2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 9 invisible), 1,443 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Palindrome
It isn't touch typing, we agree, but it's like touch typing. I don't read well, but I virtually never look at the keys (in fact, if not playing from score, I usually play with my eyes closed.) My first teacher insisted that I not look at the keys "They're not going anywhere! They're always in the same place! Don't look!" and I can't thank him enough for it (especially since he's dead).
Although your teacher probably wanted to get you out of the habit of looking at the keys too much while reading music, I'd point out that virtually all the greatest pianists do look at the keyboard a fair amount of the time when playing from memory, and Horowitz does this to the extreme.

So I don't think being able to play without looking at the keys at all should be a goal, although it is useful within reason(one does not want to have to be continually looking at the keyboard) to have this skill when sight reading or whenever one uses the score.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It just happens with practice, just like you learned to walk, to read or to speak. Don't feel discouraged if it sounds difficult right now. Keep practicing and you will get there... smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

M
M
what keys?

Originally Posted by MathTeacher
In other words, did you develop that ability by forcing yourself or did it come naturally from years of practising?

Neither. There's no forcing necessary, but it doesn't necessarily come naturally.

I take my students through what I did. I started out with easy material that fits within a 5-finger pattern. (These days, I use Kevin Olson's "A Perfect Start" series and a variety of other 5-finger pattern collections.) Once you're proficient with that kind of material, you move on to exercises that get you out of a 5-finger position. This includes extensions, contractions, substitutions, and crossings.

It also helps to have a great deal of technical proficiency and practice one's scales and arpeggios without looking at their hands.

Also, it should be noted that pianists do have to look down sometimes. But the score needs to be the "home base," and it's easier to keep your place in the music if you glance down with your eyes and keep your head relatively still.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I, too,like to start with the five finger, open position patterns.. and I have the student travel in fifths through the Circle, though, only five notes of a complete scale are explored. These five finger positions do have a benefit of encouraging a "feel" for the keyboard, and a sense of space and geography within smaller bounds. I also have the student play these in contrary motion, in legato, eventually adding staccato.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
So I don't think being able to play without looking at the keys at all should be a goal, although it is useful within reason(one does not want to have to be continually looking at the keyboard) to have this skill when sight reading or whenever one uses the score.
It is extremely useful not only for sight reading but for times when both hands have to leap and you don't have time to look at both hands.

Best regards,

Deborah
Online Content
Originally Posted by gooddog
It is extremely useful not only for sight reading but for times when both hands have to leap and you don't have time to look at both hands.
Did I say it wasn't useful?

I said the goal shouldn't be (as some feel it is)to be able to play without looking at the keys at all because it's not necessary and because pianists don't play that way.

Most pianists at all levels look at their hands at least somewhat during sight reading and when making jumps. If one is making a jump where one can't look at both hands, one normally looks at one destination place and then at the other or at only the harder hand jump.

For me it's not a matter of knowing where all the keys are, that I believe would be impossible. It's a matter of knowing the relative distance between keys. If I have to make an octave jump I've conditioned myself through much repetition, to know what an Octave feels like. So it's knowing where the key you want to go to is in relation to the key (or Keys) you're currently playing. As you come to an interval jump in the piece repeat that interval over and over again, eventually you will be able to make that jump without physically looking at the keyboard. I've got a piece I'm working on now where both hands make large jumps in opposing directions at the same time, I've repeated those passages one hand at a time enough that now I can put the hands together and make the jumps by feel instead of looking.

Last edited by RayE; 01/30/11 05:12 PM.

Retired Army reserve Bandsman who now plays for the Joy of Music!!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gooddog
Did I say it wasn't useful?
Oh gee. Pianoloverus, I wasn't arguing with you. I was adding to what you said.

Best regards,

Deborah
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
not having read the tsunami of responses, I would only say: it's a matter of education, from the age of (probably)5, I could read notes, that is before getting to know the alfabet, how difficult can it get?

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
not having read the tsunami of responses, I would only say: it's a matter of education, from the age of (probably)5, I could read notes, that is before getting to know the alfabet, how difficult can it get?

The question was not to know what the notes are, but how your fingers can find the notes if you don't look at them.

T
T
To use your own words, it comes "naturally from years of practising". And also lots of mistakes!

I call it "knowing the geography of the keyboard". I can't think of any way except practise, practise, and more practise. Scales, arpeggios and "stride" bass lines as in Scott Joplin help. Just doodling bass lines in octaves at the keyboard with your eyes shut counts as practise.

Sight-reading stuff within say 2 octaves up and down from middle C is not too bad - hymn tunes, the Bach 371 chorales, the WTC, and heaps of other music lies in that compass. Outside that range, one is into lots of ledger lines and "8va..." signs and the going gets a bit harder. I find myself even now sometimes writing "F#" or D or whatever in the bass line until it gets into the finger memory.

A perennially hopeful amateur!
Pianos: Boston GP178,
Currently attempting: Bach: WTC I/1,5;II/12; Chopin Polonaise in A; Etude 10/5; Brahms Op 118 No 2 Intermezzo in D; Scarlatti Sonata L23.
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Sight reading is even worse on an organ. The music is placed even higher than on a piano and you have your feet do deal with in addition.

To use your own words, it comes "naturally from years of practising". And also lots of mistakes!

I think that pretty much sums it up for everyone.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission