Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
118 registered (Anita Potter, Abby Pianoman, ando, anotherscott, 36251, Artur Gajewski, 30 invisible), 1508 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1606832 - 01/27/11 03:57 PM Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault!
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Seiji Ozawa was supposed to be the conductor for Martha's concert (Beethoven's first) and he apparently had surgery recently (for a herniated disc!!) and needs a (very) long recovery time. The concert was planned for April.
I kind of expected this when I bought the tickets almost a year ago, because Ozawa was diagnosed with some GI cancer (esophageal?.. ).. Sorry for him and for missing Argerich! Who knows when /if she will ever perform again solo (or near solo).. I bet she is relieved.. For a change, she did not initiate the cancellation. I don't know why they could not get a substitute conductor..

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1606844 - 01/27/11 04:13 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Andromaque]
sarah_elizabeth Offline

Loc: Texas, U.S.
I'm so sorry for you! How disappointing. I hope you can get a chance to hear her again.

#1606857 - 01/27/11 04:31 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Andromaque]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
I find it hard to believe they couldn't find a substitute conductor. I bet she was fussy about who she'd work with.

#1606868 - 01/27/11 04:41 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Andromaque]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
^ That's pretty much always been the case. No one was really surprised about the total cancellation on the Argerich db.

#1606872 - 01/27/11 04:48 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Andromaque]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

We have tickets too, also bought way in advance, on the day that the tix became available last August; I had marked down the date and made sure to be working the phone at the exact moment when the sale began. And I likewise was ready for anything about it. Sorry to hear it of course, but thanks for giving the news -- this is the first I hear it.

#1606888 - 01/27/11 05:04 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Andromaque]
david_a Offline
2000 Post Club Member

If I were Martha Argerich, I probably would not accept a substitute conductor. In fact, that is probably what happened. It's not like there are no conductors available.

#1606906 - 01/27/11 05:23 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Andromaque]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Really? Ozawa or none?? Somebody of her calibre could easily get just about any conductor flown in for the evening or even make use of the NYPhil conductor or James Levine, or her buddy Dutoit etc..
Actually, I think the bigger problem was that this was in a "Japan" series that featured Ozawa and his group (? Japan Music Academy or somrthing of the sort); they also had another -different- concert on the following day that was cancelled.

#1606918 - 01/27/11 05:36 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Andromaque]
reonat Offline

^Well it's not for just one concert. Ozawa has cancelled all of his concerts until august this year.
I had tickets to see her in Paris in april... so disapointed frown

#1606919 - 01/27/11 05:38 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Andromaque]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I hope he is not very ill from his cancer. He may be frail from chemo, but such a long recovery following simple back surgery is inauspicious..

#1606924 - 01/27/11 05:43 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Andromaque]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
I've heard Argerich three or four times including a semi solo recital at Carnegie Hall. She never cancelled any of her concerts that I had tickets for. Probably because she knew I was coming.

#1606929 - 01/27/11 05:47 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Andromaque]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Andromaque
Really? Ozawa or none?? Somebody of her calibre could easily get just about any conductor flown in for the evening....

I don't think that works, especially with someone like her but really to some extent with anyone. It's not just getting someone who's real good and who knows the piece, etc. etc. It's having someone you really want -- in her case probably the person she wants.

#1606935 - 01/27/11 05:54 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Andromaque]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Gee, what a surprise...not.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1607058 - 01/27/11 09:14 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: stores]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: stores

No no......for "not" jokes, you need to pause longer! ha

More like: "Gee, what a surprise..........not."

There was a little tutorial of sorts about that in "Borat." grin

#1607062 - 01/27/11 09:17 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Mark_C]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By: Mark_C

True. Although, for both you guys, I have to ask: what do you have against spaces? You shouldn't connect words by ellipses... without... spaces....

#1607075 - 01/27/11 09:25 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Mark_C]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area

Or:

Gee, what a surprise.
Click to reveal..
NOT!

#1607084 - 01/27/11 09:44 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Damon]
Mark_C Offline

Obviously most definitely there should be a separate thread on exactly how many "dots" we need before "not," and exactly how much bigger the "not" font should be!

Not to mention if there should also be 'spaces.'

Notation, as we know, is important. ha

Obviously most definitely there should be a separate thread on exactly how many "dots" we need before "not," and exactly how much bigger the "not" font should be!

...........NOT!!!

#1607124 - 01/27/11 11:08 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Andromaque]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Funny: I don't hear much sympathy expressed for Ozawa and what he might be going through.

Regards,

#1607140 - 01/27/11 11:45 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: BruceD]
Mark_C Offline

Very true.
For better or (mostly) worse (as per what you said), we're focused on Argerich's performance not happening.

#1607158 - 01/28/11 12:33 AM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Andromaque]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Amongst seasoned concert goers and those who have followed classical music for a long time, Ozawa's physical challenge is a cause to be very sad for.

But realistically, if Argerich had not cancelled, but had agreed to play with another conductor, how many ticket holders would have stayed away because of Ozawa's absence?

#1607186 - 01/28/11 02:05 AM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: argerichfan]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: argerichfan

But realistically, if Argerich had not cancelled, but had agreed to play with another conductor, how many ticket holders would have stayed away because of Ozawa's absence?

None. But that would have nothing to do with any disregard to his misfortune.

#1607224 - 01/28/11 06:20 AM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Andromaque]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: argerichfan

None. But that would have nothing to do with any disregard to his misfortune.

People aren't disregarding it - it's just that it's unavoidable that Ozawa can't be there so there's not much you can say about it. That Argerich isn't playing is totally avoidable and, lamentably, this has come to characterise the late phase of her career - that's why she attracts so much commentary. She is now seen as an unreliable prima donna by many - regardless of her undeniable talent. It's a shame. She needs to get over herself. It's not such a big deal to play with a different conductor. All she needs to do is give some detailed instructions about how she wants the piece to be conducted. No conductor would fight her on an interpretation.

#1607234 - 01/28/11 06:51 AM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Andromaque]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
I agree. Ozawa looked very frail last year (saw a then recent picture). But MA should show more flex.

#1607242 - 01/28/11 07:15 AM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Andromaque]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
thank goodness for you tube.

( I do have a delightful video of Argerich playing a duet with Kissen (I think) in Germany in the 80s. It's somewhere in my house.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1607304 - 01/28/11 09:23 AM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Andromaque]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

apple, she is even more awesome live. Incredible stage presence, fluid seamless technique.. she looks like she is part of the piano and in a very unassuming way.. and she gets screaming groupies and flowers like a rock star..

Ando, be nice!!! She is over herself.. We are just not over her..

#1607306 - 01/28/11 09:27 AM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Andromaque]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
I would LOVE to hear her play.. I don't know that she would make it to Kansas City.

What skill she has.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1607462 - 01/28/11 12:26 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Andromaque]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
and she gets screaming groupies and flowers like a rock star..

That wasn't you throwing pairs of underwear to her, was it?
Quote:
Ando, be nice!!! She is over herself..

Not sure about that one.
Quote:
We are just not over her..

You may be right there.

#1607467 - 01/28/11 12:30 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: ando]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: ando
....That Argerich isn't playing is totally avoidable....

I don't agree.

IMO all you're saying is that you don't think there could be a good reason why she might not wish to play with someone else. Maybe the reason she wanted to play this concert at all was because she wanted to play it with Ozawa. Maybe there aren't very many conductors that she feels comfortable with, or wouldn't find it interesting to work with. And maybe all kinds of other things that would be valid too.

Quote:
....It's not such a big deal to play with a different conductor.

I think you just disqualified yourself as any kind of arbiter on this. smile

#1607491 - 01/28/11 01:03 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Andromaque]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

apple, she is even more awesome live.

I heard her in London several times. You may collectively eat your hearts out.
Quote:
Incredible stage presence, fluid seamless technique.. she looks like she is part of the piano and in a very unassuming way...

My, how that description brings back memories.
Quote:
and she gets screaming groupies and flowers like a rock star...

yeah, I screamed... and those flowers I bought were expensive.

#1607494 - 01/28/11 01:09 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: Mark_C]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

It's not such a big deal to play with a different conductor.

I think you just disqualified yourself as any kind of arbiter on this. smile

ando, I'm going to have to agree with Mark on this. That's really an oversimplification and a bit disrespectful of Argerich. How much do we know about the chemistry between her and her favoured conductors?

#1607496 - 01/28/11 01:10 PM Re: Argerich's concert is cancelled... not her fault! [Re: ando]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

That wasn't you throwing pairs of underwear to her, was it?

No I am not capable of such a class act..
Sheesh ando.. Get with the program..

Afan
Yes I am definitely jealous.. But I just might get to see her in Lugano this year (and I mean see her play and talk to her, thanks to a friend of a friend of a friend!), though info on that is still unclear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What to teach before transferring to a jazz teacher
by hreichgott
11/28/14 10:06 AM
Neo-soul keys on Steinberg's half-price sale
by dire tonic
11/28/14 09:13 AM
Bob Marley - Is this love piano cover
by Danijelcro
11/28/14 07:28 AM
android - QWERTY bluetooth keyboard as a midi piano
by mathy10544
11/28/14 06:30 AM
Black Friday is here - Seen any deals?
by MeghanM
11/28/14 01:16 AM
Forum Stats
77074 Members
42 Forums
159415 Topics
2341764 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission