2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 166 of 187 1 2 164 165 166 167 168 186 187
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
It is very clear TLT for our purposes. But we need to be very clear on what you're hearing. I exclude in this discussion anything at very fast tempos since it is impossible to discern a swung eighth there. So if you're referring to 250bpm then I will not disagree with you.

For normal swing tunes though this is the explanation.

The exact eighth note divisions are |1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + |

The eighth notes DO NOT LAND ON ANY OF THOSE. Listen to the drummer's ride cymbal since that defines the beats.

A drummer plays Ding - Ding-A-Ding - Ding-A-Ding - Ding-A-Ding on the ride cymbal.

The sync happens with the "A" which is not on those beats. The exact beats are the dings. I call "A" a swung eighth position or Erskine's "Uh" in the video.

Beginners play the extreme triplet which is Downbeat (exactly on top) + the delayed offbeat (Swung eighth position). Experienced players drag the downbeat as well. Hard swingers drag less, straight players drag more. But the drag exists.

If I recorded this loop a few times where you can keep track of the ding-a-ding in slow motion, it is very clear that the dings stand out with no hit. I can see the waveforms so there's no dispute.

It is very hard to hear this so you may think you're hearing the same thing but even I am only recognizing it now and I've been listening (and slowing down) a while.

In the other thread, Scott already recorded the effect of this and recording his own playing and even timed his own drags against the beat. Scott has a 'hard swing'. So this is new information.

Note that the gap between 'A' and 'Ding' can be very short as the tempos go up. I'm trying to build the ability to hear it even at 200. If you can still hear the 'A' in the Ding-A-Ding, then the drag has to exist.

Any doubt? Slow down the master swinger Wynton Kelly.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
TLT, BTW - you see anyone in the advanced thread disagreeing with this? Even riverrun is a jazz drummer.

I've tried to understand this deeply for years and though I know instinctively what's happening, I didn't realize it was more exact than I ever though. Well one part is exact (the delay in the offbeat eighth) while the downbeat varies though never sounding good on top of the beat.

I did get a confirmation from my teacher on this.

My Jazz Blog

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
You know what, jazzwee, you may be 100% right. I've not been following the other thread.

But what I would ask is this: how long had you been playing before you came to this realisation?

Can you remember when you first got your head around 4/4 and the concept of counting, and you sat and counted out a simple rhythm like 'easy come, easy go, will you let me go, bismillah...'? And when you're thinking about quarters and eighths, someone says, 'don't put anything on 1, 1+, 2, 2+, 3, 3+, 4, or 4+'? Well, where are you supposed to put it?

I think it boils down to the simple principle that one needs to walk before one can run.

I will say no more as you are the one who is here, year after year, day in, day out, enthusing people about jazz and making it accessible. I'm just an interloper.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
You are my friend TLT, you are never an interloper.

The answer to your question is this. Over the years, I've always known that you had to drag the beat. How much to drag? That was never answered. I don't think the answer was to be found anywhere on the internet.

The issue came about on the other thread when I'm trying to get my playing in the groove at 200bpm. Mind you this is a very advanced level tempo so it's not something anyone on this thread will try soon.

One of the effects of doing jazz awhile is that one's ears becomes more sensitive. So I noticed that my swing at 200bpm was off. Something was off. So I talked it over with my teacher and he said that the problem was that I was playing on "Top of the Beat". Meaning I wasn't dragging at all.

So I tried practicing a more exact dragging position and realized that it's pretty hard to know exactly where. My teacher talked about Peter Erksine (one of the world's greatest drummers) and that's when I started listening to his videos. There's a video up from last week. And it gave an point for this swung eighth position that he did by subdividing with an "Uh" sound.

That gave it a fixed point. I found out later that Erskine, in a classroom, would have students say the "Uh" to see if they got the feel for the location of this point in the beat. That's when the light when on because that point in the beat is actually marked by the drummer.

On the other thread, Scott actually made a recording using a sequencer and made the machine compute the swing, and sure enough, it swung. This was regardless of the downbeat eighth note being dragged a lot or dragged a little. Then he also made a recording of no drag on the downbeat. And that's what everyone plays as a beginner. Thus he verified what I was talking about with undisputable data created by a sequenced rhythm section and eighth note line. Obviously it sounded a bit mechanical but the point was made. The observation was correct.

Now everyone who plays jazz is told to drag the beat in swing. One would be hard pressed to find someone who says swing means play on top of the beat. This is no mystery. But to achieve the articulation of the masters, then something more precise was necessary. I'm a "master" at playing on top of the beat. So I know when I do it I sound AWFUL.

For everyone here, saying drag the beat is probably a good enough start. The correct amount can be fine tuned later once a feel is developed.

I said this in this thread last week: this finding is mind boggling. It gives one a more accurate representation of swing than was ever discussed before. The fact that someone (Erskine) was teaching this just verified the point. This is not common information to be found. This is stuff you usually learn with a mentor.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
With my mentor, there's never any discussion of Long-Short as something one needs to focus on. This was since day 1. So it was always about "lay back", accent offbeats and play legato. So it should give a clue to what a teacher thinks is the best way to "walk" instead of run.

One doesn't want to build bad habits from the get go.

My Jazz Blog

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by jazzwee
You are my friend TLT,

smile And you mine.

A teacher, a real jazz master, would be wonderful.

But I am just so grateful that I got the education that means I can even participate in this, I have a real piano (quite a nice one) and a roof over my head to keep it dry. And maybe one day I'll take lessons too.

SwingC, how you doing?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Doesn't Oscar Peterson play right on the beat? for the most part?

Oscar Peterson's gotta be one of the most swinging pianists ever. One of the best in my book anyway.

Erroll is a great example to listen to on the beat versus behind the beat, because he switches as a mean of tension release.

I was told that on the beat vs behind the beat, and how much behind depends on the person. It's a natural feeling type of thing. I was told I play pretty far behind. But of course, you can play with that.

As always, my attitude when it comes to swing is simple, listen, play and sing along with solo, and you're covered. The theory behind swing has never worked for me.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by knotty

I was told that on the beat vs behind the beat, and how much behind depends on the person. It's a natural feeling type of thing. I was told I play pretty far behind.

Hey Knotty
What do you mean when you say you play far behind ?

S
S
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs

SwingC, how you doing?

Have gone back to basics for a bit as Jazzwee's suggested. Need to get some simple stuff right.

No backing track, no LH, no melody, no real improv. Just me and a metronome tickin at 60 bpm. 

When I feel I have some control over the emphasis I will straight away add in the subtle delay learn to hang behind the beat. Uh.

Focused on Playing straight 8ths with emphasis on offbeat. Mainly just up and down GMaj scale. Focus now is on the offbeat emphasis. Done 5 15min sessions today. First 3 could not get emphasis off the downbeat except for the lead in note and a few others. (too much rock in my hear) Did improve on legato though. 4 session started to get small runs together before the downbeat dragged me back kickin an screaming. 5 session starting to feel it though was aware that note lengths were sometimes variable.

This is all good by the way. Highly frustrating but part of the process. 
Remember that Im not just new to jazz. piano is new to me as well so I need to take time to get it right. Fingers just not usta doin what they're told. 

It might be a few days before I post something. I'm happy with the fences I have to jump over. 
Pity I got to hang out an paint them on the way past.

Why can't every second finger be heavier and also maybe 20 fingers on each hand.

It is happening. I hear progress. Gonna keep focused and bide my time.

Talk talk
Swing Cabáiste

What exactly do you mean by 'swing'.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> What do you mean when you say you play far behind ?
I tend to play behind the beat, at least, so I was told. Might be form listening to too much Lester Young / Count Basie as a kid.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Here's Bird playing with the beat. You might hear the difference in feel:
http://www.box.net/shared/dz41gtq3cv

The entire solo is exquisite, btw.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Very interesting Knotty. I just listened to Prez' Foolin' Myself and his Boogie Woogie solos. You are right, Prez does play behind the beat, I didn't know that before.

And I also listened to your Bird extract a few times. Yes the difference is enormous. What is the song ?
Does Bird tend to play most of his songs on the beat ? I'm singing Moose the Mooche at the moment and am loving it. I can sing the A sections at half speed now.

Thanks.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The sample is from Au Privave on Verve. It's a really great solo.
Bird would play just barely behind the beat, but he'd sometimes use this effect, and it works great.
Singing Moose is a great idea. It's really not about speed. In fact, the slowed the harder. It's possibly one of Bird's best solos ever.

In a different style, Basie was ridiculously good at playing with time.

I grew up listening to that stuff, Basie, Freddie Green, Frank Wess. Good stuff.

Here, compare Basie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV5apkGSkfM
to Duke:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDDCzb3dv_Y&feature=related

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Knotty, of course the harder swing will be closer to the top of the beat on the downbeat. But is it on top? Impossible. The best swingers play behind the beat. The further behind the beat, the straighter.

But maybe again we are confusing things. If Oscar Peterson is playing sixteenths, you cannot hear if it's behind the beat or not. It's too close. You'll need to really slow it down. So this is not a meaningful discussion for that.

Swing Eighths at a tempo where you can hear the drummers swung eighth on the ride cymbal has to be dragged.

Maybe at the beginning stages a simple statement of drag the beat is all that's needed. And that's all I'm saying here. But where I am, I have to be conscious of articulation at a higher level and I'm sure everyone in the advanced thread are trying to improve articulation to go to the next level.

Do you know of any jazz teacher that says you shouldn't play behind the beat on swing?

I've recorded my own playing and it's clear that it sounds better if I am conscious of dragging.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty
Here's Bird playing with the beat. You might hear the difference in feel:
http://www.box.net/shared/dz41gtq3cv

The entire solo is exquisite, btw.

That's dragged exactly as I say. Perfect example. Horn players play straight but off center. Heard it in the first 3 seconds.

You have to compare with the ding-a-ding of the rhythm section or we are not talking about the same thing.

Try to copy this phrasing playing on the top of the beat. You will not sound like Bird. Guaranteed.

Last edited by jazzwee; 02/03/11 11:18 PM.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> If Oscar Peterson is playing sixteenths, you cannot hear if it's behind the beat or not
I don't see it as 16th vs 8th versus 1/4. I just see it as where you play compared to the basic pulse of the music. Check out Oscar and see if you think that -- for the most part -- he plays ahead, on, or behind. Of course, Oscar could do a mean impression of Garner, but that's not what I mean smile

>> Do you know of any jazz teacher that says you shouldn't play behind the beat on swing?
I do not. At the same time, I was never told to play behind. The one thing to be careful of from a technique point of few is to neither rush, nor drag. Rushing is generally more common, especially as the tempo goes up.

>> That's dragged exactly as I say. Perfect example. Horn players play straight but off center. Heard it in the first 3 seconds.
That was the point of the sample. Hearing Bird switch to a lay back feel for a second.

>> You have to compare with the ding-a-ding of the rhythm section or we are not talking about the same thing.
Then we are not. You could play solo piano and play behind the beat, in my opinion. The music has a basic pulse, which you could think of as the metronome. Each musician, however many there are, can choose to play on, or not right on the click. Including the drummer, or the guitarist.

>> Try to copy this phrasing playing on the top of the beat. You will not sound like Bird. Guaranteed.
That is where I agree a 100%. In fact, that's the only thing I would recommend. Just imitate. That's just my approach, of course, but imitating is worth 1000 explanations.

Last edited by knotty; 02/03/11 11:50 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> Very interesting Knotty. I just listened to Prez' Foolin' Myself and his Boogie Woogie solos. You are right, Prez does play behind the beat, I didn't know that before.

Hey Cus, last one before I leave for the night. It's great to sing along with Prez because he is really one who would typically switch between behind and ahead. So you'll get it that way.
I should look for a sample but I'm not sure that would be reasonable smile

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Cool, I've just listened to Prez' When You're Smilin' where he solos at the beginning and at the end. I think I can hear what you mean.
From now on, I'm going to listen to Prez differently.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Knotty, like I said the simpler explanation is fine at the beginning. No problem with that. Lay back and take it easy.

So the more precise position is to really develop to an advanced level. As my teacher's recording showed, even when he lays back, the position in the beat is not a random drag. He was very precise in fact. The control is just amazing. That's for the advanced thread.

For here, I just say drag the beat. Legato. Accent offbeats. That's it. The rest will be according to one's taste.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwingCabbage
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs

SwingC, how you doing?

Have gone back to basics for a bit as Jazzwee's suggested. Need to get some simple stuff right.

No backing track, no LH, no melody, no real improv. Just me and a metronome tickin at 60 bpm. 

When I feel I have some control over the emphasis I will straight away add in the subtle delay learn to hang behind the beat. Uh.

Focused on Playing straight 8ths with emphasis on offbeat. Mainly just up and down GMaj scale. Focus now is on the offbeat emphasis. Done 5 15min sessions today. First 3 could not get emphasis off the downbeat except for the lead in note and a few others. (too much rock in my hear) Did improve on legato though. 4 session started to get small runs together before the downbeat dragged me back kickin an screaming. 5 session starting to feel it though was aware that note lengths were sometimes variable.

This is all good by the way. Highly frustrating but part of the process. 
Remember that Im not just new to jazz. piano is new to me as well so I need to take time to get it right. Fingers just not usta doin what they're told. 

It might be a few days before I post something. I'm happy with the fences I have to jump over. 
Pity I got to hang out an paint them on the way past.

Why can't every second finger be heavier and also maybe 20 fingers on each hand.

It is happening. I hear progress. Gonna keep focused and bide my time.

Talk talk
Swing Cabáiste

I forgot you're new at the piano SC. Let's put scales on your daily practice schedule. Do a scale a day. Start with B and Db.

Like always, shoot for evenness and legato.

The biggest secret to swing BTW is not just drag, but legato. More important than any other factor (assuming you're able to play evenly).

My Jazz Blog

Page 166 of 187 1 2 164 165 166 167 168 186 187

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission