Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1618729 - 02/13/11 05:23 AM Famous homosexual pianist?
feebeeliszt Offline

Loc: London
There are three kinds of pianists: Jewish pianists, homosexual pianists, and bad pianists.

Can you name a few famous homosexual pianist? I can only think of these: Horowitz (though he denied), Stephen Hough, Mikhail Pletnev (I imagine he should be one according to his behaviour in Thailand)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1618733 - 02/13/11 05:37 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: feebeeliszt]
Percival Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Isn't Tchaikovsky believed to have been gay? I don't think he was a pianist though.

#1618737 - 02/13/11 05:55 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: feebeeliszt]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Liberace, Earl Wild and Jorge Bolet though I don't see the point in this exercise.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1618745 - 02/13/11 06:12 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: feebeeliszt]
cast12 Offline

Van Cliburn

#1618757 - 02/13/11 07:04 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: feebeeliszt]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
What's the point? Next will we list brown-eyed pianists? Pianists whose names contain the letter "z"? I'm going outside.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1618760 - 02/13/11 07:10 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: feebeeliszt]
eric_626 Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
I often wonder about the attribution of that famous quote.

Did Horowitz really say that? Or was it one of those quotes where the original statement somehow got twisted into something that everyone remembers even though it's not quite correct?

I've always found it amusing though.

#1618766 - 02/13/11 07:19 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: feebeeliszt]
Hank Drake Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Originally Posted By: feebee_liszt
There are three kinds of pianists: Jewish pianists, homosexual pianists, and bad pianists.

Can you name a few famous homosexual pianist? I can only think of these: Horowitz (though he denied), Stephen Hough, Mikhail Pletnev (I imagine he should be one according to his behaviour in Thailand)

First, don't equate homosexuality with pedophilia - there is no correlation between the two (and that subject was hashed over ad nauseum when the Pletnev story surfaced).

Second, Pletnev was cleared of the Thailand charges.

Third, what does it matter whether a performer of note is homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual, transexual, or asexual? Unless their sexuality causes some extramusical conflict (as with Horowitz, who tried to change his sexuality at horrific cost) how does it affect their music making? After all, are homosexual pianists only capable of playing "certain kinds" of music?

Edited by Hank Drake (02/13/11 07:20 AM)

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell

#1618768 - 02/13/11 07:20 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: feebeeliszt]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
What difference does it make if they're homosexual or not? Horowitz obviously used to come out with some crap.

#1618769 - 02/13/11 07:22 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: feebeeliszt]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
playing the piano certainly make me feel gay. It's like nothing else.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1618770 - 02/13/11 07:22 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: feebeeliszt]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Obviously someone doesn't think the moderators have enough to do. Personally, I enjoy a good locked thread.

#1618775 - 02/13/11 07:28 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: apple*]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: apple*
playing the piano certainly make me feel gay. It's like nothing else.

hahahahaha!

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1618784 - 02/13/11 07:49 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: -Frycek]
feebeeliszt Offline

Originally Posted By: stores
What's the point? Next will we list brown-eyed pianists? Pianists whose names contain the letter "z"? I'm going outside.

Originally Posted By: -Frycek
Obviously someone doesn't think the moderators have enough to do. Personally, I enjoy a good locked thread.

Is curiosity a fair enough reason? If you've found the thread pointless, you don't even have to come in.

Edited by feebee_liszt (02/13/11 07:52 AM)

#1618786 - 02/13/11 07:50 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: feebeeliszt]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il

and there is only one kind of composer (german), blacks are good at sports, and all moslems are terrorists.

for chrissakes, where's a moderator when you need one?

#1618790 - 02/13/11 07:58 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: feebeeliszt]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Is curiosity a fair enough reason? If you've found the thread pointless, you don't even have to come in.

Feebee, I just admire your nerve. smile Seriously. I'm afraid though that between the homophobes and the PC zealots a simple, civil discussion isn't possible. (I'm also curious. All I can think of is Horowitz and my old favorite, Liberace. Everytime I hear that quote, my response, is "Explain Liszt.")

#1618791 - 02/13/11 08:02 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: -Frycek]
feebeeliszt Offline

Feebee, I just admire your nerve. smile (Also, I can't think of all that many either. My old favorite Liberace of course.)

Oh well then thanks for the compliment smile

#1618797 - 02/13/11 08:19 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: feebeeliszt]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
I'm just supposing.. I REALLY don't ever want to know this type of information about people and it certainly isn't polite to ask (and I'm really not a moderator, i used to be)...

you ought to take a look at Cameron Carpenter (an organist) on you tube. He is so talented he is like superman. he's unbelievably awesome.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1618799 - 02/13/11 08:26 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: -Frycek]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm afraid though that between the homophobes and the PC zealots a simple, civil discussion isn't possible.

frycek, if you're accusing me of being a homophobe or a pc zealot you're sorely mistaken. however, when one starts a thread promoting stereotypes (yes, even the cutesy, insidious type) you can rest assured some of us who have seen where this can lead will push back.

#1618825 - 02/13/11 09:09 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: feebeeliszt]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
Calm down politically correct people. It may not matter whether a famous pianist is gay or not, but I think its still an interesting discussion. It's also quite plain to see that Horowitz, if he actually said that, was just making a joke, and I can't imagine an intelligent homosexual or jew or anyone else being offended by it, nor should they be.

My hunch is that there are quite a few gay pianists, but as the media doesn't care about their private lives in the same way as footballers or other celebrities then it's never really revealed. Van Cliburn certainly is, as was Richter most probably (another case of cover wife as with Horowitz). Tippet was gay, though better known as a composer than a pianist. Andrew Wilde is not particularly famous but he's definitely on the list. I think Cherkassky was too, according to Stephen Hough anyway.
Esa-Pekka Salonen - Dichotomie
Kevin Oldham - Ballade, Op. 17

#1618842 - 02/13/11 09:25 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: Entheo]
Percival Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Entheo

and there is only one kind of composer (german), blacks are good at sports, and all moslems are terrorists.

for chrissakes, where's a moderator when you need one?

Censorship is far worse than this thread.

How do we know the opening poster isn't wondering about their own sexuality?

Edited by Percival (02/13/11 09:26 AM)

#1618846 - 02/13/11 09:29 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: Entheo]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I'm afraid though that between the homophobes and the PC zealots a simple, civil discussion isn't possible.

frycek, if you're accusing me of being a homophobe or a pc zealot you're sorely mistaken. however, when one starts a thread promoting stereotypes (yes, even the cutesy, insidious type) you can rest assured some of us who have seen where this can lead will push back.

Hey, I wasn't talking about you. Or, who knows, maybe I was. All I know is that there are some subjects that these days that even the most polite, rational and dispassionate people are afraid to broach. Apparently, even the mere mention of someone's sexual orientation prompts an immediate knee jerk presumption of homophobia. And this implies that it's a subject too shameful to be mentioned in polite company, rather like venereal disease. Maybe we need to take a very close look at why we rush to stifle discussion of certain subjects and why we patronize certain groups with our "protection." Patronage aways implies condescension, and condescension, the inferiority of the recipient.

#1618848 - 02/13/11 09:32 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: -Frycek]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hey, I wasn't talking about you. Or, who knows, maybe I was. All I know is that there are some subjects that these days that even the most polite, rational and dispassionate people are afraid to broach. Apparently, even the mere mention of someone's sexual orientation prompts an immediate knee jerk presumption of homophobia. And this implies that it's a subject too shameful to be mentioned in polite company, rather like venereal disease. Maybe we need to take a very close look at why we rush to stifle discussion of certain subjects and why we patronize certain groups with our "protection." Patronage aways implies condescension, and condescension, the inferiority of the recipient.

Agreed. It discussions such as this is very rarely the minorities in question accusing people of prejudice.

#1618861 - 02/13/11 09:59 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: debrucey]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: debrucey

Agreed. It discussions such as this is very rarely the minorities in question accusing people of prejudice.

not surprisingly, you miss my point entirely.

#1618870 - 02/13/11 10:13 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: debrucey]
Tim Adrianson Offline
500 Post Club Member

A couple of general comments to this thread --

I'm quite sure Horowitz DID make the quote cited above, and that he DID intend it to be taken as a joke. However, this "joke" is packed with serious import. At the time he made this "crack", homosexuality was not only not tolerated, but was still a criminal activity. It was his sly way of alluding to the significant homosexual presence in the classical music world. The "burlesque" of the joke, of course, was that EVERY person of pianistic "significance" in the classical world was either Jewish and/or homosexual -- and of course that's not true.
What is NOT so funny is that there is a virulent homophobic strain (at least here in the USA) that regards classical music as "fag music", and all the people who perform or are vitally interested in classical music are "fags" or "faggoty". I deliberately use the insulting and derogatory term because that really is in no way a "joke" -- and because it's still out there as a trian of thought

#1618871 - 02/13/11 10:15 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: Entheo]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

not surprisingly, you miss my point entirely.

And you miss mine.

#1618872 - 02/13/11 10:16 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: feebeeliszt]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Where's the moderator?

When the topic was started at 4:23am, he was asleep. Now it's 9:10am, and I'm awake and fed and starting my day.

But, I think I'll leave the thread open just to punish those who keep bumping this pointless thread to the top.

Remember, every time you reply to a thread, it moves it back to the top of the topic list in the forum, making it easier for people to notice, read, and respond.

If you really think a thread is pointless and want it to die, then DON'T respond to it.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1618876 - 02/13/11 10:19 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: feebeeliszt]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

OK, Big K. I'm going back to my piano. What about the rest of you lugs?

#1618880 - 02/13/11 10:20 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: feebeeliszt]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I'm still confused as to why people think this thread is pointless when we've just had one about world of warcraft.

#1618889 - 02/13/11 10:30 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: debrucey]
tomasino Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Someone just up-thread wrote that they can't imagine a homosexual or a Jew or anyone being offended.

Really! How about a straight? Should I be offended?

That sexist quip, hopefully misattributed, categorizes me as being a bad pianist, and puts the authority of a great and highly respected pianist behind the categorization.

My reaction is not PC--it is PO'd.

Tomasino
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

#1618891 - 02/13/11 10:31 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: feebeeliszt]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Only if you think horowitz was being serious, which of course he wasnt.

#1618914 - 02/13/11 10:58 AM Re: Famous homosexual pianist? [Re: Tim Adrianson]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Tim Adrianson

What is NOT so funny is that there is a virulent homophobic strain (at least here in the USA) that regards classical music as "fag music", and all the people who perform or are vitally interested in classical music are "fags" or "faggoty". I deliberately use the insulting and derogatory term because that really is in no way a "joke" -- and because it's still out there as a trian of thought

I think the biggest problem with that is not that they regard classical music as being gay, but that even if that were true gay is regarded as an undesireable thing to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
106 registered (accordeur, angga888, antony, Ashish, Anne'sson, 34 invisible), 1251 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251515 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission