2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
OP Offline
I
Hi there,

My 6 year old started her piano lessons and need to buy her one. My choices are Yamaha P 95, Korg SP-170 or Casio PX 130. All of them are in the same price range. I want to buy her something nice with good real piano feeling. I have read and read and read...and don't know what to buy. I am not a piano player or expert...Need help...in simple words please.

Thank you!

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Can you take her with you to the store and let her try them...see which one she likes best? If she picks it it might encourage practice.

I think that there isn't any one that is dramatically a better choice for her, it's what she likes the best.

I
OP Offline
I
Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a store in town where she can try them. I have been checking in online stores frown

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Ivonneoa,
The PX-130, SP-170, and P-95 should be available at either Guitar Center or a Sam Ash. If there is a Best Buy with a Musical Instrument room (not all BBY's have these), you should find a P-95 and a PX-130 bundle (with a stand and pedal). Another model the Korg SP-250 ($699) is another piano you could consider. You could find this at Guitar Center or Sam Ash.

I
OP Offline
I
Thank you galaxy4t! smile

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by ivonneoa
Hi there,

My 6 year old started her piano lessons and need to buy her one. My choices are Yamaha P 95, Korg SP-170 or Casio PX 130. All of them are in the same price range

I like Yamaha pianos but in this case I think the PX130 has the better key action. The keys are what mater. At the $500 price point I think Casio has the best keys, that switches to Yamaha if you can spend $1000. But some prefer the P95. What you need to do is go to any Guitar Center or Sam Ash store and try each of them. Bring good headphones as the place will be filled with noise from the many others also trying out instruments.

N
N
Hi,
I am also in the same situation, trying to buy a keyboard for my son who is 5 1/2 yrs old. i took him to a local piano store and he loved to play in the pianos, but later decided he liked all the diff sounds which we can play in keyboards and we decided on yamaha P95, we felt it was more sturdy than casio, and due to the brand. dh is more towards yamaha. i am a novice and i didnt see any diff in the keys betw casio and yamaha.

I am wondering what kind of stand would be better for the yamaha P95? on amazon.com i saw two stands one is "Yamaha L85 Keyboard Stand for Yamaha P95 Keyboard" for 125$ and the other is "Yamaha L85 Wood Digital Piano Stand" for 99$.
Confused abt what is the difference in both and why the difference in price. both is compatible with P95

thanks,
Nila

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Nila,
It might be the type of finish on the stand or it could just be an error on the listing. Can you call the place that has the stand and have them explain what the difference in price is?

K
K
I think the korg has a little advantage for kids: there are no buttons.
My 6 old son is veeeery fond of touching buttons, so the lack of them could be a good thing for him concentrating on playing and for the piano durability.

Kirikou.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I'd say right now the decision between the PX130 or P95 (never looked at the korg myself) is totally up to you. If your son is a complete beginner, either one should be quite reasonable to start with. You may even consider buying used off of craigslist (it seems to me that I see Casio PX's on CL all the time, they actually hold their value well when purchased this way).

As for the difference in prices for the stands, it's the same product but from different retailers, hence the different price. Either way you're purchasing from a third party, not directly from Amazon.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by nila

I am wondering what kind of stand would be better for the yamaha P95? on amazon.com i saw two stands one is "Yamaha L85 Keyboard Stand for Yamaha P95 Keyboard"

A Yamaha L85 is a Yamaha L85. Just look a the delivered price. The Yamaha stand is expensive, especially when you see it up close. Basically three pieces of particle board, plastic and some screws for $100. Not a great value. That said, just buy it. It works well and yes it is over priced but you get over that soon.

Do look at the "delivered price" as it weighs a "ton" and is expensive to ship if you have to pay for shipping.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I second that- once you have the stand (L85) hooked up to the pedals you don't care as much about the cost. It does make a difference having the stand as the speakers emit sound from both the top and bottom of the piano. MF had them for $99 with no tax or shipping. Also consider the pedal board for $75.

I had been originally considering a YDP140 over the summer which I saw from anywhere between $800-$840. However, I am planning on moving and wanted something easier to break down and reassemble.

I like the P95, but find that once I added in the stand, pedals and bench, my total cost before any trade in was $715.

Had I not been planning on moving, I would have done the console.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
N
N
Couldn't get much info abt the differences in stand, but we finally order the P95 bundle. (free shipping) couldn't get the same pieces in the local stores, they had unmatched bench/stand etc.
The stand is good and sturdy and heavy, but it is made of pressed wood only, for 99$ it is just 3 pieces of pressed wood and not even a good wood! but looks better than the X stand.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I've tried the Yamaha P95 and the Casio PX 130, but not the Korg. I've tried many models at Guitar Center. I saw that Target actually had a P95 in stock. I like the feel of both but bought a Casio PX-330 since I wanted the extra tones and didn't need the beginner software that the PX-130 comes with. If you can find a Guitar Center or a Sam Ash in your area, either one would have many DPs to try. If you look on the Guitar Center website, you can download coupons and deals for the weekend.

Good Luck! Let us know what you buy. cool

**I got a free double X stand with my Casio DP from Musician's Friend.

Last edited by j&j; 02/05/11 11:21 PM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
S
S
I'm seriously thinking of buying a Casio PX-130. They do a black, and a white/pearl version. Any opinions from current owners on this forum would be greatly apreciated,

Thank you,

Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission