Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1625653 - 02/21/11 11:45 PM Kawai CP139 or Clavinova CVP505?
hermie Offline

I know this is apples and oranges, but as far as I can tell the CP139 falls somewhere between the CVP503 and the CVP505 in terms of features.

There's one dealer here in the Upper Midwest that handles both Kawai and Yamaha. They don't seem willing to budge from $5990 USD for the CVP505, and $4300 for the Kawai.

Do these prices seem reasonable? Anyone have a strong opinion about the two in comparison. I know it's probably a matter of which one sounds and feels better to me, but I'm addled. I think the Clav is more pleasing to play, but I'm going back and forth some. I don't know that the price difference is worth it.

I'd so appreciate any opinions.

Thanks in advance,

David

PS I've been assuming I'd buy a "cabinet" piano in deference to my wife's aesthetics, but if anyone could suggest a stage piano with similar sound/touch/features that would be more affordable, maybe I should broaden my horizon.

Edited by hermie (02/21/11 11:53 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1625657 - 02/21/11 11:57 PM Re: Kawai CP139 or Clavinova CVP505? [Re: hermie]
dewar Offline

For the 505 that's about right, though maybe a few hundred less.

For instance this one brand new is selling for about 5750 shipping included.

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-CVP-505-CLAVI...=item41571262ae

For 500 bucks id got on a road trip myself. Unless the piano's polished ebony. Then it would shoot up an extra 5 or 600

Edited by dewar (02/21/11 11:59 PM)

#1625665 - 02/22/11 12:18 AM Re: Kawai CP139 or Clavinova CVP505? [Re: hermie]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
When you say that "they don't seem willing to budge ...", I wonder what were the circumstances.

Did you make an offer?

#1625671 - 02/22/11 12:32 AM Re: Kawai CP139 or Clavinova CVP505? [Re: MacMacMac]
hermie Offline

Thanks for responding.

A month ago, I was told 5999. I was in a different store last week (same company), and was told the lowest was 6700. A few days later I asked if they could get it closer to 5000. He said it was on the list at 5990. They quote it as something firm on their list of available instruments.

#1625672 - 02/22/11 12:39 AM Re: Kawai CP139 or Clavinova CVP505? [Re: dewar]
hermie Offline

Originally Posted By: dewar

For instance this one brand new is selling for about 5750 shipping included.

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-CVP-505-CLAVI...=item41571262ae

I've seen the ebay ads for this company. Do you know anything about them? As I understand it, Yamaha does not permit their products to be sold online. Is there anything to be concerned about with respect to the quality of their merchandise, or their source? They seem to be the only ones doing this.

Thanks for your response.

#1625675 - 02/22/11 12:45 AM Re: Kawai CP139 or Clavinova CVP505? [Re: hermie]
dewar Offline

Not sure. They could be a 3rd party resales. Get piano's on the cheap somewhere and resell.

I mean it's not really a dealership. It would just be some people with a bunch of product to sell.

I'm surprised dealers haven't done it. Use a 3rd party company to get their goods out there on the net to see. Customer orders from the 3rd party, the 3rd party puts in an order at the dealer, 3rd party picks it up, ships it, and the dealer gets the much needed sales.

#1625857 - 02/22/11 10:44 AM Re: Kawai CP139 or Clavinova CVP505? [Re: dewar]
hermie Offline

Originally Posted By: dewar
Not sure. They could be a 3rd party resales. Get piano's on the cheap somewhere and resell.

Could be. Maybe I'll try to reach them by phone. I also wonder if there's a down side in not having a local entity for service if there are problems.

#1625883 - 02/22/11 11:21 AM Re: Kawai CP139 or Clavinova CVP505? [Re: hermie]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I bought the piano at a local dealer. But the dealer doesn't do ANY service. There are local shops that provided this service for me. He has no relationship to the dealer.

In short, the piano dealer took my money and delivered the piano. Nothing more.

#1626418 - 02/23/11 02:33 AM Re: Kawai CP139 or Clavinova CVP505? [Re: hermie]
MikeVB Offline

Loc: California, USA
Coincidentally, I just purchased the Kawai CP139 this month. Yes, $4,300 is a pretty good price. I ultimately paid $3,900 out the door/out of my pocket complete. That is including taxes (0% from a no sales-tax state), and no delivery or setup charge. To be fair, I actually paid $4,000 but if one purchases the piano in the month of February as I did you get $100 off in the "Great Kawai Rebate program.

Otherwise and regrettably, I'm not familiar with, don't own or haven't played the other pianos you mention so can't compare them to the CP139. But I will say this, not just because I've wanted a Kawai since I first heard one of their acoustics in the 70s (it is replacing my Korg), the sound on this thing is truly amazing. I first and foremost wanted a piano that replicates the sound of a grand as close as one could imagine a digital could. For me this does it. But over and above that there are tons of features, mostly very worthy and productive but also a few bells and whistles. Particularly enjoyable is that there are 900+ onboard sounds (even something like 40 or 50 different pianos AND organs, EACH) as well as the 16-track recorder just to mention what I feel are the best things about it. It is solidly built, looks wonderful and I feel I've only scratched the creative surface with it. I know I'll get years and years of enjoyment out of it. Could I have bought another DP and been satisfied with it too? Certainly. But I have to say that I am completely and unequivocally happy with my Kawai.

Best of luck on whatever you ultimately decide.

#1626535 - 02/23/11 09:33 AM Re: Kawai CP139 or Clavinova CVP505? [Re: MikeVB]
hermie Offline

Originally Posted By: MikeVB
Coincidentally, I just purchased the Kawai CP139 this month. Yes, $4,300 is a pretty good price. But I have to say that I am completely and unequivocally happy with my Kawai.

Best of luck on whatever you ultimately decide.

I was about to write "isn't anyone going to champion the Kawai?" this morning, when I opened the board and found your posting. Thanks, and congratulations on your purchase. It's helpful to hear your enthusiasm.

#1627101 - 02/23/11 11:46 PM Re: Kawai CP139 or Clavinova CVP505? [Re: hermie]
MikeVB Offline

Loc: California, USA
You're welcome. But quite sincerely, the Kawai is a beautiful instrument and needs no extra praise over and above what it inherently offers. Even so, should you get no definitive postings identifying fair and accurate comparisons, at some point you may end up just spinning your wheels over things entirely subjective. At that point you should just trust your gut instincts and please yourself. You can hardly go wrong.

#1892655 - 05/07/12 02:01 AM Re: Kawai CP139 or Clavinova CVP505? [Re: hermie]
Bn2brazil Offline

I just bought a Kawai CP139 for a total of $3,600. 

I first went to Carnes piano in San Jose, CA.  Talked with Bozkurt.  He was extremely helpful in explaining sound and performance differences across product lines.  They didn't have any CPs to try out.  I went to LA for business.  Visited a Kawai dealer there.  They helped me decide on the model I wanted but I was wary of their price--around $4,800.  I saw people online talking about prices closer to $3,800, but wasn't sure if I could trust a forum post.  I called Bozkurt just to compare prices and without telling him the LA price or the online price he quoted about $3,800!!  I was pretty bugged that the LA store tried to get me to pay so much more.  Went back to Carnes as soon as I got home.  Final price $3,500 after shipping, taxes, and rebate.  I had to wait a few extra weeks because they didn't have it in stock but it was worth it.  Great piano.  Honest pricing.  Excellent service.

Piano research results to follow.

I compared Kawai CA63, CA93, CP117, Yamaha CVP501, CVP503.

I am an intermediate piano player but I love to play by ear. I can easily spend over an hour in the evenings just playing around and discovering new songs and melodies. I read sheet music very slowly but then I can memorize it easily.

My observations:

- Yamaha piano bass notes sound more muffled than the Kawai.
-The other Yamaha  instrument voices felt more realistic than Kawai in both sound and performance(how the sound responded to key action)--guitar, brass, strings, etc.
-Yamaha prices--501:$4200, 503:$5300
-no touch screen on the 501 or 503
-plastic key feel on the 501 and 503

-CA93 best performance feel for digital piano-wooden keys, key release, sound board.
-CA63 small step down in performance-wooden keys
-CP139 same as CA63 but with added instrument and rhythm voices-wooden keys, touch screen 
-CP117 plastic keys and less sounds than CP139

-I prefer the Kawai piano sound over the Yamaha.
-The Kawai digital pianos have the same unique sound as their acoustic models--I specifically notice this in the bass notes--a very rich sound.

#1892663 - 05/07/12 02:22 AM Re: Kawai CP139 or Clavinova CVP505? [Re: hermie]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Bn2brazil, congratulations on your purchase!

I believe you've paid a good price for a versatile instrument.

If you are willing, please add the purchasing information to the 'Piano Prices Paid' thread at the top of this forum.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Studio monitors for a digital piano
by diegopefm
51 minutes 12 seconds ago
Has anyone tried out wireless USB hubs for software pianos?
by Allan W.
Today at 02:34 AM
What books do you use for teaching beginners?
by Daffodil
Today at 12:54 AM
Help buying digital piano for my son
by roomservicetaco
Yesterday at 11:54 PM
Headphone impedance for DP90se
by lunobili
Yesterday at 10:29 PM
Who's Online
64 registered (bennevis, Abby Pianoman, 36251, BearLake, 17 invisible), 811 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76250 Members
42 Forums
157619 Topics
2315167 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission