2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 7 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1623337 02/19/11 12:38 AM
C
CraigG Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Just saw him perform Beethoven's Fourth Concerto. Absolutely fantastic performance, and a pretty nice guy as well. After he took his bow with the conductor, he ran back to the piano and shut the lid in order that the audience could see the musicians who had been sitting behind it. First time I've seen that done.

Spoke to him briefly afterwards, he's quite personable and friendly.

Ignorance is not a point of view.
CraigG #1623357 02/19/11 01:19 AM
R
R
He's an incredible musician - I saw him perform a Schumann recital in Quebec this past summer.

He's coming to my city to perform all of the Beethoven Concerti in 2 nights - I can't tell you how excited I am!
He's also giving a masterclass, which I am thankfully playing for! I've heard he is quite the tough teacher though. I'll, of course, be playing Beethoven and I'm really eager to hear all that he has to say.

CraigG #1623462 02/19/11 08:18 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
He used to perform all 5 Beethoven PC and the Choral Fantasy(with a 2 hour break for dinner) on New Years Eve in NYC.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
He used to perform all 5 Beethoven PC and the Choral Fantasy(with a 2 hour break for dinner) on New Years Eve in NYC.

Really! When? where did he perform?. Was it a recurring tradition or a one time thing? That would be a great way to spend New Year's Eve.

Last edited by Andromaque; 02/19/11 08:34 AM.
CraigG #1623476 02/19/11 08:53 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I have known Anton Kuerti for many years. He is a close friend to my girlfriend's family-her father has been his technician for over 20 years.
He is an awe-inspiring pianist, certainly one of the best in the world within the 'classical' niche.

Last thing of Anton's I listened to was a CD of late Chopin.... the 3rd Sonata is on there. It's crazy interesting, although not the way I play it.

His wife, Kristine Bogyo, passed away tragically about four years ago.

I had known her for about five years. I played in her youth orchestra (cello) and always admired her passion and courage.

As her battle with cancer became increasingly severe, Anton would frequently conduct rehearsals. Occasionally the job would go to their son, Julian.
Julian has a very promising conducting career ahead of him-only in his early 30's, and he has already been Assistant Conductor for the Boston Sympohony under James Levine.

Their other son, Raf, is persuing a career in the underground hip-hop scene, using his background as a cellist to write tracks for people. He used to do our sectional rehearsals back in the day.

My respect for Anton is immense.
At his age, SO MANY wonderful pianists face a decline in the quality of their work, at least from a technical perspective.
Anton still practices long hours, and has some of the best fingers in the business.

CraigG #1623481 02/19/11 09:09 AM
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Thankd for starting this thread. Unfortunately I never heard of him before. Looking at his bio, obviously an oversight to be corrected.

How do his recordings of the Beethoven sonatas compare with others? Does he bring something special to them?

Last edited by Bart Kinlein; 02/19/11 09:10 AM.

Steinway 1905 model A, rebuild started 2008, completed 2012
Yahama CVP-401
Will somone get my wife off the Steinway so I can play it!
Online Content
Originally Posted by Andromaque

Really! When? where did he perform?. Was it a recurring tradition or a one time thing? That would be a great way to spend New Year's Eve.
This was a recurring tradition at the 92nd Street Y that stopped when the conductor of the Jupiter Symphony, Jens Nygaard passed away. Besides one or two New Year's Eve performances I was lucky to have attended one of the rehearsals in some studio on West 14th Street. The year before Nygaard died, although he knew he was ill, he joked about performing all the Beethoven Symphonies on New Year's Eve.

I heard Kuerti for the first time at Columbia's Miller Theater(Beethoven Piano Sonata No.1, Czerny Piano Sonata No. 1, Schumann Piano Sonata No.1). The second time was at Mannes and the only thing I can remember from the program were several of the Schumann Novellettes. At Mannes, he also had a lengthy discussion with their tech about the key dip and other issues about the piano. I got the impression Kuerti was quite knowledgable about the technical workings of a piano.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
At Mannes, he also had a lengthy discussion with their tech about the key dip and other issues about the piano. I got the impression Kuerti was quite knowledgable about the technical workings of a piano.

I asked Anton once "how was the piano?" prior to having to play on the same instrument and his wonderful response was "oh, about 33 grams."

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
C
CraigG Offline OP
OP Offline
C
From the Winnipeg Free Press:

Anton Kuerti, one of the greatest living pianists, showed how it's done at the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra's latest Masterworks concert. The internationally renowned artist dazzled Friday night's crowd with his interpretation of Beethoven's Piano Concerto in G major, Op. 58.

At 72, the Austrian-born pianist possesses the power of a musician half his age. His awards include the Governor General's Lifetime Artistic Achievement Award as well as being named an Officer of the Order of Canada. Every time he performs is a celebrated occasion. This one was no different.

Beethoven's three-movement concerto received its Viennese première in 1808, performed by the composer himself. It brims with both fiery bursts of temperament and limpid introspection.

After the first movement, Allegro moderato's opening hushed chords, Kuerti proceeded to display his famous razor-sharp attack and fierce intensity.

Yes, he sits unusually low at the keyboard and his pedalling technique is unique. But it doesn't matter, for you know you're in the hands of a true master as he performs with the conviction and artistry honed over a lifetime.

One highlight proved to be his heart-stopping cadenza at the movement's end, marrying an easy rubato with lightning-quick changes of mood. He then launched into the Andante con moto with its achingly beautiful theme. Kuerti's ability to enter deeply into the music made this a treasure.

The pianist's sparkling delivery and technique captured the joviality of the third movement's jaunty Rondo:Vivace.

Not only is Kuerti a brilliant artist, the crowd also had an opportunity to see his generosity of spirit. Immediately following his performance, he quickly popped the lid so that the orchestra's players could be seen during their bow. Even the musicians -- to whom Kuerti blew kisses -- appeared astonished.

The second half of the concert featured Anton Bruckner's Symphony No. 7 in E major

Ignorance is not a point of view.
CraigG #1623742 02/19/11 04:50 PM
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
One of the really really great masters, and: still around! Everyone seeing his poster: buy a ticket, go and marvel!

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
CraigG #1623865 02/19/11 08:22 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I saw him once perform a couple Beethoven Sonatas (No. 1 & some other one) followed by a lecture/performance on the Diabellis. It was a very intense concert. I found that my attention lagged a little toward the end of the Diabellis, but that may have been more my fault than his. Props to any musician who performs a work like that live.

CraigG #1623872 02/19/11 08:35 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I hope I will get to catch someone (really good) play the Diabellis in live performance. Current favorite is Richter. Love love this work..

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission