Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
95 registered (A Guy, Auver, Andre Lev, Barly, anotherscott, Al LaPorte, 32 invisible), 1292 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#160988 - 02/21/08 02:16 PM How Many Technician's Does it Take to String a Piano?
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
How Many Technician's Does It Take To String a Piano?[/b]

Just kidding \:\)

It takes 10 musicians armed with fishing line, Popsicle sticks, and plumbing tape to play the bowed piano.

This is a "Bowed Piano".
© From NPR

February 5, 2008 - What happens when you take a perfectly good invention — one that's been around for several hundred years — and completely rethink it? That's what an enterprising musician and composer named Stephen Scott has done with the grand piano.

For the past 30 years, Scott has been exploring, obsessing over, and pushing the sound of the piano far beyond its traditional boundaries, creating a new kind of instrument he calls the bowed piano.

To get a sense of what the bowed piano is, imagine a grand piano with the lid lifted off. Ten musicians crowd around, leaning over the innards of the instrument, like a team of surgeons performing an operation.

Scott says you won't find any traditional-looking bows — like the ones violinists use — in his ensemble.

"The primary sound is produced by a bow of nylon fish-line, which is rosined, and that's just threaded under the piano string and across it. There's another kind of bow, which is a stick of wood which has horse hair affixed to it, and that's rubbed against the strings to produce a short, percussive sound."

The bowed-piano ensemble also uses guitar picks, Popsicle sticks, tongue depressors, and even rubber plumbing tape to expand the palette of sound colors for Scott's compositions.

The Rest of the Article
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit)
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#160989 - 02/21/08 03:52 PM Re: How Many Technician's Does it Take to String a Piano?
bitWrangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Central TX
OK, call me grumpy or just "missing something", but this hardly seems like "completely rethinking" the piano. After all, my son has already "completely rethunk" the piano by going a step further than our intrepid Mr. Scott by utilizing Matchbox cars, Transformers, and in a sign of his range of empathetic skills, stuffed dolls. Little could I appreciate that the time I caught, um I mean "observed", him having his stuffed Beethoven doll "play" the piano by actually hitting the strings themselves that he was simply pushing the piano far beyond it's boundaries. Unfortunately, and as is the bane for all true artists, his audience could not fully appreciate the magnitude and originality of the work and his reward for innovation was to spend 5 minutes in his sanctuary to further ponder the context of his actions against the backdrop of a more rigid and rule based society.

#160990 - 02/21/08 04:29 PM Re: How Many Technician's Does it Take to String a Piano?
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hi Frank, interesting post.

I guess it is fine to want to do something out of the ordinary from time to time, but when I want to play my fiddle, I get out my fiddle and bow and cut down on “Orange Blossom Special” \:D .

When I want to play my piano I sit down and play it the way it is supposed to be played.

Interesting concept though.

Best regards,

Rickster

#160991 - 02/21/08 05:49 PM Re: How Many Technician's Does it Take to String a Piano?
mdsdurango Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Durango Colorado
Cool!
I like it.
I would never let them near MY piano but I think it sounds great!

MIke

#160992 - 02/21/08 06:18 PM Re: How Many Technician's Does it Take to String a Piano?
HappyGoLucky Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
I particularly like their matching black blouses to complete their "ensemble" performance.

Virgina (from Virginia)

#160993 - 02/21/08 07:49 PM Re: How Many Technician's Does it Take to String a Piano?
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Terry Riley has written for this group. Our own "Realplayer" will be playing some Riley compositions in concert himself quite soon

Shameless Plug (page down to March 7,2008):

http://www.roulette.org/events/2008_03.html
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#160994 - 02/22/08 01:35 AM Re: How Many Technician's Does it Take to String a Piano?
faucon Offline

Loc: Missouri USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by bitWrangler:
OK, call me grumpy or just "missing something", but this hardly seems like "completely rethinking" the piano. After all, my son has already "completely rethunk" the piano by going a step further than our intrepid Mr. Scott by utilizing Matchbox cars, Transformers, and in a sign of his range of empathetic skills, stuffed dolls. Little could I appreciate that the time I caught, um I mean "observed", him having his stuffed Beethoven doll "play" the piano by actually hitting the strings themselves that he was simply pushing the piano far beyond it's boundaries. Unfortunately, and as is the bane for all true artists, his audience could not fully appreciate the magnitude and originality of the work and his reward for innovation was to spend 5 minutes in his sanctuary to further ponder the context of his actions against the backdrop of a more rigid and rule based society. [/b]
This conjures up such a cute image---if you're not the owner of the piano! \:\) There are lots of ways to push other instruments "far beyond (their) traditional boundaries", but I have mixed feelings about such endeavors. Air compressors could be hooked up to trumpets or trombones; a harp could be played with dulcimer hammers or dental instruments. To what point do the absurd and the creative overlap?

#160995 - 02/24/08 12:12 AM Re: How Many Technician's Does it Take to String a Piano?
Noah Frere Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
OK, call me grumpy or just "missing something", but this hardly seems like "completely rethinking" the piano. After all, my son has already "completely rethunk" the piano by going a step further than our intrepid Mr. Scott by utilizing Matchbox cars, Transformers, and in a sign of his range of empathetic skills, stuffed dolls. Little could I appreciate that the time I caught, um I mean "observed", him having his stuffed Beethoven doll "play" the piano by actually hitting the strings themselves that he was simply pushing the piano far beyond it's boundaries. Unfortunately, and as is the bane for all true artists, his audience could not fully appreciate the magnitude and originality of the work and his reward for innovation was to spend 5 minutes in his sanctuary to further ponder the context of his actions against the backdrop of a more rigid and rule based society.

you said it.

#160996 - 02/24/08 08:15 AM Re: How Many Technician's Does it Take to String a Piano?
Starting Over Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Interesting post Frank. I wonder if the piano could be played normally at the same time as all the bowing and plucking is going on. That would add to the cacophony. The overall effect is quite distinctive in character, almost verging on a synthesizer sound at times. Actually, I'm less critical of the method, which looks like it could be fun for the ensemble players, than I am of the monotonous New Age compositions themselves ;\) .

Let's hear some Mozart or Beethoven arranged for bowed piano! \:D

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Saint-Saens 2nd concerto - best edition (fingering)?
by Barly
11/24/14 07:09 AM
Music reading apps for iPad that use mic
by Artur Gajewski
11/24/14 03:02 AM
About Roland's PHA4 STANDARD and F-130R
by Yussnan84
11/24/14 12:55 AM
Call me irresponsible....
by harpon
11/23/14 11:17 PM
Yamaha used U1/U3 or new B3?
by blackjack1777
11/23/14 10:41 PM
Forum Stats
77024 Members
42 Forums
159309 Topics
2340203 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission