2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
As an American couple living in England, I'd like to mention a few things I see asked. Questions about internet service or cell phone for example. Yes, we cannot do without these things anymore but also think about this trip we are about to take on, some of you to Europe for the first time. This trip will keep you very busy, there is a lot covered in a short time. The idea is to have fun and see sights, not worry about your e-mail or facebook page, you have a lifetime to deal with that, this will be the only time you will ever do a trip like this, think more about having a good camera than internet service.

Now, what about cell phone & internet? We use a pay-as-you-go cell phone and it has worked everywhere in the world (and I do travel the world), most likely your phone will work as well. For the few times you need to make or receive a call, it is worth the small extra cost. Most hotels will have internet and if you're spending more than an hour a day on the computer (or cell phone) on this trip, you might as well stay home.

Some have asked about learning German, I've been learning for about 2 years using Rosetta Stone and an on-line program called Rocket German, and even then I only understand about 15% of what someone is saying BUT I usually can work out what they said from the words I know. I do not recommend buying Rosetta Stone unless you make a long term commitment, with the time we have left before the tour starts it is not worth the cost. Your trip will be a lot more fun if you learn just three simple words, hello, goodbye, thank you. The Rocket German course has a free 6 day sample that is perfect for 3 months we have left to learn some common everyday real German. http://learn.rocketlanguages.com/german/premium

[Linked Image]
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks Jim, good points.

And I agree, anyone who feels compelled to be on their iPhone/iPad/computer rather than take in all this trip has to offer, probably isn't on the right trip.

That said, I have nobody to run Piano World if I don't.
While we have very capable moderators on the forums, and I'm lucky to have a woman in CT who takes care of filling orders from our online store... I'm the person who runs Piano World.

I intend to keep my Internet time to a minimum (although I'll also be anxious to post about the tour), but I will definitely need to have access.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

I have reserved a place for the two days in Vienna! Ok, true I have seen the sights before, but it's really the chance to get to know the people from PW that I look forward to.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
That's great tnew, looking forward to meeting you!

Best,

Frank B.
Piano World

I assume that we're still supposed to have the next 25% installment due on March 1st? The same amount as the first deposit?

B
B
Thank you for posing this question. I'm tired of assumptions. I hear nothing from the travel agent and I have made my initial deposit and want to go on this trip. I don't believe I should have to keep begging the question. They should be sending invoices and keeping track of their clients.

Can someone please get the ball rolling on the way to go about doing professional business. They have my address and number and I hear nothing! I'm not a happy camper at this point.

Bachsky

1904 Henry F. Miller Concert Grand * 2002 Estonia 190 Satin Bubinga * 2008 Schulze-Pohlman vertical 125 polished cherrywood peacock design * 2008 Schoenhut minature grand (49 keys) * 2008 Roland Digital Harpsichord, 2010 Roland FP-4 (88 key slab).
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
+1

Steinway 1905 model A, rebuild started 2008, completed 2012
Yahama CVP-401
Will somone get my wife off the Steinway so I can play it!
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Bachsky,
I know Elle has sent out emails to everyone who signed up for the tour.
Are you saying you haven't received any of them?

Or are you saying you contacted her and she didn't reply?
I ask because I know she is very good about answering inquiries, usually within one day (have to allow a little time for the time difference, she is in Germany).

As for the payments, the schedule is posted in the pdf, and was sent in the emails she sent out before. The only thing that changed was we pushed back the initial deposit because we had a few people who needed to be sure they could join us before they sent their deposits in, which they did.

The rest of the schedule has not changed.

When I last heard from Elle (a couple of days ago) she said she was going to work on a new email this weekend and send it out this week. It would contain updates and details about the next payment.

I've also asked her (and the agency) to keep an eye on this thread. If she is she should see your post(s), if she isn't/doesn't I will remind her she agreed to watch this thread.

As I've mentioned before, if anyone feels they are not getting the response they expect from our travel agency, let me know. I will make sure you get the answers you are looking for. I have personally found them to be very responsive, as have others I've spoken with.

I've posted my contact info before, but if you don't have it, my direct email is frank_baxter@pianoworld.com my phone is the same as the main Piano World number (860) 741-2625 the agency emails and 800 #s are posted earlier in this thread.

I don't want anyone to feel they aren't being taken care of, every one of you are important to me and to the tour.

I want this to be a tour to remember, for all the right reasons.

Do not wait until you are perturbed about something, call the agency directly, email me, call me, whatever it takes.

I am on the road right now so I only have limited access to email and the internet, but I will be back in the office on Wednesday. In the meantime I'll try to keep an eye on things but I'm visiting my sister and she only has dial up.

With over 1000 emails to get through, on a slow computer, on a dial up connection, I'm not going to be able to keep up.

Keep a positive attitude folks, this is going to be a fun trip!

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

B
B
Frank,

Thank you for the positive response. I did hear from Elle today and she was most helpful. I'm sorry for my anxiousness, but I am used to more detail in print from the travel agents that I have worked with in the past.

I think I am squared away now.

I hope you have had a pleasant visit with your sister and that you won't be overwhelmed with a backlog of emails when you return.

Bachsky

1904 Henry F. Miller Concert Grand * 2002 Estonia 190 Satin Bubinga * 2008 Schulze-Pohlman vertical 125 polished cherrywood peacock design * 2008 Schoenhut minature grand (49 keys) * 2008 Roland Digital Harpsichord, 2010 Roland FP-4 (88 key slab).
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I know there are stil a few people out there who would like to join us.
We can still get you in if you contact Elle or me right away.

This is not just a "piano tour", it is also an exciting and fun filled European tour that happens to be built around a love of pianos and music.

You will be traveling in comfort, with a guide and driver who know their way around. Your tour mates will all be folks like yourself who have an affection for the piano and for music.

You will have 12 full days of fun and adventure traveling through some of the prettiest and most historic areas of Germany and Austria.

Some of our tour members are even arriving early and/or leaving later to take in additional sights and sounds while they are in Europe.

Come on, you won't ever do it any younger!

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Posted some updated on the first page, check them out.

Listed the people who have sent their deposits in, and added a list
of the hotels we will be staying in.

Still like to add some more participants if you're interested.

We only need one more, and the price will drop over $1000.00 per couple!

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

In case it helps for time in Vienna, you can find public transport information in english at this link:
Wienerlinien

You can find a map of the subway (U-bahn) under the 'downloads' link at the top of the page.

I see you are staying at Westbahnhof which is on the U3 subway line. It's convenient since it takes you directly to Stephansplatz (Stephans cathedral) which is at the heart of the town center in the 1st district. Everything in the first district is within walking distance then. More museums than anyone will probably have time to visit.

It is also possible to walk from the hotel to Mariahilferstrasse which is a popular shopping street. It is quite a walk from one end (westbahnhof) to the other (ringstrasse) but still doable. Lots and lots of shops along that stretch.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Well, obviously if we don't get another person, we should all chip in to buy another one (about $200 per person) and save $300 per person. That's always the weird thing about setting thresholds for price drops.

Yahama CVP-401
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
So here's the math, using the rates quoted on page 1 -

19 persons at $4,391 = $83,429

20 persons at $3,860 = $77,200

There's just no way it can cost more IN ABSOLUTE dollars for 19 than for 20. It should be somewhat less because of a smaller bus (again based on page 1) and fewer meals.

A reasonable rate would be to divide the $77,200 by 19 resulting in $4,063. I know this may have to be adjusted for currency fluctuations, but that's another matter.

Yahama CVP-401
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bart Kinlein
Well, obviously if we don't get another person, we should all chip in to buy another one (about $200 per person) and save $300 per person. That's always the weird thing about setting thresholds for price drops.

Would that it were that simple Bart.

Tours are like cruises, they count on more actual people, not just hard dollar amounts.
Why? Because people tend to spend additional money over and above the package, on souvenirs, drinks, tips, etc. Same reason cruise ships will sometimes discount cabins, because they want to get the bodies on board.

We still have a few people who claim to be interested in the tour, and I'm still doing more promoting. I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up more participants.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano World
Tours are like cruises, they count on more actual people, not just hard dollar amounts.
Why? Because people tend to spend additional money over and above the package, on souvenirs, drinks, tips, etc. Same reason cruise ships will sometimes discount cabins, because they want to get the bodies on board.

The following story, circa 1955, made the features page of the Chicago Tribune. My grandmother (born ca. 1875) arranged a dinner at a hotel for a charitable group she was involved in, at a price of about $4.00 per person. Her niece held an event at the same hotel, same menu, for only $2.50. My grandmother called the hotel manager to complain. He responded, "These young people order drinks, and I make money on that. All you oldsters ever do is ask for more rolls and butter."

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Good example Palindrome :-)

Come on folks, there is still a little time left to jump on board.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

I have a bag question !! I've noted that we're allowed only one bag? (I'm assuming that an additional carry-on that we handle ourselves is going to be OK.) I'm going to be gone a little over two weeks and a friend who travels to Germany every other year advised me that it may still be a little cool there in June and to plan layers to wear. I'm trying to figure out what and how to pack. And, I'm sure that I'll buy a few items along the way and need a little extra space to accomodate shopping.

What size suitcase are you planning to bring? And, maybe the question should be asked-is there a size restriction? Or, just airline size and weight restrictions?

I just drove past your Vienna hotel yesterday. They are renovating the Westbahnhof across the street so the view won't be very pretty outside the street front windows frown But the courtyard rooms should be nice.

It can range from hot to cold in June, and all between. I suggest equal number of short sleeves and long sleeves, a couple pullovers plus a wind breaker or not too thick raincoat with a hood (no fun being soaked if it rains). Also hat and sunglasses for the sunny days. Oh, and good walking shoes.

I'm not so strong so I like to take as small a bag as possible in case there are any stairs. But most airlines allow one or two bags up to 23kg (total) + plus a carry-on. I personally like small carry-ons because they fit better into overhead bins on the plane. Probably not good to get too large a bag because if it comes overweight, the fees can be enormous now days. And unfortunately the rules are not always applied consistently from airport to airport (even on the same airline). If you find out at check-in that you are over the limit, you typically have to leave the que, move to another one at the ticketing counter to pay and get a receipt, and return back to the check-in line again with proof of payment. It can be tedious. Probably better to get to the airport early if you plan on having excess luggage.

Sorry for jumping in, but I am really excited for all of you. It's going to be a great trip!

Last edited by tnew; 03/21/11 03:23 PM.
While some airlines may allow 2 bags, I understood that the tour would only transport one piece?

But, you bring up another concern-that of weight. Thanks for the clothing recommendations.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission