2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1622776 02/18/11 10:35 AM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I long time ago I posted this thread (I didn't realize quite how long ago is was until just now-yikes!)
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...2/topic/007354/Number/0/site_id/1#import
(I hope that link works)

I wanted to revive the thread since we have a lot of new members that probably have great stories to tell.

I also wanted to toss around the book idea again. If we could get a book published and sell it all the proceeds could go to a music related charity. Or we could start our own.

Of course we could have many different chapters/topics that capture the entire adult piano experience. From teachers from heck, piano lesson nightmares, and of course inspirational stories as well

I might be getting way in over my head. And a lot of research will probably be involved. But it's worth looking into.

What do you guys think?

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Kymber, I think it's a wonderful idea! But it would probably take some serious co-ordination, & someone(s?) who had the time & skills to pull it all together. Anybody want to volunteer??

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
There is a Piano World CD.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
L
L
It costs an insane amount of money in order to publish a book. It would probably be more than what we could afford and the more pages, the more money.If you tried to do it at your local Kinkos store, it would be even more since they aren't usually equipped to bind an actual book. It's a great idea but we would have to first donate alot of money ourselves in order to get one publish unless someone's rich:) Or if someone has someway of publishing it themselves but that would also take so much work and still cost money. Great idea if someone wants to do it though. I had a professor put together some kind of fancy portfolio for work and she just had a simple binding on it. Like one of those spiral bindings. She got it done at Kinkos and each page was 10 dollars. She spent well over 100 dollars just on a small portfolio for business purposes. I suppose a cheaper way to do this would be a CD and apple said we did have one? Or maybe set up an alternative website with everyone's story. Like a blog or something

Last edited by ladypayne; 02/18/11 11:57 AM.

I am currently uploading all of my written piano sheets onto my blog to make things easier. I also have written out a few more sheets. All free check it out if you want smile Any questions, PM me

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528
It could be self-published as an E-book. There are instructions online for this. And Amazon pays 70% royalties for U.S. sales (evidently only 35% for non-U.S.).

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
You can also self publish print books.
There are companies that can print one-offs.

That said, coming up with a saleable book isn't easy, just ask
Perri Knize (Grand Obsession) or Robin Meloy-Goldsby (Piano Girl), both are members of the forums.

And remember, "charity begins at home" :-)

Piano World is my only job now, I didn't plan it that way, it's just the way things worked out after my "day job" was down-sized.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the flexibility and like having more time to play, and to meet up with members. However I also find I have to pour most of the money Piano World brings in (from advertising, and from our online store), back into supporting Piano World. And believe me when I tell you I took a substantial cut in pay (further exacerbated by my divorce, but that's another subject).

Realistically I doubt our book would be on the top of the NY Times best seller list, but let's not be in too much of a rush to give away the proceeds should it come to fruition :-)

BTW, we lost money on the CD project. I don't know if I still have the boxes I had left over, but I'm betting member Ax does and he'd be happy to sell them as he invested his own money in the production.

Not trying to discourage anyone, I think it's a wonderful idea.
I've often thought about writing a book about the "Piano World".

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission