Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1616541 - 02/09/11 10:27 PM Re: The King's Speech [Re: Ejay]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Ejay
Originally Posted By: btb

Longest reigning British Monarch at 57 years , outdistancing Queens Victoria and Elizabeth I.

That is interesting as Britain has never had a Queen Elizabeth the first.

Indeed, though she was "Queen of France". Well, according to the English of course. It was George III who finally abandoned pretensions to the French throne ... ah, so now I know what argerichfan means with "we know about that one". wink

Kawai K3

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1616624 - 02/10/11 01:56 AM Re: The King's Speech [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
King George VI giving the Royal-wave at the end of WWII in 1945 from the balcony of Buckingham Palace ... with him the Queen and a beaming Winston Churchill ... left is Princess Elisabeth (future QEII) and to the right her younger sister Princess Margaret.

PS I’m presently glued to Lord Moran’s book Winston Churchill: The Struggle for Survival (864 pages) ...Physician to the PM from May 1940 ... as he notes in opening

“Winston Churchill is 65. He has just been appointed Prime Minister, and I have become his doctor, not because he wanted one, but because certain members of the Cabinet, who realized how essential he had become, have decided that somebody ought to keep an eye on his health.”

PPS Spike Milligan’s book “Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall” will just have to wait.

#1616703 - 02/10/11 07:49 AM Re: The King's Speech [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
tomasino Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
I haven't seen "The King's Speech," and probably won't, as it appears from all the buzz to be a pop-historical film of the sort that encourages deficient people to idolize the talentless and unproductive; a phenomenon even worse than idolizing certain celebrities for no reason other than they are celebrities.

Having disqualified myself from commenting further, I nevertheless will: the irony of using Beethoven's music seems fitting, given the irony of the British royal family being German.

Tomasino
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

#1616743 - 02/10/11 09:19 AM Re: The King's Speech [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Strangely Tomasino some of us won’t want to see the movie The King’s Speech ... watching Hollywood actors hamming their way through part of one’s life’s history will never come close to the touching drama of the real thing ... not to mention the irritation barbs of gross Yankee misconceptions expressed by others ... like this Lulu from Prof. PD

“Heck, I thought the King's wishy-washy attitude toward Nazi Germany,
and his disapproval of Churchill, was common knowledge.”

You wouldn’t believe a word of it, judging by the smile above on Churchill’s face.

PS Might I correct your close

"given the irony of the British royal family being German" ... "being OF aristocratic GERMAN (Greek and Russian) STOCK."

#1616745 - 02/10/11 09:21 AM Re: The King's Speech [Re: tomasino]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
Originally Posted By: tomasino
I haven't seen "The King's Speech," and probably won't, as it appears from all the buzz to be a pop-historical film of the sort that encourages deficient people to idolize the talentless and unproductive; a phenomenon even worse than idolizing certain celebrities for no reason other than they are celebrities.

that's too bad; you'll miss a great performance by colin firth.

when one realizes that almost all art is subjective a temporary suspension of disbelief allows a bit of pleasure to seep in.

#1616748 - 02/10/11 09:24 AM Re: The King's Speech [Re: keyboardklutz]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz
If anybody makes anything look easy they're working quite hard (as Mozart once said 'I do my practicing at home).

that or that its actually easy

#1616781 - 02/10/11 10:26 AM Re: The King's Speech [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Wow! Thank you all for responding to my post. So much to digest, whether fact or fiction, theory or opinion, I just wish I had more brain cells to take it all in. History, especially European history, was never my strong suit. I had all I could do to manage a somewhat spotty grasp of American history.

That being said, while a few of you did touch a bit on what (I thought) the film was really about, I would like to expand/expound on that just a little more. IMO, the story was that of one man (just a man, really, nothing more) who, because of horribly traumatic experiences in his childhood by adults who ignored, belittled and abused him, suffered such anguish that he was unable to speak in public without stammering. But with the help of a wonderful teacher, he was able to find that confidence that was buried deep within, overcome his doubts of self-worth and with extraordinary bravery, defeat the effects that caused him such inner pain and turmoil. He rose to the occasion that was thrust upon him and did so (while not exactly happily) with grace and dignity. While the backdrop of this story was one of historic significance, I believe the movie was about the strength of the human spirit. And the actors were unbelievably talented in expressing this tale of man’s struggle to become all that he might be, whatever the odds. (Beethoven's music was indeed a perfect choice in this regard.)

Kathleen

Edited by loveschopintoomuch (02/10/11 10:57 AM)

#1616793 - 02/10/11 10:44 AM Re: The King's Speech [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Quote:
... not to mention the irritation barbs of gross Yankee misconceptions expressed by others ... like this Lulu from Prof. PD

You wouldn’t believe a word of it, judging by the smile above on Churchill’s face.

Gotta hand it to you, btb, your logic is almost as cockeyed as your grammar! grin

Let's see, a benignly smiling Churchill stands on a balcony with an awkwardly waving George in early 1945, after six bloody years of war, and this supposedly tells us what George's views were in 1939 as an anxious Europe began the descent into hell. Yeah, right. Only in your mind is this called logic. But people who have made up their mind just construct "evidence" as a way to feel good.

1945 ≠ 1940
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1616882 - 02/10/11 12:44 PM Re: The King's Speech [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Four kings:
King Edward VII (far right),
his son George, Prince of Wales, later George V (far left),
and grandsons Edward, later Edward VIII (rear),
and Albert, later George VI (foreground), c. 1908.

#1616894 - 02/10/11 01:00 PM Re: The King's Speech [Re: Piano*Dad]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad
Quote:
... not to mention the irritation barbs of gross Yankee misconceptions expressed by others ... like this Lulu from Prof. PD

Gotta hand it to you, btb, your logic is almost as cockeyed as your grammar! grin

At least he called you a Lulu! That's got to be worth something.

Maybe if I'm brutal enough in my arguments he'll call me a Wozzeck. smile

-Jason

#1616918 - 02/10/11 01:31 PM Re: The King's Speech [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Piano*Dad Offline

Quote:
At least he called you a Lulu! That's got to be worth something.

Yeah, but it's a quaint and old-fashioned sort of term .... much like the reverential attitude taken toward the Windsors. wink

Maybe I should post the pic of me having lunch with the Iron Lady. That might get him going. grin
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1616924 - 02/10/11 01:40 PM Re: The King's Speech [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
keyboardklutz Offline

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
One of my relatives with King George V and the Prince of Wales. He did tell George he needs to keep an eye on his son!

#1617023 - 02/10/11 03:34 PM Re: The King's Speech [Re: tomasino]
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London
Originally Posted By: tomasino

Having disqualified myself from commenting further, I nevertheless will: the irony of using Beethoven's music seems fitting, given the irony of the British royal family being German.

I don’t know how to interpret this. Are the “deficient people” those of us who loved the film? I would politely suggest that this is a baseless generalisation. I have never hitherto considered myself deficient.

Are you saying that the actors are “talentless”? That is patently ridiculous. Or do you mean the Royal Family? It is not their role to be talented. As a figurehead for a nation at war, George VI had a most important role. Talent had nothing to do with it.

“loveschopintoomuch” has summed up what the film is really about perfectly.

Would you call Obama Kenyan? I certainly would not wish to be called Polish, despite having Polish ancestors. The royal family are not German.

#1617030 - 02/10/11 03:46 PM Re: The King's Speech [Re: David-G]
keyboardklutz Offline

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Originally Posted By: David-G
The royal family are not German.
SAXE-COBURG-GOTHA English?

#1617103 - 02/10/11 05:43 PM Re: The King's Speech [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Lots of people in the UK have foreign names and foreign origins. Doesn't make them not British now.

#1617146 - 02/10/11 06:49 PM Re: The King's Speech [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Piano*Dad Offline

Indeed, but the family often spoke German among themselves into the 20th century, at a time in which Germany was rising as the UK's prime rival for power. You can perhaps forgive people for worrying about the German connection without thinking that the Windsor family was somehow disloyal (which they weren't).
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1617193 - 02/10/11 08:15 PM Re: The King's Speech [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: loveschopintoomuch

But with the help of a wonderful teacher, he was able to find that confidence that was buried deep within, overcome his doubts of self-worth and with extraordinary bravery, defeat the effects that caused him such inner pain and turmoil. He rose to the occasion that was thrust upon him and did so (while not exactly happily) with grace and dignity.

Whew Kathleen, very well written (though historically suspect), and I suppose this film is as harmless as 'Amadeus', but not as I see it.

Lionel Logue was a Christian Scientist -at that time a very popular religion- but I find it very difficult to believe that Logue didn't invoke Mary Baker Eddy's statement in her book 'Science and Health' on page 454: Right motives give pinions to thought, and strength and freedom to speech and action.

IMO, there is no way that Logue couldn't have brought that up with the King, and Mrs. Eddy's choice of the word 'pinions' is interesting.

#1617232 - 02/10/11 09:19 PM Re: The King's Speech [Re: argerichfan]
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: argerichfan
... the king told his diary that he couldn't get used to the idea of Churchill as prime minister ...

That was because Churchill had expressed significant doubts about him as a potential future King.

#1617264 - 02/10/11 10:02 PM Re: The King's Speech [Re: David-G]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

... the king told his diary that he couldn't get used to the idea of Churchill as prime minister ...

That was because Churchill had expressed significant doubts about him as a potential future King.

Wow. What a profoundly astute observation. No wonder I emigrated to the US, and I truly fear for the Realm.

Not only do I have to fight Republicans on the new side of the pond, I also have to worry about the Old Country. It's a hard life. laugh

#1617284 - 02/10/11 10:58 PM Re: The King's Speech [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Backed by the appeasing “Peace in our time” communique of then PM Neville Chamberlain (but later taken for a ride by Hitler) ... is it any wonder that King George VI questioned the new PM Winston Churchill who quickly showed his “ We will fight them ....” bellicose colours.

Here’s Churchill in bulldog mood visiting the north east defences of England ... 1940.

#1617297 - 02/10/11 11:22 PM Re: The King's Speech [Re: btb]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: btb

Here’s Churchill in bulldog mood visiting the north east defences of England ... 1940.

There is some doubt about the actual location where that picture was shot, propaganda being what it is... and necessary.

btb, don't question my love of the Old Country, you should know better than that. You can make fun of me as you wish for not being a proper 'Monarchist', but in emigrating to the US I did what I had to do. My life was at an end in the UK, and the opportunity came up to leave. I am so much happier now, you don't approve of that?

#1617309 - 02/10/11 11:46 PM Re: The King's Speech [Re: argerichfan]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
btb, don't question my love of the Old Country, you should know better than that. You can make fun of me as you wish for not being a proper 'Monarchist', but in emigrating to the US I did what I had to do. My life was at an end in the UK, and the opportunity came up to leave. I am so much happier now, you don't approve of that?

My friend, if you're going to seek validation for your life choices in the writing quirks of our good chappie, you might be in for a confusing time. I imagine that's a long and absurd road. smile

(no offense, btb; just "stirring up the pot")

-J

#1617337 - 02/11/11 12:50 AM Re: The King's Speech [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Any more of this anti-monarchist chat ...
and “Ve vil haf yo shot” (putting on my best Deutch voice)

#1617395 - 02/11/11 03:22 AM Re: The King's Speech [Re: argerichfan]
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Wow. What a profoundly astute observation. No wonder I emigrated to the US, and I truly fear for the Realm.

Not only do I have to fight Republicans on the new side of the pond, I also have to worry about the Old Country. It's a hard life. laugh

We can agree to differ.

But coming back to the film - Kathleen summed it up perfectly. It is a drama about people. And much more moving than I had expected. The political situation is just a background.

#1617400 - 02/11/11 03:52 AM Re: The King's Speech [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
How was the music score of the movie, ie the original music composed by Alexanre Desplat?? He is a talented composer..

As for the British monarchy, their past is no more or less brilliant than their present and not terribly different than that of other politicians. It would thus be good if they could be similarly voted in or out of "royalhood".. I find it odd to be walking around with a Prince title and entitlement just because you were born with it.. 'tis the 21st century after all. But we do -love to- digress, don't we.

#1617509 - 02/11/11 08:41 AM Re: The King's Speech [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

No Sir, David-G ... and with respect ... Kathleen has put on her mollycoddling boots with her opinion of the core of the movie “The King Speaks”.

“IMO, the story was that of one man (just a man, really, nothing more) who, because of horribly traumatic experiences in his childhood by adults who ignored, belittled and abused him, suffered such anguish that he was unable to speak in public without stammering”

Where in the world did someone dredge up those diabolical adults who “ignored, belittled and abused him” ... this is apron-strings balderdash

From Wikipedia

“He often suffered from ill health and was described as "easily frightened and somewhat prone to tears". His parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, were generally removed from their children’s day-to-day upbringing, as was the norm in aristocratic families of that era (Public School boarding house). He had a stammer that lasted for many years, and was forced to write with his right hand although he was naturally left-handed. He suffered from chronic stomach problems as well as knock-knees for which he was forced to wear painful corrective splints.”

Perhaps he was sidelined from playing rugga ... however was later mentioned in despatches for his action as a turret officer aboard HMS Collingwood
during the battle of Jutland (31 May — 1 June 1916).

But King George VI got over his stammering ... by speaking slowly he managed to make New Year addresses over the radio ... even from distant Cape Town we used to look forward to his encouraging BBC speeches.

#1617516 - 02/11/11 09:04 AM Re: The King's Speech [Re: keyboardklutz]
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK

I thought UK inheritance was via the Paternal line. So in Philips Case (Duke of Edinburgh) his father was from the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-GlĂĽcksburg (which is described as "Danish").

I like the idea of the royal family being rebranded yet again back from Mountbatten/Windsor to "Holstein" since it sounds like a cow or lager which I guess is quite fitting! But "Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-GlĂĽcksburg" don't sound very British either!

Edited by EJR (02/11/11 09:05 AM)

Daily ramblings....

#1617517 - 02/11/11 09:06 AM Re: The King's Speech [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
I think its different if youre a prince consort instead of a king.
Esa-Pekka Salonen - Dichotomie
Kevin Oldham - Ballade, Op. 17

#1617521 - 02/11/11 09:10 AM Re: The King's Speech [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Piano*Dad Offline

No, actually. The early Georges were "Hanoverian." But when Victoria married Albert (prince consort), their children were Saxe-Coburg Gotha (which George V changed deliberately to Windsor during WWI). Presumably Charles is the first of his line and could change the dynastic "name" to his father's. As if anyone cares. smile
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1617686 - 02/11/11 01:15 PM Re: The King's Speech [Re: keyboardklutz]
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK

Further thought: It doesn't sound British, but sure sounds AngloSaxon (hence Anglish)?

Daily ramblings....

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
96 registered (36251, ando, Alux, 36 invisible), 1229 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153600 Topics
2251201 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Greg Pauley in Concert June 1st, Sunday 3:30pm
by Larry Buck
04/20/14 07:58 AM
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
04/20/14 06:58 AM
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
04/20/14 04:55 AM
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
04/20/14 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
04/20/14 12:04 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission