Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 113 of 124 < 1 2 ... 111 112 113 114 115 ... 123 124 >
Topic Options
#1614255 - 02/06/11 10:03 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
custard apple Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Hi Chris and JW
Thanks for clarifying and for your interesting responses. I started improvising 6 weeks ago and will continue practising with the arpeggios, approach notes etc. One day I will eventually get to the stage where my fingers simply obey the tune my brain wants me to play.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1614276 - 02/06/11 10:32 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: custard apple]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Cus,

There's no need to master the 2-5-1, or you'll spend your life on it. You just want to feel pretty good about it.
We'll want to spend as much time on the minor 25 as we did on the major 25. It's equally important. Just let me know when you're done with the last 6 keys and we'll move on.

++

#1614356 - 02/07/11 12:56 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
2000 Post Club Member

haha you're funny !

#1614672 - 02/07/11 02:44 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: custard apple]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted By: custard apple
Hi Chris and JW
Thanks for clarifying and for your interesting responses. I started improvising 6 weeks ago and will continue practising with the arpeggios, approach notes etc. One day I will eventually get to the stage where my fingers simply obey the tune my brain wants me to play.

Good for you!
Great to have started on a journey of discovery, and thanks for your persistent questions, you have inspired me to think a little more about what I do.
Thinking about it today, I think that to be able to understand a tune's Key centres is important to coming to grips with a structure that you can base an improvisation on.
Take a tune a find the II-V-I's, then, take one II-V-I and "fool" around with that, then the next, etc.

#1614796 - 02/07/11 05:44 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: custard apple]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland

One day I will eventually get to the stage where my fingers simply obey the tune my brain wants me to play.

Me too. It does happen sometimes but not consistently.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1614798 - 02/07/11 05:45 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: knotty]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: knotty
>> Is JOI a good book?
TLT,
JOI is very much a method. It's 52 exercises. One for every week or 2. It's jazz hanons, tunes and voicings to learn.
It's a fantastic method, if you stick to it.

++

Ok, it's on the birthday list.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1614881 - 02/07/11 07:50 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: chrisbell]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: chrisbell
Hi Chris and JW

Good for you!
Great to have started on a journey of discovery, and thanks for your persistent questions, you have inspired me to think a little more about what I do.
Thinking about it today, I think that to be able to understand a tune's Key centres is important to coming to grips with a structure that you can base an improvisation on.
Take a tune a find the II-V-I's, then, take one II-V-I and "fool" around with that, then the next, etc.

Hi Chris
Thanks for your encouragement ! I appreciate it must be a challenge when a performer tries to put himself in a beginner's shoes so that he can address the beginner's basic questions.
The key centre approach is kind of global isn't it ? Yesterday I worked on ii V I in C# major, and it was much easier for me to think of just the one scale C# major, than thinking "This bar is Ebmin7, the Eb min blues scale will sound nice. Now the Ab7 bar is suddenly upon me, what is the Ab7 lydian dominant scale ?" !

#1614883 - 02/07/11 07:51 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: ten left thumbs]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs

One day I will eventually get to the stage where my fingers simply obey the tune my brain wants me to play.

Hi 10
That's cool that you are hearing the tunes in your head. How long have you been improvising ?

#1615146 - 02/08/11 03:36 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: custard apple]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Chris
Thanks for your encouragement ! I appreciate it must be a challenge when a performer tries to put himself in a beginner's shoes so that he can address the beginner's basic questions.
The key centre approach is kind of global isn't it ? Yesterday I worked on ii V I in C# major, and it was much easier for me to think of just the one scale C# major, than thinking "This bar is Ebmin7, the Eb min blues scale will sound nice. Now the Ab7 bar is suddenly upon me, what is the Ab7 lydian dominant scale ?" !

Well it's one reason why I enjoy teaching, questions make me think - and learn.
Yes, key centre is a global approach, it's definitely central to nearly all western music.
Let's take ATTYA, how many key centres (using our terminology) are there in ATTYA?
The song has a fundamental key: Ab-major, but what about the others?

#1615177 - 02/08/11 07:05 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
2000 Post Club Member

Mmmm, well Chris, I have to admit I don't really know ATTYA.

Do you mind if I try All of Me ?

All of Me has a fundamental key: C major. The beginning of the A section and the whole of C section are in the key centre of C.

However, the key centres modulate here:
In A section, last few measures are D min.
In B section, key centres are A min and G maj.

Cheers
cus

#1615190 - 02/08/11 07:38 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: custard apple]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Do you mind if I try All of Me ? All of Me has a fundamental key: C major. The beginning of the A section and the whole of C section are in the key centre of C.

From my book at home: (A) section:
|Cmaj|xxx|E7|xxx|
A7|xxx|Dmin|xxx|
E7|xxx|Am|xxx|
D7|xxx|Dm7|G7|

C fundamental
E7 is the V of A
A7 is the V of D (or here: D minor)
E7 is the V of A (or here: A minor)
Am-D7 is the II-V of G
Dm7-G7: II-V of C

after the a mediant jump to E (which I always feel is slightly corny, but I do love smile ) its a Cycle of Fifths (sort of) back to C. (there's some other stuff going on; parallel tonics, etc
(and if you want to 'think' slightly more modern chord changes; take a II before the V's in the song).

Have a listen fo Sinatra and Nelson Riddle's arr, subtle chord substitutions galore!

Edited by chrisbell (02/08/11 07:39 AM)

#1615432 - 02/08/11 03:48 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: custard apple]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs

Hi 10
That's cool that you are hearing the tunes in your head. How long have you been improvising ?

Hi custard, I joined this thread in May 2009, I suppose that's almost two years ago now. I couldn't say I've been consistently working at it though. I've had time off for other schemes like classical music, and learning guitar.

I have come to a point though that I can play without being told which note to play, I suppose I can noodle. At first I couldn't. That has to be progress.

But I do hear things in my head that I can't get my fingers around to. I do remember at one point I was having dreams about melodic lines, and guess what? By morning I'd forgotten them! laugh

Right now I'm on a 3-pronged approach.

1 - listen. I really don't know most of the music jazz is based on. If I don't know the tune, the chord progression means nothing. So I'm just trying over time, so get better acquainted with the repertoire.

2 - some pieces I work on with the help of a friend/mentor.

3 - scales. I have a long way to go here. It's not just scales but trying to get comfortable playing certain things in all keys, and trying to switch happily, for example, between c blues and c maj blues. Funnily enough I'm also on a role with the major scale on guitar, and on guitar I'm at about the same level in terms of getting myself to play the note I hear and want to play.

So that's my story up to now. How about you?

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1615733 - 02/08/11 10:50 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
2000 Post Club Member

Hey 10
I'm like you. I do a lot of listening to get acquainted with the repertoire. I only got into listening to jazz 2 years ago; when I heard Keith Jarrett's Tokyo album, I was hooked.
At the moment I'm singing Charlie Parker and John Coltrane.

I took 3 months of lessons with a jazz teacher who taught me harmony and scales, but never mentioned swing. So I stopped with him and started the JOI methodology which got me into living, breathing and thinking jazz.

You mentioned the C Blues and the C maj blues. What's the difference ?

That's great that you know another instrument.

#1615747 - 02/08/11 11:04 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: chrisbell]
2000 Post Club Member

Do you mind if I try All of Me ? All of Me has a fundamental key: C major. The beginning of the A section and the whole of C section are in the key centre of C.

From my book at home: (A) section:
|Cmaj|xxx|E7|xxx|
A7|xxx|Dmin|xxx|
E7|xxx|Am|xxx|
D7|xxx|Dm7|G7|

C fundamental
E7 is the V of A
A7 is the V of D (or here: D minor)
E7 is the V of A (or here: A minor)
Am-D7 is the II-V of G
Dm7-G7: II-V of C

after the a mediant jump to E (which I always feel is slightly corny, but I do love smile ) its a Cycle of Fifths (sort of) back to C. (there's some other stuff going on; parallel tonics, etc
(and if you want to 'think' slightly more modern chord changes; take a II before the V's in the song).

Have a listen fo Sinatra and Nelson Riddle's arr, subtle chord substitutions galore!

Chris
Are you saying that in Section A alone, you have a few key centres ? Or are you treating G etc. as just a variant of C ?

Thanks for the cool Frank Sinatra version. I also like the Sarah Vaughan albeit simpler version.

#1615825 - 02/09/11 01:13 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
I was practicing Very Early tonight which is a very difficult Jazz tune (along the difficulty level of Giant Steps), and I was thinking of how to make the solo sound more melodic.

So I started focusing on approaching thirds (of chords) just like we discussed here. And almost immediately the solo sounded much better.

I'm telling you guys that some of the stuf I've discussed here (and refined over time) is still the same story. Approaching thirds should be mastered FIRST. This is Jazz 101.

Thinking all other levels like scales and modes are interesting for later but if you can't automatically find those thirds, it will not sound good.

ii-V-I's practice. Is thinking thirds part of this picture?

#1615852 - 02/09/11 02:38 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: custard apple]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Chris
Are you saying that in Section A alone, you have a few key centres ? Or are you treating G etc. as just a variant of C ?

Thanks for the cool Frank Sinatra version. I also like the Sarah Vaughan albeit simpler version.

Yes to "a few key centres".

#1615897 - 02/09/11 05:57 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
2000 Post Club Member

OK Chris, I hadn't thought of it that way before.

#1615901 - 02/09/11 06:02 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: custard apple]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

OK Chris, I hadn't thought of it that way before.

It's one way that I like to use to get a hold on a songs/tunes harmonic structure.

#1615913 - 02/09/11 06:38 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
2000 Post Club Member

It kinda gets detailed though doesn't it ? Like big picture is "Think of A section as C major" but with your multi key centre approach, one also has to understand A, D min and A min.

#1615988 - 02/09/11 09:42 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
saiman Offline

hi jazzwee,

when you say "4. Target Approach to Third from some other chord tone (1, 5, 7). Two eighth notes. Put third on a downbeat." how many notes do I play alltogether, 2 or 3? If 2, do I just play to 8th notes per chord or should I target the third with a chord town and then let the third ring?

#1616036 - 02/09/11 10:40 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: custard apple]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It kinda gets detailed though doesn't it ? Like big picture is "Think of A section as C major" but with your multi key centre approach, one also has to understand A, D min and A min.

That's a valid point. But E7 does not exist in the key of C (its in a chromatic mediant relationship to C), but it does in the key of A major and minor.
But in the way I choose to look at tunes/songs (and it's also the way I teach it) is that the chords are not in isolation in its own bar but has a relationship to the following chord - that's what keeps a song moving forward - usually through a Cycle of Fifths.

It is also possible to only use a C major pentatonic scale as a solo scale all throughout the A section.

#1616078 - 02/09/11 11:39 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
SwingCabbage Offline

Loc: Éire
Hi Folks

This is my next attempt with focus on off beat emphasis and even legato notes.

I can do better but this is what came out when I recorded.

http://www.box.net/shared/xi5qxic4un

I did the A section x2
Then there is a gap and then I did it again x2

There are some mistakes where I did not get the offbeat loud enough and I can also hear where I did not get the upbeat chord tone loud enough to even hear it.

Maybe a few places where the note is cut short an not legato. I find this one difficult to hear and notice in the mp3.

I have stuck to the formula that you gave me Jazzwee. Start with an offbeat quaver above or below the 3rd and then string quavers together up and down staying in G.

There is no backing to this. I just played against a metrognome.

I have been doing scales, G, C, D Straight quavers legato with no emphasis on offbeat against a metrognome. Mainly working on getting my fingers moving around each other. Should I also practice these with emphasis on offbeat? My daughter does contrary motion and parlell motion with the LH as well. Should I also do this?

Still playing AABA of AL melody with Charlston once per practice to warm up.

Will be good to hear from you folks. Hopefully there is some improvement in there.

If there is another exercise that will help me with my legato and offbeat emphasis practice then I would apreciate it. Offbeat into 3rd is ok and I will keep it up but I am interested in how else I can practice the even quaver runs with offbeat emphasis.

I will hold back on the swing delay until you are happy that I am getting the emphasis and legato sorted.

I can post another mp3 if needed.

Thanks again folks
Talk Talk

Swing Cabáiste

#1616146 - 02/09/11 01:02 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: saiman]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: saiman
hi jazzwee,

when you say "4. Target Approach to Third from some other chord tone (1, 5, 7). Two eighth notes. Put third on a downbeat." how many notes do I play alltogether, 2 or 3? If 2, do I just play to 8th notes per chord or should I target the third with a chord town and then let the third ring?

2 notes is good enough here.

To do this practice, it might be best to start at 1+ with let's say 5 so that 3 lands on beat 2. Otherwise you'd have to worry about other chords.

When connecting two separate chords like a ii-V, you'll notice that you already did the connecting chord tones exercise since the 7 of the prior chord is a half step away from 3rd. Or to restate, 7 goes to 3 in a ii-V. So this is a very typical motion when two chords are involved.

For this particular exercise #4, we are staying with 1 chord.

#1616157 - 02/09/11 01:12 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: SwingCabbage]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SwingCabbage
Hi Folks

This is my next attempt with focus on off beat emphasis and even legato notes.

I can do better but this is what came out when I recorded.

http://www.box.net/shared/xi5qxic4un

Much improved articulation. Bravo! Now don't hold back when you strike those keys. I can hear you pull back on some.

I'll give you another practice strategy here, continuing with this style you're doing. Instead of abrubtly ending the last note, just let it ring. That way the phrases sound more connected. Don't change anything else yet.

At this very slow tempo, you can let your eighths be uneven. But don't overdo it. You need to develop control as to when you want the eights even or uneven.

I'm impressed by your practice here. The progress is big! And you're new at the piano. Great work.

#1616200 - 02/09/11 02:09 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: custard apple]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hey 10
I'm like you. I do a lot of listening to get acquainted with the repertoire. I only got into listening to jazz 2 years ago; when I heard Keith Jarrett's Tokyo album, I was hooked.
At the moment I'm singing Charlie Parker and John Coltrane.

I took 3 months of lessons with a jazz teacher who taught me harmony and scales, but never mentioned swing. So I stopped with him and started the JOI methodology which got me into living, breathing and thinking jazz.

You mentioned the C Blues and the C maj blues. What's the difference ?

That's great that you know another instrument.

Hi custard,

C blues is based on the minor pentatonic scale. Major blues is based on the major pentatonic scale.

Let me see if I can get this right:

Minor pentatonic: do ma fa so ta do (1 b3 4 5 b7 1)
blues: do ma fa fi so ta do (1 b3 4 b5 5 b7 1)
major pent: do re me so la
major blues: do re ma me so la (1 2 b3 3 5 6)

I'm looking forward to the JOI book.
I think that's right.

Edited by ten left thumbs (02/09/11 06:50 PM)
Edit Reason: correction of scale

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1616204 - 02/09/11 02:15 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
SwingCabbage Offline

Loc: Éire
Thanks Jazzwee
Ring they will.
SC

#1616296 - 02/09/11 04:50 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: ten left thumbs]
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks 10
It seems like the scale I know is a combination of minor pentatonic and blues.
1 b3 4 b5 5 b7 1.

btw I think Dave Frank provides JOI Lesson 1 for free on his web-site. It's better to do his course with a great teacher, but you can always ask questions on the forum which is what I do.
Maybe your friend who is teaching you tunes can also help.

#1616298 - 02/09/11 04:55 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: chrisbell]
2000 Post Club Member

That's a valid point. But E7 does not exist in the key of C (its in a chromatic mediant relationship to C), but it does in the key of A major and minor.
But in the way I choose to look at tunes/songs (and it's also the way I teach it) is that the chords are not in isolation in its own bar but has a relationship to the following chord - that's what keeps a song moving forward - usually through a Cycle of Fifths.

It is also possible to only use a C major pentatonic scale as a solo scale all throughout the A section.

Thanks again Chris for your helpful and clear explanation.

#1616378 - 02/09/11 06:54 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: custard apple]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks 10
It seems like the scale I know is a combination of minor pentatonic and blues.
1 b3 4 b5 5 b7 1.

btw I think Dave Frank provides JOI Lesson 1 for free on his web-site. It's better to do his course with a great teacher, but you can always ask questions on the forum which is what I do.
Maybe your friend who is teaching you tunes can also help.

Hi custard,

Yes, that's the blues scale! I missed out a note, just went back and corrected it.

I just found the free lesson, thanks for the tip. Looks good. I take it he develops these strands (drills, voicings, listening) in further lessons? Good idea.

Dave also has master classes freely available to watch. His playing is just amazing.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1616648 - 02/10/11 03:22 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
2000 Post Club Member

Hi 10
So the blues scale is just the minor pentatonic with a b5 ?

Yes, you're right, that's why Knotty said it's dynamite if you are prepared to persevere with the course. Each lesson develops on the Hanons, voicings and listening. And you will get quicker at learning the tunes.

Dave's masterclasses must be unique, I think I know the Bill Evans one word for word wink

Page 113 of 124 < 1 2 ... 111 112 113 114 115 ... 123 124 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
141 registered (accordeur, A Guy, ABC Vermonter, Alux, AmateurBob, 39 invisible), 1545 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153690 Topics
2252929 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 11:26 PM
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 10:49 PM
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
04/23/14 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
04/23/14 10:00 PM
Canadian pricing for Kawai MP11?
by GWILLY
04/23/14 09:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission