Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1607879 - 01/29/11 03:02 AM Kurzweil "Fatar" action - comments welcome
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

As I play a new Kurzweil Mark Pro 3i, it does seem to have a very nice weighted feel to it, but perhaps the repetition speed of individual keys are not optimal.

Does anyone else have or play this flagship model, Mark Pro 3i?

And, how does the Italian Fatar action rate, in general?

Any comments regarding specific issues?

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1608074 - 01/29/11 11:44 AM Re: Kurzweil "Fatar" action - comments welcome [Re: pv88]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
Kurzweil makes a nice instrument. Unfortunately, their action manufacturer, Fatar, has a hit-or-miss record.

There are many different models of Fatar actions that Kurzweil uses, some better than others. I'm not sure what action the piano you're referring to uses, but here are some things to take in to consideration:

The TP/10 action found in the K2500X, PC88 and possibly others used weights made of lead. These lead weights were housed in a plastic cradle. The plastic was brittle and the lead expanded and contracted depending on temperature. Combine this with repetitive up and down movement, and the weights would often break free of their housings and begin rattling around inside the keyboard. There was, and still isn't a good fix for this, aside from buying a whole new action. Actions are not affordable. This seemed to affect some batches more than others. I have seen 15-year-old PC88's still in perfect working condition and I have seen others with a completely unusable action. Some of this probably depended on how they were played and handled.

Kurzweil began using steel instead of lead sometime around 1999 when the K2600 came out. My '99 K2600 is still working perfectly with zero problems. What is the age of the piano you are looking at? If it is older than 1999, I would pass (especially considering what all has improved in terms of sound quality).

So there are potential reliability issues. Now, let's talk parts availability.

Fatar has a bad habit of introducing new models of actions and abandoning the old versions, thus cutting off parts supply. I ordered some spare keys off a parts keyboard on eBay for my K2600 just in case, because I found that I can no longer buy replacement keys for my K2600. Mind you, production on this model stopped only a few years ago. Same is also true with the K2500 and PC88.

If this keyboard is already well-used and still has no issues, most likely you will be okay. Fatar's actions generally broke down within the first few years of ownership. There is another thread here about key noise and possible flattening of felts, but all things considered, this is an easy (and expected) problem with any keyboard.

EDIT: For some reason, I was under the impression that you were looking at a used board. Since you have this new model with (hopefully) the TP/50 action, you should be covered for quite some time. Fatar has also seemed to really improve their action found in the PC3 (which uses the TP/50). People seem happy with them, and no failures that I know of have been reported. Hopefully they provide parts longer in to the future. I have a feeling that they will -- generally, when they develop a new action, they will use it in many different keyboards for years and years before moving on to something else.

Edited by LesCharles73 (01/29/11 11:49 AM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (A Guy, Akshay, AZ_Astro, ando, 36251, 43 invisible), 1685 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153577 Topics
2250796 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Midi controller with a good keybed under 1000$
by Ov3rload
04/19/14 11:55 AM
Bösendorfer vs Steingraeber
by Keith D Kerman
04/19/14 11:51 AM
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
04/19/14 09:42 AM
Tuning stability problems...
by Grotriman
04/19/14 09:20 AM
What does this sign mean
by ryderb
04/19/14 08:46 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission