Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
154 registered (36251, ajames, accordeur, Alegretto, 42 invisible), 1749 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1629536 - 02/27/11 08:25 PM Re: yamaha cvp 5xx series can anyone shed some light on these? [Re: craig son of berg]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Toh-may-toh, toh-mah-toh...

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1629716 - 02/28/11 04:14 AM Re: yamaha cvp 5xx series can anyone shed some light on these? [Re: craig son of berg]
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Originally Posted By: craig1999871
[quote=MacMacMac]So what exactly is meant by "layer"?
Timbre varies with volume, so the sound is more realistic.

#1629723 - 02/28/11 04:47 AM Re: yamaha cvp 5xx series can anyone shed some light on these? [Re: craig son of berg]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Another question(if I did buy the mp10) I notice it has 3 layers of piano sounds. Im guessing that is dynamic as in p f ff. Would I be able to get a vst that does 4 or 5 when available? or is it a sensor thing that is on the piano that only looks for 3 velocity layers.

Most DP keyboards will produce all (or most) MIDI velocity levels from 0-127. Some actually don't produce levels much above 105-110, but it's easy to expand the range all the way to 127 in the computer that runs your virtual piano software. The number of actual sample levels captured (recorded) from an acoustic piano varies from as few as 3 in a DP to many more in virtual piano software (Ivory II has 18 captured levels for instance). DPs and virtual pianos will interpolate between the captured levels for the entire range of 0-127 velocity levels. The advantage of capturing more sample levels from the acoustic piano is the ability reproduce the acoustic's wide timbre range (as opposed to only volume changes) as the keys are struck at different velocities.

You said above that "my priorities are to have the best possible acoustic grand sound and to have the best possible touch feel to that of a real piano." IMO, you will never achieve your sound priorities with a DP. That requires many more captured sampling layers than normally found in DP's. It also requires sustain (damper pedal) resonance, sympathetic string resonance, release samples, and half pedaling capabilities that are typically either not included or not done particularly well in DPs.

I would be willing to bet that whatever DP you buy it will not sound nearly as good to you 30 days after you buy it when you've had the time and experience with it to discover it's limitations emulating an acoustic piano. (You will never be perfectly happy with virtual piano software either, but it's a lot less expensive to spend $100-$300 to upgrade, or acquire a selection of virtual piano software for different musical preferences, than buy new DP's). So my bottom line recommendation is to buy a DP keyboard for the touch you like (and be sure you get a proportional damper pedal) and any fun features you might like to fool around with, but pretty much ignore its built in piano sounds. Unless you spend considerable money for a DP, you can also ignore its built-in speakers and amplifiers because they also won't satisfy your stated goal. You'll have to provide a separate sound system if you want to approach the sound of an acoustic piano. Then get some first-class virtual piano software and you should be in pretty good shape to meet your goals.

Just my opinion, but it works for me.

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#1629743 - 02/28/11 06:41 AM Re: yamaha cvp 5xx series can anyone shed some light on these? [Re: craig son of berg]
craig son of berg Offline

Loc: WPB, FL, US of A
Thanks macy. I know I'm tired of my acoustic piano. Thanks for all your detailed help.

#1629763 - 02/28/11 07:34 AM Re: yamaha cvp 5xx series can anyone shed some light on these? [Re: FogVilleLad]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: FogVilleLad
[quote=MacMacMac]So what exactly is meant by "layer"?
Timbre varies with volume, so the sound is more realistic.
I see that some pianos (Casio) feature "split and layers", while others (Roland) offer "layers, zones, and effects" ... which can be selected/configured.

So it seems that to them (Casio, Roland), layers means something quite different than sampling levels. Exactly what they mean I cannot say.

#1629764 - 02/28/11 07:37 AM Re: yamaha cvp 5xx series can anyone shed some light on these? [Re: craig son of berg]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

MacMacMac, I expect 'layers' in this context refers to the ability to combine two or more different sounds (e.g. piano with strings). In the Kawai world this is referred to as 'Dual Mode'.

Cheers,
James
x

#1629790 - 02/28/11 08:43 AM Re: yamaha cvp 5xx series can anyone shed some light on these? [Re: craig son of berg]
hpeterh Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
In this interview, the interviewer explicitely asked about the samples, and how many "layers". He appeared a little bit to be a layman and did not know the right term ;-)

The Kawai man answered these samples are all totally new and incredibly big and "up to seven layers in the MP10". The other stuff that was talked about is not of interest here, it is commonly known stuff.

Ok, when he played the MP6, the interviewer wondered about the very "fat" sound and asked "is there reverb in?". Kawai man answered " no reverb, thats purely the pedal's effect".

;-)

#1630668 - 03/01/11 12:16 PM Re: yamaha cvp 5xx series can anyone shed some light on these? [Re: hpeterh]

looks like kawai mp10's are not available until march 18th 2011. anybody hear different date?

#1630842 - 03/01/11 04:53 PM Re: yamaha cvp 5xx series can anyone shed some light on these? [Re: craig son of berg]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

craig2999871, may I ask where you heard this information?

Kind regards,
James
x

#1630856 - 03/01/11 05:12 PM Re: yamaha cvp 5xx series can anyone shed some light on these? [Re: Kawai James]

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
craig2999871, may I ask where you heard this information?

Kind regards,
James
x

http://www.kraftmusic.com/catalog/keyboards/88keykeyboards/index.asp?product=8595
Out Of Stock
This item is currently out of stock. It is expected to arrive on 3/18/2011.

can you add any info about why everyone is out?

Edited by craig1999871 (03/01/11 05:13 PM)

#1630897 - 03/01/11 06:09 PM Re: yamaha cvp 5xx series can anyone shed some light on these? [Re: craig son of berg]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

can you add any info about why everyone is out?

I'm sorry, I'm not involved in that side of the business - I just write the owner's manuals and brochures.

Questions relating to instrument pricing, distribution, and availability within the US are best handled by the folks at Kawai US.

Kind regards,
James
x

#1630972 - 03/01/11 08:09 PM Re: yamaha cvp 5xx series can anyone shed some light on these? [Re: Kawai James]

seems like alot of things are having production problems lately. must be the crappy economy. thanks obama! change alright.

#1671931 - 05/05/11 10:17 AM Re: yamaha cvp 5xx series can anyone shed some light on these? [Re: craig son of berg]
Piotrek Offline

Hi!! I'm sorry for my language but I am from Poland ( forgive me! ). I've read a lot of text about yamaha cvp especialy cvp 500 series. I am intersted to buy yamaha cvp 505 or 509. I know the differences between those two models but i want to know if 509 is worth its price?? I know that 505 is very good digital piano but 509 has more speakers - that means it better sounds. But is it worth to spend 2000$ more comparing to 505????
I will be very greatfull for answer!!
I want to add that I've never played on 505 and 509.
I tried to 403 and 405 and I love it!!

#1671934 - 05/05/11 10:18 AM Re: yamaha cvp 5xx series can anyone shed some light on these? [Re: craig son of berg]
Piotrek Offline

Hi!! I'm sorry for my language but I am from Poland ( forgive me! ). I've read a lot of text about yamaha cvp especialy cvp 500 series. I am intersted to buy yamaha cvp 505 or 509. I know the differences between those two models but i want to know if 509 is worth its price?? I know that 505 is very good digital piano but 509 has more speakers - that means it better sounds. But is it worth to spend 2000$ more comparing to 505????
I will be very greatfull for answer!!
I want to add that I've never played on 505 and 509.
I tried to 403 and 405 and I love it!!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Upright dampers not damping much, what to look for?
by JoeThePro
12/19/14 01:26 PM
Restoration referrals needed
by Dewdman42
12/19/14 12:38 PM
Single note with a "harsh sound"
by i1lsia
12/19/14 12:23 PM
Schaff Bros baby grand piano $300
by Paul678
12/19/14 11:24 AM
What to Practice, Given My Goal
by st23
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159987 Topics
2349450 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission