Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 41 of 47 < 1 2 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 46 47 >
Topic Options
#1534714 - 10/13/10 02:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Undone]
pianoist d'amore Offline

Loc: El Macero, CA, USA
Thanks for your reply, Undone. Your Moonlight Sonata is very impressive.

My piano teacher is very good at classical, and I love to play classical pieces best. I'm sure he can coach me all the way up to grade 8 with just classical pieces. But somehow I just feel it is a bad idea to skip the rich variety of music genres that a well-organized course book covers... Or maybe I could fit in these pieces as my sight-reading exercises, and like you said, jump in here and there as I go?

It's probably a mental thing. I don't feel confident enough if I do not go through a basic course like Alfred - as if there would always be holes in my foundational training. But I guess you are right - my teacher deserves more trust from me...

Originally Posted By: Undone

WOW! That’s some pretty amazing progress for only two months of piano. I’m one of the one’s who had some lessons and played piano many, many years ago and then, upon “re-starting” my study of piano, went back to the very beginning and worked my way through the Alfred books page by page. I feel I have benefitted from this and wouldn’t feel bad about recommending it as one way to go unless the individual was working with a teacher, as you are.

In this case I’d recommend sticking with what your teacher suggests. As you do so, feel free to post to any of the Alfred book threads. If you’ve been working on a piece from book 2, you can post about it in the book 2 thread . Next you’re on a piece that seems similar in difficulty to the one’s in book 3, post here about it. Once you start doing so, you may find that one book or another is “hot” at the moment and that there is a lot of discussion going on there. In that case, you may want to keep posting to that thread. As long as it feels like the things being discussed relate to you and the things you are currently working on, feel free to post there.

Undone

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1535169 - 10/14/10 07:15 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: pianoist d'amore]
Undone Offline

Loc: USA, CT
Panoist d’amore – Sounds like a good plan to me. Just remember that your teacher works for you (while you’re working for your teacher) and don’t be afraid to mention these things to him. I bet that even though his interests are more toward classical, he can still help you mix in other musical genres during your lessons if you let him know that you would like to do so. And as for the foundational training, he should definitely be seeing to it that you get that; probably even better than what is presented in Alfreds.

You said that you’ve only been at this for two months, it may take a bit longer than that to really get a feel for how things are going with this teacher and how well your instruction matches your expectations and desires. Don’t be shy about talking with your teacher about these things, just don’t talk your whole lesson time away. smile

Undone

#1537940 - 10/18/10 11:30 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Undone]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

Loc: Florida
Hi Everyone.

I've been in book three for a while now and I'm working on "The Unfinished Symphony". I'm having a hard time with the tremolo part. Anyone have any tips for playing an even tremolo?

#1538601 - 10/19/10 07:08 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: HeirborneGroupie]
Undone Offline

Originally Posted By: HeirborneGroupie
Hi Everyone.

I've been in book three for a while now and I'm working on "The Unfinished Symphony". I'm having a hard time with the tremolo part. Anyone have any tips for playing an even tremolo?

Hi HeirborneGroupie – “Unfinished Symphony” is a fun piece, I think there is a recording of my attempt at it on page one of this thread. I wish I could provide some tips on playing the tremolos but I guess this is where a teacher comes in handy, one who has experience not only in doing, but in explaining how to do it. I remember having difficulties with the tremolos on this piece and I remember working on just the tremolos by themselves for a while. I execute them by locking my fingers in position and rapidly turning my hand at the wrist. I also found that recording and then listening to the results is helpful as they tend to sound more even then they feel while playing them. If anyone has more or better (or more better smile ) advice, I’d love to hear it too.

Undone

#1538643 - 10/19/10 09:01 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Undone]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

Loc: Florida
Thanks for the reply Undone. I did listen to your performance of the piece and aspire to play it as well as you do.

I guess tremolos just take a lot of repetition to get down. I did talk to my teacher about them and she said that tremolos are not necessarily perfectly even. Mine are still terrible though. frown

#1539804 - 10/20/10 11:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Hey, how's everyone doing? I'm still playing and pracicing alot but I haven't posted in a while.

#1539809 - 10/20/10 11:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Help needed!

In the Raindrop prelude, during the c sharp minor segment, there is an F key with a double sharp sign. Does this mean play "G regular"? For some reason, this doesn't sound all that great to my ears when I play it, but what do I know...

#1540000 - 10/21/10 07:16 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Undone Offline

Hey Waltz, TTigg told us you died. (just kidding)

Other than to agree that “yes, an F double sharp is the same as G natural”, I can’t help with whether or not this is correct in Raindrop. I haven’t tried tackling that one yet.

Undone

#1540220 - 10/21/10 12:39 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

LOL, no such luck smile

#1581584 - 12/21/10 05:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
piano4 Offline

Loc: Hampton, Virginia
I'm still playing "Moonlight" I've gotten on page 4 in another book that has the same arrangement as what is in Alfred 3. Plus, I am playing in a band plus working so... keeping busy and having fun:-)

Hope everyone has a Happy Holidays!

#1581969 - 12/22/10 07:08 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Undone Offline

Good to hear from you Piano4 and thanks for pulling this thread up out of the depths. For me, the top of page 3 was the most difficult to get under control, though there is one section on page 4 that was next in line for “most difficult”. I’m glad to hear your still at it.

I’ve been working on some Christmas music which has cut into my Book 3 time. True to form I decided I try on work on something that was rather challenging for me and now I’m getting close to being able to play it through, but I doubt it will be done by Christmas (always a day late and dollar short).

In book 3 I’m currently working on Toccata in Dm (always loved that piece – when played on a church organ) and after that I just have Fur Elise then I’ll have completed every piece in the series. smile

Undone

#1583835 - 12/25/10 01:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
piano4 Offline

Hi Undone!
It's good to hear from you too! It took a while to find this thread and I admit that work ( which is a very good thing!) has kept me off from this site.

I started pulling out Christmas music, especially pieces I had forgotten and since I am trying(?) to put together a band, I have gotten some pop pieces to work on.

It will be good since I have these next four days off and a fairly slow period, so I can get to playing. Thank you for the "heads up on page4. This piece is tough but I'm determined to learn it:-)

"Fur Elise" gave me a bit of fit, particularly page 3. I started at one time on the "Prelude in A Major" but left that for "Moonlight"

Oh,"Toccata" is Awesome on organ!!! I have "organ voice" on my clavinova and it gives me chills! I also have the registration for organ for this piece and I am going to try very hard to remember and go over parts so that I can play this on our church organ!

I'm with you with the "dollar short and day late" theory(smile)
Maybe, by this time next Christmas, I can put this on recital.

Have a very happy holidays Take care!

#1585124 - 12/27/10 04:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Undone Offline

Piano4, WOW! You not only have access to but know how to play a church organ (one with the foot pedal/keyboard and pipes and everything?) I’m jealous! I too have the organ music for Toccata and Fugue and had tried to figure out a way to play it on a single keyboard once a long time ago before my piano “rebirth” but I never really managed to play the whole thing through (I do like the Fugue part though and will have to see if I still have that music once I finish the Alfred version).

I guess even M. Mouse and Uncle Walt enjoyed this piece, seeing as how they used it to kick off the movie Fantasia. smile

Hope you enjoy your time off and that you're able to make that "band thing" happen.

Undone

#1588696 - 01/01/11 09:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Cyborg Offline

Loc: Charleston, SC
Well, my teacher has finally got me working out of book 3 again. I've just started "Shenandoah". I've joined MOYD 2011 and I want to finish book 3 this year. So I'm making a pledge to practice daily, work hard and wrap this book up.

#1589004 - 01/02/11 12:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Undone Offline

Good to see you back in book 3 Cyborg. I found the MOYD to be a good motivator. There were quite a few days last year when I probably would have skipped practice but then I would think of the MOYD and remember that the only requirement is to spend at least ten minutes practicing, so go ahead and sit at the keyboard intending to do "the least I could do". Then I’d wind up spending at least a half hour or more practicing without giving it any further thought.

I too hope to finish Book 3 this year, and seeing as how I only have one and a half pieces to go, I think I just may do it! smile

Undone

#1589074 - 01/02/11 03:26 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
piano4 Offline

Hi Undone! Oh believe me, I am taking baby steps on the organ but I have had lots of help from folks who have shown me how to place myself at the organ. Right now, I know how to go from C to G with my left foot! But the keyboards ( or the manuals as they are called)are pretty easy.
I guess when I finally finish "Moonlight", I'll be "finished" book 3, but there are some pieces I will go back to so, I know that you can do this:-)

And Cyborg, I definitely agree. MOYD has kept me on track even if it is 10 minutes! Happy New Year to both of you and let's hanging there!

#1589710 - 01/03/11 02:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Cyborg Offline

Undone,

I think you will finish this year. smile

I wanted to finish Book 3 in 2010 but I didn't have my best practice year and we didn't work as much out of it as I thought. I think this year may be my best year for me.

Piano4,

Yes, MOYD is definitely a good motivator. I did it one year but I don't think I finished but it was my best practice year due to the extra motivation. So I'm definitely looking forward to it.

#1593498 - 01/08/11 06:34 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Checking back in after a year long break (from Book #3 not piano) smile

Am going to be scanning in the book #3 so I can have this on the iPad along with all my other sheet music (currently have 90% of it loaded up!) I did begin #3 but only got a short ways in before I decided I wanted to just play instead.

Will report back on progress as it moves slowly towards it's completion. I'm hoping to get it done by Xmas but we'll see how it goes.

So how's everyone doing then?

- Steve

Edited by TTigg (01/08/11 06:34 PM)

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1593596 - 01/08/11 09:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
wj3 Offline

Loc: Salem, Or
I havent started book three yet... got a long way to go. But I did get an Ipad for Xmas. I want to scan in my music too. I have multi function printer and scanner. I was wondering if that would be good enough to scan in the music?

2010 Roland KR-115m
Alfreds AIO Level 2:
Working on (Simply Joplin) Solace, Peacherine Rag, A Breeze from Alabama:, (Burgmuller) Progres, Limpid stream.

#1593802 - 01/09/11 09:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: wj3]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wj3
I havent started book three yet... got a long way to go. But I did get an Ipad for Xmas. I want to scan in my music too. I have multi function printer and scanner. I was wondering if that would be good enough to scan in the music?

Should be that's what I used., it's time consuming but well worth it once they're all in there. I have a Brother large (A3) one. I used the document feeder and scanned 50 pages at a time (both sides).

Then made PDFs using Adobe and the images I had made. Not sure if that was the best way since my PDFs are not technically search-able so I may try other options later on (for the larger books)

With the new update to iBooks I now have all my music organized into different categories also
- Steve

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1593900 - 01/09/11 11:45 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Cyborg Offline

That is a great idea for using an iPad. I may need to get one now. grin

#1593923 - 01/09/11 12:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Cyborg]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Cyborg
That is a great idea for using an iPad. I may need to get one now. grin

That was the main reason I got mine (as my 40th present). I have all 4 Einaudi books + all my other sheet music, some single ones (mostly Film & TV), Alfred stuff, theory, scales, Circle of 5ths etc.. - LOVE it for this use alone.

I've also got all of the songs I'm interested in loaded on the iPod portion of the iPad so I can have them playing whilst I'm learning.

Aside to this I also have ForScore which I am using to house my current repertoire and this also has the ability to link/load up the song from the iPod section.

- Steve

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1594481 - 01/10/11 07:07 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Undone Offline

Now if you could just hook up some sort of foot peddle to do the page turns (forward and back)...

Undone

#1594514 - 01/10/11 08:47 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Undone]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Now if you could just hook up some sort of foot peddle to do the page turns (forward and back)...
Undone

Air-Touch has a bluetooth unit that does just that :evil: smile
- Steve

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1595476 - 01/11/11 04:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
piano4 Offline

Oh gee... I am so behind with Ipads! Doing pretty good so far, still working on one piece, "Moonlight' and few others too!

Have a good January all!

#1609877 - 01/31/11 09:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Cyborg Offline

I finished "Shenandoah" on January 17th. I was assigned "Jazz Ostinato" at my lesson last week.

#1610085 - 02/01/11 07:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Undone Offline

I've basically finished Toccata in Dm (though I'm still futzing with it) and am about to move on to my final book 3 piece Fur Elise.

Undone

#1610116 - 02/01/11 09:01 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Undone]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've basically finished Toccata in Dm (though I'm still futzing with it) and am about to move on to my final book 3 piece Fur Elise.

Undone

Great stuff Undone thumb
I'm looking forward to picking back up where I left off (just over 1yr break) after initially starting and then parking #3..
- Steve

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1610267 - 02/01/11 01:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I'm probably years from Book 3 at the rate I learn, but I can't wait till I get to some of those pieces. I hope you will all post recordings.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1610276 - 02/01/11 01:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: mom3gram]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mom3gram
I'm probably years from Book 3 at the rate I learn, but I can't wait till I get to some of those pieces. I hope you will all post recordings.

ME too. Im halfway through book 2 and I'm so ready/anxious/eager to get to book 2 and other pieces that it is hard for me to focus on what I am working on now, which is kind of sad. The process takes so long. I wish it were instant

Page 41 of 47 < 1 2 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 46 47 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
110 registered (Anticlock, Amaranth, aesop, anotherscott, AaronM, 29 invisible), 1095 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75979 Members
42 Forums
157133 Topics
2307674 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:26 PM
Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
by dschwoyer
Yesterday at 08:22 PM
Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas
by ColinD
Yesterday at 07:29 PM
First time purchasing an acoustic piano, need some help.
by Lockon52
Yesterday at 07:14 PM
Yamaha Clavinova CVP-83s Parts needed
by Jason Solis
Yesterday at 06:57 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission