Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1616508 - 02/09/11 09:43 PM Papps wedges - who uses them?
Chris Leslie Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
My preferred method of muting uprights is to use papps wedges, apart from strip muting the temperament section. It appears that rubber wedges are the norm from my reading on this forum. My first teacher showed me how to insert papps wedges between hammer shanks and that is how I am still most comfortable. After setting the temperament, the rest of the piano can be rapidly tuned with a single wedge, although I usually use two when working up through the upper octaves.

Do other forum members use this method, or have criticisms?

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#1616525 - 02/09/11 10:02 PM Re: Papps wedges - who uses them? [Re: Chris Leslie]
Steven Bolstridge Offline

Loc: Fitzgerald ,GA
I've used the Papps treble mute for years. Speedy. Great for pitch raises.

#1616528 - 02/09/11 10:07 PM Re: Papps wedges - who uses them? [Re: Chris Leslie]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
I use one Papps mute, but only in the treble, in combination with a narrow rubber mute or a wooden stick mute (leather covered). The Papps make a bit of a click but you get used to it. This is also my weapon of choice for overdamper pianos.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#1616536 - 02/09/11 10:14 PM Re: Papps wedges - who uses them? [Re: Chris Leslie]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
I use them sometimes. I found that it helped to roughen up the surface where they touch the strings so they don't slip out as easy.
www.pianova.net

#1616596 - 02/10/11 12:15 AM Re: Papps wedges - who uses them? [Re: Chris Leslie]
Jim Moy Offline

Loc: Fort Collins - Loveland, CO
I carry a couple of them. Just the thing for some hard to reach situations. I strip and rubber mute and Papps, depending on what I feel like, and the situation at hand. Ryan, thanks for the roughening-up tip, I think I'll do that to mine.
http://www.moypiano.com

#1616612 - 02/10/11 12:53 AM Re: Papps wedges - who uses them? [Re: Chris Leslie]
Gadzar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mexico City
In tuning verticals I always use one Papps mute in the treble, where there is no place for a wedge mute between the dampers and the hammers. Where there are no more dampers I usually get back to the two wedge mutes I use for the tenor notes.

For birdcage pianos a Papps mute is imperative!

Serving Mexico City and suburbs.

http://www.afinacionpianos.com.mx

#1616663 - 02/10/11 04:23 AM Re: Papps wedges - who uses them? [Re: Chris Leslie]
pianocat88 Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Typically I use the white rubber wedges on the treble in uprights but there are situations where no other mutes will work. Good to have as many choices of tools with you as possible. Also, the box the mute comes in makes a handy straight edge.

#1616673 - 02/10/11 05:56 AM Re: Papps wedges - who uses them? [Re: pianocat88]
wayne walker Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Windsor,Nova Scotia Canada
I've been using Papps mute since I started tuning almost 30 years ago. I use it after the treble break. They also come in handy for retrieving rubber mute that fall down into the action between the hammers and dampers. I keep a spare in my case because at some point they will break.

#1616713 - 02/10/11 08:00 AM Re: Papps wedges - who uses them? [Re: Chris Leslie]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Typically I use rubber and felt mutes. I cut the vertical mutes on angles clipping off the very edges of them making both sides into a V but the middle of the felt is still flat for about 1/8" or so. Easily fits between the strings and dampers better. If I can remember, always a problem for me, I'll take a picture and post it sometime... I do likewise with my bass rubber mutes. It takes away that little useless flap that gets in the way that is left over on brand new mutes if you know what I mean. Makes the mutes mushy.

For some reason, Papps and me never seem to get along. And yes, I was a good boy, papps spanked me a lot of times though! OHHH! You're talking mutes! smile Papps seems like more of a waste of time than a time saver. Unless I'm picture something different? But, then again, I'm probably using them wrong. So what else is new huh?
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1616732 - 02/10/11 08:44 AM Re: Papps wedges - who uses them? [Re: Chris Leslie]
Mark R. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
Jerry,

Please do take pictures and post them here. I'm trying to understand what you wrote (both sides a V), but for the life of me... wink

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#1616733 - 02/10/11 08:46 AM Re: Papps wedges - who uses them? [Re: Chris Leslie]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
I just usually run through with a single rubber mute.

#1617135 - 02/10/11 06:34 PM Re: Papps wedges - who uses them? [Re: Chris Leslie]
Gadzar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mexico City

For those of you who don't use a papps mute then how do you deal with the high treble damped section in uprights, where there is not enough place between the dampers and hammer's heads to insert the wedge mutes?

Sometimes I find my self losing alot of time trying to make the rubber mutes fit in there and still allow the hammer's head to strike the strings.

Serving Mexico City and suburbs.

http://www.afinacionpianos.com.mx

#1617171 - 02/10/11 07:30 PM Re: Papps wedges - who uses them? [Re: Gadzar]
Jim Moy Offline

Loc: Fort Collins - Loveland, CO
Originally Posted By: Gadzar
...how do you deal with the high treble damped section in uprights, where there is not enough place between the dampers and hammer's heads to insert the wedge mutes?

I strip-mute it the way I think Bill Bremmer has described here before:

Cut a strip in half lengthwise so it's relatively narrow. Insert as usual, taking a bit of care in making the loops not too big, then slide them down carefully so they tuck in under the dampers. Usually I have to lift the dampers carefully with my fingers if the pedal doesn't bring them up high enough for the loops to fit. On the way back down while tuning unisons, you get good at doing it carefully so it doesn't mess up the damper felts.

Since I'm already on a roll by the time I get to the top of the damped section, I keep going above the damper section doing the same thing until I run out of strip length. It usually requires two sections of the narrower strip mute.

If it doesn't work for whatever reason, I pull out the Papps mute smile

Edited by Jim Moy (02/10/11 07:31 PM)
http://www.moypiano.com

#1617178 - 02/10/11 07:37 PM Re: Papps wedges - who uses them? [Re: Chris Leslie]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I use narrow rubber mutes. The smallest from Schaff are 1/4" wide.

#1617199 - 02/10/11 08:33 PM Re: Papps wedges - who uses them? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
pppat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jakobstad, Finland
Originally Posted By: Jerry Groot RPT
Papps seems like more of a waste of time than a time saver. Unless I'm picture something different? But, then again, I'm probably using them wrong. So what else is new huh?

smile One can get very fast with papps mutes, though, Jerry. It's a little bit like eating with chop sticks! :-D

I use papps mutes in uprights a lot, and I especially like the fact that I can single out any string of the unison easily, if needed.

Edited by pppat (02/11/11 12:38 AM)

Senior Lecturer (jazz piano, composition, music theory, conducting) @ Novia University of Applied Sciences, Jakobstad, Finland
- - - -
Dedicated to learning the craft of tuning. Getting better.

#1617302 - 02/10/11 11:30 PM Re: Papps wedges - who uses them? [Re: Chris Leslie]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Hi Gang,

This first picture is what I do to most of my mutes. First, they are way to thin at the very TIP. So, first, I make a formation kind of like the V but no so drastic I guess, as I did here with a scissors on both edges coming down on an angle. It makes it easier to get in by the treble dampers which by the way, I always push down on the sustaining pedal before I insert the mutes otherwise you can very easily push the felt off from the dampers.

Secondly, after I have it "formed" if you will, I trim maybe 1/16" off of the from lip-edge of the mute to make it a bit stiffer, not so flippy, or floppy.

The 2nd picture is the entire length of both mutes laid on a typical sized paper toweling. I love the longer mutes. They are easier to get into things. It gives me more working room. And, if they start to fall (BDB) no strings attached, hehe, I can catch them quicker! smile

www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1617327 - 02/11/11 12:36 AM Re: Papps wedges - who uses them? [Re: Chris Leslie]
pppat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Nice pics, Jer!

Without exception, I find the last couple of dampers in the treble to be severely assaulted on their right side by earlier tuners. Are you people guilty of this annoyance too, or is it a local thing? smile

With papps mutes, that simply doesn't happen.

Pat

Edited by pppat (02/11/11 12:37 AM)

Senior Lecturer (jazz piano, composition, music theory, conducting) @ Novia University of Applied Sciences, Jakobstad, Finland
- - - -

#1617332 - 02/11/11 12:43 AM Re: Papps wedges - who uses them? [Re: Chris Leslie]
pppat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

PS --- I had to make my own mutes out of school rubber (? is there a better word for this? - sounds ambiguous smile ) because the rubber mutes I ordered as a novice from international piano supply where heavily latex-based, and I developed severe allergic reactions to them. --- DS

- - - -

#1617558 - 02/11/11 09:56 AM Re: Papps wedges - who uses them? [Re: Chris Leslie]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I find the last couple of dampers in the treble to be severely assaulted on their right side by earlier tuners.

Thanks Patrick. Yes, I find far to many dampers that have just been SHOVED with the mutes and then when the notes are played, the felt tears apart from the damper head. Maddening to run into that when it is easily avoidable.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1617594 - 02/11/11 10:58 AM Re: Papps wedges - who uses them? [Re: BDB]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
Originally Posted By: BDB
I use narrow rubber mutes. The smallest from Schaff are 1/4" wide.

Same here. In the upper treble I may have to lift the damper a bit to get it low enough.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
100 registered (Abby Pianoman, 36251, A Guy, AndrewAJC, accordeur, 26 invisible), 1422 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75369 Members
42 Forums
155817 Topics
2288010 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How important are the wheels for you?
by doremi
Today at 06:46 PM
Classical teacher for non-classical student?
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 06:12 PM
A220-A440 Temperament recording
by Hakki
Today at 03:34 PM
Yamaha CLP-430 or Kawai CA-15
by ilkergoksen
Today at 02:08 PM
Just wanted to say thank you
by bobamser
Today at 01:49 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission