Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1619524 - 02/14/11 04:11 AM New Piano - Do you take into account anticipated tone change
faulhorn Offline

For another musical instrument that I am well versed in, the acoustic guitar, I select new instruments in part with a ear towards what the tone will become. The greatest changes are in the first few dozen hours, and then the rest of the year. If a guitars sounds 'just right' at the beginning in its balance and tonal color, I anticipate that the guitar will become too 'muddy' in time. Guitars get warmer as it breaks in which is opposite of the piano.

I wonder if you do the same for pianos. If a piano sounded just 'perfect' (I know, a bit of an exaggeration), once the hammer harden, would not the tone then become too bright/hard? Do you select a piano with a slightly warmer/muddier tone, anticipating that it will brighten?

And how fast does a new piano's tone changes? Is there an early time period when the greatest changes come?

We are having an absolutely wonderful time as a family looking at pianos and encountering just the most wonderful people in the industry. At the end of our journey, we'll have a lot of people to thank for their help but that will be a different post.

F

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1619545 - 02/14/11 05:27 AM Re: New Piano - Do you take into account anticipated tone change [Re: faulhorn]
Bunneh Offline

Loc: Berlin
I doubt many people do...
If such a change happens, it happens very gradually and can be reversed or improved by voicing work from a skilled technician. Many high-end pianos even come with a free voicing in-home after the purchase to ensure you have the tone you want.

However, what does very much matter and should be taken into account is the acoustic properties of the room. A piano in a carpeted 2500 sq. ft. showroom will sound *nothing* like a piano in a hardwood floor 200 sq ft room. That is something you should take into account (and has nothing to do with piano size)

#1619557 - 02/14/11 07:00 AM Re: New Piano - Do you take into account anticipated tone change [Re: Bunneh]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Bunneh
However, what does very much matter and should be taken into account is the acoustic properties of the room. A piano in a carpeted 2500 sq. ft. showroom will sound *nothing* like a piano in a hardwood floor 200 sq ft room. That is something you should take into account (and has nothing to do with piano size)
Somewhat of an exaggeration, I think. My Mason BB was tried out in a large showroom with hardwood floors but my living room is tiny and carpeted. Sound was very similar IMO.

It is so complicated to try and predict how a piano may sound in a different environment that the only thing I think one should avoid is a very large or very loud piano that will be placed in a small completely enclosed space. Otherwise, in general one should choose a piano whose sound is most appealing in the showroom.

Edited by pianoloverus (02/14/11 08:19 AM)

#1619573 - 02/14/11 07:41 AM Re: New Piano - Do you take into account anticipated tone change [Re: faulhorn]
Rotom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I tried to predict what my piano would sound like in a small carpeted room compared to a large warehouse. I think it worked, as it sounds the same as it sounded in the showroom. but it is probably a trial and error thing and I just got lucky. also, the tone changed quite quickly after I started playing it regularly, but that may be the effect of 4 hours a day on it for 3 weeks straight. but of course, choose what sounds best in the showroom. That's usually the most accurate thing to do. Use your senses!
rotom

#1619579 - 02/14/11 07:55 AM Re: New Piano - Do you take into account anticipated tone change [Re: faulhorn]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Yes, the hammers will become compacted and hard over time… hammer voicing is usually part of a routine maintenance plan with the best piano technicians. Some piano tuners do not attempt voicing.

The need for voicing depends on how much and how hard you play… but, don’t let that stop you from enjoying a fine acoustic piano. They are a lot of fun, if you like music of all kinds.

Best regards,

Rick

#1619585 - 02/14/11 08:05 AM Re: New Piano - Do you take into account anticipated tone change [Re: faulhorn]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Voicing changes with time and playing. Yes, the hammer compacts more and the felt tends to harden but, there is no way that any one of us can tell or even begin to guess just how much and to what degree this will take place. It all depends on the piano, who is playing it, how hard it is being played and how many hours a day. The more use it receives, the more it will likely change as will the tuning and regulation.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1619624 - 02/14/11 09:12 AM Re: New Piano - Do you take into account anticipated tone change [Re: faulhorn]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Just to add to Jerry's great answer above, what kind of hammers and how they have been treated is another variable. Some hammers "hold" voicing better than others.

One should really like the sound in the showrrom. Over time a good tech can "craft" the tone in the home to "optimize" the piano for both the room and the players desires.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1619656 - 02/14/11 10:19 AM Re: New Piano - Do you take into account anticipated tone change [Re: faulhorn]
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
For home use, I'd pick what I thought was close to "perfect" in the showroom, taking into account how the showroom differs from the size/materials/shape/placement of the room in which it will ultimately live.

I did make a different decision with the (incoming) piano for my office at the university, though. The dealer had 3 Steinway A's in their smallish selection room. One was very well-prepped, but was voiced on the hotter/brighter side...probably too much so for my office (better for a large living room). I opted to work with a good technician at their store for several hours to refine a relatively unprepped model A that was a bit darker/mellower. The result was an instrument that was just slightly mellower than I prefer-- given the many hours of use it will see every weekday and the expected level of maintenance it will receive, I expect its voice will open up to a reasonable level for my office in a short time.

The delivery is slated for Wednesday, so I guess we'll see soon enough if I made the right decision!
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#1619668 - 02/14/11 10:44 AM Re: New Piano - Do you take into account anticipated tone change [Re: faulhorn]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
This is just my opinion, but something to keep in mind… based on my own experience (which is not a lot) I would say that voicing doesn’t really change the basic tone signature of a piano… it merely makes the tone that is already there either mellower or brighter (whether you are voicing down or up).

Some techs will temporarily adjust the una corda pedal some in lieu of voicing to buy some time.

It seems to me that the only way to really change the basic tone signature of a piano is to replace the hammers.

Of course, I could be wrong...

Rick

#1620116 - 02/14/11 09:00 PM Re: New Piano - Do you take into account anticipated tone change [Re: Rickster]
faulhorn Offline

Thanks for the responses. Appreciated.

I'd still like to:

1. Get a sense of how much sense in general does the tone change for a new grand - is it clearly noticeable in the first 6 months to a year, or is it a very subtle change?

2. A the store, is there a huge difference in perception of tone with a piano in the middle of the floor versus one along a wall? Would the one along the wall sound 'muddier' but more warm?

Thanks,
F

#1620170 - 02/14/11 09:54 PM Re: New Piano - Do you take into account anticipated tone change [Re: faulhorn]
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Hi Faulhorn,

I would imagine the change in tone would be commensurate with the type/quality of hammer used (beyond my ability to speak about authoritatively) and the frequency/intensity of use. Two years ago, a new set of hammers was hung on one piano in my office, while the other piano's hammers were filed and voiced a bit. It took a year for the tone to change, but those pianos are played roughly 4 hours a day, except in summer. This would take much longer than a year in a typical home situation.

With regard to tone in a store vs. in a home, that's probably a really complex answer; I probably would ask to have a piano moved out of a corner (for example) to make sure what I'm hearing is the piano and not some weird bunch of phase relationships. I think there was an article about piano placement in the Piano Buyer, and hopefully some of the folks who work in sales will chime in with some helpful info.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
88 registered (Atrys, ASLevelMusicTheory, 36251, AZNpiano, 25 invisible), 1110 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153597 Topics
2251165 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
Today at 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
Today at 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
CA glue applications
by accordeur
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission