Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14
Topic Options
#1627843 - 02/25/11 08:43 AM Re: Recital #21 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Starr Keys]
grotrianer Offline

Loc: Braunschweig, Germany
Originally Posted By: Starr Keys

49. Grotrianer ... I think you’re amazingly accomplished for just 2-1/2 years

grin
Thanks a lot! I should have made more clear in my descripton though that I played a lot in my youth. 2.5 years is just after restarting.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1627851 - 02/25/11 09:21 AM Re: Recital #21 --- General Discussion Room [Re: grotrianer]
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lodz, Poland
Hey!

I'd like to personally thank all of you for listening and commenting on my piece smile Thanks, jotur, hawgdriver, Andy Platt, Inlanding, CMohr, BillM, Mohan Karthik, hoffy, Undone, KeemaNan, casinitaly, MartinJB, TX-Dennis, mr_super-hunky, jazzwee, FarmGirl, CarlosCC, TTigg, Edtek, John Frank, PhilzPiano, Starr Keys, MaryBee, epf, cgyan, LaValse, Augustina, GlassLove, BenPiano, Peyton, Monica, String & Woods! I hope I haven't missed anyone smile I really enjoyed your comments and - once again - it really inspires me and encourages to work harder.

To answer some questions that have been brought up along:

Originally Posted By: Peyton

That would take me weeks and weeks to learn and I could never play it as smoothly and with such feeling.

You must be kidding me smile You are, and always have been, technically far beyond me. This piece isn't that hard!

Originally Posted By: Monica K.

The video quality was top-notch, too; what did you use to record it?

I used my Canon EOS 7D with EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS lens, recorded on the tripod with as much lights lit I could come up with in the evening.

Originally Posted By: String & Woods

(...) The flourish toward the end sounded really good with the Garritan Steinway Standard (is that the software replicate sound you are using?)

Thanks! It's Garritan indeed. I must honestly say I begin to dislike this library. Whenever I play on an acoustic piano everything sounds SO much more natural and breathing.

Originally Posted By: BenPiano

Learned this piece for a woman? I guess there is no better motivation than that!

You are spot on. I can't even imagine learning it that fast if it wasn't for that reason.

Originally Posted By: Many have asked

What's the game?

It's not Final Fantasy. The game is called "Odin Sphere" and it was the main theme from the game.

Thanks again!

Unfortunately, I am stuck to a mobile internet connection for a while so I still haven't been able to listen to all your contributions frown I can't wait to download the recital and listen to all these wonderful performances. I promise to comment on each and every one as soon as I will be back on a normal internet connection!

Best wishes,
Mateusz
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)

#1627853 - 02/25/11 09:24 AM Re: Recital #21 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Starr Keys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: california
51. Seriously, Hawgdriver, 16 months??!! You make me want to shoot myself.

52. Wow, Bluekeys. Now I understand why you’re the one KeemaNan said to see about Bach. Fantabulous (had to make up a new word)!.

53. custard apple If I were going to transcribe anyone, it would be Bill Evans, and this is a particularly gorgeous song from someone who makes every song gorgeous. I loved the harmonies and how you wrung them bells. Very nice job!

54. TTiggs – This reminds me of that old adage about writing: “Write about what you know. “ Translated to music, it would be “Play what you love”…. because doing so has certainly made you a virtuoso. I can’t imagine it being played any better. Great!

55. Copper I recognize that Carl Humphries guy as having written a comprehensive book on how to play and think about piano. Please don’t tell me you are another one of those totally self-taught people, because I don’t know how much I can take.

56. ddh - Daniel Wow, over seven minutes and you maintained your smooth flowing performance! Very lovely piece. Thanks for sharing it.

57. Mcasl – Anyone who can trill as well as you (not only in the right hand but in the left ) while playing multiple notes in the other hand has got to have my respect. I know how much patience this takes trying to learn as a child so I can just imagine how hard it is learning the first time as an adult. You should be very proud of yourself. (Two thumbs up!)

#1627873 - 02/25/11 10:16 AM Re: Recital #21 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Starr Keys]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Starr Keys

54. TTigg – This reminds me of that old adage about writing: “Write about what you know. “ Translated to music, it would be “Play what you love”…. because doing so has certainly made you a virtuoso. I can’t imagine it being played any better. Great!
Just got back from a week long business trip in Dallas & Houston, makes me smile - thanks thumb
- SC

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1627887 - 02/25/11 10:40 AM Re: Recital #21 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
cgyan Offline

Loc: UK
Slowly getting through everybody's fine submissions.

26. wj3 / Walt - Take me home country roads
Love a bit of John Denver! You sounded really confident with your rendition so I would guess you have worked hard to learn this smile Good stuff.

27. BillM (formerly b528nf7) - Mr. President (have pity on the working man)
Your submissions are always ones that I look forward to, Bill, I think a lot of us would aspire to have half the ability you possess. Your sound system sounds incredible and is probably even finer in person. Looking forward to the next one smile

28. Strings & Wood - Op. 68, No. 16 (Erster Verlust)
What a wonderful clear recording, I felt every note played smile
It might have taken 20-odd takes but you would never have known, it sounded as fresh as a first take. You clearly knew this piece well as it flowed from beginning to end without hesitation. Nice one smile

29. serge88 - Your Song
Wow, this sounded terrific, a whole band! Nice easy listening feel to it, I could see my myself starting the day listening to this. I also use Garageband to record the audio for the recitals but haven’t tried making a multi-track recording. You might have just inspired me to try ... smile

30. paquijote - Invention No. 7 in E minor - J.S. Bach
I think we’ve all been there when ‘almost good enough’ becomes ‘good enough’! laugh
I listened a couple of times and marveled at your control and, while I’m not a big classical buff, I couldn’t hear any obvious difficulties in your playing so congrats on a fine (and demanding...!) submission smile

#1627972 - 02/25/11 01:47 PM Re: Recital #21 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
cgyan Offline

Loc: UK
31. Augustina - Somewhere Out There from an American Tail
This brought back some nice memories from childhood so thanks for doing that! I was humming along all the way through smile

32. Undone - Toccata in D minor
Wow, tough one! Kudos for deciding to do this one. Hmm, piano or organ, that’s a tough one to decide too. A lot of it sounded incredibly powerful with the piano (the crushing bass chords) which I really liked whereas maybe the organ would have suited the other sections where the unsustained keystrokes maybe lost some presence. Am I right in saying Bach was composing before the piano as we know it existed and he composed on the harpsichord or organ? I think the sustain pedal was after him, right? All in all, I think the piano was the right choice and a big pat on the back for submitting it smile

33. LisztAddict - Prelude in b minor
Beautiful, your timing, touch and feel for this music is inspiring. Thank you.

34. Mohan Karthik - So far away
I always love it when a piece of music strikingly tells a story and your piece certainly told the story of the title, Mohan. It was beautifully done, and very much in the style of Einaudi. You’ve set a standard now and can’t wait to hear your next piece smile

35. ladypayne - Nearer My God to Thee
Very nicely done, ladypayne, loved how it built in the middle with the grand crescendo and then tailed off for the ending.

#1628232 - 02/25/11 10:48 PM Re: Recital #21 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
10. CarlosCC - I Due Fiumi - I have the sheet music for this one, but haven't even looked at it because the cd I have does not have this piece on it. You convinced me to give it a shot. Thanks, and great playing!

09. Pianosaurus Rex / Yannick - Wiener Marsch - Great job with this one. Good to hear it was a big help for you. And yeah, recording is a pain in the butt!

08. Mr Super Hunky - The great gig in the sky (cover) - Wow, yeah, your bass is awesome. And your ability to noodle is inspiring. I listened to the end. grin

07. KeemaNan - A New Ground (Z. T682) - A beautiful baroque piece, I gotta put this on the list! Fabulously played!

Edited by BenPiano (02/25/11 10:49 PM)

#1628382 - 02/26/11 08:25 AM Re: Recital #21 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Starr Keys]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Starr Keys
Your kind comments are much appreciated. I totally agree with you: A Time for Love has to be one of the greatest of Bill's great songs, and that he could make chords ring like bells with those awesome triads.

#1628955 - 02/27/11 02:17 AM Re: Recital #21 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

06. cgyan (Iain) - Aria - I couldn't get it for this one, but for your early submission to the piano bar this month, I listened to your entry and your kitty avatar bobbed its head to the time - try it!

Your recital entry is very beautiful, and well played. I know I keep saying it, but it's amazing what you're performing after such a short time. Please, keep it up!

05. Sam Smith - Song Without Words Opus 19 #1 - If this is your fifth M. submission to the recitals, then that would explain why I associate you with these pieces because this is the fifth recital I've participated in.

These really are tough pieces technically, and you keep coming at us every recital with more. You've done a fabulous job with them, and this one is no exception. Well done!

04. dannylux / Mel - Morgen - What a beautiful wedding gift. Well done, and thanks for sharing!

03. Peyton - Angel - Wonderful composition, Peyton!

02. wouter79 - the entertainer - Great job with this one - I listened to it's entirety!

01. BenPiano - Waltz in G# Minor for Two Hands Op. 39 No. 3 - Dude, get a teacher.

#1628986 - 02/27/11 03:44 AM Re: Recital #21 --- General Discussion Room [Re: BenPiano]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: BenPiano
01. BenPiano - Waltz in G# Minor for Two Hands Op. 39 No. 3 - Dude, get a teacher.

whatever...:rollseyes:

You inspired me to learn a few of these waltzes. That's about the highest compliment I can think of. But yeah..I need a teacher, too.

#1628987 - 02/27/11 03:44 AM Re: Recital #21 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
^learn=want to learn
/clarity

Edited by hawgdriver (02/27/11 03:44 AM)

#1629637 - 02/27/11 11:27 PM Re: Recital #21 --- General Discussion Room [Re: hawgdriver]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: hawgdriver
You inspired me to learn a few of these waltzes. That's about the highest compliment I can think of. But yeah..I need a teacher, too.

As complements go, that's a pretty good one - and really is much appreciated! smile

#1630016 - 02/28/11 02:59 PM Re: Recital #21 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Starr Keys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: california
58. edtek – I didn’t mean to leave you out, especially as I wouldn’t have missed your piece. I enjoyed it very much, not only for its own sake, but because listening to it taught me something important. That is, I think I like New Age music better when it is played with large block or open chords. I don’t like it with the overdone flowery arpeggios that so often characterize it because they often overshadow the melody. This brought out the melody while not taking away anything from the harmony which was beautiful. I read that you played only chords with your jazz group. Well, I think you’ve become a master at voicing them. That was majestic.thumb

Edited by Starr Keys (02/28/11 03:02 PM)

#1630028 - 02/28/11 03:32 PM Re: Recital #21 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Starr Keys]
CMohr Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Oregon
Just got back into town...

Thanks so much to Philzpiano, Starrkeys, MaryBee (I will thank my teacher, definitely!), Cgyan, & BenPiano! heart Your comments really help make this journey worthwhile!

epf, Thank you to for your comments and insight. heart I agreee that I used the pedal too much or for too long. Something that hasn't come up during my lessons. (Maybe I don't do it until I'm recording? I'll be asking my teacher about this, this week.)

Grotrianer, Thanks so much for letting me know I may possibly be getting better at this! I'm glad you enjoyed it. And a heart for you, too!

#1631051 - 03/01/11 10:32 PM Re: Recital #21 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
jotur, Inlanding, Andy P, bluekeys, hawgdriver, CMohr, hoffy, MartinJB, cas (in italy), TX-Dennis, CarlosCC, WiseBuff, KeemaNan, GlassLove, LaValse, Riddler, TTigg, wouter, Undone, Edtek, super-hunky, FarmGirl, PhilzPiano, Augustina, jazzwee, BillM, ShiroKuro, BenPiano, Strings & Wood, Starr Keys, and JF -- THANK YOU all for listening to my piece and for the encouraging comments you made. What an ego boost! After five recitals, this is the first one where I really felt comfortable with performing my piece. There were bobbles, of course, with nerves from recording, but I knew how I wanted to play this, and I found that I could actually make it sound the way I heard it in my mind. What a cool feeling! As usual, I shared the comments I received with my teacher, and he enjoyed reading through them too, and we talked about a couple of them. You guys are the best!

jotur, LaValse - you both (in different ways) referred to the stately aspect of the music. My teacher was having me work toward getting that to come out. Thanks for noticing!

FarmGirl, that's funny about your dog listening to the music with you. Mine either lies under the piano bench or on the back of the couch behind me to keep me company while I play.

Several people had nice things to say about the sound of my piano. It was recently-tuned at the time of the recording, and that always makes such a difference. I do love my piano's tone.

#1639708 - 03/12/11 04:29 PM Re: Recital #21 --- General Discussion Room [Re: BillM]
Wavves Offline

Loc: NYC
Hey everyone new hear....I like to rap and produce, some of my influences include but are not limited to Justice, Daft Punk, Animal Collective, Kanye West, Radiohead, Mount Kimbie, The XX, N.E.R.D., and Odd Future (OFWGKTA) I absolutely love odd future! Anyway I'm kind of learning piano, there's also a piano player in our camp with 10 years experience she's pretty good.

#1642186 - 03/16/11 12:06 PM Re: Recital #21 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
First I want to say thank for the comments on my recording. I like some of the new clever ways of providing feedback. smile

I think I am only qualified to comment on the classical pieces here.

1 – Brahms Waltz op 39 no 3 played by BenPiano. It’s a short piece but very enjoyable to listen to.

3 – Peyton Angel played by the composer himself. Sorry to hear the loss of your friend. I can really hear the sadness in your music. I know this is not a classical piece, but I want to say something.

5 – Mendelssohn Song without words op 19 no 1 played by Sam Smith. Other than some hesitations here and there, I think the tempo is fine. Some places the accompaniment was a little loud. This is a rather difficult piece, and you played well.

7 – Purcell A New Ground played by KeemaNan. Very good articulation and nice execution of the ornaments.

9 – Czerny Wiener Marsch played by Pianosaurus Rex. This must be the first Czerny piece in the ABF recitals. I like it!!! Would love to hear more Czerny from you next time.

15 – Chopin Waltz Op 64 No 2 played by Todd Vance. For a self-taught of only 2 years, you play the B section very well. I am sure you already know the piece would go a tad faster, and the A and C sections need more of a waltz rhythm.

16 – Beethoven Sonata Op 14 No 1 second movement played by Joangolfing. Good tempo and flow of melody. When you play those sforzandos, hold the fingers firm and press firmly and deep into the keys for a solid sound and more distinction between sf and p.

20 – True Beginner Winter Serenade played by the composer himself. Beautiful melody!!!

23 – Bach Minuet in G major played by hoffy. Good job on the come back.

24 – Scriabin Prelude Op 11 No 1 played by LaValse. Sounds dark like the usual Scriabin.

28 – Schumann Op 68 No 16 from Album for the Young played by Strings & Wood. I heard a few little pauses, but didn’t hear any wrong note. Banana & yogurt are good for you!

30 – Bach Invention No 7 played by paquijote. VERY GOOD!!! Nice and even left-hand trill.

32 – Bach Toccata in d minor (transcription for piano by unknown transcriber) played by Undone. Techniques in playing organ is different. I think you made the right choice with using the piano sound.

36 – Bach Sheep May Safely Graze transcribed by Egon Petri, played by MaryBee. Excellent! I really enjoy your performance.

38 – Mozart Sonata K545 second movement played by Andy Platt. Nice touch for Mozart; very refreshing. I’d prefer a little less pedal in certain places.

39 – Bach Prelude BWV935 played by Sideshow. Another good performance for Bach!

42 – Chopin Prelude Op 28 No 4 played by PhilzPiano. Sometimes sheet music leaves it to the pianist to decide on how to apply pedal, but you must use pedal in this piece.

44 - Brahms Intermezzo Op 118 No 2 played by MegumiNoda. Nice phrasing, and you also brought out the melody well. I think you would sound 10 times better with a better piano.

48 – Beethoven Moonlight Sonata first movement played by ten left thumbs. Almost note perfect. If you play a little slower and give yourself time to hear the melody, I am willing to bet you can play at least twice better.

49 – Beethoven Sonata Op 10 No 1 second movement played by grotrianer. This movement is so slow that it’s difficult to play and keep it steady, and you handled the tempo very well. Measure 6 to 7, I think you held the chord slightly too long. Measure 17, 19, 21, the descending arpeggios need to be more even.

50 – Alkan Barcarolle No 6 from Op 65 played by Bunneh. This piece sounds familiar to me but I can’t place it where I last heard it. Beautiful playing!!!

51 – Chopin Prelude Op 28 No 15 played by Hawgdriver. Only 15 months huh? That’s very impressive!

52 – Bach invention No 13 played by bluekeys. I think your tempo is perfectly fine. Don’t try to play it any faster. Even slightly slower would be fine too.

55 – Brahms Wiegenlied (transcription for piano solo) played by Copper. Nice playing. Also good to see you venture into classical music!

57 – Haydn Sonata in G major first movement played by mcasl. Good to have your participation and play what you can play. Can’t wait to hear your better version on youtube.

Thanks to all participants and organizers!!!

#1642246 - 03/16/11 01:13 PM Re: Recital #21 --- General Discussion Room [Re: LisztAddict]
Andy Platt Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: LisztAddict
38 – Mozart Sonata K545 second movement played by Andy Platt. Nice touch for Mozart; very refreshing. I’d prefer a little less pedal in certain places.

Thanks ... blame my teacher for the pedal wink I didn't have any for a long time but she thought it needed it and I liked it better that way. But my digital, which was all I had at the time, doesn't support half-pedal. I think it sounds better with my K3 now I can control the amount of pedal somewhat. Although that's one of the differences I'm still struggling with - it's hard to get just the right amount of pedal.

Kawai K3

Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
176 registered (A Guy, Al LaPorte, 36251, accordeur, 46 invisible), 1793 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153543 Topics
2250248 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha U3FS
by Piotr Dydycz
Today at 10:34 AM
Uneven key balance
by Beemer
Today at 09:25 AM
Antique Piano Shop from TN
by IPDRPT
Today at 08:52 AM
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
Today at 08:19 AM
Requests?
by kent2012
Today at 08:06 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission