Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1623222 - 02/18/11 07:55 PM CP5 vs RD700NX vs Nord Piano
rickshapiro Offline

I finally had the opportunity to play all three next to each other. I think at this point I've ruled out the Yamaha CP5, the piano is so perfect and pristine that it almost seemed bland next to the RD and NP. The Yamaha also had limited piano voicing (two voicings with some minor variations). I almost felt the CP5 voicings were no better then some of the add on voices that I've loaded into my Motif ES.

The RD pianos sounded great although everything was so harmonically rich as to be almost overwhelming. Hard to explain. The is just so much going on that it was almost distracting. Kind of the polar opposite of the CP5.

I really liked the NP, a lot of variation. The uprights were really fun. There was so much life and realism and the imperfections in the source pianos were strangely endearing. These was some comfort in the fact that these pianos sounded like acoustic pianos I've played in the past.

So, in ranking of keyboard feel from better to worse RD, CP5 then the NP. The RD was just wonderful, felt so confident and in control on it. The ND felt weighted but was just too light. I tried adjusting the sensitivity but I believe the default was already at the "hardest" curve. The NP feel was perfect for the electric pianos which were just so fun to play.

Obviously from a UI perceptive it does not get easier then the NP. The RD was not too bad. I did have to read the manual for the CP5 to find my way around.

I'm not sure how long the RD700NX was on the floor at the store but the keys were pretty filthy and worn (grooved) although that texture actually felt good, kind of gave a grip.

So everything has its compromises, such as life. The lack of split capabilities on the NP is going to cause me some grief but being under 40 pounds and so small in footprint is very compelling.

So, this weekend, I'm going to make a choice, I been going through this process for months. I want to get this off my plate and mind and get back to what really makes me happy, playing music.

Edited by rickshapiro (02/19/11 05:26 AM)

Nord NP88,Yamaha Motif ES7, Ensoniq KS32, Brodmann 187 Grand, JV2080, GR20, JV90, MKS-20, Sonar S1, Reaper, ACID, Record/Reason, Samplitude, VOX Tonelab, Tech21 Power Engine, NI, Kore, True Piano, Sampletank, Komplete, Bluesky Studio Monitors Yamaha 01X, Line 6 HD500, tons of guitars.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1623251 - 02/18/11 09:06 PM Re: CP5 vs RD700NX vs Nord Piano [Re: rickshapiro]
blueston Offline

Loc: MA, USA
Thanks for the review Rick. That particular shootout is very interesting to me.

#1623331 - 02/18/11 11:33 PM Re: CP5 vs RD700NX vs Nord Piano [Re: rickshapiro]
KHen Offline

Loc: North America
Yeah those are all good pianos. To bad the Kawai MP10 wasn't thrown into the mix for this review also. Let us know which you pick.

#1623441 - 02/19/11 05:28 AM Re: CP5 vs RD700NX vs Nord Piano [Re: KHen]
rickshapiro Offline

Originally Posted By: KHen
Yeah those are all good pianos. To bad the Kawai MP10 wasn't thrown into the mix for this review also. Let us know which you pick.

Me too, the dealer carried Kawai, but claimed they were two new. I'm not sure that is the case. Finding Kawai's seems harder then finding Nords. I think the 70+ pounds would have ruled out the MP10, I would need a road crew.

Edited by rickshapiro (02/19/11 06:10 AM)

Nord NP88,Yamaha Motif ES7, Ensoniq KS32, Brodmann 187 Grand, JV2080, GR20, JV90, MKS-20, Sonar S1, Reaper, ACID, Record/Reason, Samplitude, VOX Tonelab, Tech21 Power Engine, NI, Kore, True Piano, Sampletank, Komplete, Bluesky Studio Monitors Yamaha 01X, Line 6 HD500, tons of guitars.

#1623443 - 02/19/11 05:49 AM Re: CP5 vs RD700NX vs Nord Piano [Re: rickshapiro]
Aidan Offline

Loc: UK
I currently have a CP5 but am seriously considering the Nord to try to drop some weight. The Nord also has the best mono performance of the three (the Yamaha actually has no mono pianos), which is an important consideration when gigging and feeding FOH systems.

#1623663 - 02/19/11 01:21 PM Re: CP5 vs RD700NX vs Nord Piano [Re: rickshapiro]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm glad you got to play all three back to back. I'm telling you, the NP88 grows on you. I don't know what it is. Essbrace mentioned that to me before I bought my NP88, and he couldn't have been more correct. I could use a heavier action, but I could also use a Steinway B. My point is that through my expensive pursuit of the 'perfect' DP I finally realized that it's really a pursuit of the best compromises. For me it was the NP88. You mentioned wanting a DP with great acoustic and electric pianos, lightweight, etc...and that's the Nord. If you choose the NP88, you'll be glad you did. Plus I think you're going to love the ease of deleting and uploading new samples, plus you're gonna be blown away by the Bosendorfer sample (get it in XL size-it's worth it).

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers

"Life is a lot like jazz...it's best when you improvise."

#1623769 - 02/19/11 05:02 PM Re: CP5 vs RD700NX vs Nord Piano [Re: PianoZac]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
My order of preference is...CP5, Nord Piano, 700NX.

2005 NY Steinway D, Nord Piano 2

#1623848 - 02/19/11 06:50 PM Re: CP5 vs RD700NX vs Nord Piano [Re: rickshapiro]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Yes, interesting comparison and I think I agree with all of the OP's findings. It's nice to have such a great choice these days.

Steve

#1624064 - 02/20/11 04:23 AM Re: CP5 vs RD700NX vs Nord Piano [Re: PianoZac]
Aidan Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: PianoZac
through my expensive pursuit of the 'perfect' DP I finally realized that it's really a pursuit of the best compromises.

Anyone in the market for a DP would do well to take this on board. smile

#1625040 - 02/21/11 10:13 AM Re: CP5 vs RD700NX vs Nord Piano [Re: Aidan]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Aidan
through my expensive pursuit of the 'perfect' DP I finally realized that it's really a pursuit of the best compromises.

As simple a concept as it appears, unfortunately, I learned after a lot of money had been spent. tired

Which way did you decide Rick? The NP88 smile or CP5 seemed to suit you best.

#1625066 - 02/21/11 10:49 AM Re: CP5 vs RD700NX vs Nord Piano [Re: PianoZac]
rickshapiro Offline

Originally Posted By: Aidan

As simple a concept as it appears, unfortunately, I learned after a lot of money had been spent. tired

Which way did you decide Rick? The NP88 smile or CP5 seemed to suit you best.

I'm pathetic, I went and played the RD and CP5 again, like both of them. I'm really concerned about liking the Nord keybed in the long term. I've also been playing my soft pianos (True Piano and all the pianos with Kcomplete) and really like the flexibility of software. I'm again thinking about just finding the best action and lugging around a small computer with softsynths.

I really need some more time on the Nord, the problem is it is an hour drive into NYC which is the only place where this a Nord Piano in the area.

#1625079 - 02/21/11 11:02 AM Re: CP5 vs RD700NX vs Nord Piano [Re: rickshapiro]
rickshapiro Offline

My other thought is drive the Nord from my KS32 when at home. I really like the feel of the KS32. Take the Nord out for gigs, enjoy the 40 pounds and the sound, use the KS32 to drive it at home.

Thanks,

Rick

#1625111 - 02/21/11 11:33 AM Re: CP5 vs RD700NX vs Nord Piano [Re: rickshapiro]
Benoit N Offline

Loc: France
Hello rickshapiro

I was in the same situation as you.
I spent several hours in my local music shop playing the RD-700NX and CP-5... Some days I preferred the Yamaha, other days the Roland.
Finally two weeks ago I bought the Nord Piano without trying it (I was only able to try the Nord Stage in another shop).

Altough I was at first disappointed and still have several criticisms regarding the Nord Piano (I will write later on this) I'm now very happy.

Unfortunately, all these 3 DPs have pros and cons.
But IMHO, the Nord Piano is currently one of the DP that sounds the best in live situations. To me, it is the only DP which reproduces the rich overtones of an acoustic piano in the middle register.
The action isn't very good indeed, it feels really plastic, but, altough it lacks dynamics in the pianissimo, the expressivity is very good.
Also, I have an acoustic upright and play weekly on a grand, so I can practice my technique on "true" pianos.
To me, the compromise was to choose the DP that sounds the best to my ears in live situations.
Moreover, I went to the conclusion that, anyway, no DP action comes close to an acoustic piano.
Of course, I would prefer to have the action of the CP-5 or the Roland on the NP...

Regards,

Benoît

#1625137 - 02/21/11 11:57 AM Re: CP5 vs RD700NX vs Nord Piano [Re: Benoit N]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rickshapiro
My other thought is drive the Nord from my KS32 when at home. I really like the feel of the KS32. Take the Nord out for gigs, enjoy the 40 pounds and the sound, use the KS32 to drive it at home.

Thanks,

Rick

Yeah Rick, I think you are facing what so many of us face. That's why I wrote what I wrote above. It really comes down to very personal tastes and compromises. For me, even though the action isn't as good as the CP5/RD700NX, I liked everything else about the Nord better, and it grew on me BIG time after spending hours with it. I think in the end, you'd probably be very happy with the purchase of any of these boards. It's a shame the MP10 weighs so much, because I think it misses out in a lot of comparisons for gigging musicians due to the 70lb. weight.

Originally Posted By: Benoit.N
Hello rickshapiro

Altough I was at first disappointed and still have several criticisms regarding the Nord Piano (I will write later on this) I'm now very happy.

Unfortunately, all these 3 DPs have pros and cons.
But IMHO, the Nord Piano is currently one of the DP that sounds the best in live situations. To me, it is the only DP which reproduces the rich overtones of an acoustic piano in the middle register.
The action isn't very good indeed, it feels really plastic, but, altough it lacks dynamics in the pianissimo, the expressivity is very good.
Also, I have an acoustic upright and play weekly on a grand, so I can practice my technique on "true" pianos.
To me, the compromise was to choose the DP that sounds the best to my ears in live situations.
Moreover, I went to the conclusion that, anyway, no DP action comes close to an acoustic piano.
Of course, I would prefer to have the action of the CP-5 or the Roland on the NP...

Regards,

Benoît

And this is the truth. There is no DP, except probably some of the highest end DPs, that can reproduce a truly 'realistic' feeling playing experience. Once I realized that my long search for the best action was really all for not, I started examining the things that should matter more in a DP for me. Sound, weight, flexibility, ease of use, etc, and after careful and long hours playing many instruments, and some wonderful advice from some users on here, EssBrace and Dave Ferris, I decided on the Nord Piano. I'm really glad I chose it. It exceeds in all my criteria.

Now, it's time to start looking for more space to live so that I can look for a real instrument...probably 6' grand. I think my wife could deal with that. smile

#1625709 - 02/22/11 02:57 AM Re: CP5 vs RD700NX vs Nord Piano [Re: rickshapiro]
PoleStar Offline

Loc: Ireland
How do you find the Nord for playing classical for example. I do like the Nord sound but fear that when I have to play on an acoustic I will suffer because of the ungraded light key action.

Opinions would be appreciated thanks!

#1625715 - 02/22/11 03:45 AM Re: CP5 vs RD700NX vs Nord Piano [Re: rickshapiro]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Take a look at Zac's other post here:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1620739

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (3rd Ear, ADWyatt, Almaviva, ando, 42 invisible), 1775 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74270 Members
42 Forums
153629 Topics
2251700 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CA95 noisy front rail
by lolatu
Today at 10:57 AM
It's not so simple as the 10,000 hour rule.
by Brad Hoehne
Today at 10:43 AM
Day brightener
by Chuck Behm
Today at 10:09 AM
Paris Atelier
by Beemer
Today at 09:20 AM
Lubricious Whippen Cushions
by Grotriman
Today at 09:12 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission