Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1622432 - 02/17/11 08:26 PM Chopin Mazurka's
crystal01 Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Hi

I am playing a Chopin piece for the first time, one of his Mazurka's for a grade 6 exam.

Would anyone be able to suggest/recommend a cd compilation of his Mazurka's that is available to purchase

thanks

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1622447 - 02/17/11 08:55 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka's [Re: crystal01]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I like Garrick Ohlsson's "Chopin the Complete Works," on Hyperion. UPC 0 34571 14351 4. You might be able to find the single discs with just the mazurkas at a used CD store, on the former releasing label, Arabesque.

Artur Rubenstein's recordings on BMG (formerly on the RCA label) are classics in their own right, but unfortunately some of the recordings were made before the technology was mature (mono, not very hi-fi, etc). Ohlsson's are more up-to-date in that way.

There are many others, some by wonderful pianists who are much less well-known. It could be worthwhile to just take a chance on whatever you can find in the local stores or library.

#1623060 - 02/18/11 03:55 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka's [Re: crystal01]
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

There's a recording of Cortot playing all of them. This is a pianist with direct ties to the 19th century. You don't hear playing like this anymore.

#1623080 - 02/18/11 04:09 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka's [Re: crystal01]
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

It's fake though, sadly. People had believed this for years, but I can say for certain that they were right. "Cortot" plays many triplets as a quaver and two semiquavers. This is repeatedly deployed in virtually every triplet. This mannerism is nowhere in the mazurka clips from the masterclasses. It's not heard even once, nevermind habitually deployed. The recording (on the "con artist" label) can be dismissed beyond any doubt.

#1623163 - 02/18/11 06:10 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka's [Re: Nyiregyhazi]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: Nyiregyhazi
It's fake though, sadly. People had believed this for years, but I can say for certain that they were right. "Cortot" plays many triplets as a quaver and two semiquavers. This is repeatedly deployed in virtually every triplet. This mannerism is nowhere in the mazurka clips from the masterclasses. It's not heard even once, nevermind habitually deployed. The recording (on the "con artist" label) can be dismissed beyond any doubt.
w

I didn't know that. Do you have any source of info on the subject that you could direct me to? I'd love to learn more. I've not ever heard Cortot's mazurkas (fake or not).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1623228 - 02/18/11 08:12 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka's [Re: crystal01]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
I have Ashkenazy.

Music is my best friend.

#1623460 - 02/19/11 07:14 AM Re: Chopin Mazurka's [Re: stores]
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores
w

I didn't know that. Do you have any source of info on the subject that you could direct me to? I'd love to learn more. I've not ever heard Cortot's mazurkas (fake or not).

It's the guy who did the Hatto scam.

#1623486 - 02/19/11 08:30 AM Re: Chopin Mazurka's [Re: Jeff Clef]
Gerard12 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef

.....Artur Rubenstein's recordings on BMG (formerly on the RCA label) are classics in their own right, but unfortunately some of the recordings were made before the technology was mature (mono, not very hi-fi, etc)......

I think that you may referring to Rubinstein's recordings from the 1930's on EMI - ones that a few pianists prefer to the later stereo Mazurkas from the 1960's on BMG.

I think his later mazurkas are wonderful - the original vinyl set was one of the formative recordings of my youth. However the piano is miked extremely close, and might sound dry and harsh to many.

When I finally got them on CD, I spent $100 bucks on his BMG complete Chopin set, not realizing that the whole set would be re-issued in a new state-of-the-art remastering job 6 months later. Talk about rotten timing.

#1623501 - 02/19/11 09:05 AM Re: Chopin Mazurka's [Re: crystal01]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Salt Lake City
For a complete recording I would recommend the early Rubinstein set. As far as selections goes, Kapell, Friedmann and Horowitz are personal favourites.

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/

#1623652 - 02/19/11 01:01 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka's [Re: Nyiregyhazi]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
w

Her husband then, yes? Were the recordings actually Joyce then or...?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1623662 - 02/19/11 01:19 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka's [Re: crystal01]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
The Ashkenazy recordings date from 1977 to 1985 and are available on a two-disc budget set from London/Decca.

No one has yet mentioned the Fou Ts'ong set on Sony Essential Classics. While I haven't heard much about Fou Ts'ong these days, I read he now lives in London and has devoted his time to both performing and teaching. He was acclaimed not only for his Chopin interpretations in general but, specifically, for his intuitive sense of the Mazurka rhythm. He won the special Mazurka prize at the 1955 Chopin International Competition. His recording dates from 1984.

Regards,

#1623665 - 02/19/11 01:29 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka's [Re: stores]
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

w

Her husband then, yes? Were the recordings actually Joyce then or...?

Quite honestly, I suspect it is. The pianist is clearly trying to do an impression of an older style. I cannot imagine where else the recordings could have come from.

#1623667 - 02/19/11 01:32 PM Re: Chopin Mazurka's [Re: crystal01]
fledgehog Offline

Loc: West Hartford, CT
for a complete set, I second Rubinstein's (in fact, you might as well get his whole Chopin box, it's only 20-someodd dollars), and Ohlsson's. The ones Horowitz plays, he does well, and i believe there are a few clips of Zimerman playing some mazurka's on Youtube...if you want to play one of those, his playing would be an excellent frame of reference.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
97 registered (anotherscott, bennevis, angelsong, 36251, 24 invisible), 1345 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153540 Topics
2250145 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
11 minutes 48 seconds ago
Requests?
by kent2012
24 minutes 44 seconds ago
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
Today at 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission