2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GlassLove
...I did get the Dover book, it is really a beautiful collection. The paper is of very high quality and the book is easy to keep open to a particular page.

In case any one else is considering the whole collection-all of the pieces range in difficulty from 4-8, with the majority being 4 or 6.

~Christine

Thanks for the recommendation Christine thumb I just ordered the Dover Edition from Amazon - I was going to get it from sheetmusicplus but they didn't have it in stock currently - it worked out well since it was $5 cheaper at Amazon!

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John Frank
Originally Posted by Canonie
Q: I'm currently working on Grieg's "Waltz", Op.12, No.2 - is this one of the "Lyric Pieces"?

JF

This piece is an favourite of mine at the moment. I think it is my favourite to perform for someone else. I love playing it, so nice to find that someone else is enjoying it too smile

Yes, I am enjoying it, although it may be a little while until I can get it up to it's indicated tempo of Allegro Moderato or even Moderato for that matter smile But, I would really like to hear your rendition of it. Any chance?

I seem to be stuck on waltzes right now (not a bad thing at all), having just finished Schubert's in B Minor and Maykapar's in D Major, which I put together as a medley in the current ABF Recital.

And I'm tentatively thinking about next taking on a somewhat simplified version of Tchaikovsky's delightfully uplifting "Waltz" from the "Sleeping Beauty" ballet suit.

I think I'm in a waltz phase too. On suggestion of Bunneh i've looked at Remembrance - I love it, charming! Then I will have a set that goes Arietta, Waltz (12/2), Remembrance (71/7).

JF I probably would be brave enough to share this waltz with you, but I don't have stuff for recording yet (that's on To Do list too). I love playing it many different ways. Sometimes I sustain though those staccato chords with pedal, sometimes they are bright and short. I look forward to hearing yours when you are ready to record it.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
K
K
Q: I'm currently working on Grieg's "Waltz", Op.12, No.2 - is this one of the "Lyric Pieces"?

JF

This piece is an favourite of mine at the moment. I think it is my favourite to perform for someone else. I love playing it, so nice to find that someone else is enjoying it too smile

Yes, I am enjoying it, although it may be a little while until I can get it up to it's indicated tempo of Allegro Moderato or even Moderato for that matter smile But, I would really like to hear your rendition of it. Any chance?

I seem to be stuck on waltzes right now (not a bad thing at all), having just finished Schubert's in B Minor and Maykapar's in D Major, which I put together as a medley in the current ABF Recital.

And I'm tentatively thinking about next taking on a somewhat simplified version of Tchaikovsky's delightfully uplifting "Waltz" from the "Sleeping Beauty" ballet suit.

I think I'm in a waltz phase too. On suggestion of Bunneh i've looked at Remembrance - I love it, charming! Then I will have a set that goes Arietta, Waltz (12/2), Remembrance (71/7).

JF I probably would be brave enough to share this waltz with you, but I don't have stuff for recording yet (that's on To Do list too). I love playing it many different ways. Sometimes I sustain though those staccato chords with pedal, sometimes they are bright and short. I look forward to hearing yours when you are ready to record it.

Arietta, Waltz, Remembrance would be a great programme. A sort of condensed Lyric Pieces ! I play 12/2 so maybe I'll record it for a piano bar sometime soon.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
...I think I'm in a waltz phase too. On suggestion of Bunneh i've looked at Remembrance - I love it, charming! Then I will have a set that goes Arietta, Waltz (12/2), Remembrance (71/7).

Originally Posted by KeemaNan
...Arietta, Waltz, Remembrance would be a great programme. A sort of condensed Lyric Pieces ! I play 12/2 so maybe I'll record it for a piano bar sometime soon.

I just listened to Arietta (a woman's name?) and Remembrance on YT - both are very pretty and lyrical - KeemaNan, would like to hear your version also in a PB - maybe someday I'll do a medley of all three for a Recital (with the Waltz sandwiched in the middle!) - looking forward to my music book getting here this week.

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi John,
That would be a lot of fun!!!
BTW: I think Arietta means "little or short Aria." I really like Opus 12- Watchman's Song and Album Leaf along with the Waltz you are playing and Arietta are my favorites.

Christine

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Christine - you're right about the definition of "arietta" - never heard it before, even after years of listening to opera!
Thanks. Goes to show that "old dogs" can learn something new...

JF

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Guess What! In an amazing turn of fate I have been asked to perform a set of background music next weekend. So that means I get to inflict my 12/2 on the public, must rush to get Arietta ready, but pretty sure there is not enough time to learn Remembrance (I have to organise/practise/choose the rest of the set).

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Guess What! In an amazing turn of fate I have been asked to perform a set of background music next weekend. So that means I get to inflict my 12/2 on the public, must rush to get Arietta ready, but pretty sure there is not enough time to learn Remembrance (I have to organise/practise/choose the rest of the set).

That's great! Have fun with it. If you're performing this as background music there probably won't be so much pressure or worry - and who knows, maybe a few people will actually listen instead of yakking constantly laugh

I got my copy of "Complete Lyric Pieces (Dover Ed.) yesterday and discovered that "Remembrances" is a waltz! It does look a tad difficult though (as do a lot of the other pieces) but I may try to tackle it myself soon.

Anyway - Good luck and enjoy yourself!

JF

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Why thank you very much smile From my memory of a couple of play throughs, Remembrances modulates and then modulates again in an odd but interesting way - just the kind of piece that could tangle you up if you didn't know it well enough. Yes of course it's a waltz - that's why it's lovely laugh

ok I'm going to play all 3 right now.

[Linked Image]
Alex Ross.
Nice to see so many Grieg enthusiasts smile Just to share some of my favourite Lyric Pieces:

op 12 no 4 Alvedans (Dance of the elves)
op 43 no 4 Liten fugl (Little bird)
op 54 no 2 Gangar (Pheasant march)
op 57 no 6 Hjemve (Homesickness)
op 65 no 5 I balladetone
op 68 no 5 Bådnlåt (Cradle song)
op 71 no 2 Sommeraften (Summer evening)
op 71 no 3 Småtroll (Little trolls)

Ragnhild

Last edited by ragnhildK; 02/20/11 09:59 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
... Remembrances modulates and then modulates again in an odd but interesting way - just the kind of piece that could tangle you up if you didn't know it well enough. Yes of course it's a waltz - that's why it's lovely laugh

smile thumb

I was looking thru the list of other publications from Dover found in "Lyric Pieces" and there are a lot of really interesting ones (found at doverpublications.com). Here are a few that would probably be of keen interest to some here who like the Grieg works:

Johann Strauss Jr. - Waltzes, Polkas and Other Dances for Solo Piano

Brahms - Complete Shorter Works for Solo Piano (incl. Waltzes)

Mendelssohn - Complete Songs Without Words for Piano

Scott Joplin - Complete Piano Rags

Chopin - Complete Masterpieces for Solo Piano: 46 Works (incl. Waltzes)

John Philip Sousa - Complete Marches in Piano Transcriptions

There are many, many others...a treasure trove of outstanding publications.

JF

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I am glad you like the book John. Remembrances looks more challenging note-wise but it is graded at the same level of difficulty (4) as Arietta.

Christine

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

How COOL is that?? Have a lot of fun!!!!!

Christine

[Linked Image]
K
K
OK, here's my Op12 no 2. I did a couple of takes. The first one was fine all the way through but I flubbed the coda. This one has a couple of stumbles but I played through them so here it is. I thought I'd just post it here rather than the piano bar.

http://www.box.net/shared/0p4uumzz69

JF - a couple of things, one - Grieg is often easier than it looks on paper, his music tends to fall under the fingers very well (unlike Bach, Beethoven, Schumann...) so don't be put off by how difficult some of these pieces look. There *are* some very advanced ones in there, but I see this as a book to grow into, and return to time and again as my playing (hopefully) improves.
Secondly, Dover editions are usually reprints of older editions. In some cases this is great (e.g. the Grieg which is a reprint of the Peters edition which is still the best) but in others e.g. (I think) the Beethoven sonatas or the Well-tempered Clavier, there are better modern editions. In general though, they are great, and really good value. Worth looking into each one individually to see how well that edition is regarded. They are always well bound on nice paper, and very good value.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
That was absolutely LOVELY Keemanan!!!!! Thank you for sharing it!!!! thumb

Are you working on any of the other pieces??

Christine

[Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Keemanan, thank you for the nice music. I confess that the only Grieg piece i heard was grieg concerto in a minor. I did not know there were so many nice pieces within my reach. I looked at his music in the link below. The link is from a local university for everyone. you may find other composer you like by following the link under CosandScores.

http://waltercosand.com/CosandScores/Composers%20E-K/Grieg,%20Edvard/

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
OK, here's my Op12 no 2. http://www.box.net/shared/0p4uumzz69

Very nicely done KeemaNan! Good tempo and phrasing, and really nice Rits. You brought out the LH melody very well in the B section and slowed the tempo down just right in the C section (so to speak laugh ) or Coda - that's about as good as anything I've heard on YT thumb

And thanks for the encouragement and adviceon the Dover editions.

JF

K
K
GlassLove, FarmGirl, John Frank, thanks, glad you liked it. GL - I'm not working on any more at the moment but sometime soon I'll tackle some more (this thread has got me interested in these pieces again). Probably "In ballad style" or "Remembrance". Too busy with Bach at the moment. That does NOT fall under my fingers !

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I like your feel in the coda Keemanan, and the danceyness of your rhythm. It's such a pretty piece and satisfying to play around with. I noticed that you have different grace notes in the last few bars (that made me sit up and go check my score!). After Bach the Lyric pieces will probably seem a lot easier smile

One of my students is now very inspired to learn this too.

Thank you Glasslove, I will try to have fun...

[Linked Image]
Alex Ross.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
- Grieg is often easier than it looks on paper, his music tends to fall under the fingers very well (unlike Bach, Beethoven, Schumann...) so don't be put off by how difficult some of these pieces look.

Terrific job on that piece. I started first with this one as well.

I attempted a second Grieg piece this afternoon - Phantom - and the left hand DOES NOT fall under the fingers very well. ha I put that one away fairly quickly.

Oh well. I printed out a bunch of his pieces from IMSLP so I'll try another one tomorrow!

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission