2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1624682 02/20/11 08:29 PM
C
CraigG Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I've just started work on Beethoven's Op. 13, 1st movement. After studying the score and formulating a plan, I figure it will take me about 5 months to learn this piece. This will be the most difficult piece I have attempted to date.

For some of the more proficient players here, does this seem like it might be either too short or too long to learn something like this? Just curious how long it might have taken you.

And yes, I know what my teacher thinks.

Ignorance is not a point of view.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I haven't studied this sonata, but besides the predictable "what does your teacher think?" response, I will also add that it really all depends on you. And largely up in the air are your 1) current ability, 2) available time, and 3) determination.

In terms of timelines, last year when I was handed three pieces to learn in one semester, I found that setting weekly goals (for the entire semester) definitely helped me out. Most weeks I was ahead of my own goal, and this helped the couple times I came across sections that took me longer to "get" than I had initially allocated.

If you haven't already, really look at the score, and break it up into sections, and set a realistic amount of time for you to learn that section. Of course, if your goal is to have the piece performance ready in 5 months, then I would definitely want to have all the notes under my fingers in no more than 2 to 2.5 months.

Plan out your 5 months, and make sure you think your weekly goals are realistic for you.

Good luck!

-Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
C
CraigG Offline OP
OP Offline
C
My goal is to have the notes under my fingers, at a relatively moderate tempo, in about 5 months. I am hoping to perform this in about 8 months from now. There is no way I could perform this in 5 months...

I broke up the score into various phrases or sections which I felt I could accomplish in a week each, and I'm starting at the end and working backwards to the beginning.

I have the determination, and I think I have the time (my boy is 6 weeks old, so we'll see on that one). Time will tell if I actually have the ability, but I think I do.

But if performance majors are telling me that they would require 5 months to learn something like this, then I know I might be out to lunch and need to re-evaluate. Just looking for some perspective, I guess.

Congratulations on the birth of your child.

Last edited by DissonantTurtle; 02/20/11 11:38 PM.
Cool piece by the way. That's a big project but that would be very rewarding to have that in your arsenal.

C
CraigG Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by DissonantTurtle
Congratulations on the birth of your child.

Thanks. He's definately more of a Romantic fan, though. Beethoven might not be his thing (just yet)...

Originally Posted by DissonantTurtle
Cool piece by the way. That's a big project but that would be very rewarding to have that in your arsenal.

By far my favourite Beethoven sonata! I've been waiting to start this for quite some time.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission