Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 40 of 47 < 1 2 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 46 47 >
Topic Options
#1472223 - 07/11/10 09:03 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: piano4]
Undone Offline

Loc: USA, CT
Moonlight Sonata is comming along nicely now. I'm playing it all the way through and working on a couple of trouble spots. I also finished the second appearance of "Rock-a My Sole" (the song that just won't go away) and have moved on to Prelude in E flat Major.

Piano4 - hope your hand is doing better!

Undone

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1472239 - 07/11/10 09:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Undone]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Undone - your tenacity and perserverence in pursuit of mastery of "Moonlight" is exemplary and commendable - looking forward to hearing a recording soon - might even pay to see you play this live and in person!

JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1472752 - 07/12/10 07:32 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: TrapperJohn]
Undone Offline

Thanks JF, usually people pay to have me stop playing. smile

Undone

#1475654 - 07/16/10 03:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: PianoTeacherKim]
DougWill Offline

Loc: Worcester England
After years away from the piano, I have returned at age 64.
Yes, I set myself goals but only in the short term. The journey is more important than the destination. I have jumped in at Book 3 ..... a bit ambitious I hear you say. Not only that .. I have gone straight to the back of the book and found I could play the first 20 bars or so of Bach's Tocatta and Fugue. What joy! Definitely tingles down the spine.
I regret being away from the piano for so many years but I will make the most of it now.
I suits me to practise Bach's arpeggios with those tonal progressions rather than routine exercises. That is part of the ( enjoyable ) journey.

Doug

#1476921 - 07/19/10 07:47 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: DougWill]
Undone Offline

Doug - Glad you found a "re-entry point" that's right for you, and it's great to hear that you've been able to "shake the dust off" and get right back into the swing of things so quickly. Welcome to the Book 3 thread!

Undone

#1479168 - 07/22/10 12:26 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
joflah Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Hello, all,
I am looking for a list of the pieces in Book #3. I can't find it, even on www.alfred.com. Does anyone know where it may be found?

--
Jack

#1479198 - 07/22/10 01:01 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: joflah]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
link to amazon page Alfred AIO 3

click on "look inside" on the left to see table of contents.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1479231 - 07/22/10 02:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: JimF]
joflah Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Thanks, Jim.

--
Jack

#1480555 - 07/24/10 01:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: joflah]
piano4 Offline

Loc: Hampton, Virginia
Awesome Undone! And thank you for the well wishes! My hand is improving but I am not pushing it! I was hoping to get through"Moonlight Sonata" by the end of this month, but I have the whole summer! And hey, I would even pay to hear you play this (smile).

Welcome to book 3, Doug!
Everybody take care and stay cool!

#1480711 - 07/24/10 05:26 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: piano4]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: piano4
Awesome Undone! ...

And hey, I would even pay to hear you play this (smile).

Ha! A live audience of two - and counting...when do tiks go on sale? smile

JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1481038 - 07/25/10 09:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: TrapperJohn]
Undone Offline

Ha! Well thanks for the vote of confidence anyway. I'm trying to have Moonlight wrapped up and recorded for the upcoming recital, but it's going to be close. I'm leaving on vacation before the recital deadline, so I don't have much time left.

Undone

#1491121 - 08/08/10 07:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: TrapperJohn]
piano4 Offline

I love this! Haven't seen anything on "ticketmaster"yet:-)
Now, for me to get moving on this!!

#1504794 - 08/28/10 11:59 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: piano4]
Undone Offline

Hey gang, Well I didn’t get Moonlight finished before going on vacation or for the recital, and the vacation did set me back a little once I returned, but at long last here is my recording of the first movement of Ludwig van Beethoven’s Op. 27 No. 2 Sonata Quasi Una Fantasia aka Moonlight Sonata:

Moonlight Sonata (First Movement)

And best of all the tickets are free. There are plenty of things in need of improvement in this recording; a goof here and there and some tempo issues among other things, but trying to get a good recording of a selection this long is challenging enough, so I’m giving myself a “pass” on this one and moving on to the other pieces I still have to complete in Book 3.

Undone

#1504815 - 08/28/10 12:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Undone]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Wow, I thought it was great. Added to the opening thread! I believe this means you graduated book 3.

#1504884 - 08/28/10 03:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Undone Offline

Thanks Mark, but I'm not quite through with Book 3 yet. At the bottom of various pieces in the book it says "you are now ready to try ... in the Ambitious section". I've been trying to tackle these pieces when indicated. So I'm getting closer, but still have a ways to go before I'll be finished with all the selections in book 3.

Undone

#1505022 - 08/28/10 08:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Undone]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Hey, that sounded terrific, Undone!

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1505054 - 08/28/10 09:20 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Mark...
Wow, I thought it was great. Added to the opening thread! I believe this means you graduated book 3.

I'd agree - excellent work thumb

But hey, if he wants to hang around there for a little while, 6mths I may be able to catch up (lol). Been way too busy having fun with other stuff but I do want to get back to finishing #3 after taking the better part of a 1yr off it..
- SC

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1505807 - 08/30/10 07:13 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: TTigg]
Undone Offline

Thanks mom3gram & TTigg, I’ve been working on this piece so long now that I’m just glad to be able to move on and not spend the majority of my time at the piano working on it. It’s going to take me a while to finish book 3 (you’ll probably still beat me TTigg smile ) especially with pieces like Toccata in D and Fur Elise still to do, but I do need to start thinking about what to do in my “life after Alfred’s”.

Undone

#1505821 - 08/30/10 07:49 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Undone]
GustavoF Offline

Loc: France
I love the Moonlight Sonata recording! Great work!

"The maze was so small that you got lost looking for it." by Terry Pratchett.

#1506785 - 08/31/10 07:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: GustavoF]
piano4 Offline

OH MY GOSH! Awesome... Beautifully done!

You give me hope, Undone!

#1507093 - 09/01/10 07:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Undone Offline

Thanks GustavoF & piano4, I think this is my favorite Book 3 piece so far. There’s a lot more that can be done to improve my performance, but that’s what makes this sort of piece fun to continue to work on.

Undone

#1507403 - 09/01/10 08:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
piano4 Offline

Bravo, Bravo! I listened to your performance again. It is very clear and it is helping me! I'm still working on it. My hand is improving and i'm taking it easy AND I'm not giving up( smile)

Let me ask a question? On the second page,the second line, measure 4... my downfall was trying to reach that C and that's how I overstretched my hand,do you think that by sustaining the B and not playing the C, would be determintal to the sound?? I'm continuing to try to play as written but I'm also looking to see how I can get the correct sound?

Thanks!

#1507606 - 09/02/10 07:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Undone Offline

Piano4 – I’m away from home at the moment but will try my best to remember to look at measure you speak of tonight when I get home (I now the area you’re talking about, but not well enough to comment without looking at it). Most importantly; don’t do anything to hurt yourself again!

On an aside; I learned a piece by the name of “A Bag of Rags” a while back and it had numerous hand stretches that were, well, “a stretch” for me. I found that I could only practice that piece for short periods of time in the beginning, otherwise my hand would start to feel a little sore. That piece took me many months to finish, but as time went by, I could work on it for longer and longer periods of time before I felt it in my hand.

Undone

#1507929 - 09/02/10 04:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: piano4]
Undone Offline

Originally Posted By: piano4
Bravo, Bravo! I listened to your performance again. It is very clear and it is helping me! I'm still working on it. My hand is improving and i'm taking it easy AND I'm not giving up( smile)

Let me ask a question? On the second page,the second line, measure 4... my downfall was trying to reach that C and that's how I overstretched my hand,do you think that by sustaining the B and not playing the C, would be determintal to the sound?? I'm continuing to try to play as written but I'm also looking to see how I can get the correct sound?

Thanks!

Piano4 – Well I thought I knew the area you were talking about , but not that I have my music here in front of me I ‘m not so sure. In my book, there are only three measures per line on pages one and two. But if you mean measure number 18 (actually it would be the same thing in measure 16) and are referring to the first beat where the right hand plays both a B (eighth note) and C natural (dotted half), then I would say it no, it is more important to hit that C natural even if you don’t play the B since that is where the melody is. But I’m no instructor, and would just reiterate that the most important thing is to not hurt your hand again by over stretching it.

Undone

#1525451 - 09/30/10 07:27 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Undone Offline

Just to get this thread back up from the depths – I’m currently trying to finish up “Dry Bones”. This is one of those pieces I wasn’t all that thrilled about playing but thought I should be able to knock it off quickly. It’s already taken me much longer than anticipated.

Undone

#1530909 - 10/08/10 11:16 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
YellowDog1040 Offline

I'm new to this group, but looking forward to participating. Right now I'm working my way through Book #3 with my instructor. What comes after book #3?

#1531042 - 10/08/10 02:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
I can't believe I took almost 1yr off #3. I mean I started it but then was having way too much fun in exploring (mainly Einaudi) Will pick it up again towards the end of the year in a hope to get that notch on the belt completed. thumb

Yellow - what comes after? a lot of fun and enjoyment of playing pieces you love..Not sure if there are other books/details to follow that though..
- SC

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1532908 - 10/11/10 07:39 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
Undone Offline

Hi YellowDog and welcome to the group! The topic of “What comes after book 3” comes up from time to time here in the ABF. Here is a thread on the topic:
Life after Alfred’s book 3

and here is a post by one of our long time Alfred supporters JF who actually corresponded with Alfred Publishing Co. on this very topic:
What comes next

Tigg - Good to hear from you again.

Undone

#1534419 - 10/13/10 06:32 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
pianoist d'amore Offline

Loc: El Macero, CA, USA
Dear all,

It seems everyone here is enjoying Alfred's course book. I've been learning piano for two months now. My piano teacher assigned a few random pieces from Alfred's level 1 and 2 books to me when I first started, but we gave up on following any course books because we can't figure out which level I fit in. Yet personally, I still very much hope that I could have a main book that I follow through every single piece without feeling too boring or too overwhelmed. Right now, I'm studying Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, Clementi's Sonatina Op.36 No.1, and Schumann Album for the Young Op.68 (so I guess I'm pretty comfortable studying ABRSM Grade 3 pieces).

I'd like to join the Alfred classmates, but I don't know where I should start... I'm guessing skill-wise, I'm probably somewhere between level 2 and level 3. But I notice that some quite advanced players here started from level 1 and went through the pieces quickly regardless of their previoius experience. Is it any advantage to that? Would you recommend starting from level 1 or jumping into the middle of the course? If you recommend jumping in, where is the best place for me to start?

Thanks!

#1534438 - 10/13/10 07:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: pianoist d'amore]
Undone Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoist d'amore
Dear all,

It seems everyone here is enjoying Alfred's course book. I've been learning piano for two months now. My piano teacher assigned a few random pieces from Alfred's level 1 and 2 books to me when I first started, but we gave up on following any course books because we can't figure out which level I fit in. Yet personally, I still very much hope that I could have a main book that I follow through every single piece without feeling too boring or too overwhelmed. Right now, I'm studying Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, Clementi's Sonatina Op.36 No.1, and Schumann Album for the Young Op.68 (so I guess I'm pretty comfortable studying ABRSM Grade 3 pieces).

I'd like to join the Alfred classmates, but I don't know where I should start... I'm guessing skill-wise, I'm probably somewhere between level 2 and level 3. But I notice that some quite advanced players here started from level 1 and went through the pieces quickly regardless of their previoius experience. Is it any advantage to that? Would you recommend starting from level 1 or jumping into the middle of the course? If you recommend jumping in, where is the best place for me to start?

Thanks!

WOW! That’s some pretty amazing progress for only two months of piano. I’m one of the one’s who had some lessons and played piano many, many years ago and then, upon “re-starting” my study of piano, went back to the very beginning and worked my way through the Alfred books page by page. I feel I have benefitted from this and wouldn’t feel bad about recommending it as one way to go unless the individual was working with a teacher, as you are.

In this case I’d recommend sticking with what your teacher suggests. As you do so, feel free to post to any of the Alfred book threads. If you’ve been working on a piece from book 2, you can post about it in the book 2 thread . Next you’re on a piece that seems similar in difficulty to the one’s in book 3, post here about it. Once you start doing so, you may find that one book or another is “hot” at the moment and that there is a lot of discussion going on there. In that case, you may want to keep posting to that thread. As long as it feels like the things being discussed relate to you and the things you are currently working on, feel free to post there.

Undone

Page 40 of 47 < 1 2 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 46 47 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Digital piano key noise
by bigsmile
09/21/14 03:15 AM
Hans von Bulow's piano
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:57 AM
Rubinstein teaching style
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:52 AM
Question regarding "technique"
by Francisco Scalco
09/21/14 12:29 AM
How about this Knabe Studio Piano?
by Paul678
09/20/14 11:49 PM
Who's Online
58 registered (bennevis, Ben_NZ, AliAlkhiro, 36251, Beth_Frances, beeboss, 13 invisible), 909 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157662 Topics
2315774 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission