2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,893 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 21 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 20 21
Final batch for me:

41. jotur/Cathy Turner - Amazing Grace
Amazing Grace is one of the pieces we Alfred Adult students must contend with near the end of one of the books. I liked your version much better and the ending was particularly interesting.

42. PhilzPiano - Prelude in E minor Op. 28 No. 4
For eighteen months of "serious learning", you did a wonderful job on this much loved selection. It's one of those pieces which you can continue to work on and bring more and more to as your own skills and ear continue to grow (I know, I've been doing so with this piece for some time now).

43. Yamaha G-3 & P-80 / Mike WHite - Milonga del angel
I love the big full sound you get on this piece. All those key changes must have been fun to work through! A very enjoyable selection, and well played.

44. MegumiNoda - Intermezzo Op. 118 No. 2
A fine piece for Valentine's Day indeed, and you played it with such great feeling. Lovely!

45. Wisebuff - In Church Op 39 No 24
I think you most assuredly did this piece justice. I was unfamiliar with this selection by Tchaikovsky and found it most enjoyable to list to.

46. ShiroKuro - Sunburst
That was great ShiroKuro! It reminds me a little of the type of thing Vince Guaraldi might come up with, and it certainly did bring a little sunshine into my day.

47. spidaman - A moment lost
I've never really tried playing anything more than a simple melody by ear, but even from that sort of minor effort, I know I couldn't do the sort of thing you've accomplished here. Very impressive.

48. Laura aka ten left thumbs - Moonlight Sonata, Op 27 no 2, 1st movement
I just finished working on this piece about a month ago myself. You did a tremendous job with it. The only technical feedback I would offer is the same thing I have struggled with; keeping the melody (played mostly with the 5th finger of the right hand) more prominent that the constant arpeggios being played with the same hand.

49. grotrianer - Sonata in c-minor op.10, no.1: 2nd mvt. - Adagio Molto
I thought you played this very well, and you sure woke me up on some of those fortissimo entrances! You exhibit a get a great deal of control over the wide range of dynamics in this piece.

50. Bunneh - Barcarolle, No. 6 from Troisième Recueil de Chants, op. 65.
Nicely played! It does indeed sound like it would be a bit of a workout for the left hand.

51. Hawgdriver (Leon) - Prelude in D-flat major, Op. 28 #15, 'raindrop'
You say that you have been playing for 15 months. Has all that time been dedicated to this one piece? That's the only way I can make sense out of your ability to play it as well as you have after this amount of time at the piano. I'm simply amazed, terrific job!

52. bluekeys - Invention #13
One the best known, and my favorite, of Bach's Inventions. It is amazing how much extra work is involved in taking a piece from "I can play it" to "performance level" isn't it. I think you played this very well, and didn't mind the tempo as played one bit.

53. custard apple - A Time for Love
I was not familiar with this selection, but found it quite enjoyable. You play it with a nice rich, room filling sound.

54. TTigg / Steve C - I Giorni
So this is what you've been doing since you left Alfreds, sounds great! I love the pace of the piece and the way it keeps driving forward, pauses for a moment of quite reflection, then moves on again. Wonderful performance!

55. Copper - Lullaby
A fine performance of this seemingly universally known Brahms piece.

56. ddh - Daniel - Les lulus (The pigtails)
A baeutiful selection played with great feeling and emotion. Well done!

57. mcasl - Hob XVI:6, Sonata in G major, 1st mov.
A fine jaunty performance, well played! I hope you find participation beneficial and continue to join in on future ABF recitals.

58. edtek - Winter Twilight
It definitely would have been nice to hear this recording without the "automatic gain control" messing with you dynamics. Still I think you did a commendable job on this performance and hope you find your getting the enjoyment out of playing that makes you want to stick with it this time around.

59. Starr Keys - Kiss from a Rose
A fine ending for this recital. I enjoyed the majestic feel you brought to this piece.

A truly amazing (and humbling) set this time around. If I didn’t know otherwise, I’d think the ABF Recitals were something you had to slowly work your way up to.

Undone

[Edited for formatting only]

Last edited by Undone; 02/18/11 01:17 PM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by LaValse
Thanks for all the comments - going into weekend mode now - 'hic. A few people have expressed interest in the Scriabin piece - PDF is here:-

http://www.sailwave.com/music/op-11-04.pdf

Thank you for posting the score. You played the Scriabin beautifully. Very much enjoyed your YouTube videos as well.

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
Hi everyone --

As usual, a round of applause for all performers and then some more for Monica for doing all the organizational work. I'll post more individualized comments later, but for now, I just want to say that I've enjoyed listened to all of you -- the recital never fails to introduce me to new music (or new ways of listening to the well-known classics).

Also, many thanks to those of you who have taken the time to post feedbacks. I really appreciate your comments! Sorry that the recording condition is a bit chaotic. The classroom is sometimes used for percussion storage. To reduce the reverb on the drum set, I dialed the microphone level way down, so the sound is probably quite muffled. But even in the best of circumstances, I noticed that my recording quality just has not been as clear as some of yours. If you have some suggestions as to how to improve my setting (cheaply), I'd appreciate it

What I currently do: I record using a little camera (Sony Zi8) attached with an external microphone. I set the microphone on the piano desk (on the high register side). Afterwards, I upload the video (in .MOV format) to youtube, and then rip off the mp3 from one of those converter websites (I think I used video2mp3.net this time). In the past, I've also tried to record the audio stream directly using Audacity, but it always sounded a tad muffled to me. Is there some kind of post-processing that you guys do?

As for the dancing hands camera angle: that's mostly laziness on my part -- I just sat the camera on the flat space on the far right of the keyboard because there isn't anything else to prop it up. Maybe one day, I'll do a picture story like BenPiano had done when he played Bartok; or perhaps I can use more inspiration from the images LaValse picked :-)

Finally, a special thank to hawgdriver for suggesting the Radu Lupu recording. I also like Helene Grimaud's, though purists might consider her too "individualized." In any case, listening to the greats is always a humbling experience -- a lot more work ahead!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Didn't quite make it to the end, but almost......

38. AndyPlatt: That was just marvelous Andy. It was very Dolce sounding! And a phenomenal job playing so beautifully such a long piece. I think my record for piece length with no flubs is two minutes.

39. Edwin: Spectacular. I listened to your submission several times because it was so enjoyable. And....I dream of trilling as well as you do.

41. JoturCathy: Superbly played and a very beautiful arrangement. Couldn't get the LaValse's chosen image for your piece out of my head when I listened smile

42. Philzpiano: I am working on this piece right now. Your 9th measure is really great. I think that it is really trick to get the right hand to sing above the left here and you did it very nicely (I haven't managed that yet). You did a great job. I agree with you that this is a piece we are likely to revisit again and again and again, each return reaping additional rewards.

43: Mike White: I LOVE Piazzolla. I listened to your piece multiple times. Have you ever heard the Carter Brey/Christopher O'Riley Tango CD? I saw them together live and they performed a few pieces from it, phenomenal!!!! You did a beautiful job with this.

44: MegumiNoda: Very beautiful. Your performance gave me a sense of inner peace. Very lovely smooth playing.

45. Wisebuff: One of my favorite Op. 39 pieces. You played it very beautifully and your performance delightfully combined Somber and Sweetness.

46. ShiroKuro: Wow! This sounds just like its title. Your playing was phenomenal. You have a lot of talent!!!

47. Spidaman: How beautiful. You played with great emotion too. As a matter of fact, I prefer your expression to Nevue's. A real joy to hear.

48. Laura: Can't fail to please me with this piece, my all time favorite piano piece. You played it marvelously. I really enjoyed it.

49. Grotrianer: A delightful performance. Very nice expression, wonderful dynamics. And, how could anyone possibly get bored with this?

50. Bunneh: WOW!!! Absolutely Sublime. Truly expressive playing. Your playing is remarkable given the number of years you have been at it. I put this on my "someday" list.

51. Hawgdriver: I cannot describe how impressive your piece is. You are EXTREMELY talented and I am in awe of your playing. It is truly hard to believe how short of a time period you have been playing.

52. Bluekeys: This made me feel so happy (probably, in part, a contrast effect-I listened right after a Chopin piece)You did a beautiful job and I was really entertained by your playing. Thank you.

Christine

[Linked Image]
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
#51 Hawgdriver. Ah...a fellow Denver person. Beautiful piece played with sensitivity. Chopin must like too..

Thank you.

Originally Posted by Bunneh
hawgdriver:
I'll be honest - from your "time played" and your description I was scared of listening to this. It just started playing after I checked my own submission.

And it's fantastic! I brought up the idea of playing this about a year ago and my teacher told me to be patient and forget about it for now.

If I was able to play it like you do, I'd be perfectly content and I've playing twice as long. This is definitely a huge achievement! Congratulations!

Thank you very much.

Originally Posted by Inlanding
51. Hawgdriver (Leon) - Prelude in D-flat major, Op. 28 #15, 'raindrop' Is it any wonder why so many people consider Chopin first, at the expense of so many others? Your open letter to Chopin was classic! The dynamics you bring to the piece are very appropriate and you are really connecting with the music - it is a joy to hear! Such power and control. Bravo!!

Thank you, Glen. When I began I didn't think it would require so much effort--it was really to break up my efforts with other pieces that will take longer. Turns out it takes a lot of effort, and it's probably still not quite 'there'. Probably as close as an amateur with my experience could expect.

Originally Posted by Andy Platt
51. Hawgdriver (Leon) - Prelude in D-flat major, Op. 28 #15, 'raindrop' It seems almost impossible to me that you can pull off a performance of this wonderful prelude after 15 months playing. This was a wonderful, wonderful performance. I'm glad you feel you still have more to "find" - for me it had everything!

Thank you, I'm so glad it was listenable. A month ago I had some serious concerns it would not be so.

Originally Posted by CMohr
51. Hawgdriver (Leon) - Prelude in D-flat major, Op. 28 #15, 'raindrop' I am almost speechless...this is rapturous!! I can't think of a better word for your performance. And your letter to Chopin...well, you've put it all in this piece. I was very near tears-a truly moving listen. BRAVO!

This piece has moved me to tears. That I might be able to share that feeling brings me the greatest satisfaction.

Originally Posted by KeemaNan
I was very pleasantly surprised here, this piece is a massive undertaking after a year and a bit of playing - I was expecting to hear someone just getting through the notes. So I was impressed to find a really genuinely respectable performance of this piece. Actually, amazing. If I'd played this after a year it would have been a train-wreck ! Probably wouldn't be too pretty even now. So, bravo. A lot of hard work and talent has obviously gone into this performance.

Thank you very much. My wife was wondering why I kept going over it so much ('it sounds great, what are you doing, trying to be a concert pianist?'), so I am gladdened that it might have been worth it.

Originally Posted by BenPiano
51. Hawgdriver (Leon) - Prelude in D-flat major, Op. 28 #15, 'raindrop' - Very well played. Incredible for such a short period of time!

Thank you.

Originally Posted by MartinJB
51. Hawgdriver (Leon) - Prelude in D-flat major, Op. 28 #15, 'raindrop' Dude, 15 months, you’re pulling my leg. Just between us it’s 15 years, right. Very, Very, moving. Props to you.

That is a tremendous compliment, thank you.

Originally Posted by jazzwee
Excellent work Hawgdriver and impressive for a short time at the piano. You'll be going places! Time for some 10/1 smile

Geez, don't set the bar too low or anything! wink

Originally Posted by CarlosCC

51. Hawgdriver (Leon) - Prelude in D-flat major, Op. 28 #15, 'raindrop' - Leon, you are a brave. Only 15 months playing piano and you play like this? And the worst is the fact that you "offer" me a problem, because my wife (who is listening the recital with me) already said: "Carlos, no more Einaui! Your next attempt will be Chopin. I LOVE IT!"

Your family has exquisite taste. After listening to your Einauldi, I look forward to hearing your future performances. This one is was more difficult than I expected, so bring some courage to the task if your wife gets her way!

Originally Posted by LaValse
51. Hawgdriver (Leon) - Prelude in D-flat major, Op. 28 #15, 'raindrop' image that came to mind

The only think I was thinking was, 'please, please, no raindrops.' It's just me maybe, but I don't get raindrops from this work. Rain, while melanchoic, seems too pastoral, and this, while melancholic, is more bittersweet and compelling piece in my humble view. Of course I appreciate and respect everyone's interpretation. Then I saw the your image, men climbing a mountain, and I was surprised. There are many meanings in that image, and I'm choosing to interpret all of the pleasant ones wink The sense of ascent, the cold, the struggle, the closeness to mortality.

Originally Posted by Riddler
Love that piece! Lots of fire, lots of beauty. You brought out both. Great playing.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by TTigg
b]51. Hawgdriver (Leon) - Prelude in D-flat major, Op. 28 #15, 'raindrop'[/b]
15mths! You’re killing both me and Mark : ) nice work very well played!

This makes me feel proud, thank you.

Originally Posted by casinitaly
51Hawgdriver (Leon) Prelude in D-flat major, Op. 28 #15, 'raindrop' 15 months?? I am speechless. My most sincere compliments - you've done a splendid job! Loved those thundering chords, the darker moments clearly reflecting the vicissitudes of life. Once again, I choose to be inspired by a superior newbie pianist rather than daunted !!

It might be that my obsessive disorder is more pronounced than most, which isn't always good! Thank you so much Cheryl, comments like this keep me going.

Originally Posted by TX-Dennis
51 hawgdriver (Leon) - Prelude in D-flat major, Op. 28 #15, 'raindrop', Chopin
Well done. I love raindrop, and you brought out the dynamics tremendously well. Beautiful.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by wouter79
51. Hawgdriver Leon - Prelude in D-flat major, Op. 28 15, raindrop

piano sound: sterile and smooth, booming bass, but not too bad for a digital.

musical:
overall impression, like: Nice playing! The DP makes it sound all too smooth and sterile though. I would love to hear you play this on an acoustic!
phrasing: great long lines
use of dynamics: over the top surrealistic crescendos wink
articulation: mostly pedal
rubato, speed changes

technical:
clipping:no
balance L/R:ok
bass-treble balance: boomy synthetic bass
noise: no

Thank you for the detailed feedback, it's hard for me to find. When I played this on a Steinway my touch was exposed. My Ab's (the repeated note) often did not register because I was playing too softly. I do think the digital masks my technical inadequacy, or perhaps I would adapt to another keyboard quickly. I prefer this on an acoustic, but this is the only solution to playing at 2am with a sleeping wife and 2 year old!

Also, I am self-conscious about my pedal. I clearly do not have the best pedal technique, my G#'s in the middle section get clipped. I try for a moderate, incomplete pedal release to preserve the melody and feel, but the clipped G#'s scream out to me. This is difficult for me to fix at tempo. If I play the whole piece slower, it's do-able, but I don't have the musical muscles to play this at a Sokolov or Pogorelich pace...yet.

Originally Posted by Sam S
51. Hawgdriver (Leon) - Prelude in D-flat major, Op. 28 #15, 'raindrop' Your hard work paid off - absolutely fantastic.

Thank you, Sam.

Originally Posted by Edtek
51. Hawgdriver (Leon) – You being up an interesting point. I have always used chord voicing to mean in what order you play the notes. But I have learned in classical music it can also refer to the emphasis you place on each note in a chord. I think this is what separates the great from the merely good. Anyway you did a fine job with this piece and we even got a short story to read while we listened to it.

I can now bring out the upper melody in the two-note bass passages of the middle section, which is an improvement, but articulating single notes with a 4 or 5 finger in the RH four-note chords still eludes me. I think this just takes a lot of time at the keyboard to develop that touch. I'll come back to this piece later, when hopefully I can bring out more.

Originally Posted by Undone
You say that you have been playing for 15 months. Has all that time been dedicated to this one piece? That's the only way I can make sense out of your ability to play it as well as you have after this amount of time at the piano. I'm simply amazed, terrific job!

Thank you. I put a lot of time and effort into Schubert's Wanderer Fantasy (Allegro/ pt 4) early on. It was a contest between me and my best friend to see who could play it first, at least the first two pages. Perhaps I'll submit an incomplete rendition for the next recital, all these pieces I want to play take me so long to bring up to performance level. I also worked up Mussorgsky's Promenade for a previous recital, and that has helped me to pronounce four-note chords more evenly and cleanly. Overall, I've probably put about 1800 hours into the piano at this point, and maybe 500-600 hours on this piece. Some days I'll practice for 5-6 hours, which is less than I'd practice without all of life's other obligations. Yes, I'm obsessed with piano right now!

Thanks again for the compliments and feedback. Jazzwee, thanks for the constructive PM (I do realize it's not all the way there, even if it might be a relatively pleasant performance, but I do need help getting it 'all the way there'). I'm looking forward to the next recital and hearing all the pieces you all decide to perform!

Last edited by hawgdriver; 02/18/11 08:10 PM.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Wouter- regarding your question as to why I thought it sounded like I was in the room with you...

Maybe it's the acoustics of your room? Your recording sounded more like a "live" recording rather than a studio recording. I don't know if I'm explaining it well enough. I get the same feeling when listening to Sam Smith's submissions.

Think less - play more

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
I'm going out of town for a week (so glad I got to peruse all the comments, or the bulk of them before I leave!)

Before I go,

THANK YOU so much Carl, Riddler, TTigg, and Cathy heart. You all have made my week!

Think less - play more

[Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
hawgdriver,

Thank you for the detailed feedback, it's hard for me to find. When I played this on a Steinway my touch was exposed. My Ab's (the repeated note) often did not register because I was playing too softly. I do think the digital masks my technical inadequacy, or perhaps I would adapt to another keyboard quickly. I prefer this on an acoustic, but this is the only solution to playing at 2am with a sleeping wife and 2 year old!

Wow if you have a problem with the touch on a steinway then you probably have a problem with all pianos as most steinways have a lighter touch than average. Yes I have noticed also for instance on the N3 that you can play rediculously soft, way softer than on a real acoustic. I have a real acoustic but a light one and I also have problems when switching to a heavier model like a Yamaha.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
CMohr,

Thanks for the explanation. Yes I try to capture the room acoustics as well, while most others are using close mic'ing which I don't like.

But on my headphones it is still hard to hear and also on my hifi it was. You are using headphones or speakers?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by wouter79
hawgdriver,

Wow if you have a problem with the touch on a steinway then you probably have a problem with all pianos as most steinways have a lighter touch than average. Yes I have noticed also for instance on the N3 that you can play rediculously soft, way softer than on a real acoustic. I have a real acoustic but a light one and I also have problems when switching to a heavier model like a Yamaha.

I changed the settings on my keyboard, which has a decent weighting and feel as far as those go. I really enjoyed playing a Shigeru Kawai a couple months ago, I thought it had better touch than the Steinway, which probably saw a lot of use.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Performances 31-40:

31. Augustina - Somewhere Out There from an American Tail Very nice Augustina. I loved the authenticity of the page turn too!

32. Undone - Toccata in D minor This would have been a cool tune for the fall recital as I love this piece. If you have a harpsichord setting you should try it on that as well as it sounds double creepy!. Nice job.

33. LisztAddict - Prelude in b minor For some reason your recording was extremelly quiet..(gain set to low?) but after a quick volume adjustment everything was fine. Beautiful piece performed extremely well.

34. Mohan Karthik - So far away Nice soft and flowing playing. A very relaxing performance

35. ladypayne - Nearer My God to Thee Did I hear some fancy trills going on? I thought so. Sounded nice for a more difficult piece. nice job.

36. MaryBee - Sheep May Safely Graze You did a nice job with this piece MaryBee. Even the trills were clear and timed well. Your piano sounded very nice as well.

37. FarmGirl - A Christmas Overture Way to attack the piece from the start! Your piano also sounded very nice. Very good control over the entire piece. Did I hear a hint of a page turn?

38. Andy Platt - Mozart Sonata in C (K545) Movement 2 - Andante Nice job with this piece Andy. Your playing is very smooth and natural sounding. You also have a very good ear for proper/accurate timing. I like it.

39. Sideshow/Edwin - Prelude - BWV935 Oh wow this was pro level stuff. What's not to like with a performance of this caliber? Great job.

40. GlassLove (Christine) - Song of India (arranged) Christine this was a very nice simple tune which had some lovely haunting melodies. These are always my favorites. Nice job with this piece.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Wouter, Headphones.

Think less - play more

[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
My thanks to all who offered feedback!
I guess you all know how exciting it is to see that people have actually listened to you and want to tell you something about what they heard.

This is the only real venue I have for sharing and getting knowledgeable feedback. (Mom is always willing to tell me how wonderful I am, but you know how moms are!)

I'm thrilled to have been a part of this and look forward to the next session!

Jotour: Glad I didn't disappoint you!

Cmohr: Thanks for noticing my progress!

Peyton: Glad you Enjoyed it!

Andy Platt: I'm glad you think I've made some progress with the balance (left and right!) I'm working hard on that. ..and yup, my piano really needs a tuning -even more than when I made the recording!

Inlanding : I inspire YOU?!!!!! Wow, you made my day :)Thanks for your encouragement!

Hawgdriver: Well, the piece was suggested by my teacher several months ago - but when I first saw it, it intimidated me.Then I came round to it, gradually, and fell in love with it. Unless my mum misbehaved, there is no gypsy background in my life! (Italian, yes, gypsy no).
I loved that you thought it was "tasty"!

BlueKeys: I had great fun trying to create some drama! Thank you for noticing and commenting on it!

BillM: Thanks! I hope one day to sing and play, as you do for your performances!

Edtek: Thanks! I know it is easier with the DP direct line - but I was glad to let people hear my acoutic this time!

Mohan Karthik : Unique! smile love it! Thanks!

Sam Smith: ooh I did rubato and I'm not even sure what that means....lol...I had better figure it out so that I can do it again!

Undone: Thank you! I'm feeling pretty happy about my progress.

ShiruKuru: Thanks! I am already starting to think about what the next piece might be!

TX-Dennis: I thought it was fun too - glad you enjoyed it.

Wouter79: Glad you approved of my upright. I'd love a grand but the budget won't stand it at this point. You're right about the nasal quality - but that is fairly recent and due to the fact that our apartment is way too hot I think (the sound has been shifting over the past month or so - we can't control the heat. You have to love Italy or hate it... I do both on and off, depending on the day.)

I would have liked to have used the pedal in a few spots, but I still have trouble and I knew I could play the piece but would never get it right if I tried recording with pedal...and yes, it was a bit rough in some spots, I 'm still working on it! The piece doesn't have a very wide range so the bass isn't very "bass". Thanks for your feedback- glad you were able to stick it out til the end wink

Glasslove, Christine: Thanks for cheering me on! Your feedback really lifts me up!

Mr. Super-Hunky: Thank you for your vote of confidence and encouragement. I think I can get it too..... I just need more ...patience and practic!
LadyPayne: Merci beaucoups!

FarmGirl: You're sweet to think of my hand- I really cut back after the recordig - seeing a specialist this week! It doesn't hurt when I play, just acts up after - mostly in the a.m.! I'm glad you enjoyed the expression and dynamics!

LaValse: Your feedback was tremendous fun! I LOVED my wild horses -Thank you!

John Frank: It wasn't my first recital - just the first with my acoustic smile I'm so glad you liked my piece. I see why it reminds you of Sunrise Sunset (which is another piece I love!)

Augustina: Grazie Mille!

Jazzwee: I come on the forums when I have to rest - so no worries that it will interfer with piano time smile Thanks for your kind feedback!

CarlosCC: Thanks! I had fun playing, glad you enjoyed it.

Strings & Wood - yes, it was quite a transition to go from the digital to the acoustic - thanks for your encouragement!

TTigg: It was my pleasure to share! Thanks for listening!

I've gathered up all your comments and saved them as a momento of this recital!

Grazie mille a tutti, e complimenti a tutti. Siamo stati veramente bravi!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
19. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Odin Sphere no Theme - Mati - lovely tune superbly played as always thumb

20. True Beginner - Winter Serenade TB, beautiful as usual & nicely played.

21. Riddler (Ed) - Dolphin Dance - Ed, interesting piece and yes, slightly atonal - well done - if the dolphins were dancing it must have been at sunset.

22. MartinJB / martin - Reflections Em - JB, nice, easy piece and very relaxing - good job.

23. hoffy - Minuet In G Major (BWV Anh. 114 - come on, you all know it!) - hoffy - nice work on this classic.

24. LaValse - Prelude Op 11 No 4 - LV, I guess Scriabin is a taste I haven't yet acquired but well played.

More to follow...

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sadly, I didn't get my piece submitted for this recital (I suddenly found myself unexpectedly retired and had to do a lot of unplanned work). However, I will still comment on the pieces that have been submitted and look farward to submitting in the next recital.

Here's my first batch of comments:

01. BenPiano - Waltz in G# Minor for Two Hands Op. 39 No. 3 very nice -- good dynamics and touch. A little too much pedal for me -- it tended to blur things and made the phrasing a little more awkward.

02. wouter79 - the entertainer Overall very good job. A couple of slips and pauses here and there. Watch the synchronization between your hands -- they get a little off at times. Ragtime pieces should be a little jauntier -- more bounce. Work on keeping the tempo more even -- there are surges and pauses that shouldn't be there.

03. Peyton - Angel I think the melody is very nice -- and sometimes simple is precisely what you are looking for because that's what sticks in people's heads. I had no problem with starting low, but I think you overused the pedal -- it really blurred the lines.

04. dannylux / Mel - Morgen Very nice, delicate touch in the beginning. Really nice phrasing. A few small synchronization issues between left and right hand, but they are hardly worth mentioning. Very enjoyable.

05. Sam Smith - Song Without Words Opus 19 #1 Wow! beautifully played! My only quibble would be with the use of the pedal -- a touch too much.

06. cgyan (Iain) - Aria I don't know this piece, but I liked the way you played the arpeggios. A little too even in terms of dynamics, but perhaps that's the way it's written. Good job!

07. KeemaNan - A New Ground (Z. T682) This has a different feel from most of Purcell's work. Well played, and the ornamentation is very crisp and sharp!

08. Mr Super Hunky - The great gig in the sky (cover) Hmmm...maybe it didn't come across, but I didn't hear any "kerplunking." I love the sound of your M&H. Well played -- but the rain appears to be slowly moving into my area (caused by your piano?).

09. Pianosaurus Rex / Yannick - Wiener Marsch With that many takes, I can understand why you skipped lunch! You did a really good job with this. A couple of slips, but nothing major. AS this demonstrates, Czerny could write exercises that are still musical. Thanks for submitting this.

10. CarlosCC - I Due Fiumi Good phrasing on this, nice touch and balance between the hands. Good job!

More to follow...

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
P
P
First of all, thank you for all the kind comments on my recital entry at #42. I will take the suggestions for improvements on board and maybe record it again in a year or so.

Here are my comments on the other pieces, split into two or three blocks - see how it goes!

01. BenPiano - Waltz in G# Minor for Two Hands Op. 39 No. 3

I thought this was brilliantly played, particularly given your 1.5 years of experience.

02. wouter79 - the entertainer

Well I nearly skipped this one as it wasn't played on a DP! But I had a listen anyway and thought it was really well played.

03. Peyton - Angel

Lovely piece, beautifully played. I admire anyone who can compose like this.

04. dannylux / Mel - Morgen

Really liked this piece. I thought your Yamaha sounded really good too.

05. Sam Smith - Song Without Words Opus 19 #1

I thought this was very well played. I'm going to look at the sheet music but I think it's currently beyond me!

06. cgyan (Iain) - Aria

Extremely well played for someone with 11 months experience! I haven't heard the piece before, but I really liked it.

07. KeemaNan - A New Ground (Z. T682)

I love hearing Purcell and this was excellent. Very nicely played.

08. Mr Super Hunky - The great gig in the sky (cover)

I'm a Pink Floyd fan myself and I thought this was brilliantly played. Superb arrangement. Can we look forward to some more arrangements of rock classics in the future?

09. Pianosaurus Rex / Yannick - Wiener Marsch

I'm not familiar with this piece, but it sounds like fun to play!

10. CarlosCC - I Due Fiumi

You are doing very well to be playing Einaudi after a year and two months! Very well done!

11. Monica K. - The Meadow

I always look forward to hearing your recordings Monica and this piece didn't disappoint! Beautifully played as always.

12. John Frank - Two Waltz Medley : Waltz in B Minor & Waltz in D Major

I'm not familiar with this music, but I enjoyed listening and thought it was well played.

13. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Gypsy Legend

I thought this was a very good performance for someone who has only played for 13 months! Well done.

14. CMohr - I Should Care

Not being into jazz myself, I don't know the piece, but it sounded really good and was beautifully played. I would like to look at some non-classical pieces myself sometime.

15. Todd Vance - Waltz, in C# Minor Op. 64 #2

I love this piece and intend to learn it myself sometime. I thought you did a great job playing it.

16. Joangolfing - Sonata E Major Op.14 No.1 Allegretto

It's always good to hear some Beethoven in the recital and I really enjoyed hearing this.

17. Inlanding - Glen - Medley of Three

Nice mellow sound. Very enjoyable.

18. Ken. - Monk Medley - Misterioso & Bye-ya

I can put my hand up and say that I know this music! (Because a friend of mine introduced me to it a while ago). Nicely played.

19. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Odin Sphere no Theme

Nice piece of music and you did extremely well to learn it in 3 days!

20. True Beginner - Winter Serenade

Lovely music very well played. You wrote this yourself? Awesome!

Kawai CA67
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Finally I am in my 30's. Hopefully I can complete my listening this weekend:).

#31 Augustina - I love this music. I bet you enjoyed it too. The hope and happiness is warming my heart in this wintry day. I felt like something good will happen to each and everyone of my friends, family and people on earth. Thank you.

#32 Undone – Like it. The dramatic beginning and unfolding drama and mystery. You have nailed it. You played it so well. I will look forward to listening to more of your submissions going forward. It was nearly perfect – note that I never say perfect so this is my highest compliment. Cannot believe you only played 3 years.

#33 LisztAddict - Wonderfuly played. You got wonderful technique something like this. . Your runs are all perfectly even and not once I detected any out of the place accent. The right hand chords are together and the dynamics are effective.

#34 Mohan Karthik – I have to put you too in the naturally gifted category. I cannot believe how you can do this in 11 months!

#35 ladypayne – Awesome. I like your arrangement. Must be nice to compose something like this.

#36 Maybee – It’s a beautiful piece and you played it well. My dog is at my feet and totally enjoying the piece. It has lots of stuff in it which you connected so beautifully. Bravo.

#38 Andy Platt – It is beautiful. Very heavenly, purely Mozart. I wish I could play Mozart like you.

#39 Sideshow/Edwin – I know what you are hating about. It’s beautiful. In fact, it is excellent.

#40 GlassLove (Christine) – I like the piece. You sounded so elegant and pianistic. I cannot believe you play like in a year. Wow.

P
P
Continued.....

21. Riddler (Ed) - Dolphin Dance

Very inspirational. It's good to hear people playing their own arrangements on here.

22. MartinJB / martin - Reflections Em

A very high standard for someone who has only been learning for a year. Very well done!

23. hoffy - Minuet In G Major (BWV Anh. 114 - come on, you all know it!)

Yes I know it! Well played!

24. LaValse - Prelude Op 11 No 4

A very nice piece. I thought you played it with lot of feeling. Good result!

25. Jazzwee - All the Things You Are

Nice performance. I must have a go at some jazz pieces sometime.

26. wj3 / Walt - Take me home country roads

I love this song. I know it's a John Denver number, but Olivia Newton John really made it for me! Very nice piano arrangement.

27. BillM (formerly b528nf7) - Mr. President (have pity on the working man)

Really enjoyed this. It's good to hear some vocals!

28. Strings & Wood - Op. 68, No. 16 (Erster Verlust)

Very well played and good use of the pedal!

29. serge88 - Your Song

Obviously a well known piece and I have often wondered if it would be possible to play it just on the piano with no vocals, yet retain a melody line. You have shown that the answer is a definite yes! Very nicely played.

30. paquijote - Invention No. 7 in E minor - J.S. Bach

Always good to hear a bit of Bach and this was excellent.

31. Augustina - Somewhere Out There from an American Tail

Nice piece. Not one I know, but very enjoyable to listen to.

32. Undone - Toccata in D minor

This is one of my favourite pieces and I was wondering whether you would be able to capture the drama and sustain levels normally achieved by an organ. But you did and it sounded terrific. Very good effort indeed and I have added this piece to my list of pieces that I really must learn sometime!

33. LisztAddict - Prelude in b minor

I haven't heard this piece before, but I really liked the the way the left and right hand blended. Your piano sounds terrific too!

34. Mohan Karthik - So far away

How on earth did you manage to compose this with 11 months experience? I thought it was brilliant.

35. ladypayne - Nearer My God to Thee

Nicely played piece and a good improvisation.

36. MaryBee - Sheep May Safely Graze

Beautifully played and easily the best arrangement I have heard. I would love to learn this piece myself sometime.

37. FarmGirl - A Christmas Overture

You may not have enjoyed learning the piece, but you did a really good job playing it! The recording is good too - captures the piano well.

38. Andy Platt - Mozart Sonata in C (K545) Movement 2 - Andante

Expertly played and again, a piece that I would love to learn myself sometime. Enjoyed it a lot.

39. Sideshow/Edwin - Prelude - BWV935

Beautifully played. I hope that I reach this standard in the future!

40. GlassLove (Christine) - Song of India (arranged)

Nicely played and well recorded.

Kawai CA67
P
P
Continued...

41. jotur/Cathy Turner - Amazing Grace

A well known tune and a nice arrangement. I loved the tuneful ending!

43. Yamaha G-3 & P-80 / Mike WHite - Milonga del angel

Nice lively piece. Lots of different elements to it and I thought your playing was really good.

44. MegumiNoda - Intermezzo Op. 118 No. 2

Nicely played. I will come back and watch the video later!

45. Wisebuff - In Church Op 39 No 24

Nice, moody piece, really well played.

46. ShiroKuro - Sunburst

Interesting to hear a classical guitar piece transcribed for the piano. Expertly played!

47. spidaman - A moment lost

Especially good as it was played by ear. Sounds amazing for one day of practice!

48. Laura aka ten left thumbs - Moonlight Sonata, Op 27 no 2, 1st movement

I love this piece and I recorded it myself for the last recital. I thought you made a very good effort.

49. grotrianer - Sonata in c-minor op.10, no.1: 2nd mvt. - Adagio Molto

I really enjoyed this. I find it impossible to be bored by Beethoven. Very nicely played and a high quality recording too!

50. Bunneh - Barcarolle, No. 6 from Troisième Recueil de Chants, op. 65.

I haven't heard this piece before, but if it's playable by a beginner I will take a look at the music! Nice sound from the Roland too.

This is a piece I aspire to playing myself oneday. You have done very well to crack it with only 15 months playing experience. I enjoyed your letter to Chopin too - he was a talented dude for sure!

52. bluekeys - Invention #13

I thought this was really well played. You may wish it was faster, but at least it is very evenly played and the P155 sounds good too! A great performance.

53. custard apple - A Time for Love

Not a piece I have heard before, but very nicely played.

54. TTigg / Steve C - I Giorni

It's good to hear more Einaudi on the forum recitals. I thought your playing flowed beautifully. Very enjoyable.

55. Copper - Lullaby

A famous piece, very well played.

56. ddh - Daniel - Les lulus (The pigtails)

Very nice performance. I will have to check out the composer!

57. mcasl - Hob XVI:6, Sonata in G major, 1st mov.

Very nice piece. I started paying more attention to Hadyn after I saw a competition performance on UK television, but I regard most of it as currently beyond me. You have achieved a good performance level for someone who has only played for a couple of years. Well done!

58. edtek - Winter Twilight

As you say, the recording method needs sharpening, but the playing was really good and it's a nice piece.

59. Starr Keys - Kiss from a Rose

Very impressive for a play-by-ear arrangement. Well done!

Kawai CA67
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Thank you Edtek, Undone, and Philzpiano. I'm pleased you like Bill's A Time for Love.

Page 13 of 21 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 20 21

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission