2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,123 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 75 of 341 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 340 341
B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
You've got to be comfortable putting the LH on any place in the bar, but it is fine tomix it up.
Are you trying it with a play along or metronome? I think play along is best because then it is less boring so you can keep at it for a good while. I am not sure an ostinato in the RH is a good idea because in a real solo that is not what you would be doing. Just really simple but varied phrases would be best.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I was just using a metronome. The ostinato was just a baby step since I couldn't easily identify the 4+ and 2+. When I just did even simple solo's I really couldn't easily hear initially when to hit 4+. As you can imagine, it's easy if there's a beat 1 on the RH.

But it must have helped because even without a piano, I can hear the comp now in my head while I imagine a solo in the RH.

This is one of my biggest weaknesses because my teacher never focused on this at all. He told me that in this style of comping, it's the RH that keeps the time. The problem is that my LH time wavers because I'm not hearing the comp as part of the beat.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Listen to Red Garland he does the 4+, 2+ all the time.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Good tip Klink. I actually listened to a lot of Garland and then even while I was driving I was hearing him with Miles Davis.

So I heard him do a consistent 1+ on one tune. A 4+ 2+ on another, And then a 1 +2. And then when he's comping for another soloist it was all the above.

This is great! I like it when I find something specific to work on.

Seeing that any upbeat can work, I just practiced that a moment ago. It is a lot easier to just think of any upbeat. I think concentrating on this seems to improve my time.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Beeboss, I guess it's just step by step. Last night, I was just soloing (although just simple blues), doing this comping. Might take a couple more weeks to get the LH more stable but it's getting there.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
JW, don't be fooled, there is nothing simple about playing a blues well. I look forward to the day when I can do it.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by beeboss
JW, don't be fooled, there is nothing simple about playing a blues well. I look forward to the day when I can do it.

You mean like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcFnxi3bI4w

"I got me da blues!"

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz

You mean like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcFnxi3bI4w

"I got me da blues!"

well yes...

or like Wynton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEAMPlaawTQ

or McCoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBwuwZh6G6g

or Bud
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7G_XQ7vEo4

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Interesting Dave B. Would you say Wynton’s and Bud’s blues melodies are harmonic whereas McCoy's blues sound is more modal ?

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Certainly McCoy has a more modern sound.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss

LOL! Is anything ever easy? But at least you don't lose yourself in the form. smile

Now I don't consider myself particularly good at blues but certainly all of you guys who don't post music here could handle some version of the blues...Wiz?

Glen posted a lot of blues.

My Jazz Blog

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W

I couldn't play the blues to save my life. I can't recall Miles Davis or Bill Evans playing alot of the blues, but I might be wrong.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
LOL smile I remember the first couple of years I learned Jazz, it was Blues, Blues, Blues. LH walking bass on Bb, F, G, D, C blues. Rootless 13th chords. ii-V modifications on Blues progressions. Tons of Blues licks like you wouldn't believe. Memorized blues solos. Yada-yada-yada. So my teacher then believed that the way to learn Jazz was via the blues.

Well, I think Blues is the way to learn Blues and if you do the above, your Jazz playing sounds like the blues. So I haven't played Blues much in years.

But I did enough of it so I wonder if anything sunk in? smile Maybe I'll give it a try.

I don't know the answer to your question Wiz, since we don't know what these guys practiced, but I know that I haven't done Blues with my current teacher hardly at all. I think once at the very beginning.

My Jazz Blog

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W

I remember looking at a blues chart and it was all V7 chords, then I would look at a lead sheet and wonder why it was all 2-5-1!! So they weren't there in any of the songs I played when I first learned jazz.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Don't limit yourself Wiz. Jazz isn't single faceted. I don't believe now that Blues is the end-all to jazz but it's definitely an important piece.

And there really is a "Jazz Blues" and it doesn't sound anything like regular slow Guitar blues. For one, it's played pretty fast.

When you realize that Coltrane and Chick did a lot of Blues that don't even sound like Blues then you can really take it to the next level. Listen to Chick do 'Matrix' which is almost unrecognizable as Blues. The harmony lessons abound in there.

Take the single I7-IV7-V7 structure. Not only would Chick do subs here (think of diminished cycle), but would also there's the question of where is the release chord? They're all dominants (tension) chords after all. But when do they treat these dominants as a Tonic chord? (They do). Or basic questions like what can you play over a Dominant? (Everything?)

I think this alone can be a discussion.

I really think we can all do blues next. No one has to learn the tune. We just play it. Heck, I'm game even when I know I'm no blues king smile

My Jazz Blog

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Listen to all the blues that Chet uses in his solo, he is a good one to study, I find him relatively easy to follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgn7VfXH2GY

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
For you lot that have learned Matrix. Have you tried to make it a part of your playing? It kinda doesn't blend in too well with the bop tradition. As I see it you'd have to learn a great deal of pents and quartals to make it work..

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KlinkKlonk
For you lot that have learned Matrix. Have you tried to make it a part of your playing? It kinda doesn't blend in too well with the bop tradition. As I see it you'd have to learn a great deal of pents and quartals to make it work..

You're absolutely right. It's a very modern sound and I see a tiny little line here and there that comes from Chick but it's pretty hard to 'hear'. If you can't hear it well it's hard to apply. Remember he's not just playing pentatonics and quartals on the stated chord. So you have to think of it with the sub too.

I think my ears need to develop (a lot) further to even really hear what's going on. I know it in theory and the transcription exists. But it's not enough.

Just imagine that Chick was pretty young when he played that. I can't think of a young player nowadays with a statement to make like Chick and other masters did in those days. Think of Dolpin Dance being created when Herbie was a teen!

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz
I can't recall Miles Davis or Bill Evans playing alot of the blues, but I might be wrong.

Well except for the entire album Kind of Blue.

But I've read that Evans really didn't otherwise excel in playing the blues. I'd suspect the same from Miles too.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B

Page 75 of 341 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission