2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (36251, 1200s, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,517 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 170 of 187 1 2 168 169 170 171 172 186 187
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by custard apple
It kinda gets detailed though doesn't it ? Like big picture is "Think of A section as C major" but with your multi key centre approach, one also has to understand A, D min and A min.

That's a valid point. But E7 does not exist in the key of C (its in a chromatic mediant relationship to C), but it does in the key of A major and minor.
But in the way I choose to look at tunes/songs (and it's also the way I teach it) is that the chords are not in isolation in its own bar but has a relationship to the following chord - that's what keeps a song moving forward - usually through a Cycle of Fifths.

It is also possible to only use a C major pentatonic scale as a solo scale all throughout the A section.

S
S
Hi Folks

This is my next attempt with focus on off beat emphasis and even legato notes.

I can do better but this is what came out when I recorded.

http://www.box.net/shared/xi5qxic4un

I did the A section x2
Then there is a gap and then I did it again x2

There are some mistakes where I did not get the offbeat loud enough and I can also hear where I did not get the upbeat chord tone loud enough to even hear it.

Maybe a few places where the note is cut short an not legato. I find this one difficult to hear and notice in the mp3.

I have stuck to the formula that you gave me Jazzwee. Start with an offbeat quaver above or below the 3rd and then string quavers together up and down staying in G.

There is no backing to this. I just played against a metrognome.

I have been doing scales, G, C, D Straight quavers legato with no emphasis on offbeat against a metrognome. Mainly working on getting my fingers moving around each other. Should I also practice these with emphasis on offbeat? My daughter does contrary motion and parlell motion with the LH as well. Should I also do this?

Still playing AABA of AL melody with Charlston once per practice to warm up.

Will be good to hear from you folks. Hopefully there is some improvement in there.

If there is another exercise that will help me with my legato and offbeat emphasis practice then I would apreciate it. Offbeat into 3rd is ok and I will keep it up but I am interested in how else I can practice the even quaver runs with offbeat emphasis.

I will hold back on the swing delay until you are happy that I am getting the emphasis and legato sorted.

I can post another mp3 if needed.

Thanks again folks
Talk Talk

Swing Cabáiste

What exactly do you mean by 'swing'.
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by saiman
hi jazzwee,

when you say "4. Target Approach to Third from some other chord tone (1, 5, 7). Two eighth notes. Put third on a downbeat." how many notes do I play alltogether, 2 or 3? If 2, do I just play to 8th notes per chord or should I target the third with a chord town and then let the third ring?

2 notes is good enough here.

To do this practice, it might be best to start at 1+ with let's say 5 so that 3 lands on beat 2. Otherwise you'd have to worry about other chords.

When connecting two separate chords like a ii-V, you'll notice that you already did the connecting chord tones exercise since the 7 of the prior chord is a half step away from 3rd. Or to restate, 7 goes to 3 in a ii-V. So this is a very typical motion when two chords are involved.

For this particular exercise #4, we are staying with 1 chord.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwingCabbage
Hi Folks

This is my next attempt with focus on off beat emphasis and even legato notes.

I can do better but this is what came out when I recorded.

http://www.box.net/shared/xi5qxic4un

Much improved articulation. Bravo! Now don't hold back when you strike those keys. I can hear you pull back on some.

I'll give you another practice strategy here, continuing with this style you're doing. Instead of abrubtly ending the last note, just let it ring. That way the phrases sound more connected. Don't change anything else yet.

At this very slow tempo, you can let your eighths be uneven. But don't overdo it. You need to develop control as to when you want the eights even or uneven.

I'm impressed by your practice here. The progress is big! And you're new at the piano. Great work.

My Jazz Blog

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Hey 10
I'm like you. I do a lot of listening to get acquainted with the repertoire. I only got into listening to jazz 2 years ago; when I heard Keith Jarrett's Tokyo album, I was hooked.
At the moment I'm singing Charlie Parker and John Coltrane.

I took 3 months of lessons with a jazz teacher who taught me harmony and scales, but never mentioned swing. So I stopped with him and started the JOI methodology which got me into living, breathing and thinking jazz.

You mentioned the C Blues and the C maj blues. What's the difference ?

That's great that you know another instrument.

Hi custard,

C blues is based on the minor pentatonic scale. Major blues is based on the major pentatonic scale.

Let me see if I can get this right:

Minor pentatonic: do ma fa so ta do (1 b3 4 5 b7 1)
blues: do ma fa fi so ta do (1 b3 4 b5 5 b7 1)
major pent: do re me so la
major blues: do re ma me so la (1 2 b3 3 5 6)

I'm looking forward to the JOI book.
I think that's right.

Last edited by ten left thumbs; 02/09/11 07:50 PM. Reason: correction of scale
S
S
Thanks Jazzwee
Ring they will.
SC

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks 10
It seems like the scale I know is a combination of minor pentatonic and blues.
1 b3 4 b5 5 b7 1.

btw I think Dave Frank provides JOI Lesson 1 for free on his web-site. It's better to do his course with a great teacher, but you can always ask questions on the forum which is what I do.
Maybe your friend who is teaching you tunes can also help.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by chrisbell
It kinda gets detailed though doesn't it ? Like big picture is "Think of A section as C major" but with your multi key centre approach, one also has to understand A, D min and A min.

That's a valid point. But E7 does not exist in the key of C (its in a chromatic mediant relationship to C), but it does in the key of A major and minor.
But in the way I choose to look at tunes/songs (and it's also the way I teach it) is that the chords are not in isolation in its own bar but has a relationship to the following chord - that's what keeps a song moving forward - usually through a Cycle of Fifths.

It is also possible to only use a C major pentatonic scale as a solo scale all throughout the A section.

Thanks again Chris for your helpful and clear explanation.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Thanks 10
It seems like the scale I know is a combination of minor pentatonic and blues.
1 b3 4 b5 5 b7 1.

btw I think Dave Frank provides JOI Lesson 1 for free on his web-site. It's better to do his course with a great teacher, but you can always ask questions on the forum which is what I do.
Maybe your friend who is teaching you tunes can also help.

Hi custard,

Yes, that's the blues scale! I missed out a note, just went back and corrected it.

I just found the free lesson, thanks for the tip. Looks good. I take it he develops these strands (drills, voicings, listening) in further lessons? Good idea.

Dave also has master classes freely available to watch. His playing is just amazing.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi 10
So the blues scale is just the minor pentatonic with a b5 ?

Yes, you're right, that's why Knotty said it's dynamite if you are prepared to persevere with the course. Each lesson develops on the Hanons, voicings and listening. And you will get quicker at learning the tunes.

Dave's masterclasses must be unique, I think I know the Bill Evans one word for word wink

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Hi 10
So the blues scale is just the minor pentatonic with a b5 ?

It's that simple. If you learn both pent and blues, then you will be very aware of which is the blue note. Good, because you don't want to land on that note. Pass through it, then land on any other note, but not the blue one.

Yes, you're right, that's why Knotty said it's dynamite if you are prepared to persevere with the course. Each lesson develops on the Hanons, voicings and listening. And you will get quicker at learning the tunes.

Dave's masterclasses must be unique, I think I know the Bill Evans one word for word wink

Sounds like what I was looking for from the start.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
It's a comprehensive course which provides you with daily exercises. It is perfect for people like you, because it will fill in any gaps which may have slipped through unnoticed during your 2 years of exploration.
You don't have to worry about the 1st exercise which is the JOI Solo Pattern - it takes a long time.

S
S
hi everyone. TLT has given me a great link to Phild de Greg's website. Amongst the free material is a pdf that theaches you choral style arrangements. The left hand always plays R+7 or R+3 whilst the right hand play the remaining chord tone plus an extension and the melody note. So we have like a 2+2 or 2+3 situation.

I wanted to ask how you guys would apply this to ATTYA. I need a break from autmun leaves so i wanted to work a little bit on this tune.

This is the link to Phil de Greg's choral exercise. I have a feeling that this is a very good way of arranging lead sheets in solo piano.

http://www.phildegreg.com/pdf/Chorale%20Exercises.pdf

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
custard - there are lots of gaps! :)My learning has been fairly sporadic. My aim is to earn enough to take regular lessons.

saiman - interesting, I printed that exercise off, and that was the one I didn't look at. Must look at it.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by saiman
hi everyone. TLT has given me a great link to Phild de Greg's website. Amongst the free material is a pdf that theaches you choral style arrangements. The left hand always plays R+7 or R+3 whilst the right hand play the remaining chord tone plus an extension and the melody note. So we have like a 2+2 or 2+3 situation.

I wanted to ask how you guys would apply this to ATTYA. I need a break from autmun leaves so i wanted to work a little bit on this tune.

This is the link to Phil de Greg's choral exercise. I have a feeling that this is a very good way of arranging lead sheets in solo piano.

http://www.phildegreg.com/pdf/Chorale%20Exercises.pdf

Hi Saiman, those voicings are discussed up here under ATTYA. See page 1. 2+2 or 2+3 voicings. Very important. I use them all the time.

Your practice routine should be broad so this is part of it too.

I would say walking bass is too advanced since it's already improvisation with the LH.

My Jazz Blog

S
S
Jazzwee and others.
Thanks for your advice. I can see improvement slowly.
I continued playing a lead in note to the third as directed.
I tried and mainly succeeded in holding the last not of each run. some places it was just cut short incorrectly and not legato. I also tried to emphasise the off beat even more as suggested.

http://www.box.net/shared/q129vbuxm1

No need to listen to the whole thing I think its six minuits long. I still have work on the thirds into the bars where there are two chords. I will isolate this for practice.

With regard to this exercise how should I progress.

Jazzwee I realy hope you realise how valuable this post is. WYou have created a monster here that is invaluable. I'm up to page 40 on the thread of 110. amazing learning going on here. I think that if people posted more music, even if it is only to let others how they were getting along, tere would be even more learning. The learning in the responses to a posting of a tune by someone are where there is quality learning.

You learn easily from others mistakes. I will try and post as much as possible so others can learn from your comments on my mistakes and playing as much as I can.

Not just Jazzwee by the way. Ther are many people who have passed on great advice. Chris and others as well. You are all fantastic folks.

Are there others that are practicing something that is taking along time that havnt maybe posted in a few months? Would be good just to see how people are getting along even if there is not much progress.

Talk Talk

Swing Cabaiste

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
What an incredible feel there SwingCabbage! It sounds really jazzy with the phrasing. I'm impressed and also a beginner at piano. I think you're a natural at this or you're really taking the advice truly to heart.

If my teacher heard your phrasing there he'd give you an A+.

Now just go back and listen to it as there are many wrong notes for each chord. Sometimes the notes are not in sync (downbeat not a chord tone). When you let a note ring,make sure it is a chord tone. Thirds are great for ringing of course.

On the problem chords, just sit down and noodle those for a moment. When you do stepwise movements only, you will realize that sometimes you have to resync (land on chord tone on downbeats) by either (a) repeating notes or (b) use a chromatic passtng tone on the offbeat.

Now the next step is to add steps in 3rds. Like I said in my instructions, try chord tones as approach notes, like 5 to 3. This spreads out the sound more. You can also practice spreading out to more octaves (doing the same thing).

I don't know how you're doing this so fast. Better get that new keyboard in since you'll be playing some real tunes in a year at this rate.

I have to admit that my instructions have changed too from before so maybe I'm figuring out how to explain this a little better. I can only refine it if people post music like you do. Otherwise as you say it's just "Talk Talk Talk" smile Keep doing this and we'll be meeting you in the advanced thread soon.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
SC,

that's really really good. I've only see a few of your post, and it seems like you haven't been on this thread very long, but the progress is stunning.

Here's one exercise that will take you 5 minutes.
Turn on recording.
Play for 1 minute like you just did.
Now play using all the same rules, but change one component. As you play your quavers, play them in blocks of 4, slightly accenting the first, and only the 1st of the 4. If that helps, you can count 1234 in your head.

Now listen back.

take care++

Last edited by knotty; 02/11/11 12:47 PM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Way to go SwingC! Swing by name and swingin' by nature. thumb

You've really been practising the swing, haven't you?

As you say, it is more successful in some places than other, but you keep good control, and it will only improve in time and with more practice.

S
S

Wow.
Not used to so much feedback folks.
Wow. I posted and then headed off to the arsehole of nowhere and come back to three very encouraging posts. Many thanks for listening and responding folks.

Originally Posted by jazzwee

Now just go back and listen to it as there are many wrong notes for each chord. Sometimes the notes are not in sync (downbeat not a chord tone). When you let a note ring,make sure it is a chord tone. Thirds are great for ringing of course.[\quote]

I knew this before posting but thought progress in other areas merited a posting. Indeed I had planned to ask about leaving a non chord tone ringing but was rushing for the hills. I didn't catch the out of sync so will follow this up with a further listen and try an catch it.

[quote=jazzwee]
On the problem chords, just sit down and noodle those for a moment. When you do stepwise movements only, you will realize that sometimes you have to resync (land on chord tone on downbeats) by either (a) repeating notes or (b) use a chromatic passtng tone on the offbeat.

Chromatic means that I don't have to use an adjacent note in the scale but can use a note a half step away even if not in the scale? Is this correct?

Now the next step is to add steps in 3rds. Like I said in my instructions, try chord tones as approach notes, like 5 to 3. This spreads out the sound more. You can also practice spreading out to more octaves (doing the same thing).

Will do.

Originally Posted by jazzwee

I don't know how you're doing this so fast. Better get that new keyboard in since you'll be playing some real tunes in a year at this rate.

Moved up to 80 bpm.
got me a yamaha p95

Page 170 of 187 1 2 168 169 170 171 172 186 187

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission