2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 14 invisible), 1,989 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BD76
Gosh I hope she doesn't cancel her March performance at Walt Disney Concert Hall. I've already bought tickets! Hopefully Dudamel won't have any herniated disks....

Keep your fingers crossed and don't hold your breath...she's notorious for canceling (let the wind be blowing the wrong direction...insert rolled eyes here).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Mark_C
The answers to all the questions you just asked are implicit in the post that you were replying to.

Let me add, though, that I could have made my points in a nicer way -- and I'm sorry I didn't. All I mean to say is that there could be aspects here that you weren't taking into account. I just got carried away because I was feeling defensive on Argerich's behalf -- partly because of my regard for her, and partly because I myself can identify very much with this kind of "particularity."

Ok, no problem, I can accept that you see Ms Argerich differently than I do. We can agree to disagree. For the record, I think she's a marvellous talent when she does show up. smile

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A few points are worth emphasizing:
1- It was Ozawa who cancelled all his appearances in the US and Europe; Argerich was only in a couple of them.
2- In 2010, she cancelled rarely, once for family reasons (replaced by Ivo Pogorelich). On other occasions her concerts were cancelled becasue her performing partner was ill (Nelson Freire) or involved in a court case (Pletnev).
3- She has melanoma, now metastatic, that required significant treatment. (She also gave a benefit concert at Carnegie Hall in gratitude for her so far successful treatment).
4- She is 70 years old this year
5- She is a marvellous artist who has been incredibly generous to her colleagues and who has done more than any musician I know of, to support and launch careers of talented and unknown musicians.
6- She is a living legend
7- Yes she can be elusive and particular. Nobody is clear as to her reasons for cancellations other than some of the obvious ones. She has described at times what sounds like stage fright especially when performing alone, despite her remarkable facility.

Regardless, she should not be dismissed as a start-up whose teacher forgot to tell her about commitment and who might need lessons in professionalism. Thus, my and others' peeves with ando's humble comments..

BD76: Chances are excellent that she will make the LA concerts (her only ones remaining in the US for 2011). She looked well during the Chopin competition (where she was a juror and performed with Maria Joao Pires as well as playing Chopin's first concerto in honor of her teacher Gulda) and she has appeared in multiple concerts since then without any cancellations.
You are likely in for a treat..

Last edited by Andromaque; 01/29/11 09:32 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I've never had to experience an Argerich cancellation for the three or four times I've seen her.

I do think to some extent there is what I'd call a "John McEnroe" approach if any musician has numerous cancellations where the reason seems less than compelling. I'm not talking about exhibiting a nasty personality, but that McEnroe knew he could get away with court antics because he was one of the best players/biggest draws in tennis at the time. Similarly, I wonder if Argerich, or any musician, would cancel as much as some claim she does if she wasn't a living legend.

I'd be interested, if anyone really knows, in how many performances she has cancelled(not where the conductor cancelled and she followed suit)in the last five years or ten year where the reason was less than compelling. My impression is that is hasn't been that many, but I don't have the figures.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/29/11 10:57 AM.
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
....I do think to some extent there is what I'd call a "John McEnroe" approach if any musician has numerous cancellations where the reason seems less than compelling. I'm not talking about exhibiting a nasty personality, but that McEnroe knew he could get away with court antics because he was one of the best players/biggest draws in tennis at the time. Similarly, I wonder if Argerich, or any musician, would cancel as much as some claim she does if she wasn't a living legend....

Absolutely -- and I think that's a good comparison. I think it's safe to say you can't get away with it without being extraordinary, and if you know you can, maybe you do it. I do think there's a difference between the two, in the sense that I can well imagine Argerich's stuff being inseparably connected to her greatness in her field but I can't similarly for McEnroe, maybe just because I don't know tennis as well.

My main wonderment -- and criticism -- about this whole thing is, why concerts like this get announced and ticketed so far in advance. There are various reasons I can think of, and none of them seem to work. We could say that it's to ensure a good sale -- but we know it's not necessary for that; if they announced the concert (let's say) just a month in advance, it would still sell out immediately. We could say it's to allow the performers to plan and rehearse for it, but.....they could do that anyway -- they could plan on it themselves, including with the orchestra, having Carnegie hold the date, with everyone knowing that if it turns out they're really going to go ahead with it, then it can be officially announced and ticketed, with the certainty that it would still sell out (immediately).

I know that it's fairly routine to schedule such concerts so far in advance, that it would be unusual to start doing it as I said, and that even if it looked all-systems-go a month in advance there could still turn out to be a cancellation. But with a performer as 'particular' (or whatever) as Argerich, with their advanced age, and with their health issues, I really wondered why it had been publicly announced and ticketed so far in advance. It seems simply to worsen the odds, needlessly.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
....I do think to some extent there is what I'd call a "John McEnroe" approach if any musician has numerous cancellations where the reason seems less than compelling. I'm not talking about exhibiting a nasty personality, but that McEnroe knew he could get away with court antics because he was one of the best players/biggest draws in tennis at the time. Similarly, I wonder if Argerich, or any musician, would cancel as much as some claim she does if she wasn't a living legend....

Absolutely -- and I think that's a good comparison. I think it's safe to say you can't get away with it without being extraordinary, and if you know you can, maybe you do it. I do think there's a difference between the two, in the sense that I can well imagine Argerich's stuff being inseparably connected to her greatness in her field but I can't similarly for McEnroe, maybe just because I don't know tennis as well.

My main wonderment -- and criticism -- about this whole thing is, why concerts like this get announced and ticketed so far in advance. There are various reasons I can think of, and none of them seem to work. We could say that it's to ensure a good sale -- but we know it's not necessary for that; if they announced the concert (let's say) just a month in advance, it would still sell out immediately. We could say it's to allow the performers to plan and rehearse for it, but.....they could do that anyway -- they could plan on it themselves, including with the orchestra, having Carnegie hold the date, with everyone knowing that if it turns out they're really going to go ahead with it, then it can be officially announced and ticketed, with the certainty that it would still sell out (immediately).

I know that it's fairly routine to schedule such concerts so far in advance, that it would be unusual to start doing it as I said, and that even if it looked all-systems-go a month in advance there could still turn out to be a cancellation. But with a performer as 'particular' (or whatever) as Argerich, with their advanced age, and with their health issues, I really wondered why it had been publicly announced and ticketed so far in advance. It seems simply to worsen the odds, needlessly.

You CANNOT be SERIOUS!!!

wink

I often wonder why artists cancel frequently, too.

Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
I often wonder why artists cancel frequently, too.

How about if you don't feel you can give it your best?

For most of us, that's not a good reason. For someone like Argerich -- with an all-time world-class standard that she presumably wants to meet -- arguably it is.

I had tickets for this concert. And I'm glad the concert isn't going forward if, for whatever reason, she felt it wasn't going to represent her as she wished, or, as I said before, if she just isn't into doing the piece with someone else -- which amounts to the same thing, because if she's not into it, it's not going to be Argerich.

With people like that, it isn't just a thing of "go ahead and play the program," nor should it be. Maybe some people feel they're paying just to "see" these performers and to hear the pieces get played. I don't, and I feel pretty sure the performers don't.

Online Content

You CANNOT be SERIOUS!!!
I was not a very skilled driver of the tennis team at Trinity School. McEnroe once suggested that I used the gas pedal like it wss the piano pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekQ_Ja02gTY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j0eqZKTjpk&feature=related

But at least he mellowed out later in life:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkq6ZsYqd5o&feature=related

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

You CANNOT be SERIOUS!!!
I was not a very skilled driver of the tennis team at Trinity School. McEnroe once suggested that I used the gas pedal like it wss the piano pedal.

Haha, the Lang Lang of tennis.

For the benefit of anyone not intimately familiar with tennis history..... smile

Speaking of her being particular, there was this other discussion we had, about the page turner. Unfortunately it looks like the video has since been made 'private.'

I was with Martha on that too, although it's impossible not to feel bad for the page turner.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon

You CANNOT be SERIOUS!!!

Haha, the Lang Lang of tennis.

Yep. I always thought he was an a$$ too.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

and in Kansas City news.. affecting me because I had tickets and was REALLY looking forward to this concert....

"Concert Cancellation
Radu Lupu, piano
Saturday, January 29 | Folly Theater| 8:00 pm

frown

I was looking forward to hearing him play Schumann.. I can exchange my ticket to hear Garrick Ohlsson (in March)

smile

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Oh No!! Did they say why? I got to see him last year here and enjoyed it tremendously!
Is there a replacement? what was he supposed to play?

He was supposed to play Schumann. I really love Schumann. really love his music.

Bunte Blaetter opus 99 - I purposefully did not listen ahead of time. I've never heard it and was looking forward to a musical surprise. I usually study the music before I hear it.

Papillons.. I am pretty familiar with this music and play around with it often..

Schubert sonata in B flat. A piece I purposefully also have avoided.

I love the way Radu plays. I have been watching him on you tube, he is so strong, so focused and brilliantly articulate. Lupu reminds me of a strong loving uncle.

blah blah blah. I will never be a music critic.

He had a sudden family emergency. they sent notice on Friday... so no replacement. I should have given them my number. I was downtown anyway. (heh)

the tickets for Ohlsson will probably be snatched up,.. there are a couple other pianists coming tho.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission