Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1615318 - 02/08/11 12:27 PM Need suggestions for secondary piano for 9-year old daughter
cloudcover Offline

hi there -

our daughter is 9 years old and has been learning piano for the past couple of years. we have a conventional yamaha upright (non-digital) piano as her primary practice instrument. but we have a younger son who goes to bed earlier than our daughter and are looking to buy a digital piano that she can keep in her room to practice when our son is asleep.

because of our needs, we aren't concerned about having lots of bells and whistles. in fact, even the tone quality isn't paramount (i'm assuming that they're all pretty decent). i'd say the main factor for us is to have the key action be as similar as possible to a conventional piano, so she retains the feel needed for shaping the sound during lessons and recitals.

we'd love any suggestions. we'd prefer not to spend too much, since this will be a secondary instrument. i notice that costco is currently having a special on a casio px-130 for $500. and i think someone local might also be selling a roland rd-300sx for about $650. but i don't know if either of these would be a recommended option, given our needs...and so would welcome ideas.

thanks in advance!
cc

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1615325 - 02/08/11 12:34 PM Re: Need suggestions for secondary piano for 9-year old daughter [Re: cloudcover]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Maybe check the used market for a Yamaha CP-33.

#1615352 - 02/08/11 01:04 PM Re: Need suggestions for secondary piano for 9-year old daughter [Re: cloudcover]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You may also check the Yamaha P95 as well. I own (but selling) an RD-300GX, and played a P95 afterward, and the action of the P95 seemed more piano friendly to me.

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#1615467 - 02/08/11 05:09 PM Re: Need suggestions for secondary piano for 9-year old daughter [Re: cloudcover]
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I tried my first digital piano in 1989, and even way back then the digital pianos played like an acoustic piano. Today, 20 yrs. into the Digital Piano Era, you would literally have a hard time buying a bad weighted-key digital piano. Either of the digitals you mentioned would be okay. If the RD 300sx is used, then $650 is too much for it, since you can buy good, new digitals with full warranty for that price. Offer no more than $400--and that's generous in my view--and he should grab for that because any piano is hard to sell (the number of players in the population is small) and it's probably the only offer he'll get.

To give some perspective, I have an expensive acoustic upright in storage--a similar model new today would be in the ~$20,000 price range--but I don't even think about taking it out of storage because I consider digitals so much more practical and better overall. I use a $600 Williams Overture digital that I bought sight-unseen new online in 2009. This is one of the cheapest console digitals around, and yet I find it adequate for any playing, from jazz to concertos.

#1615507 - 02/08/11 05:51 PM Re: Need suggestions for secondary piano for 9-year old daughter [Re: cloudcover]
FrankJoseph Offline

Loc: Redding, CA
I have had very good luck practicing late at night and early in the morning on my new Yamaha P-95. The Casio Privia PX-130 is similarly priced and works well. Musician's Friend throws in some 3 extras goodies (stand, seat and headphone), and does not charge for delivery or sales tax! Keyboards are portable, too,for vacations. I have been unable to fit my acoustic grand in my trunk. Frank

#1615547 - 02/08/11 06:32 PM Re: Need suggestions for secondary piano for 9-year old daughter [Re: cloudcover]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: cloudcover
hi there -

our daughter is 9 years old and has been learning piano for the past couple of years. we have a conventional yamaha upright (non-digital) piano as her primary practice instrument. but we have a younger son who goes to bed earlier than our daughter and are looking to buy a digital piano that she can keep in her room to practice when our son is asleep.

because of our needs, we aren't concerned about having lots of bells and whistles. in fact, even the tone quality isn't paramount (i'm assuming that they're all pretty decent). i'd say the main factor for us is to have the key action be as similar as possible to a conventional piano, so she retains the feel needed for shaping the sound during lessons and recitals.

thanks in advance!
cc

I don't think you can separate tone from touch...in order to retain the feel of shaping the sound, the sound has to respond to the touch.

Still, if you spend somewhere in the $750 range or so you should do okay. You just won't get the kind of response you would with a more expensive DP. Having switched from a YPG 635 ($739) to a Roland FP7F ($1659), the difference is astonishing. That being said, I actually prefer my DP to most acoustics.

Maybe you can have her practice scales and other mechanical stuff at night, and practice her recital pieces on the acoustic during the day.

#1615777 - 02/08/11 11:48 PM Re: Need suggestions for secondary piano for 9-year old daughter [Re: Nikalette]
cloudcover Offline

Originally Posted By: Nikalette
I don't think you can separate tone from touch...in order to retain the feel of shaping the sound, the sound has to respond to the touch.

Still, if you spend somewhere in the $750 range or so you should do okay. You just won't get the kind of response you would with a more expensive DP. Having switched from a YPG 635 ($739) to a Roland FP7F ($1659), the difference is astonishing. That being said, I actually prefer my DP to most acoustics.

Maybe you can have her practice scales and other mechanical stuff at night, and practice her recital pieces on the acoustic during the day.

yup, that all makes sense, in terms of tone quality and also having her practice different things at night vs during the day. in terms of choosing a digital piano, you mentioned that there should be some decent/good choices at (or preferably below) $750. is there any consensus on what is (or are) a good option in that range? or is it mainly personal preference?

thanks to all for the helpful comments! smile

#1615786 - 02/09/11 12:03 AM Re: Need suggestions for secondary piano for 9-year old daughter [Re: cloudcover]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
I just came from a store where I tried out the yamaha P95/CP-33, and Korg sp170/sp250. Strictly talking the keys...The SP250 felt the most realistic. The best trainer. All of the others, including the sp170 felt nicer. To me all the others lacked the reality the SP250 had.

Edited by rnaple (02/09/11 12:08 AM)

#1616069 - 02/09/11 11:30 AM Re: Need suggestions for secondary piano for 9-year old daughter [Re: rnaple]
mflander Offline

Loc: Elk River, MN
Originally Posted By: rnaple
I just came from a store where I tried out the yamaha P95/CP-33, and Korg sp170/sp250. Strictly talking the keys...The SP250 felt the most realistic. The best trainer. All of the others, including the sp170 felt nicer. To me all the others lacked the reality the SP250 had.

It is amazing how much personal preference comes in to all this, I shopped around and thought the exact opposite. I liked the Korg but the keys just somehow did not feel right to me.

I liked the P95 also but got such a good deal on a PX-130 I went for that instead.

Long story short you need to try them out for yourself and buy what you yourself are going to be happy with.

#1618693 - 02/13/11 02:55 AM Re: Need suggestions for secondary piano for 9-year old daughter [Re: mflander]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: mflander
It is amazing how much personal preference comes in to all this, I shopped around and thought the exact opposite. I liked the Korg but the keys just somehow did not feel right to me.
Long story short you need to try them out for yourself and buy what you yourself are going to be happy with.

Just to help you out. No arguing here. Just explaining a difference of opinion.

I would agree the sp250 keys are a little loud and clunky. But they feel honest to me. The only resistance I feel is the real camber or curved weight of moving a hammer. Otherwise the keys are free; no resistance at all. Just like a real acoustic piano. Even though this ain't like no nice, new, expensive, acoustic piano. It feels honest. I feel like I could go from this and easily play any piano. The weight at the highest point of the curve feels heavier than the others. More realistic to me. I rationalize that Korg chose that this is the most important aspect of the keys. I agree with them. I think my muscles, nerves, coordination, will be developed better with this keyboard.
Very good touch on the keys. Very good response to differing velocities.
I really like it in this price range.

The others felt false to me. Lighter. Didn't feel as much weight differece through the lobe of the camber. Felt very nice bushings holding the keys ever so gently and sweetly in place.

I would like to support mflander's advice to try out and decide for yourself. It's your opinion that counts on your piano.

Edited by rnaple (02/13/11 03:07 AM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
149 registered (accordeur, Aibohphobia, 36251, acortot, 44 invisible), 1802 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75483 Members
42 Forums
156064 Topics
2291722 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Please Help!!
by OliviaWalter
07/22/14 01:39 PM
Performing Chopin's preludes
by JoelW
07/22/14 01:31 PM
Stephen Hough - Advice for talented piano students
by fnork
07/22/14 12:58 PM
Getting started with MIDI: One question.
by 90SITA
07/22/14 12:46 PM
Remembering what to play
by kipale
07/22/14 11:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission