2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 6 invisible), 1,286 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
such unbridled republican drivel

Huh? I guess you don't really know Hitch very well. But you don't seem to need to know much before you go off half cocked.

Heck, I thought the King's wishy-washy attitude toward Nazi Germany, and his disapproval of Churchill, was common knowledge.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch
But what I thought was a bit ironic (if that is the correct word for this)...near the end of the movie, as the new king is giving his speech to the English people, telling them of the unavoidable war with Germany and asking them to be brave and be ready to meet the challenge, etc., the background music was Beethoven's 7th Symphony.

yes i caught that too, but it reminded me that in "the art of the piano" there was a segment on dame myra hess playing beethoven for the british troops. and great music SHOULD transcend politics.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by debrucey
Nice googling btb.

Certainly nice 'selective' googling.

Jason
He don't google too good.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Do es anyone think, like i do, that acting is ione of the most overrated jobs in the world? i mean, being a good actor is tough, but acting like most hollywood actors or actresses do looks just easy?

If anybody makes anything look easy they're working quite hard (as Mozart once said 'I do my practicing at home).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In response to the original post, pointing out the irony of a German-born composer's music playing at this particular part of an English film:

I suppose they could have put on some Elgar or something similar, but, really...so what?

Knowing what we know about Beethoven's politics, does anyone doubt if Ludwig saw what was happening in Germany in the 1930s, he would have sided with England?

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I am far from being a patriot.

btb #1616103 02/09/11 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by btb

Longest reigning British Monarch at 57 years , outdistancing Queens Victoria and Elizabeth I.

That is interesting as Britain has never had a Queen Elizabeth the first.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Anyhoo, I'd rather hear Beethoven's music used in The King's Speech than in A Clockwork Orange. wink

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
Ejay #1616541 02/09/11 11:27 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Ejay
Originally Posted by btb

Longest reigning British Monarch at 57 years , outdistancing Queens Victoria and Elizabeth I.

That is interesting as Britain has never had a Queen Elizabeth the first.

Indeed, though she was "Queen of France". Well, according to the English of course. It was George III who finally abandoned pretensions to the French throne ... ah, so now I know what argerichfan means with "we know about that one". wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
King George VI giving the Royal-wave at the end of WWII in 1945 from the balcony of Buckingham Palace ... with him the Queen and a beaming Winston Churchill ... left is Princess Elisabeth (future QEII) and to the right her younger sister Princess Margaret.
[Linked Image]

PS I’m presently glued to Lord Moran’s book Winston Churchill: The Struggle for Survival (864 pages) ...Physician to the PM from May 1940 ... as he notes in opening

“Winston Churchill is 65. He has just been appointed Prime Minister, and I have become his doctor, not because he wanted one, but because certain members of the Cabinet, who realized how essential he had become, have decided that somebody ought to keep an eye on his health.”

PPS Spike Milligan’s book “Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall” will just have to wait.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I haven't seen "The King's Speech," and probably won't, as it appears from all the buzz to be a pop-historical film of the sort that encourages deficient people to idolize the talentless and unproductive; a phenomenon even worse than idolizing certain celebrities for no reason other than they are celebrities.

Having disqualified myself from commenting further, I nevertheless will: the irony of using Beethoven's music seems fitting, given the irony of the British royal family being German.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Strangely Tomasino some of us won’t want to see the movie The King’s Speech ... watching Hollywood actors hamming their way through part of one’s life’s history will never come close to the touching drama of the real thing ... not to mention the irritation barbs of gross Yankee misconceptions expressed by others ... like this Lulu from Prof. PD

“Heck, I thought the King's wishy-washy attitude toward Nazi Germany,
and his disapproval of Churchill, was common knowledge.”

You wouldn’t believe a word of it, judging by the smile above on Churchill’s face.

PS Might I correct your close

"given the irony of the British royal family being German" ... "being OF aristocratic GERMAN (Greek and Russian) STOCK."

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tomasino
I haven't seen "The King's Speech," and probably won't, as it appears from all the buzz to be a pop-historical film of the sort that encourages deficient people to idolize the talentless and unproductive; a phenomenon even worse than idolizing certain celebrities for no reason other than they are celebrities.

that's too bad; you'll miss a great performance by colin firth.

when one realizes that almost all art is subjective a temporary suspension of disbelief allows a bit of pleasure to seep in.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
If anybody makes anything look easy they're working quite hard (as Mozart once said 'I do my practicing at home).

that or that its actually easy

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Wow! Thank you all for responding to my post. So much to digest, whether fact or fiction, theory or opinion, I just wish I had more brain cells to take it all in. History, especially European history, was never my strong suit. I had all I could do to manage a somewhat spotty grasp of American history.

That being said, while a few of you did touch a bit on what (I thought) the film was really about, I would like to expand/expound on that just a little more. IMO, the story was that of one man (just a man, really, nothing more) who, because of horribly traumatic experiences in his childhood by adults who ignored, belittled and abused him, suffered such anguish that he was unable to speak in public without stammering. But with the help of a wonderful teacher, he was able to find that confidence that was buried deep within, overcome his doubts of self-worth and with extraordinary bravery, defeat the effects that caused him such inner pain and turmoil. He rose to the occasion that was thrust upon him and did so (while not exactly happily) with grace and dignity. While the backdrop of this story was one of historic significance, I believe the movie was about the strength of the human spirit. And the actors were unbelievably talented in expressing this tale of man’s struggle to become all that he might be, whatever the odds. (Beethoven's music was indeed a perfect choice in this regard.)

Kathleen

Last edited by loveschopintoomuch; 02/10/11 11:57 AM.

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
... not to mention the irritation barbs of gross Yankee misconceptions expressed by others ... like this Lulu from Prof. PD

You wouldn’t believe a word of it, judging by the smile above on Churchill’s face.

Gotta hand it to you, btb, your logic is almost as cockeyed as your grammar! grin

Let's see, a benignly smiling Churchill stands on a balcony with an awkwardly waving George in early 1945, after six bloody years of war, and this supposedly tells us what George's views were in 1939 as an anxious Europe began the descent into heck. Yeah, right. Only in your mind is this called logic. But people who have made up their mind just construct "evidence" as a way to feel good.

1945 ≠ 1940

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

Four kings:
King Edward VII (far right),
his son George, Prince of Wales, later George V (far left),
and grandsons Edward, later Edward VIII (rear),
and Albert, later George VI (foreground), c. 1908.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
... not to mention the irritation barbs of gross Yankee misconceptions expressed by others ... like this Lulu from Prof. PD

Gotta hand it to you, btb, your logic is almost as cockeyed as your grammar! grin

At least he called you a Lulu! That's got to be worth something.

Maybe if I'm brutal enough in my arguments he'll call me a Wozzeck. smile

-Jason

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission