear much difference between, let's say a 7 and 10 value. Do you have an example where the difference is really audible?

Sure, there are plenty of examples I'll show you later. I'm just back in town, as today I have witnessed the anechoic room and reflection room (15 seconds T60 reverb!) of SLG near Chemnitz, albeit for a non-musical application. eek wink

Reference:
http://www.slg.de.com/slg_daten/downloads/schallschutz/PDF/freifeld_eng.pdf

Page 18 of 31 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 30 31

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission