2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I had time to listen to the first page. Next page comes later!

01. BenPiano - Waltz in G Minor for Two Hands Op. 39 No. 3

piano sound: nice

musical:
overall impression, like: listened to end. Lovely playing
phrasing: good
use of dynamics: little but ok
articulation: missing due to lot of pedal
rubato, speed changes: yes a lot, nice

technical:
clipping: no
balance L/R: ok
noise: none
bass: fair

02. wouter79 - the entertainer

piano sound: nice! beautiful singing treble

musical:
overall impression, like: like it a lot. Some flubs but you get through keeping the tempo
phrasing:nice
use of dynamics: nice. Sometimes an odd single chord too loud
articulation: yes, great
rubato, speed changes: mostly same speed, slight steady speed increase. I like the pushing with notes just a bit early near the end.

technical:
clipping:no
bass-treble balance: not much bass
noise: no

03. Peyton - Angel

piano sound: it all sounds a bit rumbling, treble sounds tinny.
Sometimes I hear a high ring. Might be something loose somewhere somewhere in treble range.

musical:
overall impression, like: fair
phrasing: ok
use of dynamics: I think middle section could use some more dynamic
articulation: little, pedal mostly down.
rubato, speed changes: at the end
technical:
bass-treble balance: bit too much bass
noise: little

05. Sam Smith - Song Without Words Opus 19 1

piano sound: tinny treble.

musical:
overall impression, like: very nice piece by mendelssohn. as said it should be a bit faster.
phrasing: yes
use of dynamics: yes, nice but left hand sometimes is a bit too loud when it gets softer, reducing the dynamic effect
articulation: no.
rubato, speed changes: yes

technical:
clipping: none
bass-treble balance: bass is lacking mostly

Last edited by wouter79; 02/16/11 06:04 PM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
08. Mr Super Hunky - The great gig in the sky cover

piano sound: nice full sounding piano!

musical:
overall impression, like: nice . listened to end.
phrasing: yes nice.
use of dynamics: overall pretty loud. I think a bit of varyation in dynamics could make this even better. How about trying some really light parts.
articulation: overall pedal
rubato, speed changes: yes nice
technical:
clipping: yes serious clipping at louder pieces, reduce level!
balance L/R:ok
bass-treble balance: nice, middle range seems a little suppressed
noise: very little

11. Monica K. - The Meadow

piano sound: nice sound

musical:
overall impression, like: nice! like it, sounds relaxed, new age music. listened to end
phrasing: long lines, well done.
use of dynamics: nice
articulation: all pedal
rubato, speed changes: some parts slower
technical:
bass-treble balance: little bass

13. CASINITALY Cheryl - Gypsy Legend

piano sound: Little nasal in the middle register, but pretty good for an upright!

musical:
overall impression, like: yes nice tune! listened entirely.
phrasing: good, some small timing and articulation errors (or maybe I find them illogical) disturb the phrasing a bit
use of dynamics: little
articulation: yes, I like that you don't use pedal. Makes it all so much more interesting. A few weird articulations
rubato, speed changes: yes, getting slower steadily. I would suggest slowing down only when a bit closer to the end.
technical:
clipping: very light in the attacks it seems.
bass-treble balance: ok, could use bit more low bass. Maybe the piece just does not have low bass?
noise: yes. Dynamic compression (auto volume) aggrevates it.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
14. CMohr - I Should Care
musical:
overall impression, like: Slow dark jazzy piece, lighting up quickly. nice chords at start, gets more predictable after a minute
phrasing: not really
use of dynamics: hardly. maybe not needed?
articulation: mostly pedal
rubato, speed changes: no, bit of deceleration

technical:
bass-treble balance: sounds a bit off, maybe also due to piano sound
noise: bit of hum

17. Inlanding - Glen - Medley of Three

piano sound: very nice

musical:
overall impression: great!, good timing, nice phrasing, sounds so easy and relaxed. listened entirely
phrasing: nice
use of dynamics: nice! Sometimes a bit louder than I would expect for that part but it nevertheless seems to work.
articulation. yes in part 2. I think that's the best part because of the articulation.
rubato, speed changes: yes, great
technical:
clipping:none
bass-treble balance: great!
noise:very little

18. Ken. - Monk Medley - Misterioso Bye-ya
piano sound: nasal middle, tinny bass

musical:
overall impression, like:Second part is much more interesting than first part. I think the playing is okay but the piano is holding you back and makes it sound rather klunky.
phrasing: not so much.
use of dynamics: in 2nd part
articulation: yes in 2nd part, nice
rubato, speed changes: no, metronomic play,and music needs it.

technical:
bass-treble balance: sounds off, may be it's the piano
noise: pretty loud, low frequency pink noise

T
T
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro

[b]15. Todd Vance - Waltz, in C# Minor Op. 64 #2
I can never hear too much Chopin! Very nice, especially considering you're working on this without a teacher. I really enjoyed hearing your performance. And, I notice we have the same piano!

Thanks, and I wondered where it got to...wait, did I do that joke before?

Todd
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
24. LaValse - Prelude Op 11 No 4

piano sound: Pretty nasty nasal mid range, typical for most uprights. But here it gives the downgoing motive an extra dimension that fits the music.

musical:
overall impression, like: beautiful chords, nice playing. listened entirely
phrasing: ok
use of dynamics: yes
articulation: almost pedal
rubato, speed changes: yes, nice

technical:
bass-treble balance: ok but hard to judge because of nasal mid range.
noise: yes medium white noise, turning into pink blobs when it gets louder. just acceptable

26. wj3 Walt - Take me home country roads

piano sound: nasal middle

musical:
overall impression, like: Nice playing. I like it that you use no pedal. Helps so much for the articulation . But at the same time it really exposes even the slightest timing errors are heard that way.
phrasing: I think this could be improved to bring out the phrases with much more clarity. You can use the articulation and dynamics to much greater effect. Playing repeated notes without pedal
use of dynamics: little. The melody and chords need more separation imho.
articulation: yes, nice. Repeated notes often are played all the same volume. This gives a klunky effect. The piece needs more grace.
rubato, speed changes
technical:
bass-treble balance:

28. Strings Wood - Op. 68, No. 16 Erster Verlust

piano sound: sounds fine but I always have the impression that this is a digital when I hear your piano. Also the phase sounds really odd to my ears.

musical: nice melody but I am not dragged into it as I would expect from Schumann. Something is missing. Listened several times, I think you play it too sterile.
overall impression, like
phrasing: Not sure, maybe needs work
use of dynamics: little
articulation: only a bit staccato in the middle and end
rubato, speed changes: I would expect much more rubato in Schumann
technical:
balance L/R:ok but phasing off?
bass-treble balance: ok
noise: no

A
A
5 Sam Smith- Song Without Words- I enjoyed this very much.

6. Cgyan- Aria by Giovannai Allevi- I've never heard of this composer before. This was very relaxing to listen to. I'm going to have to try some of his music now;)

7. KeemaNan A New Ground - I am also unfamiliar with this piece. I enjoyed it, great job!

8. Mr Super Hunky - The Great Gig in the Sky
Awesome! I don't know this song either. Though it does sound familiar:)

9. Pianosauraus Rex Wiener Marsch- Sounds like it was a lot of fun. Great job. Another piece I'm going to have to try out:)

10. CarlosCC -I Due Fiumi- You did a fantastic job on this piece. Your kids picked out a good piece to play^_^.

38. Andy Platt - Mozart Sonata in C Movement 2 I'm currently working on the first movement of this piece. Awesome Job

39. Sideshow/ Edwin Prelude- BWV935 Awesome! you played this Beautifully!

41. Jotur/ Cathy- Amazing Grace- This is one of my favorite songs, Thanks for the link for the sheet music. Great playing on this.

32. Undone-Toccata in D minor This is definitely a hard piece to learn. I've been working on it for over a year now. Your off to a great start, and I can't wait to hear it when it's done:)

33. LisztAddict -Prelude in b minorYou played that so well. It was very pretty.

34. Mohan Karthik- So far Away: You composed this? That was awesome!:)

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Round three - one more to go.
Again, what can I say? I'm impressed.
What a wonderful bunch of musicians to spend an evening with!

My compliments to:

32 Undone Toccata in D Minor Well, maybe you could have gone with the organ effect - but this was still dramatic and moving on the piano you clearly put a lot of energy into this one! I can truthfully say I've never listened to this piece so closely - it was a real treat.
33 Lisztaddict - prelude in B Minor And another piece that is new to me. This was simply delightful. Your piano sounds splendid and you have a wonderfully refined touch. I really enjoyed this very much.
34 Mohan Karthik - So far away Your own composition - and you've only been playing 11 months? I'm impressed, maybe I'm depressed. wow..No, I won't be depressed, I choose to be inspired. This is charming. I can hear the loneliness and longing - you did a beautiful job!
35 LadyPayne, Nearer my God to Thee You improved the score! I'm very impressed. You had some lovely flourishes and I loved the bass arpeggios. Good for you!
36 Marybee - Sheep May Safely Graze This is lovely! I have a version of it in one of my books and I've never felt confident enough to approach it. I think you did a good job on the left-right hand balance MaryBee - Complimenti! (loved that your husband thought he recognized it....:) )
37 FarmGirl - Christmas Overture Dear FarmGirl - well, thanks for the post-Christmas cheer. This sounds very challening and I can imagine that it was mentally and physically tiring to work on - however, now you've got it and you'll wow everyone next Christmas. I, for one, am wowed now, you had so many of my all time favourite carols in there - - I can't help but hum along with you. I really loved your work.

38 Andy Platt - Mozart Sonata in C Andy what constitutes an error free performance? Mine had no wrong notes, but I messed up on my timing....sigh... I think a live performance is an unpredictable adventure - no matter how well you practice. Maybe I don't know the piece well enough but I didn't notice the flubs. I enjoyed listening to your piece. I think you played it charmingly.
39 Sideshow-Edwin PreludeBWV935 You hate your trills? aw....I thought they were sweet. I enjoyed your piece.
40 Glasslove -Christine I've been waiting for this!!! Yipeee! Brava my friend. This was lovely - excellent job! You really caught the eastern flavour of this piece and you've got some great dynamics going on throughout the piece. Complimenti! .
41 Jotur - Cathy Turner - Amazing GraceThis is another one of my all time favourites. I can't help but sing along. And how splendid that you're using an arrangement by one of our co-forumists!! I so enjoyed this!
42 PhilzPiano - Prelude in E Minor OP 28 Nice playing Phil. I think playing a simplified version is very satisfying and helps you build up your confidence for moving on to the full version later. You did a great job on this - and I will watch for a future version from you!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

M
M
49. grotrianer - Sonata in c-minor op.10, no.1: 2nd mvt. - Adagio Molto

Hey, I was far from bored. Props, for sticking with it. I know you will get it the way you want.

50. Bunneh - Barcarolle, No. 6 from Troisième Recueil de Chants, op. 65.

I can see why you love it. Lot’s of pedaling, I’ll have to try this one when I get better. Well done.

51. Hawgdriver (Leon) - Prelude in D-flat major, Op. 28 #15, 'raindrop'

Dude, 15 months, you’re pulling my leg. Just between us it’s 15 years, right. Very, Very, moving. Props to you.

52. bluekeys - Invention #13

Hey, I liked hearing what you played. You’ll get it I’m sure.

53. custard apple - A Time for Love

This was an enjoyable performance.

54. TTigg / Steve C - I Giorni (to do)

Bravo, Steve, you nail that ending this time. Congrats. Hope to see you again at the group. BTW, I saw your dog pass by a few times from the reflection on that beautiful piano.

55. Copper - Lullaby

Goooo....d...zzz...zzz job.

56. ddh - Daniel - Les lulus (The pigtails)

This was a good one, good playing. You pulled off the feeling.

57. mcasl - Hob XVI:6, Sonata in G major, 1st mov. (to do)

Very nice, I like it.

58. edtek - Winter Twilight (to do)

Hey, 6 month’s at 10 min a day comes out to about a 1.25 days’ worth of work you put into it. Don’t be hard on yourself. Great playing.

59. Starr Keys - Kiss from a Rose

By ear, I’m impressed, great job.

I’m just a baby compared to most of you guys and gals in the experience so I didn’t feel that I can comment technically. heck, I don’t think I can comment on myself.

All comments are based on how I felt or thought at the time I listened your piece. With a touch of fun.

Reading all of the comments that I received, I see that I’ve done a good job and you were entertained, so I’ve done what I set out to do, and was very much entertained by everyone’s performance.

Thank you for everyones wonderful comments. Didn't know I did so well. Looking forward to the next one.

THAT’S ALL FOLKS

Last edited by MartinJB; 02/16/11 07:50 PM.

"Music is the shorthand of emotion."
Leo Tolstoy
[Linked Image]
Thanks for your kind comments, Inlanding (hope you recovered well from that injury!) and Andy Platt (that movement seems to be more popular than I had thought), CMohr, hawgdriver (yeah, there is some explicit choppiness put in there by Ludwig. I was instructed not to play it "too beautifully"), KeemaNan, BenPiano and MartinJB!

My first tiny batch of comments in alphabetical order:

38. Andy Platt - Mozart Sonata in C (K545) Movement 2 - Andante
You present this graceful piece with nice articulation.

31. Augustina - Somewhere Out There from an American Tail What a change in style from your last recital submission! I don't know this song, but it is a beautiful piano arrangement with interesting harmonic progressions. You played it very well with a steady groove.

01. BenPiano - Waltz in G# Minor for Two Hands Op. 39 No. 3
Short and sweet. Nicely sung melody throughout, even in those tricky final measures. I would have liked to listen to you longer.

27. BillM (formerly b528nf7) - Mr. President (have pity on the working man) Toe-tappingly cool. I don't understand how anyone can keep the beat while playing AND singing, but you do it with ease and sound very professional.

52. bluekeys - Invention #13 A beautiful perpetuum mobile kind of piece. You play it with great surety. Looking back at the variety of your well-played submissions to earlier recitals, it is obvious that your study of Bach pays off and prepares you well for just about every style of piano music.

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
#51- Hawgdriver- If you had told me you had been playing for "many years" I would easily believe it. That is a fantastic job on the Raindrop. I've played it and know how tough it can be and you just nailed it!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
#55. Copper- That was delightful! smile

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Thank you also to KeemaNan, BenPiano and Martin JB for listening to my Bill Evans jazz piece A Time for Love.

I think it's great that Bill Evans can also be appreciated by classical people, he softened the "hard" sound of bebop with his classical influence and techniques IMO.

All these comments from classical people have made me realise just how wonderful Bill was.

A Time for Love is a relatively obscure piece as Bill played it as a solo rather than with his famous trios.

M
M
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
22. MartinJB / martin - Reflections Em You were definitely "ahead"! The pedalling was very nice and it was a wonderful smooth performance.

Andy, what do you mean by "ahead"?

Leo Tolstoy
[Linked Image]
K
kck Offline
K
Showing my Mozart bias by just jumping in but

38) Andy Platt - Mozart Sonata in C (K545) Movement 2 - Andante - lovely! This is a harder piece than it sounds and you did a great job with the articulation and balance! I absolutely love K545. Where are the other movements? wink

Amateur musician, piano and violin parent
M
M
Originally Posted by Monica K.
22– MartinJB: Ooh, this is such a pretty piece! Did you get it from a method book or something? It definitely appeals to my taste for new age music, and you do a great job of drawing out the melody line so delicately.
Thank you, I'm not sure where it came from. My former teacher found it for me, she thought it would fit my style of playing. It might have came from a Suzuki Method book since she was Suzuki trained.

Leo Tolstoy
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by BillM
22. MartinJB / martin - Reflections Em
What a lovely and delicate melody. You bring out the beauty of this tune without trying to overpower it. It says composer unknown in your submission – what a pity. Excellent first submission – I look forward to more.

I spent time on and off looking for info on the composer, no luck so far.

Leo Tolstoy
[Linked Image]
L
L
13. Casinitaly: Very nice!
14. CMohr: Very Pretty. Nicely played
15. Todd Vance: Enjoyable to listen to thanks
16. Joangolfing: Nice tempo and playing
17. Inlanding: Wonderful piece. Very nice playing!
18. Ken: Nice bounce near the middle there. Very nice playing
19. Mateusz: This was pretty. Great playing! Sounds a bit difficult in some areas.
20.True Beginner: Great job. Nothing wrong with putting up an old piece. Nicely played
21. Riddler: Nice song! It indeed as a catchy tune!

I am currently uploading all of my written piano sheets onto my blog to make things easier. I also have written out a few more sheets. All free check it out if you want smile Any questions, PM me

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
32. Undone - Toccata in D minor
Very well played. I suggest you do this in the organ voice for a Piano Bar. You play this very well in any case. You get a huge sound from your DP. I love the resolve at the end.

33. LisztAddict - Prelude in b minor
A beautifully crafted recording – makes me want to rush out and buy a Zoom. You play with a stately grace that reminds me why people like classical music. Nice.

34. Mohan Karthik - So far away
An excellent composition well played. I immediately got the connection to “My Heart Will Go On”.

35. ladypayne - Nearer My God to Thee
Interesting how this follows the submission above with its “Heart Will Go On” inspiration. Wasn’t this the song played in the movie Titanic as the ship was going down? I think this piece shows your piano chops better than any of the duets you have done with you sister. Very well done.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
37. FarmGirl - A Christmas Overture
I know you said you don’t like this piece anymore but I thought the arrangement and your performance was terrific! It may be a difficult piece to play but it is great fun to listen to. Thanks for sharing.

38. Andy Platt - Mozart Sonata in C (K545) Movement 2 - Andante
I don’t know this piece at all and therefore did not catch any of your supposed “flubs”. I do, however, appreciate good piano playing and this piece certainly qualifies.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MartinJB
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
22. MartinJB / martin - Reflections Em You were definitely "ahead"! The pedalling was very nice and it was a wonderful smooth performance.

Andy, what do you mean by "ahead"?

A little joke - it comes from your recital entry:

Originally Posted by MartinJB
Surprisingly I made it on the second take with one error. I’m going to quit while I’m ahead.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission